Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah I've recently become something of an "all ice all the time" party. Ice arrows on my duel-wielding hand crossbow Tav, ice bolt on Gale, ice knife on the two druids. It's hilarious watching Big Bads have their legs go out from underneath them.

yeah it's part of my Reverberation idea. Get four stacks of Reverb on something which debuffs its Dex saves and then just make the boss do comic pratfalls on ice each turn until they're dead

ugh I think my save might be broken I get a CTD a few second after loading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I kinda had some of those problems. I didn't struggle once I was inside the portal, but I spent several turns outside not sure what to do, just killing the various enemies. Once I realised that was all just a delaying thing and got someone inside I didn't immediately realise it was best bring in the rest of the party. Once I realised I did need to go to the portal and not just beat all the enemies outside, I made a further dumb assumption that stepping through the portal would be what ended the game and not that there was stuff to actually do inside - so none of the rest of the party were anywhere near it. Once I was through though I thought it was obvious but it was real annoying when it switched back and forth for the turn or two it took to get everyone else over to it

The first time yes, I had that issue, but the next two times once i figured out to get everyone to the second phase ASAP, but I'm limited in that i burned all my movement scrolls in the section before so poor shadowheart had to hoof it because she has no movement spells either in her spellbook or on her. But thats moot because Karlach, Asterion and my Tav all can put out enough damage to take down the final boss. But the flickering also happens because its constantly going back to show what the allies are doing. i've found that just summoning them and letting them deal with the enemies outside works fairly well, so it needs to show a gnome blowing up a mind flayer and then flicker back to my characters, then flickering back to outside to show that same gnome being killed.

Its really annoying and I don't think the game likes it because after the 5th or so flicker, it just stays on a black screen unless its one of the character insides turn.

I think my best path to victory is just try to get everyone inside asap and spread them out so i don't have to worry about the outside.

Heh, it is pretty funny when you take out the emperor and Asterion goes "so much for him!'

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 12, 2023

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Overall, not too bad so far. We'll see how I fare at the Underdark/Creche. I have hit level 5 which in my previous playthroughs basically was the point where the game started to become really easy due to the power spike at that level, so I'm curious whether the Honour mode changes to bosses/abilities will give me a harder time this time around.
It entirely depends if you exploit how to avoid the legendary actions altogether. I found out pretty quickly that knocking prone was a surefire way to completely shut it down which made the fights just a tactician fight.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah I've recently become something of an "all ice all the time" party. Ice arrows on my duel-wielding hand crossbow Tav, ice bolt on Gale, ice knife on the two druids. It's hilarious watching Big Bads have their legs go out from underneath them.

Do you get them wet for 2x damage?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Geekboy posted:

I have played through this fight 8 times I think (not counting replaying it once the new endings came out) and had no idea what you were talking about until I realized you didn’t rush everyone to the portal ASAP.

It was so incredibly clear that you were supposed to get everyone inside that it never occurred to me anyone wouldn’t do that. I think I had one character die to an orb once on my first attempt and then I was like “oh, the orbs are deadly and destroy the ground the characters stand on” and made sure to move anyone in the blast radius on future attempts. I’ve only had it switch back and forth for more than 1 round when I had pets because they can’t go inside.

They play tested it plenty. I’ve never seen anyone else make the same complaints you are.

I had the same issue. It wasn't obvious to me that I had to rush the entire party rather than one person, nor that the orb indicated a platform was about to fall.

Now you have seen someone else make the same complaints.

I'm reminded of a TA when I was in college who would always say "you do not get it? It is so simple!". I'm still frustrated thinking of that guy all these years later.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

also chance to Freeze! which is a hard CC

Reposting since it's relevant: a trick to inflict Wet is to hoard bottles of water, then move one from your inventory on top of an enemy (costs no actions), then shoot it with an offhand hand crossbow (bonus action). Then you can use your full action to cast a cold or lightning damage spell for double damage.

Note that Wet halves fire damage, so combo'ing Wet + Lightning/Cold doesn't play well with Fire damage.

edit: oh actually idk about just cold damage + wet inflicting Frozen. it might be harder than that.

Honestly it feels like Larian thought about a lot of the environmental stuff from D:OS2 but dialed it back a little. There's pieces of it in BG3 but it's not nearly as fleshed out or important.

edit2: yeah I think Frozen is Wet + Chilled (a rare effect) and not Wet + cold damage (much easier to find than Chilled). So freezing enemies is not an easy combo, though you still get double cold damage on Wet targets you just won't freeze them.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 12, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ginette Reno posted:

Have finished the starting area on my honour mode run (Goblins/Hag/etc).

