Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whydirt posted:

I’ve heard rumors that lining torment ghost with wisps can get good loot explosions if you’re up for trying that

Empy and crew are pushing this to the limit and it’s hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

Splitting Steel champ hit 2 voidstones and full atlas (excluding uniques) last night. I'm still unsure what atlas strategy I want to do though. I (surprisingly) don't have the DPS for legion yet, since I spent all my money on survivability. Ultimatum's boring. I don't want to do Harvest/Expedition for the nth league in a row. Please send help.

That build should be really good at bossing if you ever wanted to try your hand at it. May not be super profitable til you can blast Ubers, though. I’m no expert on bossing tho so grain of salt and such. If you do aim for Ubers, I think mbxtreme did a YouTube series comparing the value of each. Iirc Uber shaper came out on top

It’s not sexy, but essence/beast crafting is gonna start picking up big over the next few days into mid-league. I think maxroll has a guide combining both farms

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

I’ve heard rumors that lining torment ghost with wisps can get good loot explosions if you’re up for trying that

Real PoE players go for Torment possessed Essence Beasts with wisps :colbert:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
My LA thoughts so far:

Clearing alch + vaal'd t16s on a 10c bow, floor rares, and a cheap unique ring.

lovely unrolled flasks that I found while leveling

On a 4 link

Without the last lab done

Build is strong.

I definitely get one shot sometimes, but it got a lot better once I got spell suppression on the tree, and got evasion gear. Some rares and unique take a minute to kill because my DPS is bad, but magic and normal mobs die quick. I've yet to brick a map.

I'll start cleaning up my gear now, buy a cheap 6L, fix my flasks, last lab, etc, but figured I'd drop a status report on how good LA even with trash.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

That build should be really good at bossing if you ever wanted to try your hand at it. May not be super profitable til you can blast Ubers, though. I’m no expert on bossing tho so grain of salt and such. If you do aim for Ubers, I think mbxtreme did a YouTube series comparing the value of each. Iirc Uber shaper came out on top

It’s not sexy, but essence/beast crafting is gonna start picking up big over the next few days into mid-league. I think maxroll has a guide combining both farms

yeah, last league someone showed me a shaper guardian fragment farming strategy where you double up with maven summons. it was pretty good and definitely a bit repetitive, but very stable and consistent for money. maybe ill try to give that a spin. hopefully i can get my DPS up, i goofed a bit spending 6divs getting 100% ailment immune. i shouldve gone +2 impale eye. oh well

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I haven’t done EAB for awhile . I think I’m going to do that. The onslaught effect from the charms really helps it

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

As someone completely new to PoE outside of getting a couple characters to level ten over the last decade, reading this thread might as well be reading another language. Is there a good text-based “Welcome to PoE” guide that is goon recommended?

After many attempts have resulted in it not clicking for me, I tried again as a caustic arrow into toxic rain build for this league and am having a blast as of the start of act 2.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Maxroll is probably your best bet for text-based

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

A Real Horse posted:

As someone completely new to PoE outside of getting a couple characters to level ten over the last decade, reading this thread might as well be reading another language. Is there a good text-based “Welcome to PoE” guide that is goon recommended?

After many attempts have resulted in it not clicking for me, I tried again as a caustic arrow into toxic rain build for this league and am having a blast as of the start of act 2.

People in this thread will spend all their time talking about mapping and endgame stuff, but as a new player, your goal should just be to play through the story and enjoy the sights along the way. If you want to be sure to be able to do the endgame, you need to follow a build guide; maxroll has plenty of those. If you'd rather just play at your own pace and figure things out as you go, your first character is almost guaranteed to not be good enough for endgame, but that's fine as long as all you want to do is experience the campaign and learn as you go. Here's the quick-and-dirty on how to do that:

1) You need more Life than you think. No, more than that. Your goal should be to increase your max Life by about 300 in each act. So Life on gear is a high priority, as is max Life on the passive tree.
2) There's a search bar at top of the passive tree. Type in "maximum Life" and use that as a guide for generally planning where you should go. Yes I'm still harping on this. You can find relevant damage nodes along the way; the search bar is good for this too, but you can also just hover over the large nodes at far end of paths/circles (the larger nodes are called Notables) to get an idea of what all the nodes in that path/circle give you.
3) Aside from life, most of your gear is dedicated to getting resists. Elemental resists are easy to get, and around Act 5 you should be getting all of those close to the cap of 75%; the cap is the goal, and being a couple points below that cap will make you take a lot more damage. Chaos resist is much rarer and comes in smaller numbers. Get what you can, but don't worry about it too much.
4) The exceptions to the above: boots and weapon. Your boots should have movespeed. Ideally you also have health and resists on boots, but the game will feel better to play the more movespeed you have. Your weapon should be all about damage; you're going bows, so that includes quiver. You can get resists in these slots, but ignore that if you find an option that gives more damage.
5) The third exception: starting in Act 3, you can find four-links. You want one of these, and a dedicated damage skill and three relevant support gems is all you need to finish the campaign. You should be upgrading your weapon and boots regularly, so find a four-link with the right colors in the hand, chest, or head slot. Getting a drop from a monster is ideal, but also check the armor vendor in town. They get new inventory when you level up (tho they keep a rolling inventory of a couple-levels' worth, so don't sweat coming back every level). Once you have your four-link, you can just leave that slot alone. Having a four-link item with no mods is better than a three link with life and resists; it's that important. Maybe throw an essence at it if you get one with life or a resist or something, but really, don't worry about it.
6) Speaking of gems, if you read the descriptions of support gems and look at the tags at the top, you can usually tell which supports work for which active skills. The way to know for sure, tho, is to link them and then hover over the active skill. Any support gems that are actually supporting the active skill will light up.

