Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd've just said "calls for genocide are unacceptable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The whole thing was a setup, yes. The right used this whole idea that antisemitism is just rampant on every college campus as an excuse to accuse these major college presidents of allowing it. There was no way for them to ‘win’ the hearing.

It was also very telling that they chose three women, including the second black president of an Ivy League university and Harvard's first black president.

Peter Salovey of Yale, for example, is an older Jewish gentleman and was not going to be as easy of a target.

zoux posted:

Exactly. They seemed to view the hearings as a classroom or maybe a trial (in Magill's (the UPenn president's) case, as she was a former law school professor), where nuance and nitpicking is king. This was actually political theater and they played into the trap.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 12, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mendrian posted:

I mean you can't really make this comparison. Yes, the NYT/CNN/Fox existed in 2004 but they didn't mean the same thing then as they do now. Crucially, click-bait media had not yet evolved yet and hot-takes didn't really exist yet. Most internet media was still taking cues from real life media. Also it's worth noting that the late 90s/early 00's were the birthplace of modern centrism, we were coming off of years of 'actually neither side is correct and everybody would be better off if politicians would agree on things.' 9/11 really marked the beginning of extreme right-wing perspectives - it became much more culturally acceptable to scream violent, anti-immigrant, Islamaphobic nonsense and likewise the left started to galvanize in opposition to that. 'The left' as we know it today hadn't yet organized even the extremely low bar we have today. Most of SA was still making fun of furries.

What I mean is, weekly thinkpeices on fascism weren't possible in 2004. Those kinds of thoughts were shared privately, and yes, in counter-culture. There was no barometer for consensus, memes were still in their infancy, there were no canon leftist opinions propagated by Twitter and other social media spaces. I can tell you that my social circle certainly thought Bush was dangerous, particularly when he started claiming he was speaking to or for god. Music and art from that period reflect this but I think popular opinion was more South Park centrism than anything else. We had to share those kinds of opinions quietly - not because it was dangerous to think Bush was a fascist dipshit but because there were no obvious, open venues to express those kinds of ideas.

The world before #content was a very different place.

Although i agree with this post overall, I'd have to say the bit about hot takes isn't really accurate. The pivot from journalism to pundit panels was long underway by the 2000s, in part sparked by the slow rise of internet news; it was a lot cheaper to hire some nepo baby to spout 'provocative' opinions at a round table or in an op-ed than it was to produce an equal amount of news copy, and it didn't seem to hurt ratings any.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

Too bad the setbacks in NY helped lose the House to the GOP...

Weren't a lot of those losses due to gerrymandering? At least I seem to recall that there's a lawsuit about redistricting that's set to net the House several Dem seats.

Maybe I'm confusing state house and Congress?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Although i agree with this post overall, I'd have to say the bit about hot takes isn't really accurate. The pivot from journalism to pundit panels was long underway by the 2000s, in part sparked by the slow rise of internet news; it was a lot cheaper to hire some nepo baby to spout 'provocative' opinions at a round table or in an op-ed than it was to produce an equal amount of news copy, and it didn't seem to hurt ratings any.

For comparison, Jon Stewart's infamous on-air murder of Crossfire happened in 2004

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dems severely underperformed in NY state in the midterms. Especially in areas closer to the NYC media area.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Weren't a lot of those losses due to gerrymandering? At least I seem to recall that there's a lawsuit about redistricting that's set to net the House several Dem seats.

The Dems would have laid out the districts to be more advantageous if not for the NY Court of Appeals (the supreme court equivalent) striking down their attempts. It's still being hashed out right now.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/15/redistricting-new-york-00127438

That being said, even if NY had gotten the map NY Dems wanted back in 2022, the margins in places like Long Island had eroded so much that various NY GOP reps won with very tight margins.

A lot of it was context and bad messaging work from the NY Democratic party. It wasn't like they got an unwinnable map in 2022.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DarkHorse posted:

The maps imposed by the court were a big part of it, but the Dems severely underperformed in New York, especially NYC. The Republican candidate for Governor got 47% of the vote.

