Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Are AT weaponry with top-down attack modes in Hamas' inventory at all? I get that "cope cages" are basically free, if minimal, extra protection, but from what I understood from the Ukraine thread, it appeared specially as a reaction to the numerous top-down attack munitions that Ukraine had been supplied with for anti-armor defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Focusing on the suffering animals might be a better inroad with Western liberals than 10,000 dead brown children.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Are AT weaponry with top-down attack modes in Hamas' inventory at all? I get that "cope cages" are basically free, if minimal, extra protection, but from what I understood from the Ukraine thread, it appeared specially as a reaction to the numerous top-down attack munitions that Ukraine had been supplied with for anti-armor defense.

Quadcopter drones are basically top-down attack AT weapons

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Drones carrying grenades have been a significant element of their arsenal, and have been the chief reason for the IDF to adopt cope cages.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Paladinus posted:

According to the IDF, at least 20 out of the 105 confirmed Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza were due to friendly fire and accidents.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-deaths-of-20-out-of-105-soldiers-killed-in-gaza-op-were-friendly-fire-accidents/

Why would they publicly acknowledge such staggering incompetence? I guess, it at least makes the 105 more believable, because if they wanted to cover things up, they would have also tried to cover up the almost comical ineptitude on display in that report.

From their perspective, this is a more "acceptable truth." Accidents are going to happen on a battlefield; they're dangerous places. If you attribute 20% of your deaths to random chance, it downplays the enemy's competence and skill.

Which is a necessity when facts aren't cooperating with your stated position of superiority.

It's spinning bad news into a proclamation that we're still the best. One in five deaths are unrelated to enemy action, and are just a side effect of how deadly and powerful we are.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

moths posted:

From their perspective, this is a more "acceptable truth." Accidents are going to happen on a battlefield; they're dangerous places. If you attribute 20% of your deaths to random chance, it downplays the enemy's competence and skill.

Which is a necessity when facts aren't cooperating with your stated position of superiority.

It's spinning bad news into a proclamation that we're still the best. One in five deaths are unrelated to enemy action, and are just a side effect of how deadly and powerful we are.

See also Putin claiming that sometimes Russian ships just explode randomly for no reason every time they lose a prestigious ship to a country without a navy

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Eh. I think if the proposition is a simple "Biden should evaluate whether he'll lose more votes by being pro Israel or being anti Israel", the answer is going to be very unpleasant.

i also think the biden admin position is in aggregate that they should support israel in public (bad) and send them military aid (very bad), while telling them to settle down in private (good)

and every day that goes by makes that a more ill-advised position, what with the dead palestinians and razed residential areas

but we still probably don't want the calculus to be 100% vote based, because there are an awful lot of Israel-lovers in the United States, and while the current atrocities are moving that needle it's not moved far enough... probably

We also seem to be working with the assumption that the GOP will be quiet and not vocally criticize Biden for not being "pro-Israel" enough. (I seem to be finding a good number of "bring back Trump!" pieces in various not-quite-mainstream Jewish news sources already. For example: https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-776936.)

The GOP might be smart enough to stay mum and let the issue do whatever damage it can do to the US Democratic voter coalition without getting in the mix, but it's a long time until November 2024.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Biden is doing these things because he believes in them, not because he's crunching numbers trying to triangulate the most electorally beneficial position. He's a genuine Zionist.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

We also seem to be working with the assumption that the GOP will be quiet and not vocally criticize Biden for not being "pro-Israel" enough. (I seem to be finding a good number of "bring back Trump!" pieces in various not-quite-mainstream Jewish news sources already. For example: https://www.jpost.com/opinion/article-776936.)

The GOP might be smart enough to stay mum and let the issue do whatever damage it can do to the US Democratic voter coalition without getting in the mix, but it's a long time until November 2024.

the jpost is like Israeli Fox News fwiw

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

KillHour posted:

Biden is doing these things because he believes in them, not because he's crunching numbers trying to triangulate the most electorally beneficial position. He's a genuine Zionist.