Impressions of updated bosses: Spider's ability was interesting but I killed it before it had a chance to use it. Hag's upgraded ability made that fight trickier but I solved for that by mostly avoiding casting spells at her. The Owlbear fight was pretty nasty. Two Owlbears at low levels (plus they zerk) = tough. I had two die during that fight but finished it. Those were the only three bosses so far that I've seen that had upgraded abilities. Nothing in the goblin camp did.

Overall, not too bad so far. We'll see how I fare at the Underdark/Creche. I have hit level 5 which in my previous playthroughs basically was the point where the game started to become really easy due to the power spike at that level, so I'm curious whether the Honour mode changes to bosses/abilities will give me a harder time this time around.

I think Grym is the most challenging fight in Act 1 for the sheer number of things that can go wrong. If you have a melee-centric party then you need a good solution for his legendary action.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

jaete posted:

Someone posted earlier that Lae'zel's voice actor Devora Wilde has been streaming her BG3 playthrough. It's great because she's basically a normal person and it's nice to see that perspective. It's on Twitch I think but I've been watching it on Youtube since it's there as well

Latest episode: romance with Minthara

Watch it here

Quote: "This is so difficult, just like life" :allears:

Edit: earlier she was doing the big grove fight, got encumbered in the middle, and went to the inventory and sent all the extra weapons and armour to camp. Except that included the armour her character was wearing. So her gith fighter has just been running around in her underwear for a long time now. She picked up a backup weapon somewhere though

It was nice to see her think about giving up and then go "no gently caress that, this game will not win". She might have to learn how to combat though.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think Grym is the most challenging fight in Act 1 for the sheer number of things that can go wrong. If you have a melee-centric party then you need a good solution for his legendary action.

Kiting him away with a ranged attack worked well. He targets whoever damaged him last. Be careful not to opportunity attack him though.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

You can completely trivialize that fight though in two ways.

The first is you can activate the hammer multiple times in a single round. Just shoot the wheel to reflow the lava and then the lever to activate it again. The moment he enters the hammer range, he should be dead immediately.

The other way is to just leave a thrower above who can safely kill him.

Me, I like to bludgeon him to death.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

:aaa:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

Did you name your Tav "The Moistmaker"

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I am a dumbass who is bad at games, so I do make the assumption that if something is obvious to me then it must be pretty obvious.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Interesting. I haven't been spoiling myself on boss abilities because I prefer to be surprised. I usually try to run a relatively balanced group though. My pc is a Warlock, and I tend to almost always bring along Shadowheart (life Cleric) because I hate not having a Cleric available, but the other two slots are flexible. So even in those instances where I bring two melee along with me I still have some spellcasting power.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

The first is you can activate the hammer multiple times in a single round. Just shoot the wheel to reflow the lava and then the lever to activate it again. The moment he enters the hammer range, he should be dead immediately.

what!!

Aww man, I thought you could only do it once. Last time I just tanked him with karlach taking half damage during rage and keeping him in the lava while beating him to death, I actually found it way easier that way than doing the hammer because I didn't realize you could do that!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You do need to position him just right so that the lava can reheat him. Or just use Heat Metal.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only downside of specialty arrows is that I don't think you can combine them with sword bard abilities, and double shots are just too powerful to not use.

Though I should try having hasted Astarion use two Misty Steps and six Arrows of Translocation once, just to see how far I can get him across the Lower City in one turn.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also, you cannot have everyone enter the portal at the same time, as Orpheus automatically goes through as soon as he opens it.

Anyways, knowing which platforms collapsed was probably all i needed to know because i pretty much dunk the netherbrain in 2 turns with mostly just asterion and shadowheart nailing it with melee and flame strike besides[spoiler] Orpheus's mind bullets

Guess i missed a step in fixing Karlach because she had to run off with Wyll to the Hells to avoid cooking. I figure it was due to missing the smith in chapter 1.

Speaking of Wyll, i should have used him more often. His abilities are fun and he in general is a good companion. He's a bit squishy for someone good at melee but can't wear armor.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
You didn't miss any steps with Karlach. Go watch the epilogue and pay attention to what she says there.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Wyll can wear medium armor I’m pretty sure. Why are you letting the Blade of the Frontiers run around in the nude :argh:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Wyll can wear light armor and use a shield because he's a human, but not medium without multiclassing or a feat.

Humans and half-elves are a good bit less squishy as pure arcane casters (wizard, sorceror, warlock) because they get those proficiencies.

edit: if you wanna be slightly powergamey you can respec Wyll as a blade pact warlock + paladin which is a super strong combo and imo fits very well thematically with his character and story arc

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 12, 2023

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Geekboy posted:

I have played through this fight 8 times I think (not counting replaying it once the new endings came out) and had no idea what you were talking about until I realized you didn’t rush everyone to the portal ASAP.

It was so incredibly clear that you were supposed to get everyone inside that it never occurred to me anyone wouldn’t do that. I think I had one character die to an orb once on my first attempt and then I was like “oh, the orbs are deadly and destroy the ground the characters stand on” and made sure to move anyone in the blast radius on future attempts. I’ve only had it switch back and forth for more than 1 round when I had pets because they can’t go inside.

