Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The goon goo goon cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The bumper sticker says, "Caution This vehicle makes frequent stops at your mom's house".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Is that a Nazi eagle on the license plate of dildo car?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

It's a US Marine Corps license plate, so yes.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
^^:hf:^^

Grendels Dad posted:

us marine corps so same thing basically

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Grendels Dad posted:

They're just an ex-marine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lazy_Liberal posted:

^^:hf:^^

us marine corps so same thing basically

Caution: every other car in town makees frequent stops at your wife's house

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Groda posted:

They're just an ex-marine.

watch out you're gonna piss off my dad

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Oh no what's he going to do, have crippling but mostly untreated disabilities at us?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Because of how often that car is at your mom's?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

"I sleep on base, do you?"
"I sleep in a big bed with your wife."

Oorah

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

can confirm, this is the third time this week she's ordered the applebees' date night for two special

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I forgot about this. I turned mine back on again. Ogod

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was at a bar waiting to riot.

Like a bigger disappointment than the Mayan calendar.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I posit that the Y2K apocalypse did happen in real slow time. We'd be MUCH better off if we had left them switched off.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

kiimo posted:

I was at a bar waiting to riot.

Like a bigger disappointment than the Mayan calendar.

The Y2K apocalypse didn’t happen because people like me spent the 9 months prior to it busting out asses getting everything patched.

Yes, I am still bitter about not getting any credit. 😀

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Azathoth Prime posted:

The Y2K apocalypse didn’t happen because people like me spent 9 months busting out asses getting everything patched.

You fuckin piece of poo poo

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Biplane posted:

You fuckin piece of poo poo

I know. We should have let it all burn.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Azathoth Prime posted:

The Y2K apocalypse didn’t happen because people like me spent the 9 months prior to it busting out asses getting everything patched.

So today's awful world is your fault!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Azathoth Prime posted:

gently caress you, Michael Bolton. You're the one who sucks!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

God, I remember the media hysteria over Y2K in 1999. For the second half of the year, probably longer, they would not shut the gently caress up about it. They turned a medium-sized problem into THE END OF THE WORLD OMG GUYS WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! gently caress the corporate media.

I'm still bitter because it was 15 year old me's first lesson in media literacy.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

The Demilich posted:

So today's awful world is your fault!

Yeah. And now I work in R&D helping develop the high speed memory (RAM and flash) that AI needs to take over the world.

But the pay is decent, and the hours aren’t bad.

Which is capitalism in a nutshell, I guess.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Azathoth Prime posted:

Yeah. And now I work in R&D helping develop the high speed memory (RAM and flash) that AI needs to take over the world.

Well, at least you are helping to bring some sort of Mad Max future to all of us after all. Baby steps.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

God, I remember the media hysteria over Y2K in 1999. For the second half of the year, probably longer, they would not shut the gently caress up about it. They turned a medium-sized problem into THE END OF THE WORLD OMG GUYS WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! gently caress the corporate media.

I'm still bitter because it was 15 year old me's first lesson in media literacy.

Yeah, the real risk was totally overblown. The people that needed to take action all knew about it well in advance and we took those actions. At the place I was working at the time, we knew with like 99.9% certainty that our poo poo was not going to break. We’d built a test environment where we could spoof NTP and simulate the rollover as often as we needed to be sure all our mitigation steps were working.

It didn’t stop management from putting us all on-call. So we all got to sit at home, sober, while the rest of the world celebrated something that only happens every 1000 years.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Azathoth Prime posted:

Considering what we consider to be "AI" nowadays and how far it is from being able to take over anything, it sounds like you've made a career out of blowing smoke up the asses of monied interests. Great job?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Azathoth Prime posted:

Get a real job.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Let's do the Y2K hysteria again, but for 2038

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hooo im hoping im out the game by then. but eh i could probably die first maybe

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Azathoth Prime posted:

The trailer for this documentary was uploaded just a few hours prior to your post :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Q8v7Z7TJs

Sorry about the Jeffrey Bezos thumbnail.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Considering what we consider to be "AI" nowadays and how far it is from being able to take over anything, it sounds like you've made a career out of blowing smoke up the asses of monied interests. Great job?

Kinda. Our memory (or one of our competitors’) also powers the device you’re using to read this, and the servers that SA runs on. The odds are pretty good that at least one of your electronic devices has something I helped bring to market inside it, which is pretty cool IMO.

But then our memory in particular also powers Teslas, and military drones that the US uses to kill brown people all over the world. And that is very not cool.

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Dec 13, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The Merkinman posted:

I have a Y2038 version of the Y2K Best Buy sticker on my work laptop so I don't forget.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Growing up in Kansas in the 80s someone was always predicting the end of the world and terrifying kids and my parents not telling us the truth in order to scare us into going to bed early.

When people stopped buying religious apocalypses they had to start inventing digital ones. It's like Santa, it's all to get kids to act right without parents having to exert too much effort.

edit: the only kids I'll ever have were in Skyrim and even then there was an apocalypse involved

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

We're not making it to 2038

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

kazil posted:

We're not making it to 2038
It's not even 15 years until 2038-01-19

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

freeedr posted:

Wait are you the guy that’s been hiding outside my window

He's A guy that’s been hiding outside your window

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Merkinman posted:

Did some quick mental arithmetic and I reckon I can afford to retire from my data-focussed Big Data (i.e. SQL) program maintenance job juuust before then.

It's nice to have goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Azathoth Prime posted:

Yeah, the real risk was totally overblown. The people that needed to take action all knew about it well in advance and we took those actions. At the place I was working at the time, we knew with like 99.9% certainty that our poo poo was not going to break. We’d built a test environment where we could spoof NTP and simulate the rollover as often as we needed to be sure all our mitigation steps were working.

It didn’t stop management from putting us all on-call. So we all got to sit at home, sober, while the rest of the world celebrated something that only happens every 1000 years.

I chilled, drank, smoked weed and stayed home watching Prince's live $19.99 concert then went outside at midnight and nothing was on fire or exploding and I still had power. DIdn't see any horsemen of the apocalypse anywhere. It was a good night.