And that's about it. Everything else you can either pick up along the way or ask about here; we love newbies. Eventually you will probably want to use a build guide and find out how good characters are made, experience the endgame, etc.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got Raise Spectre of Transience and tried it out on an ape. Is there any way to remove the ape from the pool of spectres when I get the two I really need for SRS? Do I need to use a brand new Raise Spectre of Transience gem? Someone can give me those corpses if I ask in chat I think I saw someone say?

Is there a way to get a timer for my Radiant Sentinel so he doesn't disappear at an inopportune time?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I got Raise Spectre of Transience and tried it out on an ape. Is there any way to remove the ape from the pool of spectres when I get the two I really need for SRS? Do I need to use a brand new Raise Spectre of Transience gem? Someone can give me those corpses if I ask in chat I think I saw someone say?

Is there a way to get a timer for my Radiant Sentinel so he doesn't disappear at an inopportune time?

Uh, why are you using Transience? The point of having the apes is that they generate charges for your skull boys, they aren't really doing any attacking or such that would benefit from the offensive bonuses Transience provides, on top of having to resummon them often. Regular Raise Spectre means you only have to resummon them when they die. I think the only way to remove a corpse from your Desecrate pool is to make sure they're not a Spectre then wait for any instances they may have been used in (including your hideout) to timeout. People generally go to general chat #6666 to ask for specific corpses. They invite you to party, you go to their hideout, they Desecrate, you summon from the appropriate corpse.

Probably some way to overlay a timer using AutoHotkey that activates whenever you press the button your Large Adult Sun is bound to.

Noper Q posted:

6) Speaking of gems, if you read the descriptions of support gems and look at the tags at the top, you can usually tell which supports work for which active skills. The way to know for sure, tho, is to link them and then hover over the active skill. Any support gems that are actually supporting the active skill will light up.

If you hover over a support gem that's not socketed it will also list all of the socketed active skills you have and show which which ones it does/doesn't support.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 12, 2023

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

My friend restarted as this today, necro ascendency. It seems cracked.

Please post his thoughts, id love to live vicariously through this hilariousness
I dont want to pob or any other filth but if it scales as i think it is, its a broken af build that is even better than ts occultist that fyregrass oversold, just cheaper.
poo poo can be mad with current amount of +gem lvls in game

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I'd also suggest you people gouge the market of the blink/mirror arrow of bombardment gems for posterity

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
PSA if you're an Animate Guardian enjoyer, don't use Southbound gloves. Find cheap gloves with a 35% Chaos Res roll and an open suffix, then get someone to craft "Fire + Chaos Res" on it to hit 50% Chaos Res total. It'll bring your AG from 20% Chaos Res to 70%, which you'll need if you do Ultimatum. With that they should be safe from Miasma / Profane penalties.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i turned off ultimatum. that's a whole lot of work for not a lot of reward

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jinnigan posted:

i turned off ultimatum. that's a whole lot of work for not a lot of reward

You misspelled "affliction"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My opinion on Affliction turned quite a bit when I realized the currency isn't saved

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Noper Q posted:

A lot of really helpful advice

Hey thank you, this is very helpful! Glad my instinct of “boots are for movespeed” from other ARPGs isn’t wrong here. I am following a build guide, at least for the passive tree and skills. Some of the equipment it’s saying I should have is hard to come by (not uniques, just some specific base item types) but I’m assuming that since I’m just leveling up in act 2, I can solve this problem by not caring for now.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

You misspelled "affliction"

frankly i might start skipping the league mechanic, or only do them at the end of maps. it's not bad but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what i'm getting reward-wise, and it gives the monsters so much god drat life

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've just accepted that I'll be stuck with Oath of the Maji forever. I can't see the blue wisps

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

A Real Horse posted:

Hey thank you, this is very helpful! Glad my instinct of “boots are for movespeed” from other ARPGs isn’t wrong here. I am following a build guide, at least for the passive tree and skills. Some of the equipment it’s saying I should have is hard to come by (not uniques, just some specific base item types) but I’m assuming that since I’m just leveling up in act 2, I can solve this problem by not caring for now.

Which guide? We can tell you if it sucks or not.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

My opinion on Affliction turned quite a bit when I realized the currency isn't saved

I just want my freaking ascendancy points, I spent almost an hour in Desecrated Chambers running through areas looking for Morrigan to no avail :mad:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

A Real Horse posted:

Yeah base types monsters drop is limited by their level, which is gated by your progress in the campaign. Your first playthrough you will probably be vastly overleveled on account of just taking it slow and messing around, which is no worries, but that's why your build guide might have level breakpoints where they recommend switching to a certain armor base type that won't drop yet or a certain skill gem you can't buy from vendors yet.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That reminds me of the most important newbie break points in the game

Act 3 near the end(library): Quest dude gives you a clunky but complete to that point gem vendor. It's clunky because you have to be physically carrying the orbs to buy.

