Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes. Korean POWs that returned with a favorable opinion on communism (there goes that Stockholm Syndrome again!) and wanted to whistleblow on US use of biological weapons were deemed to have been brainwashed as the only possible explanation for having the opinions that they did

and if the commies could brainwash people, then that means brainwashing could be discovered and learned by the West for its own purposes

and that sets off the entire Epstein-ian rabbit hole of America genuinely attempting to invent methods of brainwashing

genuinely my favorite bit of 50s era behavioral science history, a golden age of many funny bits. iirc the soviets, and i guess the israelis, started their own experiments after learning about the western efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

The acronym "SMASH" doesn't seem to imply what they claim it does.

Edit: to be clear, this system is just a convenient way to massacre civilians. "The computer chose to shoot them."

Kind of like when HR fucks something up. "The computer says you have zero vacation days."

ProfessorBooty has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Dec 12, 2023

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Smash burgers

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

this sounds more like the kind of tech that could work for something static moving in predictable vectors like a drone, but on an individual person? highly doubtful

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's called Super SMASH Brothers Melee because that's how close Hamas can get to the IOF troops

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Looks like a militarized version of a product called Tracking Point in the US, sounds like a good way to get lit up by suppressing fire while you try to carefully line up your aimbot

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
did a little research and it turns out that the company that sells the SMASH just happens to be run by an isreali government official so apparently its just a corruption purchase that's going to get idf soldiers killed so good on them

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

IDF soldier, shouting into rifle: "Computer! Target all hostiles in the area!"

R.I.F.L.E. 2000:

Sancho Banana posted:

"105 IDF soldiers have died in the Gaza Strip since the beginning of the ground maneuver, 13 of them - from our own forces' fire | The IDF is trying to reduce the phenomenon of bilateral shooting [meaning friendly fire] - the examination was passed on to the forces on the field, the commander of Southern Command met with brigade commanders and demanded: 'You must be more precise'"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

Looks like a militarized version of a product called Tracking Point in the US, sounds like a good way to get lit up by suppressing fire while you try to carefully line up your aimbot

It seems pretty useless in an actual firefight, which is by its nature completely chaotic; while you are trying to work out the controls, a guy with an AK just has to pull the trigger. An actual sniper/designated marksman is trained to fire accurately from the get-go and knows how to take into account windage and other factors.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

One of the things Biden and Reagan have in common is that both of them have had their brains dribbling out their ears since the early 80s

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Lord of Pie posted:

One of the things Biden and Reagan have in common is that both of them have had their brains dribbling out their ears since the early 80s

Reagan is mild compared to “sleepy hitler” Joseph Robinette Biden

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mags posted:

Reagan is mild compared to “sleepy hitler” Joseph Robinette Biden

now now no need to rehabilitate conservative monsters on account of joe biden, they're all hitler

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

the norwegian ship that got hit tonight was headed to italy with a load of palm oil from malaysia, but then after that trip they were in talks to rent the ship out to an israeli company and the name of the ship probably showed up in the call logs for the port of ashdod which is why the houthis went after it.

quote:

However, the ship was loaded with palm oil and was on its way from Malaysia to Italy, said managing director Geir Belsnes of the shipping company J. Ludwig Mowinckel, which owns the ship.

Belsnes previously rejected any association with Israel.

- It's wrong. There is nothing on the owner's side, in the load; nothing about this ship has anything to do with Israel, the director told VG on Tuesday morning.

That's right, he insists on Tuesday afternoon - but what he didn't say is this:

- A tentative agreement has been entered into to hire the ship for a journey out of Israel after the journey it is currently on, says managing director Geir Belsnes.

The journey was to depart from the Israeli port of Ashdod. Belsnes does not want to state who the other party in the agreement is, but that the journey will now in any case not take place after the ship was attacked.

- We were asked by our security advisors not to go ahead with this until the ship was in safe waters, says Belsnes.

The shipping director speculates whether the Houthi militia has captured this information via call lists for the port of Ashdod.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Jel Shaker posted:

brainwashing isn’t really a thing is it? it’s just a cover story to explain away why korea vets told people they were using biological weapons?

Brainwashing being real would explain a lot about how US politicians view the genocide in Gaza.

But the reality is that money and ideology are more perfect forms of control than anything else

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Lord of Pie posted:

and one difference is that Reagan actually told Israel to knock it off eventually

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

text editor posted:

IDF soldier, shouting into rifle: "Computer! Target all hostiles in the area!"

