Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
King writes all his stuff on the fly (and for much of his prime with the help of tons of drugs) so it tracks that he does not have much interest in explanations for his ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
King knows people who use subtext, and he thinks they’re cowards

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It feels that King's work has similarities with Junji Ito in some ways, because often a thing happens, people just have to deal with it, and no one knows where it came from or why it went away. It just Happened one day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything the idea of fiction where people try to analyse supernatural/weird things and figure out how they work has always been on the more niche side of things, in no small part because a lot of the time they can't be expected to have any idea where to even start. That said, it is often interesting when characters are shown analysing or discussing something, how it works and what it does, especially when they're trying to figure out what the gently caress to do about it.

Rick and Morty recently experimented with the Pet Sematary to try and figure out its parameters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PP5J17olSE
Even further related to King, they buried a car in the Pet Sematary so I guess it'd come back as an evil car (but we don't see how that turned out)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

credburn posted:

That's generally King's whole thing.

Which if you can get behind, great. For me, I struggle with it, because while King is not interested in providing explanations, the characters in his books also aren't interested in finding one. If a portal opened up in my pantry, it's one thing to go on an adventure through it, but I don't think I'd ever stop asking or wondering or trying to figure out why there is a portal in my pantry. King's characters just shrug it off and go on to experience some fantasy horror.

This is mostly true, but my unspoken corollary was that the times he does try to explain things, it sucks rear end.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pet Sematary is another great example of "the whys and hows of this horror scenario are completely irrelevant to the story at hand and would suck the air out of the room if we decided to explore them, instead of telling the drat story," so, uh, thanks R&M

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Boy will these occultists be embarrassed when I explain how scientists are still debating where the line is to determine if something is in fact alive or not

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just imagining Satan and God chatting and Satan's like "You think the Jewish are good at rules lawyering? You should try dealing with a scientist... I just spent 2 hours trying to convince this idiot that his friend was dead and that his soul was legally mine, and he's just like 'No, his heart was still beating, the only activity that stopped was that of his higher brain. He was still respirating, therefore he was still alive! He never died, so you don't get his soul yet!'... Exhausting people..."

"I know, but you think they're bad? You should meet the philosophers, this prick called Pascal really got on my nerves..."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Terry Pratchett had a good riff on Pascal's Wager where the philosopher arrives in the afterlife to be met with a bunch of gods wielding clubs and saying "Oh look, it's Mister Clever".

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also apparently canon that Pennywise catches a ride in Christine at one point.

In IT, when Henry Bowers needs to get from the Derry Library to the Town House, Pennywise appears as his dead friend Belch and driving the car Butch Bowers had coveted: a red and white 1958 Plymouth Fury. It's a nice callback, except for one thing - according to King in the earlier book, Roland LeBay ordered Christine with a custom paint job because Plymouth didn't make the 1958 Fury in red and white. So the car in IT must be Christine.

But ... Henry also recalls his father taking him to see the car in the showroom, where it never would have been because LeBay had got it direct from the factory. And that implies that Christine may in fact be a manifestation of IT.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 11:33 on Dec 10, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

IT gets it's forms mixed up and he arrives at prom riding a giant spider made out of space.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Torquemada posted:

This is mostly true, but my unspoken corollary was that the times he does try to explain things, it sucks rear end.

It's a hard thing to actually do well, mostly because the explanations have to add something to the story. It's like comic book superpowers having ridiculous origins based on the poorly understood science and/or magic of the day, cept they frontload that- if it's something you reveal it has to be a satisfying one in some manner.

One of the fun things to do with it is have the characters theorise on what it might be, how it works, and never reveal if they're right- or have dangerously wrong assumptions and misunderstandings factor into the story. And even if you do reveal its nature, usually a good idea to leave some questions unanswered, especially if the characters have no reason to have the context or the opportunity to understand it.

Lovecraft could be pretty good at that sometimes, introducing weird poo poo and slowly revealing more about it, but throwing in some last minute twists, sometimes telegraphed, especially when just enough has been explained for the novelty to start to wear off.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Dec 10, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
It's name is It, not IT. I just mean, it's not an acronym or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

credburn posted:

It's name is It, not IT. I just mean, it's not an acronym or something.

IT likes to shout online.

But yeah, it's a funny thing and mostly goes back to the original book covers with their big red block text. It's easier to think of the book as IT than It, and in doing so it's also easier to think of Pennywise as IT than It. At the same time it clears up any confusion about what you're referring to, especially if "It" is the first word in the sentence.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Gremlins 2 had the best answer to smartasses who try to quibble over nonsensical supernatural rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz-9bU9dTuc

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s always jarring to see Robert Picardo with a full head of hair.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Eh. If you focus too much on why the portal is there, you spend less time exploring the portal.

Not really, this is one of those things you can do at the same time. In fact, exploring the portal might actually answer the question as to why it showed up in the firs tplace.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The entirety of House of Leaves is about exploring and measuring the portal.

Besides a large part of the footnotes.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’ll explore YOUR portal

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

freeedr posted:

I’ll explore YOUR portal

Pm me

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

N. Senada posted:

King knows people who use subtext, and he thinks they’re cowards

King knows subtext is an anagram for buttsex, that makes him good in my book

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a hard thing to actually do well, mostly because the explanations have to add something to the story. It's like comic book superpowers having ridiculous origins based on the poorly understood science and/or magic of the day, cept they frontload that- if it's something you reveal it has to be a satisfying one in some manner.

One of the fun things to do with it is have the characters theorise on what it might be, how it works, and never reveal if they're right- or have dangerously wrong assumptions and misunderstandings factor into the story. And even if you do reveal its nature, usually a good idea to leave some questions unanswered, especially if the characters have no reason to have the context or the opportunity to understand it.