They play tested it plenty. I’ve never seen anyone else make the same complaints you are.

From a couple pages ago, but I think one of the more recent patches broke something with the camera control in this fight, or it's just a bug for some people. My wife did it recently and it was just flipping out constantly, blacking out even if it wasn't changing between in portal and out of portal. I did it a while ago and only brought my player character in and didn't have any of the same issues, so really weird assumption there that geekboy did something inherently wrong and caused the bug.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait do fighter and ranger fighting styles stack? Edit: taking one level in fighter and then rest would be ranger

Someone else already answered you but just to be clear since it's the same as in 5e: You can have multiple Fighting Styles but you can only have one of any Particular Fighting Style. So if you're a Paladin/Fighter you can have both Defense and Dueling, if you're a Fighter/Ranger you can have TWF and Archery, etc etc.

A lot of Fighter multiclassing isn't just for Action Surge but also for picking up that extra Fighting Style which can be a nice little boon if it synergizes with what you were already doing.

Pellisworth posted:

Wyll can wear light armor and use a shield because he's a human, but not medium without multiclassing or a feat.

Humans and half-elves are a good bit less squishy as pure arcane casters (wizard, sorceror, warlock) because they get those proficiencies.

edit: if you wanna be slightly powergamey you can respec Wyll as a blade pact warlock + paladin which is a super strong combo and imo fits very well thematically with his character and story arc

You don't even need to respec for this, just have him start taking Paladin levels after 5. Paladin multi gets you medium armor. If you want him in Heavy you'll have to respec, though.

Swords Bard also lets you put him in medium armor, but I'm pretty sure you don't get Medium Armor from bard natively so you'd have to wait until Level 8 for Medium Armor at that point.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Hell froze over :imunfunny:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
oh for some reason I thought Wyll came with Pact of the Chain by default but maybe that was only in EA. If you want to lean into the Blade of Frontiers bit you can go Pact of the Blade which lets you use Charisma as your weapon attack stat and also gets you an extra attack that stacks (bugged, but left in except in Honour mode) with the extra attack from martial classes.

Basically there are a lot of cool/strong combos around using charisma and bard-paladin-warlock levels. 7 levels of Paladin (Oathbreaker) gives you a saving throw aura based on your charisma but also a damage bonus so a warlock+paladin can double-dip charisma for damage.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah Wyll can choose any one of Pact of Blade/Tome/Chain, Blade is definitely the most "Blade of Frontiers"-y. He is however iirc hardlocked to Fiend Patron because like, duh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ChronoReverse posted:

You didn't miss any steps with Karlach. Go watch the epilogue and pay attention to what she says there.

Oh! I figured that was the other option if you didn't fix her engine, that I should of fixed it before that and she didn't get hot in the bad way at the end. but clearly that's the good ending with her.

Good.

Black Noise posted:

Wyll can wear medium armor I’m pretty sure. Why are you letting the Blade of the Frontiers run around in the nude :argh:

I figured he was a caster and could only wear clothing or lose his spell casting ability. Good to know for further adventures.

The end of the game literally be

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jaete posted:

Someone posted earlier that Lae'zel's voice actor Devora Wilde has been streaming her BG3 playthrough. It's great because she's basically a normal person and it's nice to see that perspective. It's on Twitch I think but I've been watching it on Youtube since it's there as well

Latest episode: romance with Minthara

Watch it here

Quote: "This is so difficult, just like life" :allears:

Edit: earlier she was doing the big grove fight, got encumbered in the middle, and went to the inventory and sent all the extra weapons and armour to camp. Except that included the armour her character was wearing. So her gith fighter has just been running around in her underwear for a long time now. She picked up a backup weapon somewhere though

Her leveling up astarion was hilarious 'ok, charger, looks good, point of wisdom, sure don't care, spell, dancing lights, whatever'. Then she carefully turned off all the torches in camp so her companions could get some sleep. I love her stream.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Saraiguma posted:

out if curiosity if I kill both (act 2 durge spoilers) isobel and the fairy am I in for a rough time?

You can get a second moonlantern inside of Moonrise Towers, so you'll just have to hold out until you get there.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Got nothing to add other than to say that storm sorcerer is truly hilarious. I'm in the middle of my first tactician playthrough at the moment and I've spent the entire run so far flip-flopping between wizard and sorcerer trying to find a caster build I like. Finally got around to trying out storm sorcerer while in the middle of act 2 and I think I finally found the aoe glass cannon of my dreams.