Act 6 at the start(first quest, pirate chick): Full gem vendor that you can place in your hideout and buy directly with currency from your stash.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That Act 3 quest also unlocks a bunch of support gems (which you can buy from Clarissa in town)

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Erulisse posted:

I'd also suggest you people gouge the market of the blink/mirror arrow of bombardment gems for posterity

Btw, Blink/Mirror clones spawn with the same %life as you have at the time of attacking. I don't know how useful that would be for minion instability pops, mind, but a casual glance at all the +minion life/damage you can jam into gear these days, and using Petrified Blood/arrogance to always be at Low Life (I don't know if they inherit your Life Mastery: you count as low life at 55% max health, mind) should let you do something that's at least funny as a gimmick, if nothing else.

I also have like, sub-zero amount of experience with minion builds in general, so I'm sure I got most of that wrong.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Are there any charms that can help with splitting steel champ DPS? I know there's the +1 proj and +1 impale, but they are 20div and 10div respectively. Anything that can help me mulch through these god drat wildwood meatsacks

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I don't know if the npcs are supposed to be rare or if I'm poo poo at finding them but I'm getting legitimately irritated at how rarely I'm finding the charms npc

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Who needs gems when you’re a Maji?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Deki posted:

I don't know if the npcs are supposed to be rare or if I'm poo poo at finding them but I'm getting legitimately irritated at how rarely I'm finding the charms npc

I am almost certain your ascendancy shows up less than the off-class ones and that there might be an additional ranking order (so if you're Yellow you see more Purple>Blue>Yellow). Will be interesting to see real data on this though, I could be way off

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I could believe it but it sure would be pretty stupid if it worked that way.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

if you got your 4th wildwood ascendency point, do you need to do it again if you swap to a new ascendency?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

No, the 3 mini-Ascendancies are levelled up independent of each other.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone run the numbers on the big boi SRS trans gem? Probably needs 3x minion crit multi Grand Spectrum to really leverage the 100% crit but it seems good and makes maintaining max skulls a lot less cumbersome but I'm wondering if it leaves some damage on the table long term.

I just hit 90 on my guardian SRS and have a solid gear set up but feel a bit lacking as I am hitting T15+ is all. Haven't hit a single divine or big ticket drop to buy any premium pieces yet but I am not sure if there are any game changer upgrades to look forward to.

My POB for reference.

https://pobb.in/31KDxdn2xZl0

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

whypick1 posted:

Which guide? We can tell you if it sucks or not.

Can’t link on my phone as the building wifi is garbage at work, but it’s from the PoEBuilds Reddit season starters list. I was hoping that a season starter build would be adequate until I get comfortable.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

No Safe Word posted:

I just want my freaking ascendancy points, I spent almost an hour in Desecrated Chambers running through areas looking for Morrigan to no avail :mad:

i did the exact same thing last night. didnt find it either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The 50 all res from Magi is delightfully op. Three all res Grand Spectums are only 63 all res. And that’s 6 skill points and like idk a lot of missed power from jewels

They usually keep things close and strict to a budget but that one seems off in our “favor”

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They desperately need to use the same event flag system a game like Hades does where as long as you actively play the game to a sensible point it is biased to show you something you haven't seen yet/the next step in the thing you're actively doing at reasonable odds. Even the longest, slowest quest in that game is guaranteed to resolve if you consistently clear Act 3.

"It builds a real sense of wonder to not know what you'll find in the woods." Mmm cool another 10+ dips into the woods without seeing Morrigan. Can't wait until I miss a good vendor charm purchase because the map literally didn't spawn the color of wisps to pick up.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
ok so most of the time i'm fine running around in t3/4 maps, but sometimes i go near something and immediately explode. what do i want my defensive stats to look like, aside from capped resistances? detonate dead elementalist if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

LibrarianCroaker posted:

ok so most of the time i'm fine running around in t3/4 maps, but sometimes i go near something and immediately explode. what do i want my defensive stats to look like, aside from capped resistances? detonate dead elementalist if it matters.

Kinda depends. Like, normally having only 2k life would be bad, but if that's paired with 8k ES and a bunch of phys taken as elemental with insane regen, then that 2k life is probably fine (provided chaos is dealt with).

You can drop your profile name here (make said profile public on the PoE site) and we can look at your character.

Doomykins posted:

"It builds a real sense of wonder to not know what you'll find in the woods." Mmm cool another 10+ dips into the woods without seeing Morrigan. Can't wait until I miss a good vendor charm purchase because the map literally didn't spawn the color of wisps to pick up.

I think it would be really had to not have enough wisps to buy a single item from an NPC between the ring of their corresponding wisps they're always surrounded by plus the trail of them actually leading you to that area.

The wild variance in whether or not you'll actually *see* said NPC is no joke though.