Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

I didn’t know euros do not do the once weekly grocery run for all your food for the week. That explains some differences

I wish I had a nice affordable small grocery store within walking distance to my nice affordable small home. I wish a lot of things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My grandparents owned a small grocery store in a tiny, tiny little town on the Iowa border and that always felt to me like the ideal grocery. It had a little video and game rental section and when we stayed with them we had our pick of whatever was there (it wasn't a ton, but it was a good selection of SNES games and VHS movies.) Two medium sized rooms with a meat department in which my grandpa sliced and packaged all the meat, two checkout lanes. They lived in an apartment above the store that was basically one long hallway with bedrooms coming off of it, and they installed some track lighting so it had this very unique feel to it at night. I think about that place often. If that town could've simply been a neighborhood in a smaller city, it would've been a perfect place to live, but it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. There was even a public library like two doors down from it.

Anyway it was run out of business by a combination of a lovely gas station/grocery 7-Eleven type store and my grandparents retiring and selling the store and now it's an irregular hours bar or something in an otherwise dead little town so I guess that's how that got shittier

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Everybody complaining about weak packaging while I'm here gnawing on this pack of batteries thats encased in some form of ballistic kevlar and exotic carbon nanotube material. Its completely resistant to all forms of physical damage. I just want my key fob to work again, Duracell, is that too much to ask? Do I need to get James Caan in here with a fuckin plasma lance to open this tiny little vault you've constructed? Gimme the goddamn batteries you pricks

I wanna know how many kids actually swallow those things for all the fuss that's going on with product recalls, bitterant coatings and adult-proof packaging.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

do yall not have scissors

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Pick up a batarang from the flea market and every time you have to open a box with a USB cable you'll feel like the World's Greatest Detective.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

shazbot posted:

Not only is UX a self defeating position, so is QA. QA/UX are interchangeable in the following rant.

If you do a good job QA looks unnecessary and a waste of $$$. If you do a bad job, you get fired.

Only way out is to do a decent job and track every positive improvement you contributed to, present it to your manager, and get promoted into getting to tell others what to do, thus fulfilling the cycle.

Fortunately developers and UX are constantly breaking it, so if anything there isn't enough time in the day to log every bug. If you like complaining, there's job security through programming fuckups, and through C-suite meddling.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

shazbot posted:

Hahaha did you also just buy a 4-pack of 2032s

Lol yeah

~Coxy posted:

I wanna know how many kids actually swallow those things for all the fuss that's going on with product recalls, bitterant coatings and adult-proof packaging.

Not nearly enough

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

I learned that Switch game cards have that bitterant stuff and immediately went to lick one of mine

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Konar posted:

I learned that Switch game cards have that bitterant stuff and immediately went to lick one of mine

And?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Try using one of these monstrosities when you can't bend/twist at the waist, it's a hoot. Also I recently watched a dude in a wheelchair struggle to move all his poo poo from the right side to the left because each platform is a totally different height for some reason.

you still have plastic bags? lol you havent even lost the last freedom of the shopper - the ability to get a plastic bag, any time, anywhere, for free.

America will riot itself to ashes when that gets rolled out nationally.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Laserface posted:

you still have plastic bags? lol you havent even lost the last freedom of the shopper - the ability to get a plastic bag, any time, anywhere, for free.

America will riot itself to ashes when that gets rolled out nationally.

Most of the western states still offer plastic bags but you have to pay .10 cents per bag

so instead of curbing pollution, customers offset grocery store costs :rolleyes:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

The best software is old *nix utilities because the interface hasn't changed in 30 years because they already got it right, and then Windows users are all "who uses vim in 2023 :smug:" before they're all "THEY RUINED MY CHAT APP :supaburn:"

I guess what I'm saying is we should let crusty turbonerds at Berkeley write all software

Open source software ui is even worse, have you tried doing literally anything with the GIMP

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Adobe need to shut the gently caress up and understand that nobody likes PDF or adobe reader and all it needs to do (the free version) is open PDFs, print and allow people to e-sign forms.

literally nothing else. no tool bars, no menus, no side panels that refuse to recognise my preference for disabling it. Somehow they still cant even get their own print engine to print some PDFs correctly.

