Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
If you have a touchbar based Macbook Pro, for some reason the video scroll in the touchbar isn't disabled for Youtube ads, so you can just immediately flick it all the way to the end. That's the only useful thing about those touchbars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
We have two amazon TVs, which as of the last week have received a firmware update. Now when we turn them on, they automatically want to play the ad for whatever lovely Prime series or movie is on their banner. I think it's possible to disable, I'll be fiddling with it tomorrow.

Confirmed what was going on here.

But yeah, Google decided to completely change the framework of skipping YouTube ads and now it works even worse on TVs than ever. It's partially by design and partially from incompetence, but frankly I couldn't tell you which is the bigger driver.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Denim Dude posted:

What OS does your TV use?

Edit: long story short, If it's android based you can install smart tube beta. If it isn't, the fire tv stick 4k is currently 50% off at 24.99.

https://github.com/yuliskov/SmartTube

scroll down for install instructions. I see no reason why you shouldn't use the easiest option.

I double checked before I posted this to make sure it was still blocking ads and it is. as a bonus it also has sponsor block. How long will it work? Beats me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can finangle this tomorrow too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to buy a commercial display panel and go and live in the woods

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

The Grimace posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can finangle this tomorrow too.

Another tip is to install the firetv remote app to your phone. Not as snappy as the remote but the qwerty keyboard on your phone for search more than makes up for that not just in smart tube but system wide. Just remember to kill it when you are done because it seems to be a bit of a battery hog.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
All hail the cathode ray tube

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Khanstant posted:

My roommates have been watching TV in living lately and everytime I catch a glimpse it's on ads. Last night saw one that was an ad, but around it was a graphical wrapper of another ad, with a another section that was delivering trivia as an advertisement for a third thing.

Thats nightmare fuel mate.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Klyith posted:

Here's the list:
1. get Firefox
2. install ublock origin
3. if youtube gives you poo poo about adblock, do this:

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Should be on every page

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm not using Firefox for all the things I have logged into all the time like email, social media, etc. (all sectioned away in their own container tabs) and then using Librewolf for regular browsing and it works pretty well. As a bonus you can close one browser window and have it remember your tabs without having to close everything. Both are are to view YouTube without ads and Librewolf also blocks Xitter embeds out of the box which is nice.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Khanstant posted:

My roommates have been watching TV in living lately and everytime I catch a glimpse it's on ads. Last night saw one that was an ad, but around it was a graphical wrapper of another ad, with a another section that was delivering trivia as an advertisement for a third thing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Guessing some more fuckery is going on as SmartTube's been worse tonight than it has since any of this started.

*spams 'Check for Update' option*

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Marble Racing still works for me, and without any ad interruption.

Good thing, too. The Savage Speeders are poised to take it this year and there's only one event left.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

I got a weird burger lottery ad on the upper right corner that looked like it was affiliated with McDonald's. 250€ worth of free burgers offer only valid for 1 hour. I clicked on it because what the hell and it was an extremely suspicious landing page, like it didn't even explain what it was, just a picture of a lot of burgers and "Congratulations, please input your name and email". Further inspection showed that site had nothing to do with McDonald's or any other fast food chain and the "service" was based in either UK or Estonia so lol, OK. I reported the ad to Google and like 10 seconds after receiving confirmation I got another email saying they couldn't investigate the ad because the link wasn't valid. What the gently caress? Did that happen to anyone else?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

i want to know more about this burger lottery

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

**link removed**

Their main page looks even sketchier than that burger poo poo, like click on any of these buttons and now you're getting a thousand popups and redirects type of page. I copypasted that link into the report and google immediately was like :shrug: no can do. Maybe I'm dumb?? But this is not normal right?

Solefald Edit: Removed the URL to the possible scam site to reduce risk

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 8, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grab Im Moor posted:

**Link Removed**

Their main page looks even sketchier than that burger poo poo, like click on any of these buttons and now you're getting a thousand popups and redirects type of page. I copypasted that link into the report and google immediately was like :shrug: no can do. Maybe I'm dumb?? But this is not normal right?

