Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

F

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

F

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Thing became worthless when they let the public in anyway

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
F3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

leper khan posted:

Thing became worthless when they let the public in anyway

It was much easier and more efficient to get work done at least.

I would say what really killed E3 is the fact that it is trivially easy to do roughly 85% of what you did at E3 via the internet now. I remember how mildly annoying it was to have to shuffle into a full auditorium filled with people to watch the exact same trailers that were being streamed.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:rip:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Remember when E3 was going to like overhaul everything and make E3 2020 a whole new thing before covid hit... And how that was mostly to placate people because everyone's info from every e3 got dumped? I kind of wonder what they were gonna do with that and how spectacularly it would have crashed

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Did Blizzcon just outlive E3? :rip:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hold Square

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Alt+F4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is only the first time it died. It should have two Es left

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Barudak posted:

Thought this was at least the second death

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

E2, brute?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Covid functionally killed it. They tried to bring it back but everyone had moved on to their own independently managed side presentations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

THE BAR posted:

Did Blizzcon just outlive E3? :rip:

it started a decade after e3 so not quite. if they manage to have another decade of blizzcons somehow tho

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
He killed E3

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

at long last, the great schism has been made whole

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna miss you e3

https://i.imgur.com/SgfAtE8.gifv

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Feldegast42 posted:

at long last, the great schism has been made whole

The Dorito Pope has turned Doritos into wine. It's a christmas miracle

https://www.foodandwine.com/doritos-flavored-liquor-taste-8414617

edit: it's very silly/kinda weird that this exists

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Covid functionally killed it. They tried to bring it back but everyone had moved on to their own independently managed side presentations.

To be fair, the real reason to watch E3 was for the big company stages where they would do things that absolutely no normal human being without a marketing job would ever think to put on a stage. Once they realized that people were laughing at them, not with them, probably somewhere around E3 2016/17 and the big pressers got more staid and boring, it was all over anyway. Ubisoft was the last holdout of doing ridiculous poo poo but I think even they clued in by the end.

RIP Peggle 2 Guy, you will never announce Peggle 3.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It felt like E3 was only alive in a zombie state for a while before this; basically it eventually became a parody of itself (the days of Booth Babes and other gimmicky BS), then they tried to reel it in and PAX came and replaced it functionally, then as mentioned the Direct model made it even more irrelevant.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I went to e3 in 2014 and 2019, and in those 5 years it'd shrunk immensely. It was already on the way out with it not needing to exist as a publisher to retailer marketing event, and COVID just saved some time as publishers pulled out of the immensely expensive booths. They were like, 10x more than a pax booth, if not more, from what I heard

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Was Ubisoft's #girlwood at E3? I can't forget it. I keep trying to, but I can't.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
E3 used to be so good back when Nintendo still did the stage show. It was at its best when it was a big dumb spectacle

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
e3 was great in the days of print media. now not so much, but keighley isn't really bringing back the old magic with his shows

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MagusDraco posted:

The Dorito Pope has turned Doritos into wine. It's a christmas miracle

https://www.foodandwine.com/doritos-flavored-liquor-taste-8414617

edit: it's very silly/kinda weird that this exists

Gimmick flavors like these are just marketing actions; some group of PR firms have a practice of setting them up and selling them to companies.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
E3 was always kinda weird from a trade show POV. Like in the early days it was a boring trade show 100% just like any other and it was focused on Nintendo trying to convince the K-Mart or JCPenny reps to stock their products, or Publishers trying to find new projects to buy. Yeah you could see some potentially new stuff, but it was boring and sterile. Then it got big and became a festival that people really wanted to get into, with the business stuff only slightly hidden away. It was closer to Comic-Con than say CES simply due to the nature of the subject of the show and just how much the general public cared about it. Like the two closest analogs to E3 are CES and (weirdly) Shot-Show (The arms industry trade show in Las Vegas). But Comicon stands apart from E3 in that it isn't ONLY about the new products. They have a ton of other programming to supplement, just like PAX.

