Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Something slightly disappointing to me is that my Metallic Swampy start has no lava volcano anywhere in the starmap, so I won't be able to make a volcano-powered petroleum boiler. I played around with Tools Not Included a bit and it seems like only about half of Metallic Swampy starts have it, on their Desolands Asteroid (no link because Tools Not Included seems to be down). I wonder if all the story traits that have been added in the last year are crowding stuff out.

It's not the biggest deal to me because I think nuclear plants or sour gas boilers are more fun, plus it wouldn't bother me too much to just cheat in the volcano I feel I'm owed, but it does bug me a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I'm on normal anyway, so it's gotta be around here somewhere.

Going downward, I went through a slime zone and am into a saltwater zone. I'll just keep on excavating, and if I hit bottom I'll go right and left.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

One of the things that frustrates me about the game is the imprecision of in-game info about how a building behaves.

For me the most obnoxious example of this is one you might not even have hit yet: Steam Turbines, besides having an irrelevant overheat temperature, just stop working when their temp hits 100C.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Akratic Method posted:

I'm on normal anyway, so it's gotta be around here somewhere.

Going downward, I went through a slime zone and am into a saltwater zone. I'll just keep on excavating, and if I hit bottom I'll go right and left.

You shouldn't have to look right or left to find oil, the oil biome on a normal map takes up the whole horizontal space. It's just a lot farther down than it feels like it should be, passing through a few different biomes before you hit it is normal. I think on classic mode it's typically like 4 or 5 before you hit oil.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 7, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

That bit took me like 2 years

honestly it was the helpful nudging you fine folks gave me earlier that sparked the idea. I was wasting time moving the magma around when in reality I didn't care about the magma at all just that sweet sweet heat.

probably time to start bringing in the next set of 4 and get up to 16 dupes

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oh what do I do with all this carbon dioxide? there doesn't seem to be any production use for it. feels like I need to open up the top just to get rid of the stuff. I don't want to be running a ton of gas pumps

oh any list of recommended mods? I got zoomed out. tho it feels odd that you have to manually create airlocks after a certain stage in the game and that there's no planning overlay

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You can use scrubbers to delete it and transform clean water into pwater (costs power, makes some heat), or you can pump it out into space.

If you want to do something silly, if you freeze CO2 it becomes solid Carbon, which you can use in steel instead of running your kiln a couple of times. Absolutely not actually worth it to do, however!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There is a planning tool mod although I've had it installed and don't really use it all that much. Handy for planning out your vertical shafts and seeing if they hit any geysers, I guess.

QoL mods I have installed:

Better Info Cards can help you find items easier and stops the stack of item cards from going off the screen.

Sweep By Type is a filter for the sweep tool, so you can e.g. just select all the copper ore, or select everything but slime.

Temperature Thresholds lets you define additional color scales for the temperature overlay (still limited to 7 colors). Really handy to set up sharp color thresholds around things like the boiling point of pwater when spinning up a sauna, or around the freezing point of water.

Not QoL / Game-Changing:

True Tiles makes tiles look different based on the materials they're made of. Just makes things look nicer. I guess a small QoL perk is that it's easy to see which of your tiles are still made of sandstone that you can replace with granite for the decor bonus.

Duplicant Stat Selector (one of many of this type around) lets you bypass the 20 minutes of rerolling for the perfect dupe if you don't want to bother with that. Might be considered cheaty. Not sure if it's this mod or one of the others, but some of them let you select attributes out of printing pod dupes as well, which definitely feels cheaty.

Queue for Sinks lets you make bathrooms with more toilets and fewer sinks, since dupes will no longer bypass washing their hands if all the sinks are full. Might be broken in current versions of the game and doesn't seem to be updated recently.

Self-Sealing Airlocks - if you're sick of all the jank around setting up liquid locks everywhere, this makes airlock doors actually seal and not let gases through when someone passes through them. They still transmit temperature, so if you want an entrance to a hot room you'd still need to create a double door and a vacuum between. Cheaty or not depending on your definition.

Something I've never used but seen suggested occasionally is some form of piped outputs mod which changes buildings that output into the environment (e.g. steam from plastic press, natural gas from oil well) to instead output everything through pipes. This always felt too cheaty even for me, but it's really just a different way to play, like with sealed airlocks.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

LonsomeSon posted:

If you want to do something silly, if you freeze CO2 it becomes solid Carbon, which you can use in steel instead of running your kiln a couple of times. Absolutely not actually worth it to do, however!

