Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The poster energy steadily increases through Capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Capital's starting chapters are famously difficult and hard to get through in marxist literature, but the book is important and useful enough to power through.

Make sure you go back and reread commodity fetishism at some point.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
There really ought to be a "Marx's capital but readable" modern book out by now.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mila kunis posted:

There really ought to be a "Marx's capital but readable" modern book out by now.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I just started reading Capital today, and gently caress does Marx love to repeat himself. I swear this thing reads like he was getting paid by the column inch or something.

I'll get through it, but this is gonna be a bit more of a slog than I expected.

You can read chapter ten first to get yourself psyched up. The first three chapters are the hardest. I recommend reading through those twice and then keep going, even if you don't think you understand it after the second read.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol is this the book that doesn’t mention marx

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

lol is this the book that doesn’t mention marx

it's by the guy who said he couldn't get through Marx

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

even better!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

most people just complain. Tom did something about it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mawarannahr posted:

he said marx is too boring and also doesn’t have any data in capital so he didn’t read it

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
i know it's been mentioned itt fairly recently, but i cant find it; which english translation of Kapital do people recommend?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

stumblebum posted:

i know it's been mentioned itt fairly recently, but i cant find it; which english translation of Kapital do people recommend?

this is the one you want to get. it's a lot more accessible to modern readers.

quote:

In 2012, Red Quill Books released Capital: In Manga!,[18] a comic book version of Volume I which is an expanded English translation of the successful 2008 Japanese pocket version Das Kapital known as Manga de Dokuha.[19]

the original English translation was apparently done by Marx's daughter's bf and rubberstamped by Engels. i originally read the penguin version and not sure it's substantially different.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I felt like the original Samuel Moore translation that was overseen by Engels was perfectly serviceable when I read it (it's on marxists.org). I've not heard much criticism of any Kapital translations but that could just be due to it's length and penetrability issues that people talk about more often.

e: also the manga version is no replacement for the full text but it's genuinely pretty good

Nevil Maskelyne has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Dec 11, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

I felt like the original Samuel Moore translation that was overseen by Engels was perfectly serviceable when I read it (it's on marxists.org). I've not heard much criticism of any Kapital translations but that could just be due to it's length and penetrability issues that people talk about more often.

could be. i read some parts in Turkish translation and I think they were sometimes easier to understand (aside - I found some Russian novels easier to read in Turkish as well)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

stumblebum posted:

the penguin edition is the easiest one to find but has... issues.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is the penguin edition of capital regarded as good? i just found an error in vol 3 chapter 6

it should read, according to the marxist.com version:

quote:

Should the price of raw material fall by an amount = d, then s/C, or s/(c + v) becomes s/(C - d), or s/((c - d) + v). Thus, the rate of profit rises. Conversely, if the price of raw material rises, then s/C, or s/(c + v), becomes s/(C + d), or s/((c + d) + v), and the rate of profit falls.

however the penguin edition reads:

quote:

Should the price of raw material fall by an amount = d, then s/C, or s/(c + v) becomes s/(C - d), or s/((c - d) + v), and the rate of profit falls.

which threw me for a loop because obvisiouly the math does not work that way and contradicts exactly what marx is saying lol

the kerr edition or the one put out by the soviet union's printing press is regarded as the gold standard iirc

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
https://www.amazon.com/Capital-Critique-Political-Economy-Library/dp/B002ODA2DQ

used copies for about 10bux if you need to read this with your favorite pipe in your giant red winged chair by the fireplace while your pregnant maid darns your wife's stockings

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Ferrinus posted:

likewise, having to sell your wages to live is an accident of history. the same person can become or cease to be a proletarian at multiple times in their life through no effort or fault of their own. there is no eternal proletarian

the essence of proletarian remains, just as the essence of three remains.

sorry that the revolutionary class includes icky unvacced racists and excludes woke landlords and the trust funded

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the penguin edition is the easiest one to find but has... issues.

the kerr edition or the one put out by the soviet union's printing press is regarded as the gold standard iirc

I see your problem. The key to reading economics is to go blurry-eyed whenever the math comes in and just go with the vibes of what writer is saying.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

They sell this at marx haus and I wasn't paying attention when I bought it (I am often a mindless oaf) and when I examined the cover a day later when I was gone from Trier I was so unhappy

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
lol what a scam

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mr. Lobe posted:

They sell this at marx haus and I wasn't paying attention when I bought it (I am often a mindless oaf) and when I examined the cover a day later when I was gone from Trier I was so unhappy

lol owned

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

-Das Kapital, Vol. I

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what's the antithesis to piketty for bad recommendations for intro marx readers? althusser's reading capital maybe?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wretched of the earth by frantz fanon

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

The Voice of Labor posted:

sorry that the revolutionary class includes icky unvacced racists and excludes woke landlords and the trust funded

no! there is no "essence" of three! it's a post-hoc judgement! and as we can see, your insistence on eternal metaphysical essences turns out to immediately serve the purpose of fighting the woke mind virus or whatever

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

I, also, do not understand what "lumpenproletariat" means.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mycomancy posted:

you gotta be a member of a class in order to betray it genius

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you only have one commodity to sell and that commodity is your labor power, that puts you squarely in the proletariat. it doesn't matter if you want to give trump big wet smooches or if no one is interested in buying your labor power that's the class you're in.

that's an economic relation and a very simple, primary one

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mycomancy posted:

Low level career criminals who, instead of selling their labor, steal from those who labor to get by

Not to be confused with high level career criminals who extract value from laborers through ownership of the means of production

Basically gangsters, robbers, etc

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
lumpenproles are just the lower classes who lack class consciousness.

in the US, that's almost everyone

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
lumpenproletariat didn't really end up being a useful term of class description imo, especially not in the current day

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the point is you cant count on every NEET, or indeed every worker, as your ally because they may not understand the nature of their predicament or what their best interests are. thats as true now as it ever was.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

if you only have one commodity to sell and that commodity is your labor power, that puts you squarely in the proletariat. it doesn't matter if you want to give trump big wet smooches or if no one is interested in buying your labor power that's the class you're in.

that's an economic relation and a very simple, primary one

my god, it's so simple. just one quick question: is a beat cop in the proletariat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ferrinus posted:

my god, it's so simple. just one quick question: is a beat cop in the proletariat
copping ain't labor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mawarannahr posted:

copping ain't labor

what is it about copping that makes it not labor

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

copping ain't labor

and yet cops are paid in wages! curious!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fart simpson posted:

what is it about copping that makes it not labor

oppressing the proletariat is not a real job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
state and revolution, baby