Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i will not stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lemme smell yo Deck

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Koburn posted:

Finally got support to start the RMA. They don't provide the box of course, unfortunately I no longer have the box it came in.

This advice would have been more valuable last week before I finally put the box in the recycling!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, it's real tempting to add every game for a system because they're all a handful of kilobytes in size, but I've long since learned that you should treat them like any other game - add them when you want to play them, keep them if you like them, ditch them if you don't. For anything you're slightly curious about but not particularly interested in playing then that's what YouTube long plays are for.

I like using Retrodeck for my emulators because it's just one shortcut in my steam library and it sanely breaks up the games in there by the console and has a neat scraping tool to get metadata on them.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I'm gonna take one huff. Because new electronics smell like fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Smell your vent. Valve does not make the rules, live your life and be free

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What is valve hiding

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Asus lets you smell the vent.

Just sayin.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gaben wants to keep it for himself

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Theotus posted:

Snagged an OLED and it's great but the face buttons are starting to stick after like ten hours of hand held use. Huge bummer. Screen is great though!

i'm feeling this as well, B is sticking quite a bit already. not enough to RMA but eventually if it doesn't buff out i'll complain about it online, more.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i crave passive visual stimulation, is there a way to make my deck display sick rear end colors and shapes while docked?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

that's not fumes that steam, steam from the steam deck i'm playing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, weird question maybe, idk. If a game doesn’t have a built in menu option to change the face button displays to whatever console you’re most used to, is there any way you can trick the Deck into making those the default input on games besides synching a wireless controller to it?

Specifically it’s Like A Dragon Gaiden, I’ve played pretty much all of the Yakuza games on a PS4 and having the Steam Xbox inputs isn’t like the worst thing in the world in and of itself, but there’s inputs for karaoke that use the face buttons I have not remotely memorized so there’s that.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i sample my vent fumes with dry aged silica gel packets

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I have rights.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Last Celebration posted:

Hey, weird question maybe, idk. If a game doesn’t have a built in menu option to change the face button displays to whatever console you’re most used to, is there any way you can trick the Deck into making those the default input on games besides synching a wireless controller to it?

Specifically it’s Like A Dragon Gaiden, I’ve played pretty much all of the Yakuza games on a PS4 and having the Steam Xbox inputs isn’t like the worst thing in the world in and of itself, but there’s inputs for karaoke that use the face buttons I have not remotely memorized so there’s that.
There's a mod on the Nexus for LAD:G which changes the button prompts to the PS controller face buttons, if that helps. Disclaimer: I have not played LAD:G and have not tried this mod, so I know nothing about it other than that it exists.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

There's a mod on the Nexus for LAD:G which changes the button prompts to the PS controller face buttons, if that helps. Disclaimer: I have not played LAD:G and have not tried this mod, so I know nothing about it other than that it exists.

Seems good enough, thanks!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All games with controller support really should have a button icon toggle between Sony/Xbox/Nintendo layouts.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what we actually need is industry regulation on standardized face button labels

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

what we actually need is industry regulation on standardized face button labels

This should be the next thing the EU takes up.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

jokes posted:

All games with controller support really should have a button icon toggle between Sony/Xbox/Nintendo layouts.
i think that's part of what valve were trying to do with their latest update, but they're a little vague with what they're actually doing in their write-ups

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There’s an impressive Windows native port of Link’s Awakening that just got released within the last day. The entire world map is loaded at once, there’s no screen scrolling, and it can run at up to 120fps.

No Linux version available yet, but it appears it’s gonna happen real soon.

https://twitter.com/tdeckverse/status/1734955348065173793?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Detective No. 27 posted:

There’s an impressive Windows native port of Link’s Awakening that just got released within the last day. The entire world map is loaded at once, there’s no screen scrolling, and it can run at up to 120fps.

https://twitter.com/tdeckverse/status/1734955348065173793?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Oh nice definitely very interested in it! Post it when it's out!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh right, here’s a link to the Windows version for those interested.

https://linksawakeningdxhd.itch.io/links-awakening-dx-hd

Trailer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Yakuza/RGG games seem to have their own custom input layer if Yakuza Zero is anything to go by, and the poo poo is really annoying. On desktop I have to start the game then switch on my DS4 otherwise I get Xbox button prompts. And if I have any flight sim controllers plugged in then it just does not work at all.

jokes posted:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there this one of those reverse-engineered rebuilds that sidesteps the copyright issues by not using any of the original code?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Steam's statistics pointing out that like 27% of game sessions involving a controller are DualSense/Sony probably is skewed away from the truth because DS4Windows, considered "mandatory" software, makes your PS controller appear to be an Xbox controller in Steam.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh right, here’s a link to the Windows version for those interested.

https://linksawakeningdxhd.itch.io/links-awakening-dx-hd

Trailer

You can install the Windows version right now, which is probably all that twitter link is talking about. Download it in desktop mode from that link, unzip. Add non-steam game to steam, select that exe. It will complain about missing .net when you run it, click "ok" and download from the site it loads (6.0.25 specifically, if you wanna find it manually). Run that installer with the ProtonTricks Launcher (install Proton Tricks from Discover if you don't have it). Select the Link's Awakening from the list, and it'll install .net. Then you can just run the game from game mode.