How did nobody come up with a better format than PDF in the last 30 years?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Mircrosoft had their own and it was somehow a million times worse. It was like their answer to photoshop was mspaint, but for real.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Laserface posted:

…How did nobody come up with a better format than PDF in the last 30 years?
It turns out that this poo poo is complicated. Who would have guessed?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Laserface posted:

Once something is business standard, it has tremendous momentum. Fax machines are still used. FORTRAN programmers are in demand.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Beachcomber posted:

Once something is business standard, it has tremendous momentum. Fax machines are still used. FORTRAN programmers are in demand.

FORTRAN and COBOL and maint on the machines are, like, paychecks upon paychecks.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Microsoft had a pretty easy to use free GIF animator several years ago that they abandoned pretty quickly. I think they more or less even pulled it off their website and it only survived due to being hosted on others for years, from what I recall.

I'm probably wrong, but I was guessing it likely had something to do with the GIF licensing rights or something, because I vaguely remember something about such a thing a year a few years later.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Laserface posted:

Adobe need to shut the gently caress up and understand that nobody likes PDF or adobe reader and all it needs to do (the free version) is open PDFs, print and allow people to e-sign forms.

literally nothing else. no tool bars, no menus, no side panels that refuse to recognise my preference for disabling it. Somehow they still cant even get their own print engine to print some PDFs correctly.

That's not true, it's also an important vector for malware.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I've been listening to a podcast whose ads are like twice as loud as the podcast itself. I'm not sure which is better the ad in Spanish I don't understand (I think it's for the local lottery though I've used my big brain to figure that out) or Cox which I can't get here. At least I don't think I can, this here is Comcast territory. Just advertise mattresses, and Squarespace for fucks sake.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 12, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Duck and Cover posted:

I've been listening to a podcast whose ads are like twice as loud as the podcast itself. I'm not sure which is better the ad in Spanish I don't understand (I think it's for the local lottery though I've used my big brain to figure that out) or Cox which I can't get here. At least I don't think I can, this here is Comcast territory. Just advertise mattresses, and Squarespace for fucks sake.

:chloe:

Podcasts are typically small enough that you can yell at the people making it and they actually might care. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

Then again I generally don't do podcasts with ad spots, even something like It can't happen here that otherwise am cool with but don't want to put up with Iheartradio's ad spots.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

skooma512 posted:

:chloe:

Podcasts are typically small enough that you can yell at the people making it and they actually might care. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

Then again I generally don't do podcasts with ad spots, even something like It can't happen here that otherwise am cool with but don't want to put up with Iheartradio's ad spots.

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY BEING LOUDER OTHERWISE I WON'T BUY YOUR EDIBLE DILDOS OR WHATEVER YOUR SELLING ME. ACTUALLY I'M GOING TO BE HONEST THAT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A PRODUCT I'D BUY NO MATTER HOW LOUD YOU YELLED.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 12, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

shazbot posted:

I have been bagging my own groceries since I was 16 and got a job as a bag boy. I know what I’m doing, it’s just easier. It’s not the labor that bothered me. It’s the Bzzt upc not complete. Bzzt unknown item in the bagging error. Bzzt too many upcs detected. Things like Is this a normal size or large artichoke? Oh no you’ve taken too many things off the bagging/weigh table to make more room to bag stuff. Clearly there are two sides here. Side A has tried it, lolled, and posted about it in this thread. Side B lols because they think the goons are too lazy to do their own bagging!

I don’t know who side B is or what they are astroturfing but self checkout is a goddamn scam.

Related, for the past 5 years or so our Fry’s (Kroger) had hired those with learning disabilities. To do menial (bagging and cart return) duties. My wife was a sped teacher and always enjoyed talking to one of these people in particular who also made it priority to bag our items (even though I would have preferred to do it myself).

