Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I guess I'd maybe use it in a level 0 Trish deck and then upgrade out of it? Then again there's the options she can already have that are good and take up the same slots, I could see taking this, lockpicks and Cypher.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I think Fake Credentials is just one of those cards that exists for the sake of a new character (with 4 intellect and a free parley action every turn). If an old character might possibly run it as well in some circumstance that's bonus.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It does seem like it's pretty tailor-made for Allesandra. With Fine Clothes that's a guaranteed success on everything except auto-fail for the first two clues.

For everyone else it's weirdly limited. 3 resources and taking up a hand slot means you're competing with stuff like Lockpicks and Damning Testimony, as people have mentioned. Illicit means you could put it in Black Market and get it out quick/cheap with Fence, but that doesn't really seem like enough to make it worth including.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

NRVNQSR posted:

This phrasing is pretty normal; compare Spectral Razor, for example.
Ah fair enough, must not have encountered it much in the sets I have but thanks for clearing it up!

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Okay, it dawns on me that you can flash your Fake Credentials at an enemy to have them let you past a locked door, which while mechanically seems still to niche, is thematically cool as hell.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fake Credentials sounds like a must for Excelsior Hotel. Just have someone put on a suit and dual-wield the fake IDs as the sled dogs carry them through the hallways.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Nebrilos posted:

Don't you think Spectral Razor is kind of overtuned? Compare it to Blinding Light, One-two Punch and Backstab.
Blinding light is very underpowered. One 2 punch is great in Nathaniel, it’s a three damage event you can search for. Backstab does a lot of damage, costs a lot, and uses a rogue stat, I would put it in “OK but mostly a combo piece”.

Regarding the credentials:
If it didn’t exhaust, it would be a great combo with a sleight of hand. Currently, its best combo pieces are treacheries that send your hand slots back your hand of cards.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 11, 2023

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

More new cards:

Speaking of cards designed specifically for one of the new investigators. Key of Solomon is really strong, but it has to be for 4 XP and a hand slot.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 11, 2023

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Purified seems super good for anyone traveling with a rogue.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ubik_Lives posted:

Okay, it dawns on me that you can flash your Fake Credentials at an enemy to have them let you past a locked door, which while mechanically seems still to niche, is thematically cool as hell.

The card is thematically cool as hell just in general.

*a dozen eyeball stalks glance back and forth between you and your ID*

*the writhing, gelatinous mass of Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker Beyond the Threshold, shifts subtly—a nod of approval for you to proceed with your investigation*

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Kalko posted:

The card is thematically cool as hell just in general.

*a dozen eyeball stalks glance back and forth between you and your ID*

*the writhing, gelatinous mass of Yog-Sothoth, The Lurker Beyond the Threshold, shifts subtly—a nod of approval for you to proceed with your investigation*
Likewise, I got to play with taboo'd parlay in my deck for the first time this campaign and it was very fun. We had some good laughs asking the big angry snake monsters in the forest to politely stop trying to kill us just for now if that's OK thanks.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So you spoke to Ichtaca is what you're saying?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Orange Devil posted:

So you spoke to Ichtaca is what you're saying?
Coincidently, yes, we won the campaign though the Ichtaca parley and only flipping the one location for Yig because we got some heavy bad luck early in the scenario and we thought it might be our only win condition.
We wana go back and side with humanity at some point!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

More MORE MOAR

Well-dressed is great for Alessandra, but also really good for all of those early parley tests that campaigns like to throw at you. You can then upgrade out of it.

Transmogrify is pretty neat. This and Purified both feel like good cards to pair with a Rogue but also it can take the knees out from under a bunch of weaknesses. Follow this you recurring bitch! It will also stop the new Elusive trait from triggering so thats another benefit.

Kates backside is verrry boring. It's another case where her deckbuilding is her class and then cards that are 95% in her class anyway. Lucky thing her ability is cool.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 13, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Transmogrify is a lot of fun.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Transmogrify is a flavour/mechanical slam dunk. Almost makes me want to try a mad scientist run for my first play-through. Note that you can grab a clue after you first attach it.

Well-Dressed seems good despite its conditional, because four wild icons is a lot and some of the new parley cards seem really good.

Here's all of Kate's stuff, for reference:

Kalko fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 13, 2023

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder what non-seeker science cards are coming out this set, because right now science 0-4 (lmao the scientist doesn't get top level science) only gets her Emergency Aid and First Aid

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
To be fair, if your last experiment killed two people on university grounds, yeah, I can imagine there would be some difficulties in getting grant approval for the most cutting edge tech.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ubik_Lives posted:

To be fair, if your last experiment killed two people on university grounds, yeah, I can imagine there would be some difficulties in getting grant approval for the most cutting edge tech.

But not by as much as you might think. This is Miskatonic U after all.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Insight is more useful than science. Scout ahead for movement, scene of the crime for whatever enemy you’ve transmogrified. You can also take some edge case survivor and Mystic cards, especially if you like dilemmas.

But like Father Mateo, her weirdo deck building might be the next box or the one after.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 13, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Excited to see some more insights trickle in for Joe.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

But not by as much as you might think. This is Miskatonic U after all.