This is NOT doing the standard trick for these remakes of distributing JUST the port code and requiring you to supply assets. This is gonna be super C&D'd by Nintendo.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Annath posted:

Is there this one of those reverse-engineered rebuilds that sidesteps the copyright issues by not using any of the original code?

So they'd only have the copyright issues of the art assets and script?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah Reggie Fils-Aimé is taking a sledgehammer to the concrete slab where he buried his guns as we speak, coming back for one last job

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

pseudorandom name posted:

So they'd only have the copyright issues of the art assets and script?

I dunno, how's that Mario 64 port still going? I thought it was all about some way of doing things that skirted around the copyright issues.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Slams through the concrete slab to reveal a bunch of lawyers standing up, looking at him.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Annath posted:

I dunno, how's that Mario 64 port still going? I thought it was all about some way of doing things that skirted around the copyright issues.

Completely different situation - the N64 one requires you to provide a rom and download source code to compile it. This is just the entire game ported or recompiled to Windows, and it's 100% gonna get taken down as soon as Nintendo's lawyers finish whatever other copyright strike work they're doing today

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Completely different situation - the N64 one requires you to provide a rom and download source code to compile it. This is just the entire game ported or recompiled to Windows, and it's 100% gonna get taken down as soon as Nintendo's lawyers finish whatever other copyright strike work they're doing today

Yeah, that's how all the decompilation/engine port things work. Same for Ship of Harkinan and the various VR ports of things like Half-Life and Doom. Just porting a still copyrighted game to the PC is asking for trouble.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

njsykora posted:

Just porting a still copyrighted game to the PC is asking for trouble.
All these decompilation projects are lawfully suspect. It would be one thing if the PC port was a clean room implementation and didn't bundle any copyrighted assets, but these aren't clean-room and pretty clearly derivative works.

What's untested is whether decompilation projects and their resulting PC ports would fall under fair use given their educational and transformative nature, that they're not sold commercially, and that (most) of them require copyrighted assets to be provided by the end user. I think there's enough ambiguity around this that Nintendo doesn't want to test the waters with a potential precedent that limits their rights, as happened with emulation in the late 90s. They'd rather use this ambiguity to assert their rights to keep these things off Steam and other commercial stores, while generally ignoring enthusiast spaces.

But yeah, Link's Awakening DX HD is functionally the same as AM2R so I'd expect the itch.io project to get nuked with a C&D soon enough, and the project may or may not live on underground.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

You can install the Windows version right now, which is probably all that twitter link is talking about. Download it in desktop mode from that link, unzip. Add non-steam game to steam, select that exe. It will complain about missing .net when you run it, click "ok" and download from the site it loads (6.0.25 specifically, if you wanna find it manually). Run that installer with the ProtonTricks Launcher (install Proton Tricks from Discover if you don't have it). Select the Link's Awakening from the list, and it'll install .net. Then you can just run the game from game mode.

This is NOT doing the standard trick for these remakes of distributing JUST the port code and requiring you to supply assets. This is gonna be super C&D'd by Nintendo.

I installed Protontricks and am trying to run the .exe but I get a pop up asking what Wine prefix to run it in and a list of a bunch of Steam games I have installed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gonna download it now before Nintendo kill it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Detective No. 27 posted:

I installed Protontricks and am trying to run the .exe but I get a pop up asking what Wine prefix to run it in and a list of a bunch of Steam games I have installed.

Did you already run the first exe as a non-Steam game under Steam? That should create the prefix for protontricks to find.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Did you already run the first exe as a non-Steam game under Steam? That should create the prefix for protontricks to find.

Yeah, I ran tried to boot it in both Desktop and Game Mode but it doesn’t do anything. It doesn’t want to run the .exe at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, I ran tried to boot it in both Desktop and Game Mode but it doesn’t do anything. It doesn’t want to run the .exe at all.

Hmm, I dunno then, sorry. I haven’t tried it myself.