Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

There's about 80 abstentions (from both sides) so the question will be what Sunak gives the far right and whether that'll put off the more centrist Tories.

But again it'll go to the Lords and they're going to eviscerate it. Sunak is going to spend a lot of January (and possibly February) going through committee, then ping pong with the Lords. It's still unlikely it goes through before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
When's the latest he realistically calls an election?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh it's actually January 2025. I had November 24 in my head for some reason.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ok that's ages, I'll be dead by then.

Is the received wisdom that Tories call elections for the summer still in effect?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So the ball has been kicked into the long grass until after the festivities :toot:

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What's the minimum time he can call an election in?
Might as well inconvenience everyone and have polling day on Dec 27th

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is the received wisdom that Tories call elections for the summer still in effect?

As he's got a big longer than I thought he did in my head, he'll probably wait until this bill is passed and then campaign on it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1734659145368825911

lol :allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hopefully you'll have put the finishing touches on your Maus-L-eum by then

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was until 2019.
Generally, if there's a chance Tory (elderly) voters will be slipping on icy patches and be unable to get to the polling stations, it's unlikely the Tories will call an election.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There was a theory at the time that the 2019 election was timed so that students would likely register at their uni address, but be home over xmas at the actual election.

No idea if this is backed up by after-the fact analysis, but then as 99 pointed out I'm poo poo at excel.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Still blows my mind that we have a bloke called Drax in parliament

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't we still have Baroness Blood somewhere?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Don't we still have Baroness Blood somewhere?

Not since just over a year ago, no.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

Still blows my mind that we have a bloke called Drax in parliament

Even weirder, he's actually the grandson of the Drax who Ian Fleming named the Bond villain after, and their actual aristocratic name is Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Soylent Yellow posted:

Was it the queens pagan title?

Thought she was just a lich

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

grobbo posted:

Even weirder, he's actually the grandson of the Drax who Ian Fleming named the Bond villain after, and their actual aristocratic name is Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax.

And “Blowers” the cricket commentator was the son of whom Blofeld was named after. I actually took him back to Eton a few years back to give a lecture to the pupils.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

grobbo posted:

I seem to remember theyre made of slaves too

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Soylent Yellow posted:

Oh huh and she actually seemed like a pretty good person? Rare in the Lords.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Figures that the nicest peer would be called Lord Bonecrusher-Death-Deth-Satan, or similar.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

christ that's depressing

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Labour: "Austerity, but we'll kill the poor more efficiently"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

fuctifino posted:

Labour: "Austerity, but we'll kill the poor more efficiently"

The "harm reduction" conversations are going to be extra funny this election.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Not as bad as the American discourse though

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 13, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the general election

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Not Just A Number 99% Hitler

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Promising you will be no better or different than the other team is a pretty unique strategy, at least. Normally they would at least SAY they're going to do good things and then we'd have to argue about whether they're telling the truth and whether the differences are big enough if so. Not this time baybee!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

kecske posted:

the general election

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its actually really sensible. Like when someone asks you to guess how many jellybeans are in a jar and your only competition says i dunno 450. You either guess 449 or 451, not some stupid way lower or higher number. You only have to beat them by one

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Not as bad as the American discourse though

The problem here is which is the 1% less bad out of the 'less competent tory racists (who also love some authoritarianism)' and the 'more competent labour authoritarians (who also love some racism)'.

Hell, that'd be the problem with the Hitler case too (as well as the problem of having two Hitlers, who the gently caress is making all these Hitlers?)

Hitler #1 wants to pogrom all the Jews (a requirement) and all of the Roma but is okay with Sorbs. Hitler #2 wants to pogrom all the Jews and all of the Sorbs but is okay with Roma. Do you have to do a census on that? Should Jews really spend time weighing up whether to vote for either?

This is basically just like the whole 'repugnant conclusion' objection to strictly qualitative utilitarian justifications but also is a sociological issue in that someone like Adorno would probably focus more importantly on why there's all these Hitlers running for office.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ms Adequate posted:

Promising you will be no better or different than the other team is a pretty unique strategy, at least. Normally they would at least SAY they're going to do good things and then we'd have to argue about whether they're telling the truth and whether the differences are big enough if so. Not this time baybee!

It's just the business school bit about why the two hardware stores end up next door to each other on the high street.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its actually really sensible. Like when someone asks you to guess how many jellybeans are in a jar and your only competition says i dunno 450. You either guess 449 or 451, not some stupid way lower or higher number. You only have to beat them by one

Thanks, now my eye is twitching uncontrollably.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Banned from the village jellybean count for guessing 'Hitler'

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

The problem here is which is the 1% less bad out of the 'less competent tory racists (who also love some authoritarianism)' and the 'more competent labour authoritarians (who also love some racism)'.

Hell, that'd be the problem with the Hitler case too (as well as the problem of having two Hitlers, who the gently caress is making all these Hitlers?)

Hitler #1 wants to pogrom all the Jews (a requirement) and all of the Roma but is okay with Sorbs. Hitler #2 wants to pogrom all the Jews and all of the Sorbs but is okay with Roma. Do you have to do a census on that? Should Jews really spend time weighing up whether to vote for either?

This is basically just like the whole 'repugnant conclusion' objection to strictly qualitative utilitarian justifications but also is a sociological issue in that someone like Adorno would probably focus more importantly on why there's all these Hitlers running for office.

Liberals can no longer perceive the 3rd or 4th options, or even more unthinkable, the 5th option. They can only vote between two hitlers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Liberals can no longer perceive the 3rd or 4th options, or even more unthinkable, the 5th option. They can only vote between two hitlers.

Hardly fair, plenty of them can perceive the Lib Dems!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I read a Ligotti short story about that.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Multi-Hitler drifting

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

I think I read a Ligotti short story about that.

“If truth is what you seek, then the examined life will only take you on a long ride to the limits of solitude and leave you by the side of the road with your truth and nothing else.”
― Thomas Ligotti , The Conspiracy Against the Human Race

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

just basically this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"UK economy shrinks unexpectedly as households feel squeeze
GDP fell by 0.3% in October as Bank of England prepares to keep interest rates on hold"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/13/uk-economy-shrinks-unexpectedly-as-households-feel-squeeze

There are people who get paid 150k as analysts for this poo poo.
What the gently caress do you mean unexpectedly?