The appeals court is actually releasing a decision on the lawsuit to overturn the current map and give the legislature another try for 2024 through 2030 this afternoon. So, that will be a fairly important decision.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

WTF is up with this thread title?

The forum has recognized my wisdom

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

EDIT: Accidental double post.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The maps imposed by the court were a big part of it, but the Dems severely underperformed in New York, especially NYC. The Republican candidate for Governor got 47% of the vote.

The appeals court is actually releasing a decision on the lawsuit to overturn the current map and give the legislature another try for 2024 through 2030 this afternoon. So, that will be a fairly important decision.
I personally blame Eric Adams for a lot of this

He parrots GOP talking points on crime and immigration that just benefits Republicans

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I personally blame Eric Adams for a lot of this

He parrots GOP talking points on crime and immigration that just benefits Republicans

I would not be surprised if it turns out he was a GOP sleeper agent. He is an amazing combination of right wing talking points, administrative incompetence and corruption. The fact that he prevailed in the primary has really shaken my faith in the idea of ranked choice voting.

That being said, I think Holchul and the whole NY Democratic apparatus just did not know how to respond to Zeldin's catchy CRIME CRIME CRIME campaigning. It really doesn't help that a lot of the NY Democratic apparatus really didn't understand or believe in good things like bail reform and economic aid so they just got evasive and voters don't like evasive. You need to answer it.

Also, and this might be a product of my own upbringing during a less enlightened time, Holchul also seemed like a charisma vacuum. She had no coattails for other candidates to ride, which is kind of understandable since she sort of Gerald Ford-ed her way to the big office in the first place.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hochul vetoed some of the proposals like affordable housing and bail reform, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1734580766758052172

Hunter Biden said that the attacks on him are specifically meant to hurt Biden emotionally

quote:

“What they’re trying to do is they’re trying to kill me, knowing that it will be a pain greater than my father could be able to handle, and so therefore destroying a presidency in that way,” Hunter Biden said in the interview published Friday.

“I realized that, that it’s not about me. And then the second thing that I realized is that these people are just sad, very, very sick people that have most likely just faced traumas in their lives that they’ve decided that they are going to turn into an evil that they decide that they’re going to inflict on the rest of the world,” he added.

Hard to argue against.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hochul vetoed some of the proposals like affordable housing and bail reform, right?

Hochul vetoed a bill to form a committee to study affordable housing solutions, but actually has supported some good housing policies (that died in the legislature).

She didn't veto a bill related to bail reform, but she did support and sign a bill earlier this year that repealed parts of the 2019 bail reform bill.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Not sure at all which is why I’m wondering if they’d have the vote if they didn’t know it’ll pass.

They can only have like 2 no votes from their side, right?

They did seem to have a few people briefing to the media that it was overblown, though I don't have the article handy (it was posted maybe 5-10 pages ago?). Even if they fail to get the majority though, it still might make #hunterbiden trend or whatever though, and articles will probably include that he is on trial for tax fraud and got the plea deal rescinded or whatever.

I think they are trying to keep the oxygen on the fire, even if they don't have any more wood. The bad news is that the actual trial for Hunter will be active going into next year, and what they want is for that to be getting parallel coverage to Trump. If Hunter gets cleared and Trump doesn't they will run with "political bias", if both are guilty they will run with "he does it too", and if Trump gets off they run with "vindicated".

Obviously Hunter and Joe are two different people and they have basically no evidence that Joe was aware of any of this. That won't make a difference to the people they are trying to whip into a frenzy - the ticker will just say BIDEN JAILED FOR TAX FRAUD or whatever and no one is going to change their mind when you say "no, that was Hunter, Joe didn't do anything"

With the personalization of news media I don't think there is any meaningful consequences for doing this - Joe Biden doesn't have enough of an approval rating among independent voters for this to galvanize them or anything like that. The people who get served the incendiary articles are going to be the ones predisposed to believe it without question, so there's not going to be any blowback. The desired endpoint of this is getting persuadable people to say "politics is just backbiting nonsense, everyone is playing games" and lower turnout numbers back down, since they can't reliably win with a political minority otherwise.

