Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Starfield has a lot of the same problems other bethesda games have but the game design exacerbates them. And then just a feels thing; an npc on the other side of the capital wasteland could, conceptually, exit their city and walk to where I am or we bump into each other somewhere. That doesn't actually happen by design and if it did it'd be functionally the same abstracted movement until they got near you in any of the games, but the illusion is gone

Also the combat is really unfun especially compared to sword and sorcery or post-apocalyptic shooting. Like 5% better gunplay but 50% less interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Quick Cash is a ton of fun with a premade of 3, but I've really been enjoying Bank It when I'm solo queuing. it's common to have a braindead teammate (or a bot, which are strangely common given the large number of concurrent players) but you can really do work in Bank It on an individual level

ive been getting some really fun and close games with randos in quick cash, tho i do have to carry most the time. not a fan of bank it cause its more of a tdm mode and if i wanted to play those, theres a million other games i could play

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Fallout's setting was at least at some point novel, retro futuristic raygun americana. nothing about Starfield stands out at all.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Al! posted:

hell im still playing fallout 4 (in vr but still)

Does it have motion controls or just controller?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Starfield sounds really dumb. Sold millions of copies though. I imagine the same people who bought it and hated it will preorder the sequel.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

bedpan posted:

Starfield sounds really dumb. Sold millions of copies though. I imagine the same people who bought it and hated it will preorder the sequel.

i think most of the people who actually played it and didn't like it probably got it on GamePass

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

that friend of a goon who bought starfield just so he could hate play it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

uber_stoat posted:

Fallout's setting was at least at some point novel, retro futuristic raygun americana. nothing about Starfield stands out at all.

i actually like the nasa concept art aesthetic but it has absolutely no bearing on how they wrote or designed the game unfortunately

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Get this up to 500 hours before end of year.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Communist Thoughts posted:

I do think the gameplay is better in 1 cause it's much more of the focus, plus it has Barry

But Wake 2 has great vibes as has been said

I did get some friends round who are huge AW1 fans and they didn't really like 2 and even bounced off the musical section

If youre into it for the AW1 continuation rather than the remedy extended universe I can see why it might not work for you

Yeah I like both but I think there is a lot of fun missing from 2, mainly in gameplay. Remedy is good with the sense of humor in there story, but the sense of humor felt absent from the gameplay. You don't get that fun 80's horror comedy vibe where regular people are creating makeshift, somewhat funny ways, to defeat the supernatural stuff (like Barry covering himself in Christmas lights). Plus the ridiculous slow-mo that triggers with dodges and flares in AW1 is very satisfying.

All Remedy games have aggravating oversights and flaws that make me want to shout at my screen side by side with great stuff. They make the absolute best 7/10 games you can play, besides for Max Payne 1, thats an 8/10 but thats probably just because its less ambitious.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

didn't they do this once already

thrice, at least, since the banning of the booth babes

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fighting Elegy posted:

Yeah I like both but I think there is a lot of fun missing from 2, mainly in gameplay. Remedy is good with the sense of humor in there story, but the sense of humor felt absent from the gameplay. You don't get that fun 80's horror comedy vibe where regular people are creating makeshift, somewhat funny ways, to defeat the supernatural stuff (like Barry covering himself in Christmas lights). Plus the ridiculous slow-mo that triggers with dodges and flares in AW1 is very satisfying.

All Remedy games have aggravating oversights and flaws that make me want to shout at my screen side by side with great stuff. They make the absolute best 7/10 games you can play, besides for Max Payne 1, thats an 8/10 but thats probably just because its less ambitious.

it's really weird that their gameplay peaked at MP2 and since then just kind of drifted into makework mediocrity

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

"See these rich fucks? They're essential npcs you can't harm them."

I think it was around that point I uninstalled. That the game didn't let the fourth option of "shoot these CEO fuckers" just screamed of poo poo.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

also sons of bitches killed free radical today, again. RIP timesplitters

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fuligin posted:

it's really weird that their gameplay peaked at MP2 and since then just kind of drifted into makework mediocrity

This is entirely subjective but I loved the freedom of Control's combat. Gonna fly into the sky and throw a forklift. Willy some guns felt weak, others had good oomph to them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Great Chargeback has probably already happened with Starfield, but they'll never make that public.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

TontoCorazon posted:

This is entirely subjective but I loved the freedom of Control's combat. Gonna fly into the sky and throw a forklift. Willy some guns felt weak, others had good oomph to them.

yeah i know some people are really into it. it ended up feeling very samey to me but i also never finished

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
never got very far in Control but i was annoyed at all the respawning security guards

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

in a year where all the scummy corpo-cash grab games failed and the most beloved were painstakingly crafted single player experiences... what will the corporations take away as their message?

