Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

CuddleCryptid posted:

The children yearn for Battlefield Bad Company 2

I yearn for recon balls and the Thompson. The sonar grenade just isn't doing it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the sonar grenade nerf was intense, and it kinda sucks because invisible lights are everywhere in quick cash

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe I'm just used to CoD gluing the ADS on target as much as it physically can, but this doesn't seem that bad to me. Yes it demonstrates that AA has an effect in a wide range around the target, but most of the time the aim was still way off target. It was only really bad when they were right up on the target and it was dragging the crosshair on target off the hip.

The key thing is how it now reacts instantly when the target changes direction. That's what makes RAA so insanely strong in like Cod or Apex. Because in a head up gunfight with each player strafing around, it won't miss shots on every direction change but the human player will.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe I'm just used to CoD gluing the ADS on target as much as it physically can, but this doesn't seem that bad to me. Yes it demonstrates that AA has an effect in a wide range around the target, but most of the time the aim was still way off target. It was only really bad when they were right up on the target and it was dragging the crosshair on target off the hip.

More my question would be how well it works at long range, but also how aggressive the recoil compensation is. A game like this with a fixed recoil pattern for each gun puts a lot into compensation for that pattern, and if the AA turns it into a laser that is an issue.

You can do the same thing with a sentry gun if you want a pick up and go buddy. So long as no one shoots the canister.
in case it's not clear, the video showing RAA is with ZERO right stick input and only using the left stick to push into a wall to get the RAA to activate.

cod looks very similar to this where "the aim was still way off target" if you test in a similar manner. video of many examples of this 3m22s in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frjx63T5FQU&t=200s

in cod, the RAA % seems like 60% when targets sprint, 45% when targets hip-strafe. in apex, it's 60% on console and 40% on PC. in the finals, it seems like 50% at that range.

the problem with RAA of course is when you combine a competent player on PC with low latency settings.

the RAA in the finals at point blank is so strong that it works like COD in that it can literally 180 you, even to your detriment:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thefinals/comments/18f55gf/the_aim_assist_in_this_game_is_crazy/

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the most important gun fight interactions are at close range, and the game has a lot of dedicated systems to close the gap or shut off enemy range. like apex, the finals has a recoil system that completely eliminates recoil in certain common circumstances during close range tracking.

this level of RAA means you will be facing better-than-shroud levels of aim at close range from total randos once people start plugging in controllers to PC. a lot of them don't realize their aim is better than shroud in these situations!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

having a good time playing quick cash matches with randoms, but holy hell there's a lot of drop in/out going on. I had a round where I was thrown in mid-match and then cycled through another four teammates, at one point the only member of my team. I haven't played a squad type game in a long time, is this common? Also I keep running into weird bugs, in one round I respawned with no right stick response, I could only walk back and forth and strafe until someone killed me lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

slicing up eyeballs posted:

having a good time playing quick cash matches with randoms, but holy hell there's a lot of drop in/out going on. I had a round where I was thrown in mid-match and then cycled through another four teammates, at one point the only member of my team. I haven't played a squad type game in a long time, is this common? Also I keep running into weird bugs, in one round I respawned with no right stick response, I could only walk back and forth and strafe until someone killed me lol

I like the ones where you get dropped into a team mid match while they're behind and then end up winning. Skill issue, early leaver.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I have no problem leaving hopeless games in casual play modes in multiplayer shooters but there's no real point here, you are very rarely TRULY out and if you are well it's time to go Chaos Mode and blow stuff up/goop up everything.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Had a string the other day where I got matchmade into a losing team in the last 5 seconds of a round 4 consecutive times and that really sucked.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Disregard guns, embrace hammer. Sure, the shotgun is probably all around more effective at close range, but it just can't beat the joy of pulping lights in one hit :allears:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...4d92f85d556f2f&

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
There are a handful of balance issues I hope they sort out but nothing is too atrocious.

But mother of god do they need party size matchmaking.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

this level of RAA means you will be facing better-than-shroud levels of aim at close range from total randos once people start plugging in controllers to PC. a lot of them don't realize their aim is better than shroud in these situations!
Most likely everyones just gonna use rewasd to get AA on their mkb like every other game that's done this has

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yeah that is the other issue with RAA, but that's usually considered cheating by most people so people usually don't comment on it.

a lot of people will also get a xim or w/e which you can buy at wal-mart and use hardware instead of software to try to avoid detection. these types of devices are so popular they sell hundreds of thousands and run out of stock.

idk if any company has ever banned people for it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

yeah that is the other issue with RAA, but that's usually considered cheating by most people so people usually don't comment on it.

a lot of people will also get a xim or w/e which you can buy at wal-mart and use hardware instead of software to try to avoid detection. these types of devices are so popular they sell hundreds of thousands and run out of stock.

idk if any company has ever banned people for it.