Is this new or a mod? Because way back I handled co2 by freezing it solid and it turned into frozen co2. I had tens of tons of it. If it ever thawed it would have caused so much problems, it was not a great long term solution.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Is this new or a mod? Because way back I handled co2 by freezing it solid and it turned into frozen co2. I had tens of tons of it. If it ever thawed it would have caused so much problems, it was not a great long term solution.

…I did it accidentally once several years ago and could swear it works the way I described but I can’t really be certain.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Phase changes are weird and a lot of buggy/exploitative behavior revolves around them. Wouldn't be surprised if it worked but wasn't intended to work that way.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
had a near full doom spiral last night. I figured out way too late that my heat issues were due to using heavy watt blocks and they were transferring heat out of the steam chambers for the aquatuners. we had a situation where the oxygen wasn't circulating and the atmo suits loading bays were damaged by the ambient heat. so we sent out dupes like 2-3 at a time to run and fix things then sending out people to rescue the first squad. manually shut down a bunch of facilities and got the power back on long enough to power the petroleum pump

I think the only reason I'm alive is that the petroleum boiler is mostly power free and kept on churning while everything else was falling apart. which made me realize just how important fully automated systems were

oh and shout out to whomever said to use sensors with vents. cost effective and janky filtering

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah you need to actively cool the access points to your hot zones. You can vacuum-gap dupe access ways but some heat will still travel down your cables even if you take the precaution with power runs.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Cables themselves won't conduct any heat so if you have a 2-tile gap in vacuum with a joint plate either side, heat won't transfer through. This also works to let transit tubes enter/exit areas without transmitting temperature.

This is using modded airlock doors but the same concept applies if you have liquid locks either side of the vacuum room:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Again I’m saying I Could Swear that I’ve had to deal with heat traveling down cables in vacuum but it’s based on memory not something I could easily pull up to examine

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It's possible there was some other medium coming into play - I've often seen problems with the plates touching a liquid lock and transmitting temperature through the liquid, or joint plates touching each other and transmitting temperature that way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

had a near full doom spiral last night. I figured out way too late that my heat issues were due to using heavy watt blocks and they were transferring heat out of the steam chambers for the aquatuners. we had a situation where the oxygen wasn't circulating and the atmo suits loading bays were damaged by the ambient heat. so we sent out dupes like 2-3 at a time to run and fix things then sending out people to rescue the first squad. manually shut down a bunch of facilities and got the power back on long enough to power the petroleum pump

I think the only reason I'm alive is that the petroleum boiler is mostly power free and kept on churning while everything else was falling apart. which made me realize just how important fully automated systems were

oh and shout out to whomever said to use sensors with vents. cost effective and janky filtering

This is one of the reasons that I brick off my base from everything else and brick in everything important. That way if a module collapses, it's just that module and can be fixed more easily.

And yeah, automated systems are the best. There are a surprisingly large amount of things that can be automated, and the more you can automate, the better off you are. It doesn't just help save on dupe labor, it also enables processes to be a lot more timely so that when (not if) dupes decide to drop everything because their shift just ended, you don't run into consequences for that.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

If you want to filter out anything but one thing, you can set the sensor to that thing (like oxygen) and add a NOT gate between the sensor and the vent. This will close the vent when oxygen passes, and vent out anything else. Same for liquid and I assume solids.
Note that all of these will break if they can't vent due to pressure. So use a high-pressure vent for gas and make 100% sure you have enough room for liquids.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dunno-Lars posted:

If you want to filter out anything but one thing, you can set the sensor to that thing (like oxygen) and add a NOT gate between the sensor and the vent. This will close the vent when oxygen passes, and vent out anything else. Same for liquid and I assume solids.
Note that all of these will break if they can't vent due to pressure. So use a high-pressure vent for gas and make 100% sure you have enough room for liquids.

oh for sure. I'm currently using it to dump out salt water and brine into an already infested water source. i can filter out all that salt for food stuffs later

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 8, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
got the home sweet home initiative. besides cool factor is the monument needed for anything? I kinda want that steel back but it's also a big milestone for me

I did figure out infinite storage. when conveyer systems dump items out of a chute they'll just keep stacking. so I've got a dump site for all the major materials then sweepers with loaders that send it out to the appropriate part of the colony

also dug out a 10x50 chamber and lined it with insulated tiles as the beginnings of a launch chamber. I don't know if these'll keep me safe but I imagine a rocket taking off will vent a ton of heat and I could accidentally cook the base

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A lot of heat, yes. Lots.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Burned out on my current save, so it's time to start a new one.

