Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

kreeningsons posted:

thx, any US suppliers besides Amazon?
Flo is made by an Australian pharmaceutical company, and you can buy it from this Australian online pharmacy, which ships internationally. It took about a week to ship to the East Coast. Especially if you order enough to get free shipping, it's a lot cheaper than Amazon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Insanite posted:

lol my in-laws were supposed to take our 4yo for the week so that we could concentrate on sleep training our infant.

they went to a concert on saturday and are positive now. whoops!

told us that they were surprised they were positive today, because they yested negative on the day of the concert. (???)

i gave them test to treat info to get pax, but they're deciding to wait on their PCP who denied them pax last time they had covid despite being 65+, overweight, and with heart conditions. lol.

they're excited to get out and about in five (5) days because a friend told them that is all anyone needs to quarantine for before they're safe.

what is up with people, man.

the PCP did indeed deny them pax because “the side effects would be worse than the symptoms”

lmao

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
tools!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

the PCP did indeed deny them pax because “the side effects would be worse than the symptoms”

lmao

Drake no: bad taste in mouth
Drake yes: no taste ever again

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Phlag posted:

Flo is made by an Australian pharmaceutical company, and you can buy it from this Australian online pharmacy, which ships internationally. It took about a week to ship to the East Coast. Especially if you order enough to get free shipping, it's a lot cheaper than Amazon too.

thanks for this. ordered here instead of Amazon

I ordered some nasitrol which is similar but haven’t tried it yet to see if it stings.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Insanite posted:

this is one of the seaweed sprays: https://betadine.ca/nasal-spray/

this stuff is good too, no stank no sting no real taste

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I was recommended Budesonide spray. A quick google search shows there’s been some studies on it, but who knows.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Insanite posted:

this is one of the seaweed sprays: https://betadine.ca/nasal-spray/

Yup, this is the one I use as well. No sting or anything.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kragger99 posted:

Yup, this is the one I use as well. No sting or anything.

i believe some americans ITT have had luck with getting it by https://www.northernvitality.us/products/betadine-cold-defence-nasal-spray-20ml, self included

not gonna go to bat for that site or anything, but i haven't had covid while using the spray nor have i developed a horrendous sinus infection or cancer or whatever and it doesn't hurt like enovid did

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

sneaking away from the family holiday gathering with my Covid aware cousin to do a bump of carrageenan in the bathroom

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Ah yes, three years of a plague that killed over a million Americans because of the incompetence and arrogance of republicans,

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

:actually: In the federal republic of the USA, every statesman is a republican, unless they agitate to secede. 0 Pinocchio's.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
anyone explain to me what’s different about JN1

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

The slightly longer URL-type name is BA.2.86.1.1

Idk if that clears things up or if you are asking for something more specific, in which case I posted a study earlier today and yesterday I posted about how it is going in Denmark.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Steve Yun posted:

this is the raw data https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.12.08.570782v1

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pingui posted:

Idk if that clears things up or if you are asking for something more specific, in which case I posted a study earlier today and yesterday I posted about how it is going in Denmark.

ok I’ll read those, must’ve missed them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

welp glad I had a few weeks of protection from XBB sublineages. thanks Pfizer

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

blessed that we can update the mRNA vaccines so rapidly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insanite posted:

blessed that we can update the mRNA vaccines so rapidly

I freaking love science!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sending some wastewater data to the CDC.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Also they're asking MPs with active COVID to vote in parliament. :rubby:

Update on the very smart workplace policy mentioned above:

https://www-dr-dk.translate.goog/ny...&_x_tr_pto=wapp posted:

Sickness shuts down the Parliament: Social Democrat blames the opposition
According to the Social Democrats, political teasing from the opposition is to blame for widespread illness in Christiansborg [ed. think Congress].

There is disease everywhere.

Influenza, coronavirus, RS virus, whooping cough and cold pneumonia are all circulating and making children and adults sick left and right.