But the general public does really gun for getting into CES to get hands on with all cool new GE microwaves, Dishwashers, weird productivity tech, and computer hardware that shows up at CES. Most of that show is still trying to do backroom deals and B2B sales with distributors, store chains, and other contract stuff. Like the most entertainment you can get out of CES is/was Linus going around messing with the new computer stuff or someone like Robert Evans going there and just making fun of all the hilariously terrible tech industry ideas around AI/Crypto/NFTs to their face while the reps either don't get it or can't tell him off because they're sales guys and it'd hurt them.

Show-Show is weird because there is a real clamoring from the general public to get in and see the new stuff in the Arms Industry. However, 1) It's a much smaller subsection of a smaller subsection of the general population (only really intense gun fans within the subset of gun owners within the general population) and 2) Their products are far more limited in how or even if the audience for those products can interact with them. Unlike game demos or general consumer products you can't just download it or go to Best Buy to check it out later, and there's a lot of things at Shot-Show that are restricted BY LAW so Shot-Show is likely the only place you can even get your hands on them without a lot of money or connections.

I don't doubt that some version of E3 will reemerge at some point simply because all those C-Suite suits love to do face to face poo poo to make deals and find new products/ideas/etc. But then again those actions are probably now subsumed into places like PAX.

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 12, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

kliras posted:

e3 was great in the days of print media. now not so much, but keighley isn't really bringing back the old magic with his shows

I'm going to give him some credit and say that while it's not really the magic of the 2000s-era E3, it has the potential to be it's own kind of magic.

I know Geoff needs to pay for all this, but the density and length of the ads they run is egregious. Kojima getting 10 minutes on stage to say nothing, just to be joined by [celebrity] is just... knock it off Geoff.

Cut down on the ad space, but definitely let people run trailers for announcements - that's fun! Spend more time on awards and presentation and performance and I think that'd be very cool.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm going to give him some credit and say that while it's not really the magic of the 2000s-era E3, it has the potential to be it's own kind of magic.

I know Geoff needs to pay for all this, but the density and length of the ads they run is egregious. Kojima getting 10 minutes on stage to say nothing, just to be joined by [celebrity] is just... knock it off Geoff.

Cut down on the ad space, but definitely let people run trailers for announcements - that's fun! Spend more time on awards and presentation and performance and I think that'd be very cool.

It's kinda wild that the trailers ARE ADS but they treat them differently and almost sideline them in favor of random insurance ads and doritos. How did we forget that the main product of that show is in fact STILL A PRODUCT.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah the rapidfire round of a bunch of categories that you could actually talk about and show clips for (like best action adventure) was pretty shameful

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what bothers me more is when he's hyped a bunch of events only for no interesting announcement to happen in them. i think he's stopped doing that as much thank god, but dude needs to respect everyone's time more

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I caught an hour or so of the award show this year and it seemed strangely unconcerned with the actual award winners. I expected way more time and highlight reels devoted to them and their games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tiny Timbs posted:

I caught an hour or so of the award show this year and it seemed strangely unconcerned with the actual award winners. I expected way more time and highlight reels devoted to them and their games.

Well yeah, Hideo Kojima has to be able to speak uninterrupted for fifteen minutes and if that means they have to have the band play someone off the stage because he's talking about his dead co-worker than that's just how it has to be.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I like Kojima but yeah that was pretty glaring

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Game Awards have always been am embarrassing shitshow with no value. Quite frankly, they need to retool it and either stop rushing people off the stage so they can do lovely sketch comedy with Muppets, or just jettison the awards entirely. As it is, it's just insulting everyone's intelligence to pretend anybody involved gives a poo poo about any of this, when it is nakedly transparent that they do not.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Discendo Vox posted:

Gimmick flavors like these are just marketing actions; some group of PR firms have a practice of setting them up and selling them to companies.

Yeah I know. I just found it funny that the press release for it coincided with the day E3 officially died.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the awards part of the game awards exists so guys on twitter can go 'uhm... how can baldurs gate 3 win when its turn based??' adn then get yelled at, and so genshin impact can give everyone 10 free rolls

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

E3 started to suck when they stopped doing this:

https://i.imgur.com/U0hOavT.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the guy playing liu kang is giving it way more than the other two tbh