Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

we had a pretty good 10 day trip overall. the weather was Hot, then chilly, then hot. The weather overall was great, but it was super nice to not be sweaty all day, and wear hoodies in the park. it didn't rain til literally our last night in the resort.

Jollywood was a pass for me next year unless they do a lot of improvements. They need more food/attractions, literally everything had a massive line. The ride lines were not that short either. The Muppets show was great.

Dapper Days kind of ruined one of our days in the parks, they were literally everywhere just...inhabiting stuff. Like there were places that were basically off limits, like Tune In Lounge and Bassline, two of our favorite places, because they just took up all the space. DAK wasn't as bad but we got in early at Nomad Lounge to try and avoid them.

Tron is kind of whatever. Not really worth a wait, but its a cool ride. Basically how I feel about Avatar at this point.

Merch was very focused on toys this year. There wasn't much clothing or jewelry for me to get my wife for Xmas. She didn't want any of the Dooney bags this year.

The changes to Harambe in DAK to include breakfast were really really good. And getting breakfast at Ronto Roasters and finding a quiet seat in Galaxy's Edge worked out really well for us too.

Overall, we had a really great trip. We did all the rides we like and got to eat at the places we like. Jollywood has potential and MVMCP was awesome as usual. Pop Century remains the best place to stay.

Oh and I was also picked to be in the Hoop Dee Doo Revue lol

edit: also wear your masks folks, literally every person there was death coughing

edit2: also the new fireworks show at Epcot is 1 million times better than the old one

I hope you do not get the death cough, dear friend.

Jollywood is getting panned pretty hard everywhere so I imagine it's either getting extremely revamped or not coming back in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Jollywood is like 2 ride overlays, a meet & greet Ollie, some more decorations, and a retooling of Tip Top club so it's somewhere you can actually get a drink at from being pretty good. That doesn't sound like a lot. I guess the question is what rides would they do overlays on. RnR and Star Tours? There's still not enough rides in Studios. If they added Life Day in Galaxy's Edge the event would sell out on the first day.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

alg posted:

Tron is kind of whatever. Not really worth a wait, but it’s a cool ride.

Yeah I agree, it’s a great time but still just entirely too short to be worth the long wai—

alg posted:

Basically how I feel about Avatar at this point

:dafuq:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dren posted:

If they added Life Day in Galaxy's Edge the event would sell out on the first day.
Put a holographic Bea Arthur in the cantina and I am there.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

i keep thinking disney land has wdws rear end when it comes to cool foods but then i remember we got epcot

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hazo posted:

Yeah I agree, it’s a great time but still just entirely too short to be worth the long wai—

:dafuq:

Rise of the Resistance and Guardians came out and Avatar is just not that impressive to me anymore. Doesn't help that the source material sucks.

I forgot the worst part of Jollywood: they closed the Skyliner early so we had to ride the bus back???

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

Jollywood is like 2 ride overlays, a meet & greet Ollie, some more decorations, and a retooling of Tip Top club so it's somewhere you can actually get a drink at from being pretty good. That doesn't sound like a lot. I guess the question is what rides would they do overlays on. RnR and Star Tours? There's still not enough rides in Studios. If they added Life Day in Galaxy's Edge the event would sell out on the first day.

-A new muppet show for the holidays that plays only during the event; like my god it could just be a muppet christmas carol sing-along and people would go.
-RnR but it's like, mannheim steamroller or TSO
-beauty and the beast christmas movie stage show
-a special holiday-themed fantasmic
-toy story land: christmas chaos- totally deck out the land like it's all hands at the ready for andy getting new toys. make new games for midway mania, do fake snow flurries (if safe) for rear end, change some of the recordings on slinky dog, come up with a little recruiting station for the army dudes to recruit people to find hints hidden throughout the land to help the toys prep for new incoming occupants of andy's room or whatever
-tower of terror could be turned into a santa clause thing, I guess, like a chimney dip? I don't know. tower of terror is already crazy popular.

star wars launch bay plays the star wars xmas special non-stop.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

alg posted:

Rise of the Resistance and Guardians came out and Avatar is just not that impressive to me anymore. Doesn't help that the source material sucks.

Well I mean of course Avatar sucks, and RoR and Guardians are fantastic, but the best thing that came out of it was that ride (and I guess there’s some new vr game that’s a FarCry clone).

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

-A new muppet show for the holidays that plays only during the event; like my god it could just be a muppet christmas carol sing-along and people would go.