That said, it probably is impossible to really do that to the extent needed - they hosed it by pissing off the white suburban women with overturning Roe, and the stories about a woman fleeing Texas will get an equal or greater amount of play in the "people who already agree" media space on the Dems side. Obviously the polling numbers are bad right now and all, but having the advantage on non-presidential years for ages is how the Republicans got so enmeshed in state government and Congress, and it isn't as though they are running on the right things to sway swing states. It's possible that Trump will run on "I wrote you a check for the pandemic", but the rest of the party will definitely not make any promises to that effect, so even if the bad economics vibes persist I don't think they will be saying the right words to ride that wave.

For what it matters, I think Biden will probably be able to take Michigan even if he loses voters in Arab communities because the automaker union wins were pretty big, and he has the right sort of reputation to do that kind of campaigning - Whitmer also seems to be pretty effective. Arizona has also had the governor flip recently, and I expect that might give a slight boost as well. Filling Sinema's seat will probably drive turnout there as well.

It's maybe too early to have too much real analysis of all this, I don't know when the polls start being predictive but we probably aren't there yet. Still, I think the media environment is worth watching, and from what I can tell it seems like Trump's trial schedule will probably continue to be the biggest story for everyone but Fox next year, and stuff like this has no real poo poo of picking up steam like the Clinton email stuff did in 2016 - it will get Fox airtime, but I don't think it has any shot of being more than that

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

She didn't veto a bill related to bail reform, but she did support and sign a bill earlier this year that repealed parts of the 2019 bail reform bill.

Yeah. It was really annoying. The NY Dems took a measure that needed time to take and needed to be supported with data-driven arguments and instead just ran away with it like scared suburbanites who didn't want to read or learn. I understand it's a politically sensitive subject, but it is something that our justice system needs to take on instead of just being a conveyer belt for forcing people into get criminal records that can ruin their lives.

I know this sounds like conspiracy theorist talk, but I suspect a bunch of conservative judges also wanted to ruin the measure so they didn't bother exercising the kind of discretion they could have exercised for dangerous situations because they knew would lead to blowback against bail reform.

EDIT: Here's a link with some historical recounting of how bail reform got rolled out and rolled back. https://www.cityandstateny.com/policy/2023/05/not-so-brief-guide-new-yorks-bail-reform-evolution/385379/

I get mad thinking too much about this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Hunter Biden said that the attacks on him are specifically meant to hurt Biden emotionally

Hard to argue against.

The original charges for lying about having ever used drugs on a gun application and underpaying taxes are things that are basically never actually prosecuted by themselves and he is correct about that.

The newer charges they just announced on Friday, if true, are things they probably would have gone after regardless. The original tax charges of underreporting your income usually gets a sternly worded letter and a demand that you pay the correct amount + interest + penalties and not a federal charge.

However, the charges on Friday assert that he not only underpaid but knowingly filed a false tax return and tried to hide his income from tax assessments. Those would probably get charged on their own.

Although, I guess you could argue that they might have never known about them if they didn't have a special counsel spend years going over everything related to his income for the original investigation about Burisma/China that turned up nothing.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

The whole thing was a setup, yes. The right used this whole idea that antisemitism is just rampant on every college campus as an excuse to accuse these major college presidents of allowing it. There was no way for them to ‘win’ the hearing.

The Times has been insane about pushing this story. They’ve probably covered it more than literally any Biden policy proposal.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

See, now that’s some good legalese right there. Doesn’t actually answer the question but defuses it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

MIT isn't in the Ivy League.
:goonsay:

In all seriousness, Harvard's and UPenn's presidents walked into an obvious trap and, instead of recognizing that they were not in a good faith classroom setting, they jumped into the spike pit with both feet. It was that bad and it gave a ton of oxygen to something that could have puttered out well.