Both in daycare centers and at workplaces, people are calling in sick. And today it hit the Parliament so hard that meetings in the Parliament Hall had to be cancelled.
(..)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mother. loving. JACKPOT!!!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lib and let die posted:

That doesn’t cross the blood—brain barrier and won’t help with your brain worms, sorry.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

That doesn’t cross the blood—brain barrier and won’t help with your brain worms, sorry.

Just another example of the COVID thread spreading misinformation.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ing-av-rein.pdf posted:

(..)
Mebendazole and fenbendazole, given orally at a dose rate of 6 mg/kg daily for ten days, had a better effect against lungworms and brainworms than a single dose of ivermectin.
(..)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

this is a like secret Santa or white elephant gift or something right?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Steve Yun posted:

Pingui posted:

:actually:

I think you mean B.1.1.529.2.86.1.1

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

:actually:

I think you mean B.1.1.529.2.86.1.1

I just wanted to highlight that it was a mutated form of BA.2.86, which I figured Steve must have heard of.

Isn't it great that we are back to the URLs?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Yus. Seriously though we need names, WHO GIVE US SOME NAMES

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
yeah what happened to Greek mythology names people

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oracle posted:

this is a like secret Santa or white elephant gift or something right?

No I went from an 80k a year computer toucher job to working reception at an emergency veterinary clinic for $14/hour

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

call_of_qthulhu posted:

what the gently caress is that pie chart supposed to be???

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Zantie posted:

Yus. Seriously though we need names, WHO GIVE US SOME NAMES

I'm pretty sure the world health organization does :haw:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lib and let die posted:

No I went from an 80k a year computer toucher job to working reception at an emergency veterinary clinic for $14/hour

:yosnice:

Thank you for your service.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Platystemon posted:

:yosnice:

Thank you for your service.

We did two decapitations for rabies tests yesterday.

Coincidentally I started drinking again :cheers:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Yeah that would do it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
eyyyy

https://x.com/meetjess/status/1734693072825373029?s=46

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
An unsurprising finding, though it is "good" to see the data being explored. A brief note on the difference between persistent symptoms vs severe COVID, and why the latter is less of a factor than one might expect, it is worth noting the time frame only goes to 2021 and in the early stages of the pandemic hospitalizations costs were covered for all. As such - and to the extent that they per definition don't have long term symptoms - it is unsurprising that the effect is much smaller as it effectively amounts to being out of the job market for a time, but getting back while it was still booming.
"Association of Severe COVID-19 and Persistent COVID-19 Symptoms With Economic Hardship Among US Families"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2812772 posted:

Key Points
Question Are COVID-19 outcomes, including severe COVID-19 and persistent COVID-19 symptoms, associated with economic hardship among US families?

Findings In this cohort study of 6932 families, the odds of reporting economic hardship were higher for families headed by an adult with persistent COVID-19 symptoms and, to a lesser extent, families headed by an adult with previous severe COVID-19 compared with families with no history of COVID-19. Families with lower income before the pandemic were more vulnerable to employment disruptions and earnings losses associated with an adult family member’s COVID-19 illness.

Meaning Policy actions to mitigate the household financial hardship of post–COVID-19 conditions merit continued discussion.

Abstract
Importance Little is known about the association of severe COVID-19 and post–COVID-19 conditions with household finances.

Objective To examine associations between COVID-19 outcomes, pandemic-related economic hardship, and prepandemic socioeconomic status among families in the US.

Design, Setting, and Participants This cohort study used data from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID), a nationally representative, longitudinal study. Data included 6932 families active in the PSID in both 2019 and 2021.

Exposures Ordinal exposure categories were defined based on whether the reference person or spouse or partner reported a positive COVID-19 diagnosis and (1) persistent COVID-19 symptoms, (2) previous severe COVID-19, or (3) previous moderate, mild, or asymptomatic COVID-19. Families with no history of COVID-19 served as the reference group.