Me and my two hundred new best friends all screaming "WE'RE MARLEY AND MARLEY, WHOOOOAAAAAA!" at the top of our lungs

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cockblocktopus posted:

Me and my two hundred new best friends all screaming "WE'RE MARLEY AND MARLEY, WHOOOOAAAAAA!" at the top of our lungs

literally this. have some new merch set up outside. nothing big. a couple shirts, maybe a kermit or ms piggy set of minnie ears. a pin of marley and marley, a pin of gonzo and rizzo, and maybe one of bob and tiny tim or something. it'd sell out so stupidly fast, especially if it was event exclusive.

CHANGE

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
are we trading nightmare sing-a-long for muppets sing-a-long or is this an addon

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

are we trading nightmare sing-a-long for muppets sing-a-long or is this an addon

I would delete nightmare from being involved from dhs holiday party 100%, it feels weird there. it fits magic kingdom better and it's all over both holiday parts there already

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Id kill for a muppets flight of the avatar day

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Currently at Tokyo Disneyland. As a WDW passholder for years and having done the California parks last year, my god. Tokyo bliws them both away so handily. Food especially but rides, merch, upkeep/cleanliness, cast members, decor…I will say the crowds are worse than any other. I’m here on a random Wednesday, no holidays, and it’s like an 8/9 out of 10 on Mainstreet. The rest of the park is honestly like a 6.

Edit: Beauty & The Beast rules, but we liked Pooh’s Honey Hunt more.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 13, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Tokyo DL is like what California DL used to be before the park ran every day of the year, stepped up the aggressive expansion of outdoor vending, and caved to people who want to push strollers around the park.

Aside from the size of the castle and the walkways, it was built to mimic DL of the late 70s. Seemingly by people who have not seen DL ever since.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I did not know there was ever a time when Disneyland wasn’t open every day of the week. Huh.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays but only during the off season.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I was looking at the proof of florida residence FAQ and is it just me or is this...pretty easy to game if you have family or trusted friends who live there? They accept a statement from a financial institution, so I can just open a free checking account with my family member's address and use that bank statement. And they explicitly say that print outs or digital copies are fine, so I don't even need to swing by their house to pick up my mail lol.

I have to jump through the additional hoop of stopping by guest services but the cost of a 4 day weekday ticket for residents is $235, compared to $600 for out of staters...seems worth it, to say the least.

I'm not missing some reason this is particularly unethical, right? It's just Disney I'm scamming, and it isn't like they only sell so many florida resident tickets a day.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

I was looking at the proof of florida residence FAQ and is it just me or is this...pretty easy to game if you have family or trusted friends who live there? They accept a statement from a financial institution, so I can just open a free checking account with my family member's address and use that bank statement. And they explicitly say that print outs or digital copies are fine, so I don't even need to swing by their house to pick up my mail lol.

I have to jump through the additional hoop of stopping by guest services but the cost of a 4 day weekday ticket for residents is $235, compared to $600 for out of staters...seems worth it, to say the least.

I'm not missing some reason this is particularly unethical, right? It's just Disney I'm scamming, and it isn't like they only sell so many florida resident tickets a day.

loving a major corporation is never unethical but if you have friends or family members, why not just have them get the tickets and check you in?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boxman posted:

I was looking at the proof of florida residence FAQ and is it just me or is this...pretty easy to game if you have family or trusted friends who live there?

Yes.

quote:

They accept a statement from a financial institution, so I can just open a free checking account with my family member's address and use that bank statement. And they explicitly say that print outs or digital copies are fine, so I don't even need to swing by their house to pick up my mail lol.

Yep.

They accept seasonal residents explicitly so you don't have to make it as if it's your full time home either.

They may try to mildly quiz you, just make sure you know the whole address off the top of your head like you would your own actual address. More zealous CMs might ask some sneaky prodding questions under the guise of being friendly and conversational.

quote:

If you're already looking at weekday passes, consider a Pixie Dust pass. It's $439 and at WDW even the cheapest one comes with the merch discounts, hopper and free parking. It might add up to a savings just from those. With an AP you also don't ever have to do it again, since if you renew you don't need to reverify. If you just do it for tickets you'll have to do the verification each time you buy a new ticket.

It's only Disney the company "losing" out and they have enough money. The person who helped me setup mine is a Disney CM, although in an office (well, remote working to an office) and not on the ground. I did use a cousin's address and not hers just in case though.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

loving a major corporation is never unethical but if you have friends or family members, why not just have them get the tickets and check you in?