See you say that, but archeological funding contracts limit us to killing no more than one person per accident! How are we supposed to advance our fields under these conditions?!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ubik_Lives posted:

See you say that, but archeological funding contracts limit us to killing no more than one person per accident! How are we supposed to advance our fields under these conditions?!

Invest in Teddy Bears and Leather Coats :colbert:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

How does thread feel about playing a campaign with the investigators that come with it vs any in your collection?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

No sense in restricting to the release set, they often don’t even have any plot connection to the campaign. Go nuts.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah even less so now that the new investigators and card box comes out a month or so before the new campaign.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

kaffo posted:

How does thread feel about playing a campaign with the investigators that come with it vs any in your collection?

I bought the campaigns in release order so I generally play the ones from the campaign unless there's an investigator better suited to it. I took Carolyn for Dream Eaters for instance. Usually their playstyle gets supported by the cards from that expansion.

That doesn't matter as much on a replay though. I just use whoever I haven't played yet and looks neat then.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

kaffo posted:

There are generally scenario challenges that are well addressed by the characters that come with it. Silas is great at fighting and evading, and both are useful against the Innsmouth monsters. Bob Jenkins plays items and you get an absolute ton of them in Edge of the Earth.

If I’m going for a custom campaign, I focus on flexibility (with Amanda and Diana as standby picks).

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Interesting

We decided as a group we'd try to use investigators from the same set just for fun really and to force us a little to try characters we might not pick first. But the above all makes sense.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

New Survivor cards:

https://derbk.com/ancientevils/the-feast-of-hemlock-vale-hatchet-and-token-of-faith/

Hatchet is pretty wierd. It gives most investigators who can take it a huge boost, even Wendy can swing this easily, but the discard mechanic makes it awkward to use. I guess it pares decently with Pitchfork since you do need some way to handle 4+ health enemies if you're using Pitchfork as your primary weapon. You just need a way to hold both.

Upgraded Token of Faith is a good upgrade, but a bit pricey for 3xp.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Hatchet is a way for Rita to do burst damage. Hit for two, dodge. And for one XP you can keep them around, and do the killing blow when you need to, recurring with standard survivor tech.

Gives her some flexibility for enemy management, because previously it was bow, magic bow, or sledgehammer.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Token of faith seems great even at 3xp. Being able to save clutch tests from autofails is massive and the fact it works anywhere on the board for any of the other investigators too is incredible. It's also repeatable every single turn and as icing on the cake it adds bless tokens into the bag.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Token of faith seems great even at 3xp. Being able to save clutch tests from autofails is massive and the fact it works anywhere on the board for any of the other investigators too is incredible. It's also repeatable every single turn and as icing on the cake it adds bless tokens into the bag.

Well, you still suffer all the bad effects. So it's great on an investigate without haunted, a fight without retaliate, or an evade without alert. And it's good on certain objectives and "pass a test to discard this" mythos cards like Locked Door. But it's not gonna do poo poo against mythos phase tests for damage and horror, which is where most of the butt-clenching moments in the game are imo. I don't think it's very good - it'll save you an action here and there but for 3 xp? nah.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Feels like a combo piece when you’re planning to build around curses. Fun with Jaqueline and Olive level zero; the more tokens you see you’ll get out of it.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, you still suffer all the bad effects. So it's great on an investigate without haunted, a fight without retaliate, or an evade without alert. And it's good on certain objectives and "pass a test to discard this" mythos cards like Locked Door. But it's not gonna do poo poo against mythos phase tests for damage and horror, which is where most of the butt-clenching moments in the game are imo. I don't think it's very good - it'll save you an action here and there but for 3 xp? nah.

It saves ammo/charges too. And there are some effects like Damning Testimony that you are only allowed to try once per round. If you fail, well, gotta wait until next round.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Hand eye coordination + big sledgehammer = ker blam

Apparently someone asked the developers about this, and they clarified that Hand-Eye Coordination is meant to shave off only a single action - no cheesing Sledgehammer or any other multi-action cost weapon/tool with it. It's possible there may be a higher level version that ignores all costs, though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wouldn’t want a guardian having as much fun as a seeker now would we?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Inadequately posted:

Apparently someone asked the developers about this, and they clarified that Hand-Eye Coordination is meant to shave off only a single action - no cheesing Sledgehammer or any other multi-action cost weapon/tool with it. It's possible there may be a higher level version that ignores all costs, though.

Isn’t there a 0xp one that takes the sledgehammer from your discard and lets you use the triple action?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, it's a level 0 Survivor card, though the trade-off there is that it shuffles the card you use from your discard back into your deck, so if you want to cheese it you have to dig the Sledgehammer out of your deck and toss it back in the discard again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Fresh new spoilers:

Vamp is a potentially interesting one. Being able to drop a tough fight/evade test to a Parley (3) is handy and can shut down quite a few of the Rogue unique weaknesses, and the sheer versatility of it means you'll usually be able to find at least some use for it. It is, admittedly, a little funny to think about how exactly it works flavor-wise. You seduce the enemy through a display of raw physical might so impressive it deals them actual damage?

Not as impressed with Providential, 2xp for a one-time conditional Bless booster is a tough call, though maybe Survivors could spare the XP since they don't have much else to spend it on.