R.I.F.L.E. 2000:

makes me think that short story about the AI that goes rogue after being forced to bomb civilians repeatedly

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Spielberg saw The Birth of a Nation and went “Wait, I have an idea!”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jel Shaker posted:

brainwashing isn’t really a thing is it? it’s just a cover story to explain away why korea vets told people they were using biological weapons?

it started that way but who knows

also a long time ago i was asked to speak to a troubled teen relative and to "brain wash" them, in the original chinese sense of the phrase (to give them clarity of thought). at the time i just chalked it up to them misunderstanding an english phrase but didn't say anything.

imagine how weirded out i was when i learned the origins and they were actually using it with the original definition!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/AryJeay/status/1734490428668305624

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Dec 12, 2023

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

They're claiming 105 killed in Gaza? lol

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

That's not a menorah!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Old demon basically saying Jews shouldn’t bother living in any other country besides Israel.

This is somehow anti-antisemitism.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Zionism is so awesome with how it brainwashes people into thinking that any attack on the state of Israel is proof that Israel is SAFER for Jews than anywhere else in the world. Just a perfectly contradictory ideology.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

crepeface posted:

it started that way but who knows

also a long time ago i was asked to speak to a troubled teen relative and to "brain wash" them, in the original chinese sense of the phrase (to give them clarity of thought). at the time i just chalked it up to them misunderstanding an english phrase but didn't say anything.

imagine how weirded out i was when i learned the origins and they were actually using it with the original definition!

in the book Fanshen, written by an american living in China during the early stages of maoist land reform (fascinating read, though long and frequently kinda tedious) there's some detailed first-hand descriptions of criticism and self-criticism sessions lasting for hours (i think one even goes on for a couple days) and you can really get an understanding of how something might come about as a tool that, when used with a genuine attempt at good faith and in a situation where everyone involved is engaging earnestly, could be an effective way to cultivate introspection and mutual understanding, but that could extremely easily be turned into psychological and emotional abuse by employing it ineptly and/or with deliberate malice and why the US Military and the CIA would have been ALL OVER that, but in the end:

National Parks posted:

Brainwashing being real would explain a lot about how US politicians view the genocide in Gaza.

But the reality is that money and ideology are more perfect forms of control than anything else

this, you can emotionally abuse people but that doesn't guarantee they'll do what you want it just fucks them up, people do what you want because you've convinced them that they want what you want, true or not

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Not gonna work for poo poo in a bombed out husk of a city. Also doesn't magically grant situational awareness, which seems to be the main issue with the IDF.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

While I'm no tactician, it seems to me that putting a persecuted people in one state paints a giant target on their backs and makes them less safe; especially if that "state" is maintained through ethnic cleansing and genocide.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

we all remember that old saw about how all of one's eggs are safest in a single basket

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al! posted:

did a little research and it turns out that the company that sells the SMASH just happens to be run by an isreali government official so apparently its just a corruption purchase that's going to get idf soldiers killed so good on them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

While I'm no tactician, it seems to me that putting a persecuted people in one state paints a giant target on their backs and makes them less safe; especially if that "state" is maintained through ethnic cleansing and genocide.

It makes me think about how the Poles were one of the first powers to back militant Zionism with the assumption that Jews would be leaving Polish territory for Palestine. It wasn't for the benefit for everyday Jewish people but the exterminists and those backing them.

I mean...of course things changed right...

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It makes me think about how the Poles were one of the first powers to back militant Zionism with the assumption that Jews would be leaving Polish territory for Palestine. It wasn't for the benefit for everyday Jewish people but the exterminists and those backing them.

I mean...of course things changed right...

shhhh. it is forbidden to remember interwar poland

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
wow really lol so all this civilian murdering was for fun?

====

Urgent | Israeli government spokesman: We will try to launch special operations to free Hamas hostages in Gaza

https://x.com/ajabreaking/status/1734593426597814653?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

MOOOOOODS

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There are smart(er) sights. The equivalent american one calculates dropoff for you and has some memory you can use to remember points you aimed at but thats not something youre going to use when the almost every engagement youll have is an ambush at less than 100m. It maybe has some FCS capabilities to calculate how much to lead so you can hit a drone or some such.

These are all things very possible with how powerful small and low power computers have gotten.

However, Its another way to compensate for training good soldiers with technology and this is functionally a tool for concentration camp guards to blow peoples kneecaps off from half a kilometer from a position of absolute safety.

E: Also grift but what isnt

Rigged Death Trap has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Dec 12, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Biden has received more money from pro-Israel groups across time than any other senator or former senator.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Dec 12, 2023

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Amazing, thousands wounded but only a hundred dead. Somehow the IDF has cracked the code on casualty ratios.... I think they call it "lying"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm no soldier but I'm pretty sure you don't need to calculate for bullet drop at the ranges involved in the fighting in Palestine. That's the technical definition of point-blank range.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Given the number of Jews in the US this basically reads like a threat.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
A lower official reported death count for their own soldiers just makes their civilian kill count appear even more disproportionate. More bad optics!

Karach posted:

Smash burgers

:yum: :burger::killdozer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PACBI/status/1734489210512408740