The Florida tickets don't work that way. Each user (except children) has to be verified, not just the buyer.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 13, 2023

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Dren posted:

I would pay unethical amounts of money for a Muppets Christmas Party in Grand Avenue where I could just drink spiked egg nog and scream HERE COMES MR HUMBUG HERE COMES MR SCROOGE over and over for 5 hours

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Aphrodite posted:

If you're already looking at weekday passes, consider a Pixie Dust pass. It's $439 and at WDW even the cheapest one comes with the merch discounts, hopper and free parking. It might add up to a savings just from those.
To save the trouble of doing math, from a purely financial standpoint getting a Pixie Dust pass vs. getting FL resident tickets will save you money if you go to the parks 3 days per year. I suppose you might get it down to a two day break-even if you buy hundreds of dollars of merchandise (the pass gives you 20% off merch).

Also a small detail, when you renew an annual pass you get a 15% (maybe 10%?) discount.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have a co-worker who bought a house in FL and said I could use his address for that poo poo. What's an easy bank down there to setup an account with?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What do you mean by easy?

There are Wells Fargo banks all over the place in Florida.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What do you mean by easy?

There are Wells Fargo banks all over the place in Florida.

I haven't opened a new bank account in like 15 years. Just a bank I can easily open an account online. Wells Fargo would probably work.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

They live in Florida but far enough from Orlando that they wouldn't want to drive in, haha.

Aphrodite posted:

The Florida tickets don't work that way. Each user (except children) has to be verified, not just the buyer.

it's funny because my spouse has a different last name than me (also she will probably be reading this post! hi honey!) So I'm thinking we should also have our marriage license on hand to prove we're actually married.

What does verification look like, anyway? The post on the site sort of made me think it was a one off thing, when you convert your purchase to your admission media (or link it to your magic band, whichever). But do you have to go to guest relations every morning to re-verify? That's worth saving hundreds of dollars per person, but it is a bit more of a pain.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have a co-worker who bought a house in FL and said I could use his address for that poo poo. What's an easy bank down there to setup an account with?

Check your current bank. Mine - Bank of America - lets you set account-by-account address affiliations. I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure I can just open a free account with them, toss some seed money in to get waived fees, then change the address on just that account. Saves you the trouble of opening a relationship with another financial institution.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've got a few DVC points that are going to expire. I went ahead and booked a studio room at Animal Kingdom Jambo House Check-In: Jan 17, 2024 Check-Out: Jan 18, 2024

Does any local want it? No charge, just rather not see the points wasted. PM me and I'll transfer the booking to your name.

edit: room transferred!

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 14, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You go to guest services and show them the documents so they can activate the tickets. The tickets won't work to enter the park until you're verified.

You only have to verify once for multi-day tickets, but unless it's changed recently you have to verify for every future Florida ticket you may buy. They don't just flag your account or anything.

On the other hand, for an annual pass it's one shot. Once they verify and process the purchase you're in and you can renew it without needing to do that again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Boxman posted:

Check your current bank. Mine - Bank of America - lets you set account-by-account address affiliations. I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure I can just open a free account with them, toss some seed money in to get waived fees, then change the address on just that account. Saves you the trouble of opening a relationship with another financial institution.

I'll have to try that.

Aphrodite posted:

You go to guest services and show them the documents so they can activate the tickets. The tickets won't work to enter the park until you're verified.

You only have to verify once for multi-day tickets, but unless it's changed recently you have to verify for every future Florida ticket you may buy. They don't just flag your account or anything.

On the other hand, for an annual pass it's one shot. Once they verify and process the purchase you're in and you can renew it without needing to do that again.

Gotcha. So for this scenario, you have to do the verification in person at guest services? I went through the checkout process online to see how it works, and they do have an electronic verification, which I'm guessing won't work.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When I did it I just changed the address on my bank account to my Dads address in Florida, had the tickets sent there, then changed the address back :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Gotcha. So for this scenario, you have to do the verification in person at guest services? I went through the checkout process online to see how it works, and they do have an electronic verification, which I'm guessing won't work.

The online version only works with a few specific types of ID that you'd only have if you actually lived in Florida, like a driver's license or state ID.

RCarr posted:

When I did it I just changed the address on my bank account to my Dads address in Florida, had the tickets sent there, then changed the address back :shrug:

That would be easiest if you can, but that's not always an option depending on the bank. Some have a cooldown on address changes, or don't have address as a user editable thing etc.

