Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My megacorp is circling the drain so no holiday party for me. Can’t say I am too broken up about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

I think the pandemic broke our company's parties. I haven't met anyone this year who attended the summer concert or the Christmas party, both of which were sort of unmissable events before the pandemic.

I made it to the summer concert, but skipped the Christmas Ho Ho because I was still full from a team pizza event, and also could catch an early bus home on a Friday. The summer concert was pretty lit, despite not ever having heard of any of the musical acts and still couldn't name any of them. Free food and beer with colleagues will get me to sit through some really appalling live music.

Hit me up, we're due for lunch.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Love my variable vs fixed expenses

Is your CFO Jacques Necker by chance?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They didn't budget for a holiday party for our large UK office and instead of skipping it someone who is very well intentioned scraped up all the budget they could to do something. They really shouldn't have, because the "something" is insulting. They are providing several bottle of booze and hot dogs, but you have to pay for chips/fries if you want them. I am not exaggerating, this is really what's going down. The optics are just so terrible I can't believe they or someone else didn't stop this once they realized how grim the effort had become. The bulk of the people in that office that I've talked to are somewhere between insulted and amused.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just do a potluck at that point

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What megacorps are circling the drain at this point? They’re all doing fantastic as far as I can tell, having jacked up their prices 25% across the board and cut their expenses to the bone

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

poisonpill posted:

What megacorps are circling the drain at this point? They’re all doing fantastic as far as I can tell, having jacked up their prices 25% across the board and cut their expenses to the bone

They all are! These are unprecedented times!!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

Just do a potluck at that point
My boss and colleagues are surprised every year I'm not going to the xmas party since I get along well with everyone. My brothers in christ I am a literal whore, don't invite me to dinner after we exchange currency for services, there's plenty of people I like more than you.

If the party's during office hours, count me the hell in.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
We were supposed to have an office party last week. People who could not attend due to distance or whatever would be given a cash gift as compensation.

They canceled the party due to lack of confirmed attendance.

The cash gift has not been mentioned again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dpkg chopra posted:

We were supposed to have an office party last week. People who could not attend due to distance or whatever would be given a cash gift as compensation.

They canceled the party due to lack of confirmed attendance.

The cash gift has not been mentioned again.

That seems like an absolutely deranged offer

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

“Not go to an office party, AND get paid for it”, or a swift kick to the balls. Tough choice!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Yup, absolutely rear end-backwards. If you pay me even like $20 to not be in the office longer that's what I'm gonna do. Isn't the whole point of the office party that you pay less to buy your workers' goodwill through food and drink for one night than they'd otherwise want in raises?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, when I say office party I meant at like at a bar that would have been closed out for the company event.

90% of the company is remote so they did a bunch of these in different cities

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Last time my company had a party (7 years ago I think?) They were flying us in from the satellite office to the HQ. I was on vacation that week so I didn't have to go. I was the envy of the office.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

poisonpill posted:

Once I don’t work here anymore I will reveal the company and no one will be shocked, I promise.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Big4 holiday parties were pretty sweet. I like to imagine each office had clients they kept on just to fund the party fees each year.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The best workplace parties I ever had was wayyyyy back when I was a co-op at Nortel Networks in the late 90s. They'd have Beer fridays like every friday with food and entertainment and it was wild. It was basically pre-gaming to go out to the bars immediately after and it was good times. RIP Nortel.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I like going to parties after work hours with my team. They're cool people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Big4 holiday parties were pretty sweet. I like to imagine each office had clients they kept on just to fund the party fees each year.

I went the first year I was with Deloitte. It had an after party for when the bars (that we went to after the official venue closed) closed. By the time I left a couple years later they were cutting drinks off at 10pm for our post “entire office events”.

The next place had a sit down dinner but was a lot more formal. Then covid happened and nothing for several years. Their events always had drink tickets but there lots of them and I was senior enough to just expense drinks for the team anyway. I believe that they restarted their Christmas party this year.

My new place is out of the big 4, and as a publically traded company does not have the same approach to expenses.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

I like going to parties after work hours with my team. They're cool people.

If my team wasn't vertically linear so that everyone I talk to either reports to me or is my boss, I'd like the parties a lot more. :v:

Honestly though, the bay area has people commute from so far away (or under such limited commuting windows) that there usually aren't people up for doing anything after work anyway.

quote:

I made it to the summer concert, but skipped the Christmas Ho Ho because I was still full from a team pizza event, and also could catch an early bus home on a Friday. The summer concert was pretty lit, despite not ever having heard of any of the musical acts and still couldn't name any of them. Free food and beer with colleagues will get me to sit through some really appalling live music.

Hit me up, we're due for lunch.