Lovecraft could be pretty good at that sometimes, introducing weird poo poo and slowly revealing more about it, but throwing in some last minute twists, sometimes telegraphed, especially when just enough has been explained for the novelty to start to wear off.

Worm, the web serial, is nearly entirely devoted to exploring theories of how superpowers work and where they came from and the answer to both questions is critical to the final conflict

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Rick and Morty recently experimented with the Pet Sematary to try and figure out its parameters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PP5J17olSE
Even further related to King, they buried a car in the Pet Sematary so I guess it'd come back as an evil car (but we don't see how that turned out)

The part that everyone always seems to get wrong with Pet Sematary was that the area that brought back the dead wasn't the cemetery, but deeper into the woods. The cemetery was just a morbidly cutesy way that kids dealt with the grief of their pets dying.

And I'll admit, considering how R&M treated the Needful Things parody back in season 1, I was expecting another "Rick is super smart and totally owns the devil!" and not... well, them just trying random poo poo to see what happens. Those were some decent ideas to try out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Felonious_Monk posted:

Worm, the web serial, is nearly entirely devoted to exploring theories of how superpowers work and where they came from and the answer to both questions is critical to the final conflict

It's also really dumb

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jedit posted:

^^^ Terry Pratchett had a good riff on Pascal's Wager where the philosopher arrives in the afterlife to be met with a bunch of gods wielding clubs and saying "Oh look, it's Mister Clever".

what are they going to do, kill him?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Randalor posted:

The part that everyone always seems to get wrong with Pet Sematary was that the area that brought back the dead wasn't the cemetery, but deeper into the woods. The cemetery was just a morbidly cutesy way that kids dealt with the grief of their pets dying.

And I'll admit, considering how R&M treated the Needful Things parody back in season 1, I was expecting another "Rick is super smart and totally owns the devil!" and not... well, them just trying random poo poo to see what happens. Those were some decent ideas to try out.

Well he does, but that's not really the point, kinda lol the lesson is literally 'if you just use magical science to fix all the curses then it's a boring story', and Rick knows it, getting bored to tears immediately once the novelty wears off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

what are they going to do, kill him?

... have you heard of the concept of Hell?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm familiar with your post history, yes

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Pet Sematary is another great example of "the whys and hows of this horror scenario are completely irrelevant to the story at hand and would suck the air out of the room if we decided to explore them, instead of telling the drat story," so, uh, thanks R&M

The mediocre Bruce Willis movie Looper played with this a bit. It's about time travel with a guy going into the past and interacting with his younger self, and they're sitting in a diner talking. The younger self is asking questions about how it works, and Willis tells him that it's all fuckin stupid and makes no sense, and they'll be sitting there making diagrams with straws all day if they try and figure out how it all works. Just accept it, I'm here, let's go on with the plot please.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The mediocre Bruce Willis movie Looper played with this a bit. It's about time travel with a guy going into the past and interacting with his younger self, and they're sitting in a diner talking. The younger self is asking questions about how it works, and Willis tells him that it's all fuckin stupid and makes no sense, and they'll be sitting there making diagrams with straws all day if they try and figure out how it all works. Just accept it, I'm here, let's go on with the plot please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVfpUBtdGLs&t=24s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They pulled a similar trick in Terminator:

code:
 Dr.  Silberman : Why didn't you bring any weapons, something more advanced? Don't you have, uh... ray guns? Show me a piece of future technology.

Kyle Reese : You go naked. Something about the field generated by a living organism. Nothing dead will go.

Dr. Silberman : Why?

Kyle Reese : I didn't build the loving thing!

Dr. Silberman : Okay, okay. But this cyborg, if it's metal...

Kyle Reese : Surrounded by living tissue!

Dr. Silberman : Oh, right, right. 

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm familiar with your post history, yes

Was it not Sartre who said "Hell is other peoplespost history"?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They pulled a similar trick in Terminator:

code:
 Dr.  Silberman : Why didn't you bring any weapons, something more advanced? Don't you have, uh... ray guns? Show me a piece of future technology.

Kyle Reese : You go naked. Something about the field generated by a living organism. Nothing dead will go.

Dr. Silberman : Why?

Kyle Reese : I didn't build the loving thing!

Dr. Silberman : Okay, okay. But this cyborg, if it's metal...

Kyle Reese : Surrounded by living tissue!

Dr. Silberman : Oh, right, right. 

It would amuse the poo poo out of me to see a person coming out of the time travel bubble with their fingernails about halfway gone, the ends of their hair, and their most exterior layer of skin all burning off because it is all dead cells

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

rotinaj posted:

most exterior layer of skin

Horny layer, please

And I’m not referring to your mom

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was about to say it was at least better than mediocre but I do think they went a little nuts at the end didnt they

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

rotinaj posted:

It would amuse the poo poo out of me to see a person coming out of the time travel bubble with their fingernails about halfway gone, the ends of their hair, and their most exterior layer of skin all burning off because it is all dead cells

At least the skin stuff sounds kinda invigorating.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Time traveling five minutes into the past just to get a nice thorough exfoliation

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I saw Kids in the Hall live like twenty years ago and they did this thing where a guy had a time machine so he could constantly go back in time fifteen minutes and get a never ending blowjob.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
*to the tune of The Neverending Story theme*

credburn posted:

a never ending blowjob.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like I've read about the skin thing as a canon part of extended Terminator fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

credburn posted:

I saw Kids in the Hall live like twenty years ago and they did this thing where a guy had a time machine so he could constantly go back in time fifteen minutes and get a never ending blowjob.

Edging of Tomorrow.