Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Alternatively

Steve French fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

what's her @

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

How do you feel about a frunk?

this car is so loving stupid

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ethanol posted:

when you have more dollars than cents

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ethanol posted:

It's an exotic I could drive on any road in Michigan. If I had stupid money, that would be a fun stupid way to spend it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it has less clearance than a honda crv lol. the pic in that post isnt the ride height

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Are mechanic's leins something that must be avoided at all costs? About a year ago, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a vehicle, no tile just a mechanic's lein. I called my local DMV and asked what do I need to buy it and they said I just need a signed Mechanic's affidavit swearing that they took the vehicle in for repair etc and they are selling it. I contacted a friend, whom I can no longer reach, and they said run away. My friend said they know a guy who does title work, even "shady stuff", and the title guy said never buy Mechanic's lein vehicles.

If I do see another Mechanic's lein vehicle in the future, are these really an impossible idea? The vehicle I was looking at was kinda a beater for $2k which is more money than I feel comfortable risking on an unknown title. I'm definitely not wanting to replace my daily driver with a mechanic's lein vehicle, I just a cheap project vehicle/beater. What would be red flags to avoid?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Steve French posted:

Alternatively

Yeah my mind went to the unloved Outback sedan.

After making GBS threads on the idea of an Impreza with a lift kit I will suggest an Impreza sedan with a lift kit. :ohdear: What are the FWD rally boys using these days? Focus? Sentra? Get a sedan version of that and put whatever lift kit they use on it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

FWD rally’s are mostly Fiestas from what I’m seeing. You’d need the manual version though. The auto is not an option unless you love replacing transmissions

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Not Wolverine posted:

Are mechanic's leins something that must be avoided at all costs? About a year ago, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a vehicle, no tile just a mechanic's lein. I called my local DMV and asked what do I need to buy it and they said I just need a signed Mechanic's affidavit swearing that they took the vehicle in for repair etc and they are selling it. I contacted a friend, whom I can no longer reach, and they said run away. My friend said they know a guy who does title work, even "shady stuff", and the title guy said never buy Mechanic's lein vehicles.

If I do see another Mechanic's lein vehicle in the future, are these really an impossible idea? The vehicle I was looking at was kinda a beater for $2k which is more money than I feel comfortable risking on an unknown title. I'm definitely not wanting to replace my daily driver with a mechanic's lein vehicle, I just a cheap project vehicle/beater. What would be red flags to avoid?

I’ve bought mechanic’s lien cars from tow yards before, they just give me a fat stack of court/DMV paperwork that’s stamped and dated and I can register it at the DMV like usual. I think the procedure varies from state to state though, I live in California.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

I’ve bought mechanic’s lien cars from tow yards before, they just give me a fat stack of court/DMV paperwork that’s stamped and dated and I can register it at the DMV like usual. I think the procedure varies from state to state though, I live in California.
I'm in Kansas, not California so I'm sure the laws are probably similar but different. I guess my biggest fear would be the possibility of someone selling a known stolen car and claiming to be a mechanic to sign a fraudulent mechanic's lien, but I'm not even certain the law would hold me responsible in that case.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Are the current Tesla model 3 lease deals any good considering the inventory discounts? In my area it looks like the lowest purchase price is just over 35k which using their lease calculator is either about 300/mo with 3444 down or about 400 with 0 down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr. Lunchables posted:

FWD rally’s are mostly Fiestas from what I’m seeing. You’d need the manual version though. The auto is not an option unless you love replacing transmissions

Oh yeah avoid the DPS6 at all costs

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Are the current Tesla model 3 lease deals any good considering the inventory discounts? In my area it looks like the lowest purchase price is just over 35k which using their lease calculator is either about 300/mo with 3444 down or about 400 with 0 down.

