Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

starkebn posted:

Don't compete if you don't want to, it's not a requirement

At some gyms there is too much pressure to compete.

People have families, work, LIFE. Fit it in if you can, but never feel obligated to do it in order to rank up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I'll try again I'll see if I can do it with words

A classic "Dean Lister" style footlock/achilles lock involves a guillotine grip on the foot, and if we're doing a very stiff version, often that's going to be attacking arm with the palm in and we often want the forearm of the attacking arm as high as possible and perpendicular to our own spine when attacking, so shrugging and the hand of that attacking arm goes on the sternum and is reinforced by the other arm. The attacker's weight goes down into the foot via the arm pit, shearing down across the forearm under the achilles, with some other variations within that for different versions. This tends to produce a forceful tearing pain in the ankle and a crushing/folding experience in the foot and toes.

What Imanari had us do for the "Aoki" style one, with the slipping heel, is instead have that arm drop 45 degrees or so, by reaching across our body toward our far hip bone (i.e. attacking w/ right arm, reaching for own left hip), producing a more horizontal pressure instead of the mostly vertical core breaking action of the Lister lock. This means that the knuckle of the big toe of the targeted foot gets anchored in the armpit, kind of on the ribs, and the heel gets dragged in the other direction across the attacker's body, shearing the ankle with a hypersupination, made worse by the torso turns, looking over the shoulder etc. This tends to produce a very localized, very sharp, stabbing pain in the ankle.

If that description doesn't work I'll see if I can find my notebook where I drew some diagrams when I was at the seminar.

This makes perfect sense, thank you! I'll try it at the gym next week.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I have delved into the realm of bullshit so deep and for so long I no longer remember how to pass a guard

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Today I got sliced on my finger pretty deep by my instructors toe nail. Literally like a knife to my finger. I expect this out of white belts, but not a blackbelt.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
drat, that sucks. Hope they were really sorry.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Today I got sliced on my finger pretty deep by my instructors toe nail. Literally like a knife to my finger. I expect this out of white belts, but not a blackbelt.

:stonk: hope it doesn't get horrifically infected

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

whats for dinner posted:

:stonk: hope it doesn't get horrifically infected

It doesnt appear to be but anytime you have a cut you want to hit it with plenty of neosporin.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In a the true bjj roda they used to roll holding razorblades in their feet...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

In a the true bjj roda they used to roll holding razorblades in their feet...

The tradition continues :emo:

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Nestharken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJggLAD7tM

*he's also a cop, so knocking him down a few pegs is basically a moral imperative

If you are looking for demoralizing moves, you are looking at the right guy. Source: I train with Jay Jack at the Academy. There is a variant of that Darth Vader choke where you loosen the lapel grip a little and they think it's great to slip their arm out, so you put your arm through the lapel loop and choke them even worse. That lapel grip is also money for taking the back or setting up triangles.

The most demoralizing for me is the foot sweep. Some rear end in a top hat just standing there not even moving much while I just repeatedly fall down. If this guy is real bad, I'm a fan of a no hands omoplata. This will have a real cop theme to it as well as it's a great position to shout 'Step Resisting!' from.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Man. I'm jealous of all these guys with sponsors to pay comp fees. Traveling to a comp is crazy expensive. I just got back from nogi worlds in Vegas. It was the same weekend as some giant rodeo event and hotel costs were inflated. Gas, hotel, food and registration put me north of $1500 for a 3 day trip. I did eat at fun vegas restaurants, I'll give you that, but god drat. I had made rash guards to sell to my students and training partners and got 55 rash guards made. I sold 41 of them and have made a profit of $75. So technically my vegas trip was only $1425 give or take. Hoping to sell rash guards along with private sessions and give future privates a little deal. Just wanted to share the amazing financial success jiu jitsu has provided me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

AVICORGY

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

heeebrew posted:

Man. I'm jealous of all these guys with sponsors to pay comp fees. Traveling to a comp is crazy expensive. I just got back from nogi worlds in Vegas. It was the same weekend as some giant rodeo event and hotel costs were inflated. Gas, hotel, food and registration put me north of $1500 for a 3 day trip. I did eat at fun vegas restaurants, I'll give you that, but god drat. I had made rash guards to sell to my students and training partners and got 55 rash guards made. I sold 41 of them and have made a profit of $75. So technically my vegas trip was only $1425 give or take. Hoping to sell rash guards along with private sessions and give future privates a little deal. Just wanted to share the amazing financial success jiu jitsu has provided me.