Yeah I think this keeps getting lost in the sauce. Biden is a Zionist had has been for decades. This isn't political calculus it's core belief. Which honestly makes pressuring him that much harder but also that much more necessary, imo

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yup, Biden is Zionists brained to the max which is why he's going to lose and Israel will be the downfall of the United States.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

moths posted:

Half the coalition casualties in desert storm were friendly fire and they still killed Iraqis at a ludicrous ratio overall. Russia and Ukraine don’t report friendly fire but I know it happens there bc I talk to Russian soldiers. I think this is just par the course in modern warfare tbh, especially when open warfare is so rare for soldiers to see

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
BDS got Puma to finally stop renewing its contract with the Israeli Football Association

https://bdsmovement.net/news/bds-win-puma-forced-drop-sponsorship-israel-football-association

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

moths posted:

DarklyDreaming posted:

See also Putin claiming that sometimes Russian ships just explode randomly for no reason every time they lose a prestigious ship to a country without a navy

Good points. To me it still sets them in a worse light, but maybe it works differently on domestic audiences.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Paladinus posted:

According to the IDF, at least 20 out of the 105 confirmed Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza were due to friendly fire and accidents.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-deaths-of-20-out-of-105-soldiers-killed-in-gaza-op-were-friendly-fire-accidents/

Why would they publicly acknowledge such staggering incompetence? I guess, it at least makes the 105 more believable, because if they wanted to cover things up, they would have also tried to cover up the almost comical ineptitude on display in that report.

They are also used by Ukraine. It has a slight chance of protecting from a cheap drone dropping a grenade on you, but not much else. There are, however, a lot of cheap drones dropping grenades used in modern warfare, apparently.

You're always going to get accidental deaths in conflict, and generally around heavy plant. But 20% losses from it? That's either bollocks or incredibly damning of their training. It would be less embarrassing if they said they'd killed a dozen of their own people in one blue-on-blue strike against an APC or something.

'Cope cage' sneering has been a fantastic way to spot someone in a conversation who got their understanding of mechanised warfare from a cereal box dodgy twitter channel in 2022. They're a defence mechanism against (generally) gravity dropped light munitions aimed at the turret roof/hatches. So yes, they do work to at least some degree, depending on the design. The IDF ones actually look fairly decent.

I would be amazed if any country actually fitting them ever seriously considered that they would do anything to an ATGM while doing so.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 12, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Reportage on the same statistic from ynet: https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rkjqoobip but also includes the following:

quote:

The new figure of 20 casualties who fell specifically from operational accidents or friendly fire is minimal and doesn’t refer to the first three weeks preceding the ground escalation, regarding the casualties on October 7, nor does it include other fronts.

Casualties fell as a result of friendly fire on October 7, but the IDF believes that beyond the operational investigations of the events, it would not be morally sound to investigate these incidents due to the immense and complex quantity of them that took place in the kibbutzim and southern Israeli communities due to the challenging situations the soldiers were in at the time.

The IDF refusing to investigate these suggests that either the FF incidents on and around 10/7 were staggering -- or that the IDF killed a whole lot of israeli civilians. This isn't a stretch considering the kibbutznik testimony or the interviews of the IDF soldiers giving statements that were basically like "we rolled in and just started blasting". Probably both.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Has there been a lot of domestic blowback for those people who were not reporting for duty out of protest against Netanyahu's judiciary power grab attempt?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Grem posted:

Yup, Biden is Zionists brained to the max which is why he's going to lose and Israel will be the downfall of the United States.

He's also out of sync with his own party. I was pleasantly surprised to see more Democrats sympathizing with Palestinians than Israelis in this WSJ poll, but almost half sympathize with "both equally" which I find hard to understand.

Strong Republican support for Israel, but that shouldn't be a huge surprise.

