Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Carthag Tuek posted:

There's a really nice mural of part of Alfabet near me, painted by artist & wrier Dea Trier Mørch

Wonder what it's like in English

Alphabet posted:

apricot trees exist, apricot trees exist

bracken exists; and blackberries, blackberries;
bromine exists; and hydrogen, hydrogen

cicadas exist; chicory, chromium,
citrus trees; cicadas exist;
cicadas, cedars, cypresses, the cerebellum

doves exist, dreamers, and dolls;
killers exist, and doves, and doves;
haze, dioxin, and days; days
exist, days and death; and poems
exist; poems, days, death

early fall exists; aftertaste, afterthought;
seclusion and angels exist;
widows and elk exist; every
detail exists; memory, memory’s light;
afterglow exists; oaks, elms,
junipers, sameness, loneliness exist;
eider ducks, spiders, and vinegar
exist, and the future, the future

https://www.amazon.com/alphabet-Inger-Christensen-ebook/dp/B079MTJYT4

It's available as an e-book with a free sample.

Inger Christensen belonged to a Danish poetic movement called Systemic Poetry, in which entire collections of poems are organized according to strict formal demands. Alphabet uses both alphabetical ordering and the Fibonacci sequence.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ah okay yeah I guess finding synonyms with the same initials would in many cases be impossible

Thx :)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the prologue to it is really hypnotizing, with how the paragraphs and then lines gradually shift from two solid pages, down to just one line

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
A fun part of reading it as a an adult was recognizing how many of those classic Danish songs I liked in school were actually sequences from it set to music. Like this absolutely bitching sequence from ACTION - transitivities I still hum from time to time:

it posted:

So they cultivate grain on an altar in Chile
and use an old cannon to keep milk on ice
and then they make kindling of poison-tipped arrows
and use a lost bastion for growing their rice

And then they play ball games with innocent bombshells
And hide-and-go-seek in a closed parliament
And then they play chess with the minuscule pieces
Of what at one time was a great president

So they cultivate grapes in the stony old Mafia
And slaughter their sheep and goats inside the banks
And then they drive Rolls-Royces all around Sofia
And they burn rubles and dollars and francs

And then they sing songs of the joy of the people
And songs of the grief of the people as well
And then they blow off all the parties and topple
The last paper tiger from his citadel

The translation does a remarkable job of preserving the rhyme and meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2J8o9joFeY

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
All this talk of Williams got me to read Butcher's Crossing. It was really stellar. The imagery was wonderful, and the themes of loss and waste run strong throughout the book. A callback to a regretful segment of Western US History. Definitely going to read Augustus and Stoner eventually.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

well that was the recommendation i was waiting for. i'll see if i can dig up Butcher's Crossing from a library somewhere. enjoy getting Stoned

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Butchers Crossing is a western?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
he actually read 'the crossing' by jim butcher

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man don't get me more hosed up. I'm already misreading it as Miller's Crossing

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

cumpantry posted:

well that was the recommendation i was waiting for. i'll see if i can dig up Butcher's Crossing from a library somewhere. enjoy getting Stoned

I’m a hundred pages into Stoner atm and really enjoying it. butcher’s Crossing is very different but at least as good imo. He always writes excellent prose: straightforward and readable, but elegant and evocative. And he’s a great storyteller.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
It's a Western inasmuch as it takes place in the American West. There's no gunfights, cowboys, or Native Americans though. Well, the party runs across a group of native Americans, but I think it's like 2 lines of one paragraph and then never mentioned again.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Man don't get me more hosed up. I'm already misreading it as Miller's Crossing

One of the main characters of Butcher’s Crossing is named Miller. Welcome to the Crossingverse

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I'm a bit late to the relevant discussion, but if you guys want a conceptual framework regarding derivative works that doesn't proffer value judgements or establish arbitrary/historically contingent categories, Genette's Palimpsests would be a useful read. It was, at the very least, extremely influential on how modern literary theory analyses metatextual relationships.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Watching Florencia en el Amazonas right now got me in the mood for some of that Latin American magical realism, what's the real heat? I'm going for some 100 years or love in the time of cholera or is there some b sides that I need to be checking out.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Watching Florencia en el Amazonas right now got me in the mood for some of that Latin American magical realism, what's the real heat? I'm going for some 100 years or love in the time of cholera or is there some b sides that I need to be checking out.

Terra Nostra by Carlos Fuentes

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

mdemone posted:

Terra Nostra by Carlos Fuentes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Everything else by Marquez is better.

Also check out Alejo Carpentier.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gaius Marius posted:

love in the time of cholera is only just barely "magical realism," if you're particularly interested in that as a, whatever, movement or style then it's not the place to go. I don't know how much stock I put in it as a subgenre, maybe the connections would be more obvious if I could read the seminal spanish and portuguese novels in the originals but e.g. 100 years and blindness and like water for chocolate aren't very similar books in any way other than "from latin america" and "have a fantastical conceit"

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Everything else by Marquez is better.

Also check out Alejo Carpentier.