All the gaffes were short. They were easily parsed and turned into sharable clips. They involve people being targeted by very rich and politically active people like Bill Ackman.

I'm trying to figure out what financial instrument by which Ackman was able to short Harvard before kicking this off, the entire thing is just his playbook for profiting off publicizing how much Company X sucks

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Misunderstood posted:

The Times has been insane about pushing this story. They’ve probably covered it more than literally any Biden policy proposal.

I just think they know their reader base pretty well. It's like the Atlantic. A lot of their readers likely went to elite colleges and care a lot about what happens at them and also give these readers a good chance to feel like tough, older people who are better than all these new, younger snowflakes.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm trying to figure out what financial instrument by which Ackman was able to short Harvard before kicking this off, the entire thing is just his playbook for profiting off publicizing how much Company X sucks

Is Ackman on the board? He probably wants to be on the board.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eric Cantonese posted:

I just think they know their reader base pretty well. It's like the Atlantic. A lot of their readers likely went to elite colleges and care a lot about what happens at them and also give these readers a good chance to feel like tough, older people who are better than all these new, younger snowflakes.

It is also just a classic attention grabber where someone says something in Legalese that sounds terrible to the average person. It was a trap, but the University Presidents also walked into it and handled it about as terribly as possible.

There did also seem to be some very obvious hypocrisy/dumb things in their code of conduct that they couldn't really defend. It is pretty dumb to say that using a slur against a group of people violates their code of conduct, but calls to genocide a group are okay "as long as they don't act on it" because they have a 100% commitment to free speech and don't regulate speech at all. It is both very dumb from a code of conduct policy standpoint and very dumb to phrase your answer specifically that way during a publicly televised hearing about anti-Semitism where you know that people are trying to catch you in a gotcha moment.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

BougieBitch posted:

They did seem to have a few people briefing to the media that it was overblown, though I don't have the article handy (it was posted maybe 5-10 pages ago?). Even if they fail to get the majority though, it still might make #hunterbiden trend or whatever though, and articles will probably include that he is on trial for tax fraud and got the plea deal rescinded or whatever.

Pretty much this, yeah. The Obama years were full of things like this: it's a signalling bill. If they can do it, great! They stretch it out longer. If they fail, it doesn't matter because the news will spend more time on how ~*~Joe Biden's Son~*~ may or may not be a criminal. What's the cost? Legislative time they were going to try and do nothing with anyway?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

Hard to argue against.

Yeah, there is a lot to hit Biden in politics and such but he does seem genuinely empathetic and does actually love his family. If I remember correctly he loving HATES Lindsay graham for helping kick off all this poo poo because Lindsay helped kick all this poo poo off.

The original charges for lying about having ever used drugs on a gun application and underpaying taxes are things that are basically never actually prosecuted by themselves and he is correct about that.

The newer charges they just announced on Friday, if true, are things they probably would have gone after regardless. The original tax charges of underreporting your income usually gets a sternly worded letter and a demand that you pay the correct amount + interest + penalties and not a federal charge.

However, the charges on Friday assert that he not only underpaid but knowingly filed a false tax return and tried to hide his income from tax assessments. Those would probably get charged on their own.

Although, I guess you could argue that they might have never known about them if they didn't have a special counsel spend years going over everything related to his income for the original investigation about Burisma/China that turned up nothing.
What’s funny is the GOP is pissed about hunters actual crimes because they arnt the magic chud conspiracy poo poo comer keeps looking for and it basically fucks their whole thing. Like DOJ will hit hunter with a bunch of stuff rightfully and Biden will feel bad about his son, cool easy win, but it won’t make the chuds happy because it’s not qanon poo poo.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

It is also just a classic attention grabber where someone says something in Legalese that sounds terrible to the average person. It was a trap, but the University Presidents also walked into it and handled it about as terribly as possible.