WSJ article is here but paywalled: https://www.wsj.com/politics/majority-of-americans-back-israel-as-democrats-split-over-war-with-hamas-wsj-poll-finds-030f22c2?page=1

I can post it if people would like, didn't want to spam the thread.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Half the coalition casualties in desert storm were friendly fire and they still killed Iraqis at a ludicrous ratio overall.

I don't doubt that, but I do wonder if dessert storm's numbers were atypically high due to interagency and international friction within the coalition.

It looks like the US alone suffered 35 friendly deaths in DS - so granting Israel's numbers: Israel is claiming to have oops'd more than half what the US did in all of Desert Storm - in a single month.

Maybe the IDF is that bad.

I'd guess their numbers are a nightmare combination of downplaying enemy action (sometimes ships just explode,) the Hannibal deaths, sincere incompetence, slow-walking bad news, and Israel's propaganda tightrope of enemy being both weak and powerful.

Is anyone independently trying to count these numbers? I feel like you could add up Hamas videos and get more than 105 but I don't have the capacity for that.

E:

quote:

The new figure of 20 casualties who fell specifically from operational accidents or friendly fire is minimal and doesn’t refer to the first three weeks preceding the ground escalation, regarding the casualties on October 7, nor does it include other fronts.

Holy poo poo.

They might actually be that bad. If you add in October 7's indiscriminate blasting, things must get horrifying.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 12, 2023

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

moths posted:

Maybe the IDF is that bad.

i mean building to building combat in an urban environment sucks to hell and is very hard, but also yes the IDF probably has some competence drain that mirrors that of the overall government under likud

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember that they haven’t fought a real war since 2006 when they invaded Lebanon

The IDF has mostly become a force designed to put down insurrections and run the Occupation

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to see more Democrats sympathizing with Palestinians than Israelis in this WSJ poll, but almost half sympathize with "both equally" which I find hard to understand.

I suspect those respondents are trying to signal that they sympathize with Palestinians but don't want anyone to think that means they're antisemites.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

moths posted:

Is anyone independently trying to count these numbers? I feel like you could add up Hamas videos and get more than 105 but I don't have the capacity for that.

Apparently per this Haaretz article: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8e-d52f47ac0000 the IDF are only reporting around 15% of their casualties, based on the discrepancy between the IDF and israeli department of health. Full disclosure I'm basing this off a twitter summary of the article because I don't have a Haaretz account.

Considering that the department of health is another government source I wouldn't be surprised if they're undercounting as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I suspect those respondents are trying to signal that they sympathize with Palestinians but don't want anyone to think that means they're antisemites.

I think you're underestimating how many people can answer every question with "both sides just need to come to the table and negotiate"

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Reportage on the same statistic from ynet: https://www.ynetnews.com/article/rkjqoobip but also includes the following:

The IDF refusing to investigate these suggests that either the FF incidents on and around 10/7 were staggering -- or that the IDF killed a whole lot of israeli civilians. This isn't a stretch considering the kibbutznik testimony or the interviews of the IDF soldiers giving statements that were basically like "we rolled in and just started blasting". Probably both.

I usually hammer against what I believe(d) to be an overemphasis on friendly fire incidents on 10/7 (e.g., helicopters strafing Israeli civilians, etc.), but this particular wording on this particular website from this particular author is.... damning. Ynet isn't a crank website and Yoav Zitun seems like a regular military correspondent with a history. The wording leaves space for a "dozens vs hundreds" argument, but this is the most public, official acknowledgement of the scale of the friendly fire.

I really don't know how Israel has managed to let its press stay so open and free with the current/recent government.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Apparently per this Haaretz article: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...8e-d52f47ac0000 the IDF are only reporting around 15% of their casualties, based on the discrepancy between the IDF and israeli department of health. Full disclosure I'm basing this off a twitter summary of the article because I don't have a Haaretz account.

Considering that the department of health is another government source I wouldn't be surprised if they're undercounting as well.