I'd say it was par for the course with online advertising. Now, why the gently caress are you posting a link to the site of the most obvious scammer I've seen in a long while?

Solefald edit: Edited quote to remove URL

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 8, 2023

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Jedit posted:

I'd say it was par for the course with online advertising. Now, why the gently caress are you posting a link to the site of the most obvious scammer I've seen in a long while?

Free burgers

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Grab Im Moor posted:

Did that happen to anyone else?

lol

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Hey friends. Please don't post links to obvious scam/spam sites??????????? :thanks:

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
They found our weakness: Cheap burgers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Solefald posted:

Hey friends. Please don't post links to obvious scam/spam sites??????????? :thanks:

you're not the boss of me, I'm gonna win that ipod one of these days!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

owning the scammers by posting the scams :eyepop:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solefald posted:

Thanks for the edit, I was on the app and forgot to remove it myself.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Americans would have a burger lottery.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Animal-Mother posted:

You should see what happens when a new Chic-Fil-A opens.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Animal-Mother posted:

The so-called burger lottery was in euros

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I hadn’t posted about it because I didn’t want to jinx it but I was in the “already had Firefox / uBlock origin, didn’t do anything special and never saw a warning” camp.

Was. 💀

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Every time I get a warning message I press the "but I'm not using an ad blocker" report button and leave a radical PG13 message to the corpo netwatch

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, Youtube has turned off the starting page if you open it in a private tab. You just get a message to turn on cookies and activate some settings to get it back and you have to do that every time you open it

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Finally got an advert!! :peanut:

It was a Disney banner ad on my Home Screen, advertising festive movies... like Die Hard.

That makes Die Hard an OFFICIAL XMAS MOVIE.... it always was to me. :c00lbert:

edit: Running Firefox + uBlock Origin.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 10, 2023

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Still not getting ad-shamed here - I run Firefox with uBlock Origin on a MacBook Air 2022, an IBM Power9 running the v115 LTS, and a Windows 11 machine. :slick: The ads on the iPhone app are atrocious and seem to be getting worse all the time; we resorted to piggybacking on a friend who pays for YouTube for the TV app, and have probably made a mess of his recommendations, but he hasn’t complained.

My memories of Google not being a venal, undirected piece of poo poo get dimmer all the time.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Just Another Lurker posted:

Finally got an advert!! :peanut:

It was a Disney banner ad on my Home Screen, advertising festive movies... like Die Hard.

That makes Die Hard an OFFICIAL XMAS MOVIE.... it always was to me. :c00lbert:

edit: Running Firefox + uBlock Origin.

Interesting, running the same+noscript+privacybadger+sponsorblock, my stuff just breaks and plays nothing or gets the youtube subscribe message once every week.

But i have never seen an ad, like for forever

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Scrolling is now impossible on youtube videos for me, but tbh I don't think that's bad considering how poo poo the recommended videos are

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AutismVaccine posted:

But i have never seen an ad, like for forever

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Marble Racing still works for me, and without any ad interruption.

Good thing, too. The Savage Speeders are poised to take it this year and there's only one event left.

Just gonna quote this for no reason

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

marble racing is fun and all but it’s no league of pigs

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Some folks at YouTube played Cyberpunk, saw the TV station that's 95% ads and decided that was something to aspire to.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I just pay for YouTube Premium since I watch it more than any other streaming platform, and I like that the creators of the videos I watch get paid extra out of my subscription fee.

I also use SponsorBlock, which is a user-contributed database of timestamps that will automatically skip the in-video sponsor segments. The stats say I've saved about 48 hours of time just from skipped segments.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

First of May posted:

I just pay for YouTube Premium since I watch it more than any other streaming platform, and I like that the creators of the videos I watch get paid extra out of my subscription fee.

I also use SponsorBlock, which is a user-contributed database of timestamps that will automatically skip the in-video sponsor segments. The stats say I've saved about 48 hours of time just from skipped segments.

Time isn't all you can save when you choose NordVPN. Protect your security and save money with the number 1 VPN provider, NordVPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I’m still conditioned to assume that clicking any ad online will give my computer malware