There did also seem to be some very obvious hypocrisy/dumb things in their code of conduct that they couldn't really defend. It is pretty dumb to say that using a slur against a group of people violates their code of conduct, but calls to genocide a group are okay "as long as they don't act on it" because they have a 100% commitment to free speech and don't regulate speech at all. It is both very dumb from a code of conduct policy standpoint and very dumb to phrase your answer specifically that way during a publicly televised hearing about anti-Semitism where you know that people are trying to catch you in a gotcha moment.

But also, the Republican party does not care about this issue. The media has literally chosen to ignore the party of Jews Will Not Replace us and the neo-nazi's that have infiltrated the GOP. Why are they getting weight as if their complaints are rooted in anything moral?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

But also, the Republican party does not care about this issue. The media has literally chosen to ignore the party of Jews Will Not Replace us and the neo-nazi's that have infiltrated the GOP. Why are they getting weight as if their complaints are rooted in anything moral?

The republican position on protected speech on college campuses since the early 90s contradicts their recent concern with regulating what students say there as well. Take a time machine to three months ago and see if they think college kids calling for genocide should be punished.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is anyone else baffled by the media coverage of the Ivy League Presidents. Like the collective memory of our national media that the Republican's actually care about anti-semitism and letting them score points for their grandstanding?

It's not just Republicans playing the political theater which is why it's getting more play from news orgs who normally would drop it because it's just right wing theater. If Republicans and Democrats are claiming it's anti-semitism it's going to get more air time and treated seriously.

https://twitter.com/JoshKraushaar/status/1732453315068231781?s=20

Anti-zionism is anti-semitism is functionally accepted fact in Congress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The university presidents hosed up so bad they didn't have much of a choice.

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1734625637866823717

This would be nice

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

zoux posted:

The university presidents hosed up so bad they didn't have much of a choice.

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1734625637866823717

This would be nice

I don't think you can gently caress up so bad that people are forced to pretend the shadow play is real. I think the Democrats who have spoken out likely just earnestly believe what they're saying. Or your right and they are making decisions based on what appeases fascists which would also be alarmingly bad.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't think you can gently caress up so bad that people are forced to pretend the shadow play is real. I think the Democrats who have spoken out likely just earnestly believe what they're saying. Or your right and they are making decisions based on what appeases fascists which would also be alarmingly bad.

Or appeases the voters in their districts.

My personal anecdotal experience is only worth so much, but those responses went down really, really badly in the Jewish community where I live and those people vote and donate.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
We’re there calls for genocide against Jews in campuses or was it the “from the river to the sea” slogan that people are twisting into a call for genocide in bad faith?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

theCalamity posted:

We’re there calls for genocide against Jews in campuses or was it the “from the river to the sea” slogan that people are twisting into a call for genocide in bad faith?

I mean there are attacks against Jewish students happening. So there is a real safety threat to Jewish and Arab students nation wide.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People should probably stop picking slogans that they have to constantly explain. You'd think that would've been the lesson of "Defund the Police" but I guess not. But I guess if it didn't have that transgressive radical hint to it, they'd chant something else.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1734229055518408799

Obviously you can't take anything he says at face value but lmao at having this guy outside the tent pissing in.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean there are attacks against Jewish students happening. So there is a real safety threat to Jewish and Arab students nation wide.

Would you mind copy/pasting the text of the article? It's paywalled for me.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Would you mind copy/pasting the text of the article? It's paywalled for me.

From the Boston Globe:

quote:

During a campus event honoring the hostages taken by Hamas, Efe Erçelik, a University of Massachusetts Amherst student, allegedly approached a group of Jewish classmates and said, “[Y]ou aren’t allowed to eat pork, so why are you walking around like fat [expletive] pigs,” according to a police report.

Then he allegedly punched and kicked one of the students and destroyed his Israeli flag, according to the police. (Erçelik has pleaded not guilty to assault and battery and other charges.)

The alleged attack is just one of several recent incidents reportedly targeting Jewish students seen as supportive of Israel at college campuses across the country. They mark an escalation of campus tensions that intensified last month with disputes over how to talk about the Hamas attack on Israel and the retaliatory war Israel is pursuing in Gaza.