Glad the summer concert went well! Those weird aspects of the company culture are really valuable in keeping this place better/different from the rest of this hosed-up industry, so I hope they don't die. And yep, let's get lunch. I'll toss something on your calendar. :)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 12, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, nobody wants to take the bus because they missed the last ferry going out for drinks after work.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yeah, nobody wants to take the bus because they missed the last ferry going out for drinks after work.

Exactly. Or if they're taking the company buses, miss the last bus on their line and now get to add 2+ hours of actual public transit to their commute.

I loved my ferry. A shame it's gone now. :(

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I commuted by ferry in NYC for a few years. Absolutely top tier, there is no better commuting than by ferry.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, I can't blame them. But for those few years where I had an apartment in Yerba Buena that I was at a week or 2 a month it severely limited the number of people from work I'd hang out with (and this was a place where you actually wanted to hang out with the people you worked with).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Awkward Davies posted:

I commuted by ferry in NYC for a few years. Absolutely top tier, there is no better commuting than by ferry.

Is it? It's not like your commute begins and ends with the ferry. I always figured the extra trains to and from the pier made the ferry suck.

Same reason I'm not looking at the city for work while I live on the island. Sure the LIRR brings you into penn but now you have an entire 2nd train battle to get to your final destination. I had a friend in high school who took the ferry and his commute was extremely long.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If it's like the ferries in the bay area they have bars. So they are objectively better.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Is it? It's not like your commute begins and ends with the ferry. I always figured the extra trains to and from the pier made the ferry suck.

Same reason I'm not looking at the city for work while I live on the island. Sure the LIRR brings you into penn but now you have an entire 2nd train battle to get to your final destination. I had a friend in high school who took the ferry and his commute was extremely long.

I had a pretty short and specific commute: Greenpoint to midtown east. Walk 15 minutes to Transmitter Park, 15 minute ferry, 15 minute walk to the office. The train was quicker and slightly cheaper, but the mental health benefits of not dealing with the train, being outside, and walking far made up for the somewhat longer commute and increased cost.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

My favorite way to commute takes an hour but its because I bike. Commute quality is way more than just time.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lockback posted:

My favorite way to commute takes an hour but its because I bike. Commute quality is way more than just time.

I used to bike ~8 miles to the ferry, take the ferry across, then about 2 miles down to the office from there. Shower in the locker rooms, go to work feeling fresh and clean. Reverse that in the evening. The boat part in the middle was kind of important, though. :( It was a really nice commute to sit out on the deck and enjoy the breeze, unwind, and get some exercise before I got home.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sundae posted:

I used to bike ~8 miles to the ferry, take the ferry across, then about 2 miles down to the office from there. Shower in the locker rooms, go to work feeling fresh and clean. Reverse that in the evening. The boat part in the middle was kind of important, though. :( It was a really nice commute to sit out on the deck and enjoy the breeze, unwind, and get some exercise before I got home.

That sounds amazing. Mine is about 12 miles but its almost all dedicated trails including about half riding right next to the Mississippi which is really cool. Riding by the U of M rowing team in the morning was super cool. Same thing, shower at the office and generally just feel great all day.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There are commutes out there that don’t require 5-10 minutes of laying on the bed staring into space afterwards to decompress from a hellscape of highways?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For a while I lived in the area where I would be going against traffic and that was nice, I miss those days. Also had an option to take transit because I didn't need to go pickup drat kids etc.

Now the options are leave at 3pm or leave at 6:30pm or leave between those times and spend 50 minutes sitting in traffic

I swear to god every route is under constant construction too, shutting down lanes completely inexplicably.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Not having to dig my car out of the snow in winter is great. Wfh forever. (I realize there are other ways around my hatred of snow but I will not consider them)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

8am meeting, wfh: Wake up at ~7:30, have a cup of coffee and breakfast before the call.

8am meeting with commute: If you’re not out the door by 6:30 you’re late. If you leave before 6:30, roll a D6 to determine if you get in before 7 or if you’ll still be late.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Would it be bad form to unmute to demand a meeting host blow his sniffy loving nose after an hour of sniffing or did I miss my window

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Would it be bad form to unmute to demand a meeting host blow his sniffy loving nose after an hour of sniffing or did I miss my window

If you do it you’re going to have everyone else on the call going “THANK GOD” and then checking to make sure they’re still muted.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

There are commutes out there that don’t require 5-10 minutes of laying on the bed staring into space afterwards to decompress from a hellscape of highways?

Nope. Sorry. Not possible.

Now get back to the office we need to collaborate harder.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Only 5-10 minutes? I'll take it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Renegret posted:

Nope. Sorry. Not possible.

Now get back to the office we need to collaborate harder.

this was already posted somewhere in BFC, right?

https://twitter.com/TTEcclesBrown/status/1717140735437512835?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Oh honey

Now you understand why your parents were mindless, soulless zombies growing up.