Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I am relieved that old-timey stagecoach robber Shohei Ohtani will have to pay his California taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Poque posted:

I am relieved that old-timey stagecoach robber Shohei Ohtani will have to pay his California taxes.

Maybe not!

posted:

"Generally, deferred compensation is taxable in the state where the employee worked and earned the compensation, regardless of whether the employee moves after retirement," says David Walters of Palisades Hudson Financial Group in Portland, Oregon.

"However, if the employee has elected to take the deferred compensation payments over a period of 10 years or more, the deferred compensation payments are taxed in the state of residence when the payments are made." This can make a big difference if you move to a state that has no state income tax, such as Florida, Washington or Nevada, or at least to one with a lower income tax than where you earned the money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1734457164557947038?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Can someone PM me when the thread stops talking about loving tax law, please and thank you

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Maybe not!

No one wants to live in those states, especially someone who has more money than they could ever spend.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Please move this thread to the proper forum https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

matti posted:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/why-shohei-ohtanis-contract-structure-is-not-a-luxury-tax-dodge.html

this is a good article I read and about the depth I understand of the subject

This article's point seems to be "it's not a luxury tax dodge because even though the AAV is $70 million per year, it's still the largest contract in history and that means they're not dodging the extra $26 million in cap space." :confused:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The MLBTR piece is wrong. It’s a CBT dodge, and that’s a good thing.

Subverting the farcical “competitive balance tax”: cool and good for The Game

Wasting the prime years of Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout with an incompetent organization that can’t assemble a winning team around them: Bad For The Game

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 12, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

making a thread to talk about baseball instead of whatever the gently caress this is

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

“They’re making a mockery of the CBT!”
:qqsay:

:sickos:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

“They’re making a mockery of the CBT!”
:qqsay:

:sickos:

Good, the CBT is stupid as hell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why do we only have one Dodgers fan, that's kind of weird right

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
lol at bawfuls trying to do a heel turn since folks disagree with them which is the worst thing to happen to a fangraphs commenter who has shown you the data

matti
Mar 31, 2019

bawfuls posted:

The MLBTR piece is wrong. It’s a CBT dodge, and that’s a good thing.

Subverting the farcical “competitive balance tax”: cool and good for The Game

Wasting the prime years of Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout with an incompetent organization that can’t assemble a winning team around them: Bad For The Game

it's not a cbt dodge and you are flattering yourself way too much

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This article's point seems to be "it's not a luxury tax dodge because even though the AAV is $70 million per year, it's still the largest contract in history and that means they're not dodging the extra $26 million in cap space." :confused:

its because you touch yourself at night

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Not a dodge because the value of this contract is 10/$460 in spending power, it's just a significant underpay for what he's worth

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

10/460 in current value money is around the area where people thought he would be coming off of a second TJS so that isn't entirely true

matti
Mar 31, 2019

there's no rule against being the best ball player in the world and playing for the league minimum

but even then, this is nowhere as that bad and people are overreacting

it gets the dodgers maybe an extra $15M player at most

lord knows the bums need the handicap

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Me during another day of CBT chat:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

With enough flexibilty, the Dodgers could have their best regular season yet

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nodoze posted:

10/460 in current value money is around the area where people thought he would be coming off of a second TJS so that isn't entirely true

It's an opinion. I am not presenting it as anything else. He is worth more.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Maybe not!

Bryce Harper and Shoei Ohtani gonna build a retired MLB players' compound in Knoxville and buy the Knoxville Smokies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is an ad but I thought it was funny

https://twitter.com/tombrady/status/1734589718434648084?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
and yes my Cali tax derail was stupid but CBT chat absolutely belongs in an MLB offseason thread

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

tadashi posted:

Bryce Harper and Shoei Ohtani gonna build a retired MLB players' compound in Knoxville and buy the Knoxville Smokies.
Bring back barnstorming!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

This is disgusting

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was fairly ho-hum about it until Pedro showed up, and then it got good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Never count out Tootblan Tom

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Actually I changed my mind it's fine because Brady would have kept the Expos around and Boston would have a lot fewer championships

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Could we all agree that in a league with a serious salary floor and 30 teams that were honestly trying to put the most competitive roster they could on the field every year that the Shohei contract would be against the spirit of competition?

And also that MLB is definitely not that league, so who cares?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll be real impressed with them if they can get Jordan to do one.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Good, the CBT is stupid as hell
Exactly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

some real "I just spent the last 6 hours reading conservative Twitter" energy

he did his own research

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Blind Pineapple posted:

Could we all agree that in a league with a serious salary floor and 30 teams that were honestly trying to put the most competitive roster they could on the field every year that the Shohei contract would be against the spirit of competition?

And also that MLB is definitely not that league, so who cares?

Sure but literally no league does this, it’s just that in most sports there is a relative balance of teams trying to compete vs rebuilding.

MLB is very unbalanced, and there are franchises that haven’t spent more on payroll or legitimately tried to compete in decades.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

No, why would it be?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

No league has a salary floor??? Every cap league does

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Why do we only have one Dodgers fan, that's kind of weird right
we have at least a few others

here's another avatar someone should use:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009