you took 8 years to make loading screens happen for entering a room with an area of a square feet

then you learned BG3 almost has no reskinned NPCs even for trash mobs

of course the first thing you do as a Very Poor Western AAA game dev is to tweet about why you shouldn't be judged by the same standard

Palladium has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Dec 12, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

RealityWarCriminal posted:

didn't they do this once already

twice iirc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fallout 4 is good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i realized i never played gta 4 aftert hearing folks talk about it in another thread

the characters in this game are great, idk why they made the car handling so bad though

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Al! posted:

hell im still playing fallout 4 (in vr but still)

what mod list are you using?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

what mod list are you using?

none atm, the wabbajack one doesnt seem to work, do you recommend any?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i realized i never played gta 4 aftert hearing folks talk about it in another thread

the characters in this game are great, idk why they made the car handling so bad though

that was always the complaint. they claimed they made the car handling more realistic but every car is balanced like it was crazy taxi

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Controls combat is pretty good and then at the end you get the option to launch up to 3 items and it becomes great. A lot of games put in rpg elements where the gameplay peaks far too late into the experience. Instead, allow you to max out about halfway through.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
The big issue with Control is that Jesse is just sorta lame. Remedy games work hard at building a connection and empathy between the player and character and it's a waste of effort when your character is lame. Alan Wake is a narcissist and hack, Max Payne is in a freefall, knowing that he's trapped in a noir cliche and now has to see the story through. Jesse is just lame, I feel like I can't even describe her beyond that.

If you connected with the character of Jesse then thats cool, but for me it didn't work, which is a shame because the actress is pretty good.

The combat was good enough for a 12 hour game, not a 20 hour one imo. That's actually a problem with a lot of their games, and even Max Payne 1 goes on a little too long. I was forcing myself to play Control just so I could say I played every Remedy game so my feelings gameplay-wise might be tampered by that.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the finals is great but they do need to fix gas mines, they basically buy an extra 20 seconds for anyone squatting on a deposit

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
jesse is fun. I liked how into it she is instead of the usual woe is me protagonists. but there really needs to be a dog neil prequel

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

brucie and his whole arc were my favs. ballad of gay tony was also pretty good!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I like that they managed to ride the line between a sorta stern, no nonsense Dana Scully skeptic and the Forspoken "I guess the hiss happened" marvel writing for Jesse

she's put into a loving weird magical situation but she's kinda loving weird and magical herself so she rolls with it
it's fun and you get to jump right into this established weird world without a fish out of water story eating up 10 hours of the plot

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I would be more into Starfield as slop if the maps were any good. But they're not and they're a huge step back from the previous games. "See that mountain? You can go climb it" is dead and they exchanged it for having a poo poo load of similar but different maps that are totally empty.

The pirate attack in the tutorial is one of them. It is only there to serve a laundry list of stuff to teach the player without considering that the whole thing is mindblowingly stupid from a narrative common sense PoV

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Fighting Elegy posted:

The big issue with Control is that Jesse is just sorta lame. Remedy games work hard at building a connection and empathy between the player and character and it's a waste of effort when your character is lame. Alan Wake is a narcissist and hack, Max Payne is in a freefall, knowing that he's trapped in a noir cliche and now has to see the story through. Jesse is just lame, I feel like I can't even describe her beyond that.

If you connected with the character of Jesse then thats cool, but for me it didn't work, which is a shame because the actress is pretty good.

I thought she was cool. Skill issue imo

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

doctor darling :swoon:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Sharps posted:

doctor darling :swoon:

Darling is a legitimate mad man who would murder you for science
He is to be avoided

now the fine folks at Luck and Probability, that's a department I'd want to get to know
give me a puzzle game about them

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jesse is great, she's an insecure basket case who flips back and forth between thinking they've totally lost it and finding the courage to take it until they make it for a few more minutes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

She starts the game with a fractal ghost in her head that gives her advice

a shapeshifting office building is nothing

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I like that they managed to ride the line between a sorta stern, no nonsense Dana Scully skeptic and the Forspoken "I guess the hiss happened" marvel writing for Jesse

she's put into a loving weird magical situation but she's kinda loving weird and magical herself so she rolls with it
it's fun and you get to jump right into this established weird world without a fish out of water story eating up 10 hours of the plot

Yeah that aspect worked for me. I like that she more or less gets on with it instead of demanding a bunch of explanation and exposition on behalf of me, the player who cannot believe that something weird or interesting might happen in a work of fiction

Could've used a little more of a hook though for sure. Max and Alan have pretty distinct characteristics on their own and then stuff happens to them, but I felt like Jesse was just kind of the person this stuff was happening to/near/with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

jesse is dumb as hell, just like me