Autumn of the Patriarch is also extremely good, but, like, Memories of My Melancholy Whores is better than Love in the Time of Cholera? Really??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lobster Henry posted:

Autumn of the Patriarch is also extremely good, but, like, Memories of My Melancholy Whores is better than Love in the Time of Cholera? Really??

Oh I didn't spot that, just 100 Different Buendias.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Nevertheless, those are fighting words. Every Buendia is precious to me and unique. I love the book and certainly don’t find it totally impossible to keep track of who’s who past, like, the second generation

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

love in the time of cholera is only just barely "magical realism," if you're particularly interested in that as a, whatever, movement or style then it's not the place to go. I don't know how much stock I put in it as a subgenre, maybe the connections would be more obvious if I could read the seminal spanish and portuguese novels in the originals but e.g. 100 years and blindness and like water for chocolate aren't very similar books in any way other than "from latin america" and "have a fantastical conceit"

I mostly listed it because it's one of the two titles I can name that are associated with the genre and it was an inspiration for the Opera.

I don't think it's any less useful than any other genre descriptor. There's always gonna be edge cases and debatable points but being able to say if you liked X there's a higher percentage chance you'll like Y is still useful.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Picked up Terra Nostra, curious is 2666 also considered in the genre? I do have a copy of that laying around.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Picked up Terra Nostra, curious is 2666 also considered in the genre? I do have a copy of that laying around.

Oh lord no

There ain't nothin magic about that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Really, I'd heard it compared to Pynchon who, especially in ATD, is very magical realism adjacent at least.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Really, I'd heard it compared to Pynchon who, especially in ATD, is very magical realism adjacent at least.

Bolaño in 2666, to Pynchon?

No that doesn't make any sense

Did we cross wires? Fuentes is magical realism and very Pynchon

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nonlinear storytelling predates the Renaissance, I'm not gonna have anybody Kramering into the thread saying 2666 is the same as what Pynchon did

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the person I talked to was making the comparison in that the disunity in plot as reflection of Mexican society and how the previous generation presage the current one, the same way the corporate vultures picking over Germany's corpse and the odd balls who inhabit the zone are reflections of the 60's US counterculture and their hidden, but complicit relationship with the institutions of power.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s not really magical realist per se, since the book is from the 1860s or so, but The posthumous memoirs of Bras Cubas is definitely worth a read. the narrator is the ghost of the main character detailing his life

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

dropping Murakami's Norwegian Wood, this sucks lol. i don't know if this is his fault or jay rubin's but the prose is weak rear end poo poo. regardless the story's not really much a standout coming of age one. protagonist is a cool guy babe magnet who has sex with lots of girls but knows it's meaningless. he doesn't really have anything interesting to say when he isn't fuckin

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's every murakami

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

a post once described him as the 'reddit of literature' and i am now inclined to believe it

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

the first Murakami you read is always gonna be the best because they're all the same, so if you don't like it then yeah you're done

I like Kafka on the Shore because I read it at a formative moment, but as a result I couldn't bear the rest

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mine was the trilogy of the rat

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/161271-the-pure-present-is-an-ungraspable-advance-of-the-past

I've always felt like this is the quintessential Murakami quote. If you like it, you will love Murakami. NSFW.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Terra Nostra is really good so far. Knew I was in for some good poo poo when he dropped a reference to Resnais. Can't say I'm picking up even half the references that are being made but am pretty glad that the work isn't end noted to hell, it was cute in IJ but by the end I was just exhausted. Not to mention it made me lose my place in the e-reader a dozen times.

Actually at first glance the novel I find it most similar to is Decay of the Angel by Mishima, although our protagonist lacks the abject horror slash sexual fetishization of the destruction inherent to modernity.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 18, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SimonChris posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/161271-the-pure-present-is-an-ungraspable-advance-of-the-past

I've always felt like this is the quintessential Murakami quote. If you like it, you will love Murakami. NSFW.

lol

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

derp posted:

She thought of Ayumi Nakano, the lonely policewoman who, one August night, wound up in a hotel room in Shibuya, handcuffed, strangled with a bathrobe belt. A troubled young woman walking toward the abyss of destruction. She had had beautiful breasts as well. Aomame mourned the deaths of these two friends deeply. It saddened her to think that these women were forever gone from the world. And she mourned their lovely breasts—breasts that had vanished without a trace.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
otoh

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Haruki Murakami: "Transparency Goat Hotel Story"- when middle aged writer Maruki Hurakami's cat gets lost inside a description of what al dente pasta means, it's up to some women who curiously want to have sex with him, as well as a sexy lolita who he is just friends with, no big deal, to solve the case of which band from the 70s stole all the Cutty Sark off a secret truck from another dimension. (Nominated for the 2015 Nobel Prize in literature)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Terra Nostra is really good so far. Knew I was in for some good poo poo when he dropped a reference to Resnais. Can't say I'm picking up even half the references that are being made....

Just power through, if there's anyone who is getting more than half the references then they probably have several related degrees.