No, they're terrible. If you want a Model 3 just buy it.

edit: the lease calculator doesn't include taxes or other fees and you won't find out what your actual lease cost is until you do the non-refundable $250 order fee. also i seem to remember that tesla makes you pay for taxes up front, so while you are technically "$0 down", you still have to pay a few grand upfront for said taxes and fees.

edit2: at the end of your lease term, the car goes back to tesla. you can't buy it out. you also can't sell it during the lease term.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 13, 2023

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

If Teslas leased better, there’s a good chance we would have ended up with a performance model 3 or model Y. The ID4 isn’t slow, but a performance model would’ve been fun.

As it is, they’re not even pricing in the federal $7.5K on leases. Never mind that the successive price cuts have been driving down residual values.

Makes sense, maybe, but it’s why we didn’t pick a Tesla.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

TheWevel posted:

No, they're terrible. If you want a Model 3 just buy it.

edit: the lease calculator doesn't include taxes or other fees and you won't find out what your actual lease cost is until you do the non-refundable $250 order fee. also i seem to remember that tesla makes you pay for taxes up front, so while you are technically "$0 down", you still have to pay a few grand upfront for said taxes and fees.

edit2: at the end of your lease term, the car goes back to tesla. you can't buy it out. you also can't sell it during the lease term.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. The lease calc does seem to spit out the signing cost with all the fees you mention which is some like $1500 or so. And yes I know you can't buy out the lease which I likely would not want to anyways.

That is odd that they aren't pricing in the 7500 tax credit on the lease though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

That is odd that they aren't pricing in the 7500 tax credit on the lease though.

The federal government gives the leasing company $7,500, they can choose to pocket it or share it with you.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. The lease calc does seem to spit out the signing cost with all the fees you mention which is some like $1500 or so. And yes I know you can't buy out the lease which I likely would not want to anyways.

Have you looked at the Ioniq 5 or 6?

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

TheWevel posted:

Have you looked at the Ioniq 5 or 6?

I have yes, I reached out to a few dealers but they either were not willing to deal or only had high trims available that were out of my price range. I really like the Ioniq 6 after my test drive but they don't seem very motivated to move any.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I have yes, I reached out to a few dealers but they either were not willing to deal or only had high trims available that were out of my price range. I really like the Ioniq 6 after my test drive but they don't seem very motivated to move any.

The Ioniq lease craze was back in October, on 2023 models, where you could snag one-pay 24mth / 7.5K miles leases for under $10K.
2024 models have, iirc, dropped in price, but the rebates are still lower/nonexistent, and the pretense residual values in excess of 60% have been adjusted to something more sane.

ID4 2023 models are the current EV sweet spot in that segment.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Going back and forth with a sales rep and manager on a 2024 Polestar 2 RWD Long Range . Finally got the nitty gritty of the lease deal details. Is this a good deal? Seems average to me. As follows:

Lease term: 24mos / Flex (can terminate as early as 5mos in. )

down payment $0
24-month flexible lease - $52,550 MSRP
8500 clean vehicle lease rebate
Sale price: 44050
Doc Fee - $699
Acquisition Fee - $995
DMV Fees - $424.36 (if we overcharge DMV will cut you a check back)

Zurich Shield - $FREE
Zurich Guard - $FREE
7500 Miles

$500 deposit / down payment + $1,505 fees down

$530/mo

(Money Factor) MF = 0.00169
(Residual Value) RV = .67%

Buy out at the end of the lease would be = $35,208.50

What if any of these aspects should I pushing back on ?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Going back and forth with a sales rep and manager on a 2024 Polestar 2 RWD Long Range . Finally got the nitty gritty of the lease deal details. Is this a good deal? Seems average to me. As follows:

Lease term: 24mos / Flex (can terminate as early as 5mos in. )

down payment $0
24-month flexible lease - $52,550 MSRP
8500 clean vehicle lease rebate
Sale price: 44050
Doc Fee - $699
Acquisition Fee - $995
DMV Fees - $424.36 (if we overcharge DMV will cut you a check back)

Zurich Shield - $FREE
Zurich Guard - $FREE
7500 Miles

$500 deposit / down payment + $1,505 fees down

$530/mo

(Money Factor) MF = 0.00169
(Residual Value) RV = .67%

Buy out at the end of the lease would be = $35,208.50

What if any of these aspects should I pushing back on ?