Just did the fight where you have to defend the portal while Halsin rescues Thaniel and holy lol, with create surface and haste you just absolutely annihilate stuff. So much lightning.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Got nothing to add other than to say that storm sorcerer is truly hilarious. I'm in the middle of my first tactician playthrough at the moment and I've spent the entire run so far flip-flopping between wizard and sorcerer trying to find a caster build I like. Finally got around to trying out storm sorcerer while in the middle of act 2 and I think I finally found the aoe glass cannon of my dreams.

Just did the fight where you have to defend the portal while Halsin rescues Thaniel and holy lol, with create surface and haste you just absolutely annihilate stuff. So much lightning.

That fight is quite fun to flex every aoe spell you have. Last time I did it I made great use of Wall of Flame there.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait do fighter and ranger fighting styles stack? Edit: taking one level in fighter and then rest would be ranger

may as well go 2 fighter for that sweet, sweet action surge. Although I don't know how good those level 11 ranger abilities are to be honest.

Ginette Reno posted:

Have finished the starting area on my honour mode run (Goblins/Hag/etc).

Impressions of updated bosses: Spider's ability was interesting but I killed it before it had a chance to use it. Hag's upgraded ability made that fight trickier but I solved for that by mostly avoiding casting spells at her. The Owlbear fight was pretty nasty. Two Owlbears at low levels (plus they zerk) = tough. I had two die during that fight but finished it. Those were the only three bosses so far that I've seen that had upgraded abilities. Nothing in the goblin camp did.

I'm up to act 3 on my honour mode now. Rocking Durge throw-barbarian, Laezel Fighter , Shadowheart as Gloomstalker (which honestly feels very thematic and synergises well with all the Dark Justiciar items), and Astarion as a Lore Bard. Probably not an optimal party but has been going pretty well.

A few fights have been pretty hairy. Messed up stealing the Druid's idol and had to pop an invisibility potion and have someone retreat to camp. Didn't realise I'd just get thrown in jail when they downed everyone else though. Had to do the same at the top of the Arcane tower when I didn't fully understand what was going on with the legendary action. That one had to have withers rezzing 3 of my party members.
Top of Moonrise tower was brutal, it bugged out and everyone was perma-frightened and I didn't realise. Thought it was an aura from the drider or something. Thankfully managed to scrape out a win and only realised it was bugged when they were all still stuck after combat ended. Reload fixed it, was close to a run ender though. Act 2 boss wasn't too bad but I did manage to skip phase one through dialogue.

One of the roughest though was those drat Gith on the road to Baldurs gate. They absolutely shredded me with multiple Arrows of Many Targets. I waltzed in there thinking it would be a breeze and nearly lost the whole run.

Overall I'm really enjoying Honour mode. I'm a terminal save-scummer so it's actually been really fun being forced to live with my rolls. You get so much inspiration that it can be easy to brute-force a lot of checks anyway. I'm pretty terrified of a lot of these act 3 fights though. I've only done them all once, then adding the legendary actions on top it's probably gonna be rough.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Black Noise posted:

And let all the dong dangle physics work go to waste???

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is there really no way to switch from the pike of returning to your regular weapon without wasting your main action? It seems extremely stupid that you can pull out and throw anything 3 times per round while holding a two hander but swapping weapons? That's a paddlin'

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sindai posted:

Is there really no way to switch from the pike of returning to your regular weapon without wasting your main action? It seems extremely stupid that you can pull out and throw anything 3 times per round while holding a two hander but swapping weapons? That's a paddlin'

Yes, this is the entire point of having returning weapons. If you want to be able to throw stuff in a pinch keep some daggers or spears around.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

grack posted:

Yes, this is the entire point of having returning weapons. If you want to be able to throw stuff in a pinch keep some daggers or spears around.

I always end up hoarding +1 spears for this reason. I was also supremely disappointed to find out that the greatclub I got from disarming a minotaur did not do full weapon damage on an enraged throw

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

The Lord Bude posted:

shadowheart can do command:drop, no need to start as a certain class

It's single save mode, you want basically the ability to do everything on 2 different characters.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ashcans posted:

There are a ton of this sort of things tucked away around the world you can find. The ones I remember are One of the guards in the Foundry has a letter from his parents being excited about his job, and there is a murdered Flaming Fist in the Temple of Bhaal area who has a love letter written to Quil, the bard that the Durge murders if Alifra is unavailable

For the first guy, there's a whole multipart backstory

there's a couple in the Elfsong talking about how their son finally got a good job with the Watch. They get in a fight because the mom is in love with their son's friend/boss that got him the job. Said friend was one of the rear end in a top hat bosses in the foundry with one of the self destruct rings, so gently caress her. But I felt bad and made sure to non-lethal the kid. Maybe he's smart enough to get out before the realises what he joined.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Wait, I'm doing the Creche on Honour Mode attempt 2... does the warfare trainer kick one of the students to death?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Still blown away by all the people fighting the owlbear.

Just leave, she'll get killed by goblins a bit later and you get all her stuff anyway.