Main Outcomes and Measures Outcomes included whether a resident family member was laid off or furloughed, lost earnings, or had any financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Results In this cohort study of 6932 families (772 Hispanic families [weighted, 13.5%; 95% CI, 12.4%-14.6%], 2725 non-Hispanic Black families [weighted, 13.1%; 95% CI, 12.3%-14.1%], and 3242 non-Hispanic White families [weighted, 66.8%; 95% CI, 65.2%-68.3%]), close to 1 in 4 (2222 [weighted, 27.0%; 95% CI, 25.6%-28.6%]) reported income below 200% of the US Census Bureau poverty threshold. In survey-weighted regression models adjusted for prepandemic sociodemographic characteristics and experiences of economic hardship, the odds of reporting pandemic-related economic hardship were 2.0 to 3.7 times higher among families headed by an adult with persistent COVID-19 symptoms (laid off or furloughed: adjusted odds ratio [AOR], 1.98 [95% CI, 1.37-2.85]; lost earnings: AOR, 2.86 [95% CI, 2.06-3.97]; financial difficulties: AOR, 3.72 [95% CI, 2.62-5.27]) and 1.7 to 2.0 times higher among families headed by an adult with previous severe COVID-19 (laid off or furloughed: AOR, 1.69 [95% CI, 1.13-2.53]; lost earnings: AOR, 1.99 [95% CI, 1.37-2.90]; financial difficulties: AOR, 1.87 [95% CI, 1.25-2.80]) compared with families with no history of COVID-19. Families headed by an adult with persistent COVID-19 symptoms had increased odds of reporting financial difficulties due to the pandemic regardless of prepandemic socioeconomic status (families with lower income: AOR, 3.71 [95% CI, 1.94-7.10]; families with higher income: AOR, 3.74 [95% CI, 2.48-5.63]). Previous severe COVID-19 was significantly associated with financial difficulties among families with lower income (AOR, 2.59 [95% CI, 1.26-5.31]) but was not significantly associated with financial difficulties among those with high income (OR, 1.56 [95% CI, 0.95-2.56]).

Conclusions and Relevance This cohort study suggests that persistent COVID-19 symptoms and, to a lesser extent, previous severe COVID-19 were associated with increased odds of pandemic-related economic hardship in a cohort of US families. The economic consequences of COVID-19 varied according to socioeconomic status; families with lower income before the pandemic were more vulnerable to employment disruptions and earnings losses associated with an adult family member’s COVID-19 illness.

News article on the matter:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/report-underscores-financial-pressure-long-covid-families posted:

Report underscores financial pressure of long COVID on families
(..)
More than a fourth of households (28.4%) headed by an adult previously infected by SARS-CoV-2 (1,147 affected families) reported persistent symptoms. The remaining 5,785 families (84.6%) had no history of COVID-19.

Of the 6,932 families, 17.0%, 23.0%, and 16.8% reported that a household member had been laid off or furloughed, lost earnings, or had financial difficulties, respectively, due to the pandemic. Overall, 14.2% had at least one member who lacked health insurance in the past 2 years.
(..)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	733	+5
Hosp.	21	 
pre:
Recent
Week	Cases	Change
Nov-26	2	+2
Nov-12	2	-
Nov-05	5	+1
No Date	2	+2
pre:
Older
Month		Cases
Oct 2023	16	
Sep 2023	9	
Aug 2023	1	
Jul 2023	1	
Jun 2023	2	
May 2023	-	
Apr 2023	7	
Mar 2023	6	
Feb 2023	9	
Jan 2023	15	
Dec 2022	13	
Nov 2022	19	
Oct 2022	23	
Sep 2022	134	
Aug 2022	260	
Jul 2022	190	
Jun 2022	16	
May 2022	1	
WA State Mpox Dashboard

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

I'm pretty sure the world health organization does :haw:

:buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I somehow didn't see this until it was re-quoted earlier today. I bought 4 200M units because I've got contractors coming in and out and I want something I can run constantly. Is there any way to make the 200M less drafty/gappy? I can run my CR cubes after the contractors leave, but it would be great to have something moving the air around the whole time.

Check all of your purifiers and see if your filters have any gaps. Maybe I just got a bad unit. If there is a gap, you could stuff the gap with a folded sheet of paper (like fold it 4 times along hotdog axis, maybe it'll take more than one sheet. For me, tape would be a last resort because I really don't want to damage the filter media or jeopardize a return.