I know a few people who went to nogi worlds. We had one dude we know go down and have to cut 12 lbs day of his match and only have 2 mins to rehydrate, and then he put up a 500 word post on facebook which other people thought was funny and which they wanted me to see.

So I read It aloud with a Matt Berry inflection, making Sure to pronouence every word as it Was witten.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

post the post

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I know several ppl that flew out to vegas and lost on points in their first or second round, but that meant they almost immediately got to go get hammered and gorge so it seems like the pro move

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

I know several ppl that flew out to vegas and lost on points in their first or second round, but that meant they almost immediately got to go get hammered and gorge so it seems like the pro move

One of my training partners went for masters world and his opponents didnt show up and he won by default, but didnt get to party because it was last day and he had to fly out immediately.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

seriously i need to know what this says. i stared at the blood incantation logo for an hour until i could read it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wangsbig posted:

post the post

I don't have it. I avoid following these people.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

the text just says my name guys lol shameless self promotion.

I cut about 7-8 pounds week of, stoked to make weight, show up and throw down. You bet your rear end i got so sick at the bacchanal buffet afterwards.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

heeebrew posted:

the text just says my name guys lol shameless self promotion.

mods plz change this grapplegoon's name to CORGI.AVI, thank

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
hey any tips on finishing choi bars when they hug their own thigh or your thigh to defend, when you already managed to swing the leg over? I'm finding that with guys bigger than me they can sprawl and hug and pin me down, so I can't even do the ankle grab to flip them to a traditional top armbar finish. It's a bit like trying to finish a kimura from bottom half, except that I can't do the butterfly hook sweeps. Thanks!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

themongol posted:

hey any tips on finishing choi bars when they hug their own thigh or your thigh to defend, when you already managed to swing the leg over? I'm finding that with guys bigger than me they can sprawl and hug and pin me down, so I can't even do the ankle grab to flip them to a traditional top armbar finish. It's a bit like trying to finish a kimura from bottom half, except that I can't do the butterfly hook sweeps. Thanks!

I don't have a ton of experience here overall but I think the keyword you may want to look for is "arm saddle", which essentially conceptualizes the Choi Bar as a position rather than a singular submission — much like how a kimura hold can be treated as a position (with all the complexity that entails) rather than solely an attack. This is important because of exactly the scenario(s) you're describing! There are several videos by Robert Degle that discuss this, with this one looking like the most comprehensive introduction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaxveC8KqnE
In this video, Degle mentions that you'll get the Choi Bar upon entry into the Arm Saddle only if your partner fails to hide their arm. There are a bunch of things he does from that point instead of fixating on the Choi Bar itself!

Note that he doesn't really enter this position from half-guard / z-guard, but rather from butterfly (full) guard in an elevation attempt towards leg entanglements, or also from a... double knee shield sort of place? Regardless, his bottom foot's position starts on the outside of his partner's inside leg, rather than between their legs as a half-guard entry would entail.

So if you're looking for stuff that's a little more directly half-guard oriented, maybe check out videos by and about Eoghan O'Flanagan, whose game looks significantly built around starting in butterfly half-guard as a means to threaten both the Choi Bar (and Arm Saddle more broadly, to my mind) as well as K-guard leg entries. He had a breakout performance at ADCC Worlds 2022, including a victory in overtime by points over Xande Ribeiro; O'Flanagan had several solid attacks that he almost finished in there, and the full match is here). Lachlan Giles has a detailed breakdown of O'Flanagan's performance in that match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btXFGa6al84

O'Flanagan himself discusses his Choi Bar entry too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv5qnUqQm-A

I haven't really seen much of O'Flanagan discussing how to deal with an opponent who hides their hand during his Choi Bar attempts, which is why I suggested Degle's videos up top. But if you've already thrown your leg over the top and your opponent has sprawled, one other specific suggestion I might have is to go for a side triangle, as another of Degle's videos discusses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Wit1sq_ew
If they're sprawling and hugging your hips with their free hand (meaning that arm is near or across their own centerline!), then I think you may only need to extract your half-guard leg and stuff it in their armpit and then swing your top leg back for the figure four to make that side triangle. Inverted side triangles are hard to finish directly, and don't offer an immediate sweep either to a top side triangle (which would open up the babymode-easy kimura on the trapped arm, if it's actually reachable), but it still gets you enough control to let you first dig for the kimura grip, and second to open the side triangle to swing your leg back over them and post your foot on their near hip in order to break the hide-the-arm grip.

