Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why does anybody use Doordash or Uber Eats or Lyft Carbs or whatever? Even if it's convenient to have food delivered, it seems like it costs way more and the quality is often questionable.

Convenience, learned helplessness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why does anybody use Doordash or Uber Eats or Lyft Carbs or whatever? Even if it's convenient to have food delivered, it seems like it costs way more and the quality is often questionable.

Yep. I've used Doordash or something twice during the pandemic yeah, just too expensive. If a place uses a service like that for delivery, I just don't order from them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

unless I'm misunderstanding, it goes towards the $6 of that minimum order that, if there was no tip at all, the company would have had to pay the driver

Ok I didn’t understand it

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Open source software ui is even worse, have you tried doing literally anything with the GIMP

I use a proprietary piece of fossilized 90s software (PhotoImpact) for that

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It’s literally the only way to order delivery from 99% of the restaurants in my area

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah especially during the pandemic, Doordash and Postmates etc. partnered up with all of the services that started offering convenient online ordering to restaurants (before the pandemic most restaurants had no way to order online or get your food delivered directly through their website). So they don't actually have to sign up or operate within Doordash/Postmates/etc but when an order is placed on their website it gets sent to a Doordash/Postmates/etc driver to deliver it. Not many places employ their own delivery drivers anymore because of this. I guess a lot of pizza places do but even those are starting to cut their delivery driver positions and just rely on the courier services.

This lets them get around the 30% doordash markup on items but you still have to deal with Doordash's tipping bullshit.

And depending on what middleman service the restaurant uses to connect your order with a courier service, they might be getting charged some big fat fees through that middleman too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It’s literally the only way to order delivery from 99% of the restaurants in my area

Yeah a whole lot of places here too.

So in my situation, I just rarely get delivery anymore. :shrug:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've never had food delivered, and certainly not using an app.

Who is happy with those apps? The customer? I know restaurants themselves (at least the couple I talked to) don't like the app ordering services either.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Every time I think about food delivery apps I remember a Reddit post from 4-5 years ago where someone tallied up their orders at the end of the year and realized they spent $16,000 in food deliveries for one year

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

redshirt posted:

I've never had food delivered, and certainly not using an app.

Who is happy with those apps? The customer? I know restaurants themselves (at least the couple I talked to) don't like the app ordering services either.

The guys selling all the data they scrape from everyones phones are probably very happy with the state of things.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I never use them

I have family whose cooking skills weren’t great to begin with but are basically non existent now because they just order everything or eat energy bars

The kids will never learn how to cook, so I guess the restaurant companies will be happy?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: ^^^ my ex-wife's family was like that. They'd get takeout just about every single night. Probably during the day too. They were rich of course. Her dad was a corporate pilot. I, quite literally, had to teach her how to boil water. I know what you're thinking, "no loving way anyone could be that incompetent." You are wrong my friend.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every time I think about food delivery apps I remember a Reddit post from 4-5 years ago where someone tallied up their orders at the end of the year and realized they spent $16,000 in food deliveries for one year

:stare:

That's more than I spend on food period.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 13, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean did they burn the water?

there's internet posts of cooking stupidity that are amazingly low.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gently caress thats more than i spend on rent

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PhazonLink posted:

i mean did they burn the water?

She just didn't know how. I stared at her blankly for a while and said to put water in the pot and apply high heat and wait until it boils. But I don't know if she understood what boiling was.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cactus Ghost posted:

gently caress thats more than i spend on rent

Double my mortgage lol.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Doing some rough calculations here, but I reckon I have spent less than $16k in total on groceries the last 3~ years.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It might have been this very thread, but somebody suggested signing up to deliver for UberEats or whatever, picking up the most expensive order, taking it home and eating it, then uninstalling the app. I keep meaning to do that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

Do not insult Masaokis this way he is an unbridled genius

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Woolie Wool posted:

I use a proprietary piece of fossilized 90s software (PhotoImpact) for that

Yeah, I was just going to say, I’m still using Paint Shop Pro 7. It’s so quick to start up, I can sometimes load, edit, and save something before Photoshop has finished initializing.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Yeah, I remember some thread where someone was making good 6-figure USD and complaining they didn't have any savings, people asked them for budget and they were spending $50-100 daily on Uber Eats.

I don't want to sound like the Avocado Toast meme, but I often see people who complain about how things are rigged and it's impossible to save up anymore and mention elsewhere that they use these food delivery and other services where you pay a disgusting premium. I just don't get it, like it's not hard to just not use these apps, although sometimes I feel like people take pride in that they don't know how to do basic skills anymore.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it isn't even that people dont want to learn to cook. you can eat from a modern grocery store without ever learning to cook, and all but the most expensive restaurants do take-out. that dude's just got some learned bad habits or pathology or something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cactus Ghost posted:

it isn't even that people dont want to learn to cook. you can eat from a modern grocery store without ever learning to cook, and all but the most expensive restaurants do take-out. that dude's just got some learned bad habits or pathology or something.

I would lean towards pathologic given how upset some of these people get when someone suggests that they occasionally don't eat delivery fastfood. Like a child who decided he wants mcdonalds for every meal never grew up.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
geez no wonder why techbros want a an ai god.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The explosion in prepared food delivery is the one thing that brings out the grumpy old scold in me. It's bad for everyone involved except the app company. It seems like a sign of a sick society

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Prepared food and delivery aren't intrinsically bad, we just live in a world where almost every prepared food option is terrible and delivery is run by huge, exploitative corporations. Absent massive profits, delivery should be cheaper, faster, and healthier then what you could make at home as a single individual.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Prepared food and delivery aren't intrinsically bad, we just live in a world where almost every prepared food option is terrible and delivery is run by huge, exploitative corporations. Absent massive profits, delivery should be cheaper, faster, and healthier then what you could make at home as a single individual.