Are you married to polestar? There’s a leasehackr broker that’s doing dual motor, long ranges for sub-$350. Scroll to the bottom of this spreadsheet. He’s NJ based.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1vLMJ5K1Lq9bxMwhUY2B41SK4N96FYMBxIlHlEctbnUc/htmlview#gid=0

There are a ton of NJ based brokers on the LeaseHackr marketplace, scroll through there before you do anything.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 16, 2023

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Already in contact with him yeah thanks

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Let’s talk minivans, one is most likely in my future for 2024. I am tempted to write off Honda as they don’t offer AWD and Great Lakes control my weather. I did snow tires on a previous car and I don’t want mess with that on a family vehicle. Pacifica has been the gold standard but my brain just says Chrysler sucks when ever I think about owning one. Sienna seems like a giant Prius with a pair motors on back wheels for AWD.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Calidus posted:

Let’s talk minivans, one is most likely in my future for 2024. I am tempted to write off Honda as they don’t offer AWD and Great Lakes control my weather. I did snow tires on a previous car and I don’t want mess with that on a family vehicle. Pacifica has been the gold standard but my brain just says Chrysler sucks when ever I think about owning one. Sienna seems like a giant Prius with a pair motors on back wheels for AWD.

I've driven fwd in Wisconsin for ages without any real issues. My folks had fwd minivans for like 25 years, and I learned to drive in the snow on a fwd Caravan. These were on generic all seasons and I've never been one to swap tires. I wouldn't get fixated on it as a requirement.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

while i prefer 4wd with winter tires, 4wd or awd without winter tires is a much much more unsafe vehicle than fwd with winter tires. do not skimp on winter tires

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The steady march of people into the thread, who thinks that AWD is somehow a traction compensator, continues without interruption. Is this because of marketing? Are laws of physics so widely ignored? Perhaps we can add it to the thread title

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s marketing yeah.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
When we were looking for a 7 person family hauler I took a cursory look at the Pacifica before my wife vetoed the minivan all together. I thought the premium trims were super nice, but the Pentastar v6 was just as underwhelming as it was in the Jeep Gladiator.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I realize AWD does jack poo poo if you are already moving and winter tires are good. I find it useful when attempting to navigate intersections. I got t boned once driving a rwd car with snow tires when tried to make a right hand turn from a complete stop, my rear wheels rolled over ice and all forward progress stopped. It was very fun watching a car come towards you when you can’t do poo poo besides drop f bombs.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

davecrazy posted:

When we were looking for a 7 person family hauler I took a cursory look at the Pacifica before my wife vetoed the minivan all together. I thought the premium trims were super nice, but the Pentastar v6 was just as underwhelming as it was in the Jeep Gladiator.

A underwhelming V6 with terrible mileage seems like the worst of everything.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Calidus posted:

They’re not particularly reliable, either, have a tendency to eat cam followers and then the cam, requiring head replacement. We had two of four Pentastar engines in our fleet do this under 100K miles. And yes, we change the oil every 5K miles w/full synthetic.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Calidus posted:

The sooner Stellanits shoves the Hurricane in everything the better.

It's insane they got rid of the 5.7 Hemi in every Grand Cherokee except as an option for the top 2 GC-L trims when don't have the Hurricane ready to go.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 16, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Great Lakes residents and doesn’t want winter tires? Education required. FWIW I think our Odyssey is trash in the snow with Blizzacks on it while an old VW Golf with snows was unstoppable. I expected much better from the van’s FWD platform + snow tires.

As for the argument that the Odyssey is the best “driving” minivan of the big 3, which is true, that is really splitting hairs amongst 3 barges.