Fry’s let her go so a lovely robot can make you do her job. She never should have had a job (UBI/disability) but nevertheless

Self checkout is great because it's really easy to shoplift that way

The companies are stealing from us already, why not steal back lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
If I want to self checkout I'll just look in the mirror :dadjoke:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

euphronius posted:

I didn’t know euros do not do the once weekly grocery run for all your food for the week. That explains some differences

Plenty common here?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I usually try to keep to once a week shopping, maybe twice if I forget something

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I accidentally opened a PDF on my home computer with Adobe Reader the other day. In the brief time before I closed it, it reopened the side panel I had hidden (where it gives you ads for other Adobe services), gave me an unsolicited pop-up tip about a pre-existing feature, put a shortcut to itself on my desktop, and created some scheduled tasks to run every time I turned on the computer (and once an hour afterwards) to constantly update itself.

Like, how is any of this OK?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
It's somebody's job

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
hooray I got to wait two weeks to find out that the game I ordered was indeed, vanished in the mail, and this indie boutique is really nonchalant about it (but that’s Swedish’s customer service, honestly).

I feel like a fogey being hung up on wanting physical media, I like having cartridge in hand. But it costs more to do so and good god I really hate dealing with anything going wrong here. Seems like no actual stores carry the game IRL, so now instead of supporting a small Swedish store I get to order from a large Spanish chain. I mean, Katamari isn’t obscure(?) but poo poo even the local Amazon websites don’t have it.

I’m guessing companies overall are making far less physical media, but I just hesitate to trust them with digital media over like 10USD.

Things are changing and I am old, and DO NOT ENJOY IT

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Laserface posted:

Just set your web browser to open PDFs by default. They do a fine job of it these days.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

FORTRAN and COBOL and maint on the machines are, like, paychecks upon paychecks.

I actually saw my first COBOL DEV DESPERATELY WANTED!!!! ad in the wild a couple of weeks ago, and it was like "starting pay 750k NOK (MORE POSSIBLE FOR RIGHT CANDIDATE!!!! PLEASE APPLY PLEASE)"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So what's stopping someone younger from learning COBOL and cashing in?

I guess it's not exactly being taught anywhere anymore and being self-taught isn't gonna cut it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

His Divine Shadow posted:

So what's stopping someone younger from learning COBOL and cashing in?

I guess it's not exactly being taught anywhere anymore and being self-taught isn't gonna cut it.

as someone who has gone on a fac/maint path in their career,

boomers who know their jobs are secure want to keep them secure until the day they die/retire and have no desire to teach anyone who might replace them.

This is now a widespread problem in industry.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

MrQwerty posted:

as someone who has gone on a fac/maint path in their career,

boomers who know their jobs are secure want to keep them secure until the day they die/retire and have no desire to teach anyone who might replace them.

This is now a widespread problem in industry.
Not to worry, because IBM has some magic beans "AI" that will translate all of it into Java.

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/58088-ibm-wants-to-use-ai-to-upgrade-cobol

SpazForPickles
Oct 7, 2005
Re: self checkouts

I was at a dollar store on the weekend and had to use the self checkout. When my items inevitably wouldn't scan properly, the attendant had to come over, put in her code and then *scan her fingerprint*. This was a new one for me, never seen anyone had to do that before.

Something about a minimum wage employee having to give their corporate overlord their fingerprint made me uncomfortable.

All hail capitalism.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

cat botherer posted:

Not to worry, because IBM has some magic beans "AI" that will translate all of it into Java.

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/58088-ibm-wants-to-use-ai-to-upgrade-cobol

lol developing AI to translate dead languages into a language everyone hates and doesn't want to use sounds like boomers creating fake job security for jobs they want to retire from to me, par for the course

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

SpazForPickles posted:

Re: self checkouts

I was at a dollar store on the weekend and had to use the self checkout. When my items inevitably wouldn't scan properly, the attendant had to come over, put in her code and then *scan her fingerprint*. This was a new one for me, never seen anyone had to do that before.

Something about a minimum wage employee having to give their corporate overlord their fingerprint made me uncomfortable.

All hail capitalism.

Fingerprint scanners as punch-in and -out time clocks are becoming more popular with kitchen and wait staff. I've seen them in diners, restaurants. And ppl in food service have told me they've seen them too.
Which is crazy because it's not like all these people are citizens.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

~Coxy posted:

The insatiable hunger for batteries that kids have these days definitely counts as something that got shittier for no good reason

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stop making them look like candy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This happens to me all the time now. I have to be super careful every time I open a resealable bag.

Gotta get a thumbnail in there to crack the seal and then it might go ok.