Going to try a no teleporter game this time. Which will make me hate my life the most?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lack of a cold water source, is my guess.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Found a decent tierlist of Reddit actually.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/171bhq3/moonlet_cluster_difficulty_ranking_by_a_noob_400/

I think I agree that lack of plastic and/or reed fiber is probably more punishing than lack of water. I think I'll go with the Flipped Asteroid.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Don’t know, I can’t remember if you need plastic to make a CO2-powered rocket or not. You certainly don’t need atmo suits.

I’m still of the opinion that a cool slush geyser is the single most useful thing to have on an asteroid. Perpetual water source, (polluted) oxygen source if you want it to be, and enough cooling in it to make a few dozen tons of steel (and/or cool much of your colony) without building any cooling infrastructure.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Free cooling is nice for early/mid game, but building "cool stuff" is gated by those higher tier materials imo.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we launched our first rocket and managed to not kill anyone this time. something I feel like I don't quiet understand is how doors closing and crushing materials works. sometimes I use automation to close a door on a solid or liquid and it'll get deleted other times they get pushed up. is there a minimum density?

I do feel like I'm understanding automation better. I updated the petroleum boiler to process more crude to be more efficient with the heat transfer. also included an automated back up reservoir with an alert of; yo we're runnin on fumes fam get on it

my biggest issue is needing lime as the big barrier to more steel production. I'm going to need to disassembled the monument for the steel alone

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

we launched our first rocket and managed to not kill anyone this time. something I feel like I don't quiet understand is how doors closing and crushing materials works. sometimes I use automation to close a door on a solid or liquid and it'll get deleted other times they get pushed up. is there a minimum density?

I do feel like I'm understanding automation better. I updated the petroleum boiler to process more crude to be more efficient with the heat transfer. also included an automated back up reservoir with an alert of; yo we're runnin on fumes fam get on it

my biggest issue is needing lime as the big barrier to more steel production. I'm going to need to disassembled the monument for the steel alone

Eh, door crushing is a bit of a exploit, but essentially it will push material to a neighbouring tile if it can, if it can't it will delete it. Maybe. I've had the doors on petrol boilers glitch a tonne of 1000C igneous rock through a wall and start boiling my base before.
Lime is probably the no.1 issue in late game resources to be honest. Ranching for eggshells (ranching pokeshells directly is the best) once you have used all the fossil on the map up.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

Eh, door crushing is a bit of a exploit, but essentially it will push material to a neighbouring tile if it can, if it can't it will delete it. Maybe. I've had the doors on petrol boilers glitch a tonne of 1000C igneous rock through a wall and start boiling my base before.

I was using them as a very bad screw pump to move liquids upwards out of parts of the map that accidentally got flooded

OzyMandrill posted:

Lime is probably the no.1 issue in late game resources to be honest. Ranching for eggshells (ranching pokeshells directly is the best) once you have used all the fossil on the map up.

yeah I have 3 hatch ranches and they can't keep up. lots of bbq tho

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

OK, well you have no trouble taking on the full challenges, so your next one is this: Pokeshell ranching!
They eat polluted dirt, so for example:
CO2 -> scrubber = PWater, which converts to clean wtaer + polluted dirt
Or if you're feeling swish, pip planted arbor trees->lumber->ethanol + CO2 + TONS of pdirt

Feed these into a ranch of pokeshells, and use automation to automatically collect eggs, and let them hatch, grow, starve and die and with luck you get eggshell + pokeshell molt each time. 100+ cycles to get it working, but then a steady stream of lime.

If you don't have Spaced Out, I would reccomend it about now. If you are thriving, making petrol boilers etc. then the extra stuff is really good. -fun rocket interiors, landing on other asteroids and automating transport, nuclear reactors, etc.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

OK, well you have no trouble taking on the full challenges, so your next one is this: Pokeshell ranching!
They eat polluted dirt, so for example:
CO2 -> scrubber = PWater, which converts to clean wtaer + polluted dirt
Or if you're feeling swish, pip planted arbor trees->lumber->ethanol + CO2 + TONS of pdirt

Feed these into a ranch of pokeshells, and use automation to automatically collect eggs, and let them hatch, grow, starve and die and with luck you get eggshell + pokeshell molt each time. 100+ cycles to get it working, but then a steady stream of lime.