Some Jewish students now say they fear for their physical safety, after alleged assaults at several campuses and the arrest of a Cornell student, Patrick Dai, who said he wanted to “slit the throat” of male Jewish classmates and rape Jewish women, according to the Justice Department.

Meanwhile, university leaders face a high-wire balancing act. They are trying to find the equilibrium between protecting free expression on campus, which includes protests of the Israeli campaign against Hamas that has killed thousands, and curtailing activist speech that some administrators and Jewish students say amounts to incitement to violence.

“Our Jewish students are not OK. There is fear and there is a growing sense that we’re not sure we can be safe on these campuses,” said Rabbi Marc Baker, who leads Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston.

Last Friday, Columbia University suspended two student groups — Students for Justice in Palestine and Jewish Voice for Peace — after demonstrators occupied a campus building and chanted “intifada,” which many Jews interpret as a call for violence against civilians. (In its announcement of the suspension, Columbia referred to “threatening rhetoric” as a cause, but a spokesperson declined to say if the intifada chant specifically was a factor.)

Protesters at Tufts University chanted “long live intifada” after occupying a campus building last Thursday. And on Monday, protesters gathered around the John Harvard statue in Harvard Yard chanting “intifada, revolution.” The Harvard students had gathered to protest reported disciplinary action against a proctor who was involved in an altercation with a student at a pro-Palestinian campus demonstration last month.

The term intifada, which means “shaking off” in Arabic, was coined to describe an uprising from 1987 to 1993 against Israel’s military occupations of Gaza and the West Bank. It was marked by widespread Palestinian protests and a fierce Israeli response.

In the Second Intifada, which began in 2000, Palestinian militants carried out deadly suicide bombings on buses, at hotels, and at restaurants, including one attack by a suicide bomber sent by Hamas that killed 30 civilians and injured 140 more during a Seder.

Charlie Covit, a Harvard first-year student, said that when he hears his peers chanting intifada, “I question if they really know what they’re saying.”

“There were some students chanting ‘long live the intifada,’ and kind of laughing,” he said. “Do you know the defining event of the intifada was when 30 people at a Passover meal were blown up?”

At Brandeis University, president Ronald D. Liebowitz banned his school’s chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine, a national advocacy group. He said he viewed the decision, in part, as a matter of safety.

Liebowitz pointed to social media posts by the group that characterized the Hamas attack as a legitimate form of resistance and called on activists to “rise up” in solidarity. In an Oct. 9 statement, the group wrote, “It is a moral imperative to recognize and support the resilience of the people who have endured 75 years of oppression, displacement, and the denial of their basic rights.”

“It creates an unsafe environment or a feeling of an unsafe environment,” Liebowitz said. “The whole idea of free speech [on campus] is to provide an educational environment that is welcoming and conducive to debate and the exchange of ideas. When you introduce this kind of rhetoric, it does the opposite. It silences people.”

The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, a First Amendment advocacy group, assailed the ban as an attack on free speech. On Friday, seven people were arrested at a protest over the ban.

Some student groups and their campus allies have said the Hamas attack, which included the kidnapping of children and mass slaughter of civilians, was justifiable, even praiseworthy. The Tufts chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine lauded the Hamas militants’ “creativity.” A Cornell professor, Russell Rickford, said he was “exhilarated” by the attack. (He later apologized, saying “some of the language I used was reprehensible.”)

When the Students for Justice in Palestine chapter at UMass Amherst announced a demonstration on Oct. 10, the group wrote, “We will be marching in solidarity with Palestinians breaking out of their open air prison,” echoing the language that some left-wing groups used to describe the attack.

Then, at the event two days later, a crowd of protesters shouted, “long live the intifada.”

“It was terrifying to see how many people openly came out and supported a terrorist attack,” said Dylan Jacobs, the UMass Amherst student allegedly assaulted by Erçelik on Nov. 3.

