Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think they could get a wax Capaldi in there.

Four camera sitcom comedy in which wax Tom Baker and wax Peter Capaldi have after hours adventures at Madam Toussad's as the Fauxrth and Doesn'th Doctors. Dylan Moran as the hapless security guard, unless he turned out to be terrible or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

It is both staggeringly bad and had basically no one involved that would raise it's profile enough for it to do any good whatsoever. Like congrats Ian, you got one member of Ultravox and a guy from Starlight Express.

Be fair, he did try to get Elton John and Holly Johnson (from Frankie Goes to Hollywood), but he had to settle for Justin Hayward from the Moody Blues and Bobby G from Bucks Fizz. :v:

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think Davies did the "Every Doctor is also out there" thing to be the coolest or whatever. I think he was just trying to open the door wide open for prior Doctors and companions to do televised adventures and not have to care about their age, because a huge corporation drove a dumptruck full of money up to Cardiff, he's as much of a Doctor Who nerd as some of us are, and he wants to see Colin Baker yell a monologue at a sun if the revival is popular enough to warrant some kind of "prior Doctors" anthology spin-off.

I'm sorry, but if you'll allow me to toot my own horn a little bit, I speculated this ITT a few weeks ago:

Matinee posted:

The mistake is thinking of the doctors by their number.

There is no “Tenth Doctor”, there is no “Second Doctor” etc, they all exist in some eternal quantum present, but our puny human minds can’t perceive time and causality that way.

*exhales, puts down bong*

[......] I don’t think “Whoniverse” is just a branding exercise, put it that way.

The thing is.... I was kinda joking at the time.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 12, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

Four camera sitcom comedy in which wax Tom Baker and wax Peter Capaldi have after hours adventures at Madam Toussad's as the Fauxrth and Doesn'th Doctors. Dylan Moran as the hapless security guard, unless he turned out to be terrible or whatever.

Dylan Moran has thankfully turned out to be basically fine and has no truck with "cancel culture" nonsense (unless something has changed since this interview):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comedy/comedians/comedian-dylan-moran-panel-show-circuit-rigged-game/

Tl;dr: he refuses to be drawn on general culture war bullshit, and says that Graham Linehan is not "cancelled" but instead expressed his opinion and everyone else gets to respond to that opinion.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Be fair, he did try to get Elton John and Holly Johnson (from Frankie Goes to Hollywood), but he had to settle for Justin Hayward from the Moody Blues and Bobby G from Bucks Fizz. :v:

The list of names on the wiki page for the song is hilarious. Two whole members of Matt Bianco? WOW IAN!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think my favourite part of the dance scene is that that hat he comes out wearing would not fit over his hairdo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boxturret posted:

I think my favourite part of the dance scene is that that hat he comes out wearing would not fit over his hairdo.

Hah, yeah, he comes out of one of the doors and takes it off but if you look carefully he's already holding it off his head from the start.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

guess that's something Ncuti and Capaldi have in common

(Give us our sweary Doctors teaming up though)
(See also, Four and Seven swearing)

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1734641230817243502

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 12, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ncuti's Scottish, swearing isn't swearing for us, it's more like punctuation.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are more doctors secret Scottish than English at this point?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, there's only 4 Scots out of even just the 14 actors to play the numbered incarnations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If they ever get a simple majority, England becomes a province of Scotland.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We need an Irish and Welsh accented doctor, before moving onto Canadian and Australian and anywhere else still doing UK royalty stuff, then start working backwards through history till we have a Doctor who speaks Gaulish.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
If Wilf knew about the "knocks four times" prophecy, why did he knock four times to get the Doctor to let him out? Couldn't he have knocked... Three times?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Updog Scully posted:

If Wilf knew about the "knocks four times" prophecy, why did he knock four times to get the Doctor to let him out? Couldn't he have knocked... Three times?

Look if you had a shot at a front row seat for seeing the Doctor regenerate first-hand would you give it up?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Typically I don't go out of my way to watch people die or be born, let alone both, but I wouldn't want to be rude and would go and be supportive if invited.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

We need an Irish and Welsh accented doctor, before moving onto Canadian and Australian and anywhere else still doing UK royalty stuff, then start working backwards through history till we have a Doctor who speaks Gaulish.

I'll say the same thing I said when someone suggested a deaf, Irish, non-binary person play the Doctor - there is NO WAY the BBC lets an Irish person be the Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Typically I don't go out of my way to watch people die or be born, let alone both, but I wouldn't want to be rude and would go and be supportive if invited.

It depends. For someone like the Doctor, you visit as soon as the TARDIS is ready, but for, say, the Meddling Monk, they're lucky if I even send a card for their latest regeneration's First Communion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

It depends. For someone like the Doctor, you visit as soon as the TARDIS is ready, but for, say, the Meddling Monk, they're lucky if I even send a card for their latest regeneration's First Communion.

And for The Eleven there's basically no point bothering, there's just going to be a huge crowd.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Have to rename the Canadian-led series, we're losing all our doctors

Nurse-Practitioner Who

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Edward Mass posted:

I'll say the same thing I said when someone suggested a deaf, Irish, non-binary person play the Doctor - there is NO WAY the BBC lets an Irish person be the Doctor.

Fortunately the BBC doesn't get a say in it anymore! Tiocfaidh ár lá!

