Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Do you all ever just drive a certain newer car and think Absolutely Not!
i got a Volvo S60 today for a rental, and I don't like it at all.

The vertical infotainment pisses me off. It's also laggy as gently caress. The thing has Google OS and has a Play Store, but it won't let me install or use Android Auto.

Twist a knob to start is dumb, a button is fine, this doesn't need to exist. The start/stop is super aggressive too. I also remember Volvos having comfortable seats, and these ain't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Extremely tall second gear is not a track thing what? Track thing would be shorter gears all together as most tracks you arent ever going to get to 6th and just wait for the higher top speed of making tall rear end gears. You want gears set up to just keep you in the power band. Also manual isn’t for track anyway, that would be PDK gearing. None of that logic makes any sense. You are already slower on track in a manual, so why have a lovely manual experience to boot?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hey, you know what's awesome? The Sheep Game!

Click our mission patch to go to space play today!

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

TheBacon posted:

Extremely tall second gear is not a track thing what? Track thing would be shorter gears all together as most tracks you arent ever going to get to 6th and just wait for the higher top speed of making tall rear end gears. You want gears set up to just keep you in the power band. Also manual isn’t for track anyway, that would be PDK gearing. None of that logic makes any sense. You are already slower on track in a manual, so why have a lovely manual experience to boot?
Who do you think is the target market for manual transmissions in 2023 if not the track/enthusiast crowd? Commuters? Theyre for having fun and feeling more connected with the car, which is what track days are for and you see a ton of manuals at track days. Yeah, autos are faster nowadays but people like manuals because they are fun and feel extra connected. Most people doing track days in road cars aren’t doing any sort of competition.

The reason to have taller gearing for the early gears is to make them usable. At most tracks in any decent sports car you probably don’t even see speeds below 50mph on a normal lap so if second gear tops out at 55/60 then two of your gears are completely useless. There’s no powerband to use if you’re going faster than the gears redline.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

crackhaed posted:

Who do you think is the target market for manual transmissions in 2023 if not the track/enthusiast crowd? Commuters? Theyre for having fun and feeling more connected with the car, which is what track days are for and you see a ton of manuals at track days. Yeah, autos are faster nowadays but people like manuals because they are fun and feel extra connected. Most people doing track days in road cars aren’t doing any sort of competition.

The reason to have taller gearing for the early gears is to make them usable. At most tracks in any decent sports car you probably don’t even see speeds below 50mph on a normal lap so if second gear tops out at 55/60 then two of your gears are completely useless. There’s no powerband to use if you’re going faster than the gears redline.

And if you have super tall gears then 5 and 6 are useless. In short, it’s a gearbox of contrasts

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That’s exactly who they are for, but also the occasional track day for gt3 probably, but your 4cyl boxster is probably not seeing track days. All of them are going to see more spirited canyon miles and hours than track ones. So yeah “just a Porsche thing” to have super long tall gears on base model manuals is a dumb as hell reason. I’d also say there are quite a few closed course driving environments that are going to get you down into 50mph.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

kill me now posted:

And if you have super tall gears then 5 and 6 are useless. In short, it’s a gearbox of contrasts
Yeah but they don’t go super tall on those, just the lower gears.

TheBacon posted:

That’s exactly who they are for, but also the occasional track day for gt3 probably, but your 4cyl boxster is probably not seeing track days. All of them are going to see more spirited canyon miles and hours than track ones. So yeah “just a Porsche thing” to have super long tall gears on base model manuals is a dumb as hell reason. I’d also say there are quite a few closed course driving environments that are going to get you down into 50mph.
Hey, I’m not defending their choices, just explaining that this is in fact why they do this.The vast majority of Porsches will never see a track so it makes a lot morse sense to offer track gearing as part of a track package or something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

You say that but GAH!

.. what's wrong with that? Looks fine.

kill me now posted:

Because to get comparable power you are paying about $100k for a GTS boxster.

The Z4 is a nice driving and comfortable to be in sports car. The B58 rips and is very moddable.

100k used to be GT4 money :(

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 12, 2023

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

KillHour posted:

.. what's wrong with that? Looks fine.

Agreed. I use the Z4 as a palate cleanser when I accidentally see and iX, xM, or photo of the Neue Klasse.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Z4 looks much better in person IMO. I see one parked downtown occasionally and every time I go, "oh what's that" at first.