People have been banned for using those in Destiny, Fortnite, cod, and rainbow 6 siege so there’s definitely precedent

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It seems like something like XIM would be very easy to detect when the game is registering controller input and the player is performing what can only be considered mouse inputs, but that would require manual checks which lol

I can't really comprehend why someone would do something so incredibly boring but I guess there's cheaters everywhere. Get that hollow validation, lads, in the dark of the night you know you didn't actually do anything interesting.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

It seems like something like XIM would be very easy to detect when the game is registering controller input and the player is performing what can only be considered mouse inputs, but that would require manual checks which lol

I can't really comprehend why someone would do something so incredibly boring but I guess there's cheaters everywhere. Get that hollow validation, lads, in the dark of the night you know you didn't actually do anything interesting.

Xim and similar devices have a vested interest in their users not getting banned so they apply input smoothing and such to avoid detection, it’s a cat and mouse game like more traditional cheating

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man that AA stuff is pretty disappointing. Crossplay for shooters sucks forever I'm afraid

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i'm convinced a developer that cared about input balance could try different systems and values to give rough parity across different engagement distances across different skill levels. they could also just focus on this level of balance for PC platforms and let console players have their aimbot wars.

but it's much less financially risky to just copy apex/cod, although the system they have in place right now looks superficially stronger than either of those games w/ the extreme snap-on 100% aimbot tracking + high RAA.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there an option somewhere to NOT mute audio when I'm alt-tabbed?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I dropped 20 bux to get my dumb JR Ewing outfit and emote and I couldn’t be happier.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kwolok posted:

But mother of god do they need party size matchmaking.

Apex did this and the results were atrocious and really didn't help. If you were playing premade casuals you did a duo and picked up a random because 3 player matchmaking had such a massive jump in average skill.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The real crime of crossplay was the loss of in game text chat. The rise of every game or dev having their own account system for friends and partying is a close second.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Just a FYI, I was looking at the updated store and there's a Season 1 Starter Pack of a few weapon skins, and it includes ¢1,150 multibucks. Which is exactly how much the bundle costs. I didn't pay attention to the items for sale last week but keep an eye out for future rebates I guess.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there an option somewhere to NOT mute audio when I'm alt-tabbed?

I looked for this too. The main menu music is a bop

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

You ever get those sudden moments where your back hurts

I think I (Howard the Fucc) had a moment where my sack hurt :haw:

But yeah nah I tried Riot Shield again when I saw I had two Lights (Throwing Knives/Sword) and uh huh melee really loves bonking people with low self-preservation

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Had my best round last night with a charge heavy with the hammer, I may be a convert

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Jenny Agutter posted:

Had my best round last night with a charge heavy with the hammer, I may be a convert

Full destruction heavy is my favorite: Hammer, RPG, C4, Charge.

However it really is less about how well you play and more about is the enemy team stupid, because any good players will just range you to death because they can always out sprint your melee. MELEE HEAVY NEEDS A BUFF!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Full destruction heavy is my favorite: Hammer, RPG, C4, Charge.

However it really is less about how well you play and more about is the enemy team stupid, because any good players will just range you to death because they can always out sprint your melee. MELEE HEAVY NEEDS A BUFF!

Oh yeah, the other teams were incredibly stupid, but it still felt great to obliterate a light with one good swing

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I have also seen the power of the hammer. Goodbye flamethrower, bonking is much better.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Really wish there was a server browser or custom game function to make it possible to set up gimmick matches like all hammers, all cloak snipers etc.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
this game is begging for a party playlist with a bunch of dumb unbalanced gimmick gamemodes

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Just give everyone Goo Guns and Goo Grenades for a mode

No lethals, just goo.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I assume there are no private matches? My friends just want to play just us.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fists and fire. Just the whole map lousy with the explodey tanks

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

I assume there are no private matches? My friends just want to play just us.

It’s 2023, you’re not allowed to have more than two friends

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Getting sweaty on the cashbox with the hammer and getting a teamwipe in the last 10 seconds is amazing

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

quote:

We've updated the way backfills work in Quick Cash and Bank It. This should mean that you get backfilled less often and when you do get backfilled, you should have more time remaining in the match, especially in Bank It mode

Maybe just bad luck but I've been backfilled as a solo queuer 4 matches in a row now, something that never happened before this patch

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Jenny Agutter posted:

It’s 2023, you’re not allowed to have more than two friends

Specifically we're having a LAN with even more than 12 people.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Specifically we're having a LAN with even more than 12 people.

Quake 3 and/or unreal tournament 2k4 are for LAN parties, not this modern crap, and I think you can only buy one of those currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a goon discord for this game? I'm having... mixed results with the pubstove.