Hope this proves helpful!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I might get a chance to rebrand my gym soon. What are your favourite and least favourite BJJ gym names?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I might get a chance to rebrand my gym soon. What are your favourite and least favourite BJJ gym names?

[City] BJJ is lame but pretty effective, especially if you're a fairly big/established gym. A lot of people will type exactly that into google when looking for a gym so the search engine will favour you a bit.

Something short-ish, for ease of reference. I like names that lend themselves to visuals. Something like "Courage" or "Fortitude" are fine but don't naturally lend themselves to a logo. Naming yourselves after a mountain or river practically gives you your branding on a plate. Consider how it would look on gis, rashgurads, tshirts etc. Something kid-friendly wouldn't hurt.

Don't name yourselves after the street your on-- you never know when or where a gym might move to.

But honestly I don't think I've ever heard a gym name and thought "that's dumb". They're all pretty ok really.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What about 11th Planet

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

9th planet on fukken pluto yeah hug each other

The worst gym names are the infinity variations on "Warrior" or "Ronin" that are out there, or the ones where the gym name is some kind of slogan

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

*Your Name*-do Extreme Grappling

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The Karate-Hole

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The Karate-Hole

Cuddle Corner/Cave/Cavern depending on the size of the gym would be a great one and probably filter out a bunch of the MMA meatheads.

CommonShore posted:

The worst gym names are the infinity variations on "Warrior" or "Ronin" that are out there, or the ones where the gym name is some kind of slogan

Agreedo. Melbourne has a bunch of excellent gyms with eye-rolling names that put me off but I kinda like 'Leverage.'

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
These days the sport if moving away from a lot of the traditions of BJJ and more to generalised submission grappling... I would even avoid the terms BJJ for example. TBH if I opened a place it would just be called 'the grapple hole'

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

The [coaches name] Center for People Who Can't grapple Good and Who Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

butros posted:

The [coaches name] Center for People Who Can't grapple Good and Who Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too

:emptyquote:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

"Whys the mat so tiny???"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

stramit posted:

These days the sport if moving away from a lot of the traditions of BJJ and more to generalised submission grappling... I would even avoid the terms BJJ for example. TBH if I opened a place it would just be called 'the grapple hole'

I partly agree. I'd use just "Jujitsu" and leave the Brazilian part out. It's shorter, reflects the Americanization of the sport but retains the awareness factor the sport has from UFC, Joe Rogan, etc.

Submission grappling is a cumbersome term. In my experience people don't really understand what either term means, either. Not that they really know what Jujitsu is either but at least they've heard that term.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is the "moving away from BJJ" thing true at all levels or just at very high levels? I feel like marketing as other than BJJ, if you're a BJJ gym, seems to me like it would be a mistake. Even if it is the way of the future, is the head coach a cross discipline submission wrestler or is the head coach a BJJ black belt?

I do like the idea of naming after a local mountain or river or similar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jits 'n bits

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

New Wave Jiu Jitsu (your city name)

Then in small print below:
"Lawyers train free"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Market yourself as non-Pro Wrestling.

duckdealer posted:

New Wave Jiu Jitsu (your city name)

Then in small print below:
"Lawyers train, free?"

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
When I broke my pinky I couldn't spell jui/jiu jitsu to the nurse and still am not sure.
Voting for the grappling hole :goatsecx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Count Roland posted:

I partly agree. I'd use just "Jujitsu" and leave the Brazilian part out.
Not that they really know what Jujitsu is either but at least they've heard that term.
Would you spell it the original way, jujutsu, or the Brazilian way, jiujitsu?

Would end up being a history lesson you have to give to new students at some point.