It's as over-stylized as anything on the market, but I still think it looks pretty decent.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It looks like an M8 hosed a Miata. I like it.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

It's okay but it's too big for a two seater convertible

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I think they look nice. Still have the last gen iDrive too I think. I bought a Miata this year and really enjoy it but I had a b58 before and I do miss the sound it made.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Eyud posted:

It's okay but it's too big for a two seater convertible

Mazda will always have your back for at least a few more years.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Franco Caution posted:

or photo of the Neue Klasse.

Woah woah woah, the Neue Klasse is awesome and I can’t wait to see its design language in the next generation 3 series

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If they manage to put the hosed up kidneys on the z4 I do not know what I’ll do…probably just deeply sigh and weep a little.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheBacon posted:

If they manage to put the hosed up kidneys on the z4 I do not know what I’ll do…probably just deeply sigh and weep a little.

But it's so happy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I saw a new colorado on the road and holy poo poo they are huge.

i made this, size aligned to the 17" wheels. Wheelbase looks right 120" > 131.4"

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Its crazy watching that belt line and bed height shoot up.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I think Alfa has the best quirky brand defining grill.

Jeep is up there too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Franco Caution posted:

Probably bloated up to late 90s 1500 size by now

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Powershift posted:

I saw a new colorado on the road and holy poo poo they are huge.

i made this, size aligned to the 17" wheels. Wheelbase looks right 120" > 131.4"

Made for maximum pedestrian kill rate.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Franco Caution posted:

To be fair that's comparing a Z71 and to a ZR2 which has a factory 3 inch lift that may not be including another half-inch from its larger tires.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

But it's so happy

:negative:

davecrazy posted:

I think Alfa has the best quirky brand defining grill.

Jeep is up there too.

Love me the lil moustache :italy:

I saw a render of a guilia wagon a while back and I have never wanted anything more in my life. And if you could get it QV AND a stick :vince: there would be DOZENS of us that want it!!!

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 12, 2023

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
What's a car with a locking trunk that can't be bipped and that has fire road clearance?

All I can think of are the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline, with trunks under the beds.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Franco Caution posted:

The vertical infotainment pisses me off. It's also laggy as gently caress. The thing has Google OS and has a Play Store, but it won't let me install or use Android Auto.

2019 and earlier new Volvos have the old Volvo infotainment software with Android Auto, but the hardware was too slow so it's laggy rear end
2020-2022 model years (depending on the specific model) have the old software on upgraded hardware and it's pretty good
Now they replaced the old software with this Google OS bloatware and it sucks rear end again

It's really loving stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

Made for maximum pedestrian kill rate.

and masculinity affirmation

Unfortunately we also had to make the bed higher and less usable to do this and put a little steppy thing on there but whaddaya gonna do, not worry about if you're gay or whatever the gently caress? We simply could not not make the truck look huge sorry

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

the two are almost certainly related

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Unfortunately we also had to make the bed higher and less usable to do this and put a little steppy thing on there but whaddaya gonna do, not worry about if you're gay or whatever the gently caress? We simply could not not make the truck look huge sorry

The hood had to rise about a foot to accommodate for the truck’s huge balls

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Probably bloated up to late 90s 1500 size by now

The only way my 2018 Canyon is smaller than a 1960-2000 half-ton truck is width.

To be perfectly fair, the Canyon also has equal-or-better payload and towing capacity to a 1960-2000 half-ton truck.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing that really kills me about these trucks (aside from, you know, in a collision) is that they are longer than any parking space at any store. They literally do not fit. It makes parking lots a nightmare to navigate as 2 lanes quickly turns into 1.75 or 1.5 and also bottlenecks turns at the end of rows since you can't see and you have to swing way around the bed.

Then there's the wonderful act of backing into a space and covering 2/3rds of a sidewalk with the bed overhang. I do not think it's cool to damage other people's property, but if someone handicapped had to contend with not being able to get by due to that I wouldn't take issue with them keying the gently caress out of the vehicle.

Typical parking lot spots are anywhere from 16ft to 20ft with the later being considered an oversized or large spot.