Jacobs described the attack in an interview last week. The police account was based on statements from Jacobs and two other eyewitnesses who Jacobs said declined to speak with the Globe. Erçelik’s lawyer, Rachel Weber, said “the police report is based on one set of statements, but there are additional witnesses who offer a starkly different version of events.” Weber said Erçelik did not wish to comment and she did not make other witnesses available.

The UMass Amherst demonstrators also marched through campus chanting, “Zionists, get out,” according to video shared with the Globe.

“It means people who support Israel aren’t welcome at UMass,” Jacobs said. Some Jewish students and advocacy organizations have contended that “Zionists” is sometimes a dog whistle used by antisemites to refer to Jews more broadly.

Pro-Palestinian activists, including some progressive Jewish groups, have contested that claim, saying the term refers exclusively to supporters of Israel.

Campus protests have become even more heated as Israel’s bombardment of Gaza has continued, killing more than 11,000 Palestinians, according to the Hamas-run Ministry of Health.

At Cooper Union, a college in New York City, Jewish students sheltered in a library last month as pro-Palestinian protesters banged on windows and a locked door while shouting slogans, according to press accounts.

At other campuses, Jewish demonstrators have been the victims of alleged assaults. At Tulane University, a Jewish student’s nose was broken during a dispute between pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel activists. At the University of California Berkeley, a video circulated showing two young people in face masks accosting a student wearing a kippa, the skullcap worn by some observant Jews, and trying to rip an Israeli flag from his hands.

Similar incidents have occurred beyond the walls of college campuses. The Anti-Defamation League said there has been a sharp increase in harassment, vandalism, and assault against US Jews since Oct. 7 compared to the same period last year.

In Columbus, near Ohio State University, two Jewish students were assaulted on a city street last Friday, according to the university. “The suspects yelled a derogatory term” before the attack, the Columbus Dispatch reported. There was no evidence the alleged assailants were also students.

In Thousand Oaks, Calif., near Los Angeles, a pro-Palestinian protester and a pro-Israel protester clashed. The pro-Israel demonstrator, 69-year-old Paul Kessler, fell or was struck and died, according to press reports. Authorities have ruled his death a homicide.

Gerard Filitti, a lawyer with the Lawfare Project, a pro bono legal aid group, is now representing some students who say they have been targeted. He views their experiences as indicative of wider societal animus towards Jews that has ramped up during the war in Gaza, he said.

“What starts on college campuses doesn’t just stay there,” he said. “It spills over into the community.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friend had people outside her synagogue protesting. Just a random synagogue in Austin. Same one that had an arson attempt against it in '21 that caused extensive damage. She's very stressed out about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zoux posted:

People should probably stop picking slogans that they have to constantly explain.

This isn't possible because bad faith actors are going to constantly pick apart whatever other slogan they come up with.

Also nobody "picked" from the river to the sea. The Palestinian liberation movement didn't vote to use that slogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not just Republicans playing the political theater which is why it's getting more play from news orgs who normally would drop it because it's just right wing theater. If Republicans and Democrats are claiming it's anti-semitism it's going to get more air time and treated seriously.

https://twitter.com/JoshKraushaar/status/1732453315068231781?s=20

Anti-zionism is anti-semitism is functionally accepted fact in Congress.

Uhh... "calling for the genocide of the Jews" and "advocating for another holocaust" are a little more than "anti-Zionism." That actually seems like a slam on anti-Zionism.

theCalamity posted:

They were specifically asked if "calling for the genocide of the Jews" and "advocating for another holocaust" would violate their code of conduct. One of them said it was "context dependent" and the other said it was not a violation of the code of conduct, but if they "acted on it" in a significant way, then it might be considered against the code of conduct.

They also said that the only reason it wouldn't be against the code of conduct is because they are 100% in support of free speech and they have a policy that they don't regulate speech, then answered, "Yes" when asked if using a slur was against the code of conduct.

It was absolutely a trap question, but they walked into it and answered in the worst possible way.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 12, 2023