Hence why it's basically impossible to lose money running a restaurant

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

These are the same reason I have never used a “ride share” service

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

We're using this new project management software at work. If you want to change the status of a task you just click a button to move it to the next status, except every time you do it opens a loving popup directly over the button to inform you that you just clicked the button.

So when I want to complete a task I have to click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to In Progress!" popup to disappear, click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to Under Review!" popup to disappear, click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to Customer Review!" popup to disappear.....

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Cerekk posted:

Hence why it's basically impossible to lose money running a restaurant

Unless you're absolutely spectacularly bad at running a kitchen, food is not where unprofitable restaurants lose their money.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

God drat, how did the US Global Entry website manage to get even worse. Green checks with "no errors found" when there is just whole new sections of stuff I need to enter as I try to renew. Luckily for them I payed with the "plastic card" choice and not my bank account!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

is pepsi ok posted:

We're using this new project management software at work. If you want to change the status of a task you just click a button to move it to the next status, except every time you do it opens a loving popup directly over the button to inform you that you just clicked the button.

So when I want to complete a task I have to click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to In Progress!" popup to disappear, click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to Under Review!" popup to disappear, click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to Customer Review!" popup to disappear.....

I run into one of these daily which is a box that pops up and says "Are you sure you want to acknowledge this page?" The use case for this is if you wanted to work on the issue while your pager keeps going off? Yes, please keep beeping, I'm going to go make a sandwich and I don't want to forget? It's insane.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Virigoth posted:

God drat, how did the US Global Entry website manage to get even worse. Green checks with "no errors found" when there is just whole new sections of stuff I need to enter as I try to renew. Luckily for them I payed with the "plastic card" choice and not my bank account!

Global Entry itself is a big premium consumer enshittification

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Love that Ad blocking browser extensions are also just businesses now, they make deals to pass ads through and try to beg users for donations when the extension gets updated or something.

Your whole loving product was created to subvert how websites make money online and now you're begging for it, loving losers

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I don't understand how people use delivery apps.

What's a better system?

You <-----> restaurant

OR

You <----> corporation designed to make owners rich <----> restaurant

Honestly, I look down on anybody I hear gushing about delivery apps. I'm sure there's some useful customers but how the heck did the apps get so big?

Food delivery is also bad because of all the single use items.

Every day 100 box trucks drive into Manhattan filled with single use items, and 100 garbage trucks filled with used single use items drive out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to get my groceries delivered and it kind of owned because it would be a $10ish delivery fee and the items weren't marked up. $10 to save whatever time it takes to go to the store and shop was worth it and I didn't have a car so it saved me a ton of headache and hassle.

These days it probably costs way more though

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

My girlfriend and I went to a tiki bar and wanted to Lyft there. It was a 15 minute drive and $45 one-way sans tip

(I just drank less booze instead)

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
Trying to find a non-Google-assistant way to look for a song that was in a video I watched about Cruelty Squad, albeit uncited.

Eventually found it, but god drat is searching for anything just completely useless anymore.

You want Bulgarian choirs and folk songs? HOW ABOUT CHEAP FLIGHTS TO BULGARIA? WANT TO GET TICKETS FOR CHOIRS NEAR YOU? INSTALL OUR APP. INSTALL OUR BROWSER EXTENSION. MAKE SURE YOU'RE USING CHROME SO OUR SHITBOX JS CAN RUN ON YOUR ANAL RING 0. Y'all kids want some ANALYTICS in your NOTE TAKING APP? TRY SCRONGLEFUNGING TODAY! Here's a popup! Here's a modal! Here's an overlay! Here's a link to our discord! Here's a link to our zendesk! Here's a link to everything you don't want to see and nothing to anything you do want to see - UNREGRETTED USER SECONDS ARE UP UP UP.

Sorry but holy poo poo.

Just holy poo poo. The fuckin' antichrist is here, dude, and his name is BI-elzebub.

Everything is slime and the irony of getting to this point trying to find a song attached to a CruS video is not lost on me at all.

Anyway, the song in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4QGSF3HCSU

Enjoy.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

mawarannahr posted:

Global Entry itself is a big premium consumer enshittification

Yes it is and I'll use that poo poo every time I can to not get stuck in an enshittified understaffed customs line. The last time I used it I was still walking up to the machine when it was like "welcome back Virigoth, go on through" and I breezed right through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I used to get my groceries delivered and it kind of owned because it would be a $10ish delivery fee and the items weren't marked up. $10 to save whatever time it takes to go to the store and shop was worth it and I didn't have a car so it saved me a ton of headache and hassle.

These days it probably costs way more though

I can get groceries delivered for £2-5 same or next day delivery, but I also have four large supermarkets, five small ones and like a dozen little convenience stores within a 20 minute walk (I don't drive).

Deliveries are great if I am buying heavy stuff (like cat litter), frozen food or things with a long shelf life in bulk, but they tend to give you fresh meat, fruit and veg with a short shelf life so it's not as good if you're trying to plan a whole week or more worth of food in one purchase.