If Israel's not counting the first three weeks, they're claiming half of the US's desert storm friendly kills in two weeks. If that's only 15% of the real numbers, IDF should be petitioning themselves for a ceasefire.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

the jpost is like Israeli Fox News fwiw

That's good to know.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the various Israeli news sources?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's good to know.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the various Israeli news sources?

Slightly more accurate breakdown with the ones im familiar with

JPost- NY Post
Times of Israel- Fox News
Haaretz- Guardian

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

quote:

Israel bad, blowing up concert goers and doing friendly fire

If the enemy is mixed in, point blanc with the civilians that they are executing, of course heli gunners are going to fire into the group. The alternative is to just watch the militants discover and kill everyone. And once the gunmen know they've been spotted, they will use the exact same structures and vehicles for concealment as the remaining civilians are. This is a poo poo no-win situation, which the attackers fully intended to create.

The IDF was forced to react to the attack and then do a pretty rapid push into hostile urban areas. Its not like the US planning in advance how to pick Iraq apart. Their casualties and friendly fire will be unsurprisingly huge.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Preen Dog posted:

Their casualties and friendly fire will be unsurprisingly huge.

These are surprisingly big numbers, even without annihilating a music festival with helicopter gunships.

They aren't counting the first three "no fair we weren't ready" weeks, and are still on track to eclipse desert storm friendly kills.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Preen Dog posted:

If the enemy is mixed in, point blanc with the civilians that they are executing, of course heli gunners are going to fire into the group. The alternative is to just watch the militants discover and kill everyone. And once the gunmen know they've been spotted, they will use the exact same structures and vehicles for concealment as the remaining civilians are. This is a poo poo no-win situation, which the attackers fully intended to create.

The IDF was forced to react to the attack and then do a pretty rapid push into hostile urban areas. Its not like the US planning in advance how to pick Iraq apart. Their casualties and friendly fire will be unsurprisingly huge.

I realize Israel believes it is worth killing Palestinian civilians en masse to get at Hamas, interesting to see its worth killing Israeli civilians en masse too. psycho poo poo

Is there a ratio of Hamas::civilians where you wouldn't just gun a crowd down? Like even at 1% composition Hamas could easily still kill everyone in the crowd given time, so probably safer to just riddle everyone with bullets it to ensure a successful operation.

Would it make sense to lock the doors to the building and burn it down in order to ensure Hamas doesn't escape?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

hadji murad posted:

Focusing on the suffering animals might be a better inroad with Western liberals than 10,000 dead brown children.

It's not just the animals, the people caring for the cats are also suffering. The donations help them as well.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's not just the animals, the people caring for the cats are also suffering. The donations help them as well.

Yes, the two brothers Samir and Tamir have run the sanctuary for years now, and they have made it clear that they are not going to abandon their cats no matter how bad it gets.
They are in North Gaza, and my gut feeling is that they not only can't move because the cats can't be transported safely, they won't move because they refuse to be driven from their homes.
They've said a few times, they will live or die together with their families, and that includes the cats.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

the gop is going to start calling biden anti semitic. book it

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

celadon posted:

Is there a ratio of Hamas::civilians where you wouldn't just gun a crowd down? Like even at 1% composition Hamas could easily still kill everyone in the crowd given time

Yes, you start blasting at everything you think is the threat, or wait for the threat to reduce your friendlies to a level that makes you comfortable with your portion of guilt in the trolley problem.

But there wouldn't be any such calulation in reality. The attack force size and composition was unknown, and IDFs goal would simply be to halt the incursion with all force available. Wasting time trying to snipe one attacker or even distinguish them means others can advance further. Everyone looks the same in thermal, and a captured civilian is much worse strategically than a dead one. The chopper crews are basically God, but on the flip side, everything looks like a manpad and a rifle bullet can kill them through the windshield.