An F150 starts at 17.45 feet and goes to 20.2 feet. So, at best the shortest of F150s will only fit in half of the parking spot size range and at worst it will fit in no standard parking spot size.

Even compared to cars that we think, historically, are huge land boats, these are big. A 1955 Chevy Bel Air is only 16.3 feet long. 1975 Olds Cutlass? 16.8 feet.

How did we get to a point where car manufacturers were allowed to make vehicles for general sale that DO NOT FIT into standard infrastructure?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 13, 2023

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I also wonder how much traffic could be alleviated if cars in general were smaller. There are a lot of cars on the road, but if each one took up less space, maybe it would be better. Better visibility would make it easier to have smaller gaps between vehicles as well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The amount of cars that are sat in traffic with a single person in them has to be well over 90%. And there was me sliding between them all right to the front of the lines on a motorbike.

Cars are poo poo for commuting. Absolute garbage.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Commuting in a single occupancy vehicle, especially a big stupid truck or SUV, is like dragging a whole studio apartment around with you. It’s so unnecessary and inefficient and wasteful. Like yeah no poo poo traffic sucks when each vehicle is like 200 sqft, plus buffer space, and all of a sudden only a couple dozen people have jammed up the roadway with decidedly not-people.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

i own every Bionicle posted:

I also wonder how much traffic could be alleviated if cars in general were smaller. There are a lot of cars on the road, but if each one took up less space, maybe it would be better. Better visibility would make it easier to have smaller gaps between vehicles as well.

Bigger, heavier cars are worse for traffic and roads in pretty much every way.

e: Let's say you have bigger cars, which means that fewer cars can pass while the light is green, meaning you just have to wait longer to get through an intersection.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It's the nanny state's fault for insisting I have to drive my kid to pre-school in a "back seat" instead of whipping him around the back roads in the passenger seat of a Miata!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cars are poo poo for commuting. Absolute garbage.

Except for in winter, when its -30 out?
Or summer when its + 30 celsius? Assuming the AC works I guess.
Or raining really hard.
Snowing.
Dusty.
Windy as gently caress.
Hailing, well I guess if you got a helmet, it doesn't matter if your hands get hosed up.
Freezing rain

IIRC, you live on knife attack island where the climate is somewhat milder, but I'd have to guess that driving a motorcycle through heavy rain, snow, freezing rain etc. sucks, even if everyone else on the road is also on a motorcycle and is as cautious as you.

But if someone has actual experience riding in such conditions and can tell me that its ok, I'll take their word for it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wesleywillis posted:

Or raining really hard.
Snowing.
Dusty.
Windy as gently caress.
Hailing, well I guess if you got a helmet, it doesn't matter if your hands get hosed up.
Freezing rain

IIRC, you live on knife attack island where the climate is somewhat milder, but I'd have to guess that driving a motorcycle through heavy rain, snow, freezing rain etc. sucks, even if everyone else on the road is also on a motorcycle and is as cautious as you.

But if someone has actual experience riding in such conditions and can tell me that its ok, I'll take their word for it.

I commute on bike in severe heat, howling winds and dust / smoke. No real issue. Maybe even 30mm/hr rain. I'm not even by any stretch the only one out on days like it's threatening today where it's already 30C at 10am and supposed to peak at 40C+ about 4pm or about an hour after I have started my commute home. Cars really suck when being stuck in crawling traffic.

I'd love to spend more time going hell sideways on a track or rally stage cause thats where cars are fun but the money I'm saving not driving is getting demolished by inflation

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
But do you actually like bicycling or do you just do it because it's less bad than driving?

For my own experience I bicycled year around during high school. -20°C was pretty much a non issue in the dry arctic cold, except for the brakes not working. In fact I hit one car simply because I was unable to slow down. Then in '98 I moved to the south coast for university. The first day of bicycling in slush around freezing temperature is when I abandoned my bicycle on the nearest tram stop and headed downtown to buy a bus pass. I think that is the last time I have bicycled in the cold.

Pre-corona I biked to work occasionally, but that was when we went to office every day and had desktops. Afterwards I mostly work remotely and we have hot desks, so I would have to bring my laptop and change of clothes. That is more cargo than I am willing to deal with on a bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Or raining really hard.
Snowing.
Dusty.
Windy as gently caress.
Freezing rain

Lol typical cager brain.