If you don't have Spaced Out, I would reccomend it about now. If you are thriving, making petrol boilers etc. then the extra stuff is really good. -fun rocket interiors, landing on other asteroids and automating transport, nuclear reactors, etc.

I honestly have done most of what you can do in the base game outside of what appears to be exotic materials. I wanted to try and get to the last rocket location before calling it but I'm at day 1000 and have no idea how long that'd take. I guess as fast as I can make fuel and launch an all gas no brakes rocket to the end with like a maxed out petroleum engine with boosters

I did get Spaced Out during the Black Friday sale

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
got the pokeshell farm up but now I regret having a compost area this whole time. I currently have 16 tons of it but these things are ravenous. might need to scale down to 4-5 or find a better source of polluted dirt

I got a little over zealous with rocketry and it'll take a while before hydrogen engines but I am launching two petroleums nearly non-stop

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’m telling you, growing Arbor Trees and making ethanol will leave your crabs swimming in poo poo-dirt. You’ve got a boiler so you don’t need to conserve petroleum but ethanol just goes right into petro gens and you could divert petroleum for more rocket missions running at once.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

got the pokeshell farm up but now I regret having a compost area this whole time
Its funny how much stuff that you do to start, you learn to not do ever again. Doing a start on a water-poor asteroid is a good thing to try next, learn how little water you can get away with.
Best source of poop I know is: pwater->irrigated arber tree->lumber->ethanol+pdirt. Burn the ethanol to get more pwater to feed the trees.
If you use pips to plant the trees (you need 25+ I think to run 4 distillers) then you can get enough pwater from burning the ethanol to generate the oxygen to keep a dupe or two alive on a small asteroid with no water source.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Back playing this again and taking a slow approach to building things. The current seed I’m on has a pair of cool slush gysers right by the starting zone along with a leaky oil fissure on the other side. Guess that means I won’t need to dig down to oil before I get my industrial brick up and running but before that I’ll get a soon and atmo suits so that the dupes survive

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Honestly the other big reason to go to the oil biome is lead. having literal tons of refined metal lying around for wiring projects is a godsend in the beginning of your industrialization, even if the material isn't that suitable long-term for many situations due to the low melting point.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How do y'all handle shipping things between input producers and consumers? The conveyor rails get really expensive to run a dedicated line for each thing. I've experimented with a central shipping area but I never got a handle on storage overall for it to really work.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Lead remains perfectly fine for wiring throughout most of your bases, except for really hot zones, it’s great.

In terms of conveyor rails, you can run a central trunk line with filters coming off it to cut back on redundancy somewhat but the cost of full mechanization is just an incredible amount of metal: every origin point needs a sweeper, a loader, and conveyor line, and every receiver needs the same but either a solid vent or one of those supplier thingamajigs instead of the loader. Sensors and automation wiring as appropriate, plus power lines, etc.

The solution is to find more raw and refined metal basically, sorry.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

Its funny how much stuff that you do to start, you learn to not do ever again. Doing a start on a water-poor asteroid is a good thing to try next, learn how little water you can get away with.
Best source of poop I know is: pwater->irrigated arber tree->lumber->ethanol+pdirt. Burn the ethanol to get more pwater to feed the trees.
If you use pips to plant the trees (you need 25+ I think to run 4 distillers) then you can get enough pwater from burning the ethanol to generate the oxygen to keep a dupe or two alive on a small asteroid with no water source.

I've got one Arbor Tree seed and the Pips died earlier. so we're doing this by hand but hey these are all good things to test out

I'm seeing how I could have basically the exact same base but in half the time if I didn't have to do so many restructures. it is funny how earlier problems are non-existent now. I have so much water as to fill a reservoir, two back ups and a polluted water reservoir

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you have any interest at all in having pips plant stuff, do your sanity a favor and install the mod that shows you an overlay of where pips can actually plant things.

Trying to remember things like “no plants 5 up, six down, and five right” or whatever the rules are is no fun at all.