For any hope of survival, civilians would have to hide until ground forces could retake the area and ID them face to face, which is seen in video of the aftermath.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 12, 2023

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

ummel posted:

I usually hammer against what I believe(d) to be an overemphasis on friendly fire incidents on 10/7 (e.g., helicopters strafing Israeli civilians, etc.), but this particular wording on this particular website from this particular author is.... damning. Ynet isn't a crank website and Yoav Zitun seems like a regular military correspondent with a history. The wording leaves space for a "dozens vs hundreds" argument, but this is the most public, official acknowledgement of the scale of the friendly fire.

I really don't know how Israel has managed to let its press stay so open and free with the current/recent government.

I'm still firmly of the belief that if you have a group of bodies - a considerable number, certainly in the many hundreds - burned so bad that a month later you're saying DNA/teeth analysis suggest that 200 of them are Hamas bodies, then you can easily suggest that almost certainly more than two hundred Israelis (assuming a loose 1:1 ratio for civilian to militant) were killed by the IDF alongside the burned Hamas members.

I come back to the fact that if the IDF knew it was killing Hamas members then they could have isolated those groups of bodies. It's clear they were indistinguishable from the hostages.

It's also likely that much of what has been filled in with active imaginations (whole families tortured to death and burned alive) are extrapolations from deaths by tank or other fire. Explosives and building collapses will absolutely shred bodies. They decapitate and mutilate and burn.

Saying that, it's also clear that Hamas or other groups killed a large number of Israeli civilians. I suspect where civilians have been shot, a good proportion are victims of Hamas. Where their bodies have been burned/exist in collapsed buildings, it'll be from Israeli fire.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Young Freud posted:

One of the things I recall about the Merkava is that the engine is in the front of the tank to provide additional crew protection and I can definitely think that may have been a compromise if they couldn't produce a front glacis thick enough to withstand most tanks.

Merkava was originally designed back when everyone had HEAT rounds that could penetrate everyone's best armor, so no-one could prevent being penetrated. But also those HEAT rounds had so-so post-pen effects, especially if it hit something as solid as an engine block, so putting your engine up front behind the armor meant that after a hit, the crew would be alive and if the fire suppression system worked, the tank would be repairable.

After people figured out ceramic composite armor, this line of thinking became a bit obsolete, but the Merkava already existed and there is significant industrial inertia, which means they still do that. (Which is also why almost no-one else did the front engine thing back when people thought it was a good idea.)

cat botherer posted:

Slat armor works really well whenever the slat spacing is smaller than the incoming round. Modern armor piercing rounds are usually shaped charges, designed to basically create a tight hypersonic jet of metal particles that can punch through. The slats disrupt and/or detonate the round before it makes contact with the armor, greatly reducing the effectiveness of the shaped charge.

Note that if a round hits on the slat and detonates, it will likely pen. The added distance does nothing against any HEAT round designed after the 60's, in fact it probably helps penetration a little, modern designs want standoff. The point is to physically damage the round before it detonates, and this mostly works against the various older RPG/ATGM designs designed in the USSR, which have a fuze that will only work when the tip of the round makes contact with something, so whenever the tip "misses" the slat and the slat manages to bite into the body, it will just break the round before it contacts the vehicle. Javelins etc are prox-fuzed and have tandem charge warheads, meaning that they will detonate the first charge at a significant distance, clearing ERA and/or any cope cages from the target before the main charge detonates.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That wasn't my point about liberals, but yes, it is a very good cause for people to support. I wish them well, and hope they don't get murdered and their pets don't starve to death under the genocide.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

hadji murad posted:

That wasn't my point about liberals, but yes, it is a very good cause for people to support. I wish them well, and hope they don't get murdered and their pets don't starve to death under the genocide.

Aw, sorry, I misunderstood the tone of your post. I also deeply hope the brothers and their cats survive.

Anyway, the UN has called for an immediate ceasefire: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/hunger-rises-gaza-un-prepares-vote-ceasefire-resolution-2023-12-12/

Is this going to change anything moving forward? Like, are there going to be any meaningful consciences for Israel if they ignore this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Mia Wasikowska posted:

the gop is going to start calling biden anti semitic. book it

They already are if you count the especially shameless right-wing internet personalities as the GOP