In my case my bank account is the US branch of my Canadian bank that exists to specifically cater to snowbirds, so they even have a seasonal address option where you set your address to be changed temporarily during a certain date range you select.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Nanigans posted:

Currently at Tokyo Disneyland. As a WDW passholder for years and having done the California parks last year, my god. Tokyo bliws them both away so handily. Food especially but rides, merch, upkeep/cleanliness, cast members, decor…I will say the crowds are worse than any other. I’m here on a random Wednesday, no holidays, and it’s like an 8/9 out of 10 on Mainstreet. The rest of the park is honestly like a 6.

Edit: Beauty & The Beast rules, but we liked Pooh’s Honey Hunt more.

Tokyo Disneyland merch is the best, and I highly recommend buying a ton of stuff because they don't sell it anywhere else. I bought an awesome Ursula headband ages ago and get tons of compliments on her even to this day, and we passed on a Jafar headpiece that was too small for us at the time but I wish I had purchased so my kids could wear it now. I am currently using a backpack I bought there last year as my purse, and people ask about our Mickey sunglasses and Haunted Mansion light-up necklaces all the time. I use a Beast-in-the-bath soap dish in my home bathroom. Go nuts buying awesome stuff, I wish we had bought more!

But yeah, the crowds are the worst. We didn't ride the Beauty & the Beast ride last year because it never dipped below 200 minutes and the pass always sold out, we visited in late October 2022.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

This post is specifically for Cincinnati-area (or former Cincinnati-area) goons. After 137 years in business, Coney Island is permanently shutting down at the end of this year. It's always been the lesser park compared to Kings Island (especially after they shut the rides down a few years ago), but it was still a great place to take the kids swimming - and they have an outstanding holiday light display that I'll miss.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-new...-take-its-place

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

This post is specifically for Cincinnati-area (or former Cincinnati-area) goons. After 137 years in business, Coney Island is permanently shutting down at the end of this year. It's always been the lesser park compared to Kings Island (especially after they shut the rides down a few years ago), but it was still a great place to take the kids swimming - and they have an outstanding holiday light display that I'll miss.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-new...-take-its-place

username/post combo

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

That place is so loving tacky, but it's such a specific nouveau riche fash-friendly snowbird brand of tacky that the tiny little Disney touches stand out even more and the whole thing rises to unbearable kitch.

love to look at my 1:4 Sven replica out in the hallway while sitting in my weird office decorated with MAGA and Steelers gear

If I'm paying $13.8 million I want a full-size Sven

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Roadie posted:

If I'm paying $13.8 million I want a full-size Sven

if I'm paying 13.8 million, I'm having a reindeer farm.

and selling their meat. rudolph roasts will be the new christmas dinner.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The closure of Coney Island and the Pool makes me sad. Such a massive pool and actually a pretty reasonable price for admission or annual passes.

I guess we need a bigger and more massive music venue instead of nice outdoor places

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yes.

Yep.

They accept seasonal residents explicitly so you don't have to make it as if it's your full time home either.

They may try to mildly quiz you, just make sure you know the whole address off the top of your head like you would your own actual address. More zealous CMs might ask some sneaky prodding questions under the guise of being friendly and conversational.

If you're already looking at weekday passes, consider a Pixie Dust pass. It's $439 and at WDW even the cheapest one comes with the merch discounts, hopper and free parking. It might add up to a savings just from those. With an AP you also don't ever have to do it again, since if you renew you don't need to reverify. If you just do it for tickets you'll have to do the verification each time you buy a new ticket.

It's only Disney the company "losing" out and they have enough money. The person who helped me setup mine is a Disney CM, although in an office (well, remote working to an office) and not on the ground. I did use a cousin's address and not hers just in case though.

This is very intriguing to me since I have a good deal of family in the area and could do this. Is Universal a similar situation or is harder for them? With Epic opening, those premier APs are gonna probably go up at least 30 percent in price and I really don't want to shell out like, $1200 if I don't have to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Universal is supposedly stricter and only takes things you’d have to actually live in Florida to have, like a license or voter registration card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hurrah. After getting my previous attempt to go to Disney world canceled by Corona we finally have another good window of opportunity to go. So come end of April I’ll be visiting Disney world for 3 days for the first time followed by a roadtrip through Florida.
We already went to Paris a few times (Eurogoon here) and Anaheim once. So we’re stoked.
We’ll be staying at the art of animation resort.

After the 3 days in DW if we can still move our feet we have another day in Orlando before we head to the next city.

We’re thinking we might visit Universal for a day.
Any other suggestions for the Orlando area?

And Do we have a thread where I can ask for other recommendations to do on the trip? I couldn’t find one for Florida specific.