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
The monkey's paw curls. The next Doctor strolls out of the TARDIS and bellows "AT'S US NAI" in the strongest, shrillest Belfast accent ever broadcast.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dylan Moran should play the doctor.

The last time I suggested a doctor casting on here it was Peter Capaldi so this will definitely happen.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
With a wink and a warm smile, Fifteen regenerates into a scowling Joel McHale.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Doctor regenerates into NPH, and when pushed on it: "well, the Toymaker just seemed to be really enjoying it"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

CapnAndy posted:

The Doctor regenerates into NPH, and when pushed on it: "well, the Toymaker just seemed to be really enjoying it"

Rusty did say in one of the behind the scenes shorts for "The Giggle" that if Doctor Who were an American program, NPH would be perfect for the Doctor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Him or Noah Wyle, sure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

Him or Noah Wyle, sure.

Certainly different incarnations. Also Jeff Goldblum and Donald Glover.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gene Wilder before he passed, RIP.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sorry, I was just making a Librarians reference where Wyle kind of plays an American version of a combined 10-11.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I accidentally watched one of those movies and it kind of required me to already be invested in the world and characters, then I tried watching the series but it's all since slipped away from memory. I think I might've just ended up starting this current Who rewatch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

Gene Wilder before he passed, RIP.

Wilder would’ve absolutely been the American Tom Baker.

In fact I definitely remember an old video or article that went through a whole What If thing picking American actors from the same eras for each of the Doctors and Wilder was one of the better picks. Anyone remember that?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I think the usual thread wish is Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey and Tamsin Grieg get the TARDIS. Each week, one of them gets a turn as the Doctor

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wilder would’ve absolutely been the American Tom Baker.

In fact I definitely remember an old video or article that went through a whole What If thing picking American actors from the same eras for each of the Doctors and Wilder was one of the better picks. Anyone remember that?

Found a Quora list

Burgess Meredith (One)
Vincent Price (Dalek films)
Ernest Borgnine (Second)
Clint Eastwood (Third)
Gene Wilder (Fourth)
Robin Williams (Fifth)
Christopher Walken (Sixth)
Al Pacino (Seventh)
Jeff Golblum (Eighth)
Harrison Ford (War)
Robert Downey Jr (Ninth)
Neil Patrick Harris (Tenth)
Joaquin Phoenix (Eleventh)
Bryan Cranston (Twelfth)
Charlize Theron (Thirteen)
Viola Davis (Fugitive)
Donald Glover (Fifteen)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
The odd thing is I'm not sure an American Doctor works wholesale - I could absolutely imagine a version of the show that was American but in a sense it is so tied up - for good and ill - with various Britishisms.

Incidentally, I'll speak for the area of these islands I know quite well and say that I'd like to see the Isle of Man appear in Who! I'm not sure I could name any Manx actors though.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Ya know, I've noticed a lot of people have been bringing up issues with the bigeneration because they feel it hurts Ncuti. I also see that a lot of the individuals bringing up the concerns are black. This includes a friend of mine. And I can't help but notice that the concern seems to be rather "tut-tutted" in a lot of places I go to online. Reddit, especially. More than once I saw someone try to lecture that "black people aren't oppressed in Britain and it's all about classicism," which is not true. There is a lot of racism in Britians. Seems a little gross how the concern is not really being addressed. Feels almost like the kind of behavior that would push people away. That's just my feelings, but it something I've seen a few times.

Just one example is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/comments/18g5hh2/spoilers_as_a_black_whovian_the_introductions_of/

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Covok posted:

Ya know, I've noticed a lot of people have been bringing up issues with the bigeneration because they feel it hurts Ncuti. I also see that a lot of the individuals bringing up the concerns are black. This includes a friend of mine. And I can't help but notice that the concern seems to be rather "tut-tutted" in a lot of places I go to online. Reddit, especially. More than once I saw someone try to lecture that "black people aren't oppressed in Britain and it's all about classicism," which is not true. There is a lot of racism in Britians. Seems a little gross how the concern is not really being addressed. Feels almost like the kind of behavior that would push people away. That's just my feelings, but it something I've seen a few times.

Just one example is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/comments/18g5hh2/spoilers_as_a_black_whovian_the_introductions_of/

It's concerning that this is being dismissed. Like you I'm minded to take it seriously.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Covok posted:

I took a look at that and found what I thought was something very interesting:

Among their other points, the OP of that reddit thread thought it was rather demeaning for the first black Doctor to be walking around wearing no pants (e: or trousers for our UK friends, since "pants" apparently means "underwear" over there :v:), just a shirt and underwear. This was followed by roughly a zillion thirsty posts of people dismissing the OP's point by talking about how hot they think Gatwa is. To a certain extent (though not nearly as bad, thankfully), much the same thing happened in this subforum, with people commenting on the actor's attractiveness.

I can't help but think this absolutely would not have been considered an acceptable reaction if that had been how Jodie Whittaker's Doctor was introduced.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 13, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I randomly decided to start watching season 1. In The Wild Blue Yonder, 10-2 carries around a bottle of salt. In Rose, 9 casually has plastic explosives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I randomly decided to start watching season 1. In The Wild Blue Yonder, 10-2 carries around a bottle of salt. In Rose, 9 casually has plastic explosives.

In fairness, Nine just came out of a war.