If I were doing it over I’d get the AWD Sienna simply to avoid peeling out every time I take off.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Nitrox posted:

The steady march of people into the thread, who thinks that AWD is somehow a traction compensator, continues without interruption. Is this because of marketing? Are laws of physics so widely ignored? Perhaps we can add it to the thread title

Caltrans has bought into the marketing too.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Proposed Budget: $30,000 max (less is better obviously)
New or Used: Either but new preferred
Body Style: 4-door compact sedan (not hatchback)
How will you be using the car?: This would be my only vehicle, and I would drive it daily for short distances (1-5 miles) but every couple of months I do interstate trips of 4+ hours each way.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, cost of ownership, tight handling, any dashboard screens are not obnoxious, aesthetics

I've owned two cars in my life: a 1998 Mercury Sable that I had from 2007 to 2012 when it rusted out from under me (I was away from home one winter and my parents never drove it, so it just sat in the snow), and a 2005 Kia Spectra that I've had from 2012 to now. My parents bought both of my previous cars and then I paid them back, so I don't have any experience with dealerships or the actual mechanics of buying a car. I first thought about replacing my car several years ago, but it's been easy to put off because of my lack of knowledge (both about buying cars and cars in general) and it not being an emergency.

The Kia does still work. It has 130,000 miles (I've put about 70,000 miles on it over the past 11 years), but it's got visible rust on the panels over both of the rear wheelwells and I've had to do several thousand dollars in (unrelated) repairs over the past couple of years, so I think it's nearing the end of being a functional daily driver. At least, I'm concerned about bringing it through multiple more Midwest winters and long drives; I'm hoping this will be the last one and that I can replace it this upcoming summer. I'm also hoping the car market normalizes a bit more and that interest rates drop a little.

Here's what I think the to-do list is for buying a car, which may be wrong:

1.) Narrow your search down to 2-3 makes/models to be interested in for sanity's sake (in my category, Reddit seems infatuated with the Mazda3 and Corolla; I guess it's a bad idea to buy any kind of Kia now because of insurance issues)
2.) Get approved for an auto loan from your bank
3.) Find cars for sale in your desired make/model in a reasonable distance
4.) Go test drive the car to see if you like it (if not, stop and go back to step 3)
5.) If it's a used car, bring it to a mechanic for an inspection
6.) Negotiate a price for the car, learn the trade-in value of your current car
7.) If the negotiation is successful, sign the paperwork and try to avoid getting-got on headlight fluid

I dunno, all this stuff is so stressful. I would appreciate advice on what cars to be looking at or on the car-buying process, thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 17, 2023

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

New cars I would consider at that price point:
Prius

Other options:
Camry Hybrid
Corolla Hybrid
Mazda3
Honda Accord

Your process is fine. Some notes, some of which you covered:

Don't shop at a big bank, better rates at a credit union, and they sometimes do a check which you can take to the dealer.
Don't get the dealer warranty, it's bullshit.
Don't get any add ons at the dealer, that's how they get you.
Don't negotiate with their monthly payment, just do total price.
Take the Kia to CarMax and get an offer, take that to the dealer and say you want that much as a trade in. It's still something.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 17, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Calidus posted:

I realize AWD does jack poo poo if you are already moving and winter tires are good. I find it useful when attempting to navigate intersections. I got t boned once driving a rwd car with snow tires when tried to make a right hand turn from a complete stop, my rear wheels rolled over ice and all forward progress stopped. It was very fun watching a car come towards you when you can’t do poo poo besides drop f bombs.

You know what else would've kept you moving over that ice? Winter tires.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Nitrox posted:

At least in the PNW it puts you in a different category for chain laws during winter which has been worth it for me, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bergeoisie posted:

At least in the PNW it puts you in a different category for chain laws during winter which has been worth it for me, at least.

Yup this is what I was referring to with my caltrans comment earlier, same deal in California. If you’re not AWD/4WD, you need chains during storms on the freeway here more or less. So for me 2WD is a non starter.

Absent that, if I had to choose 2WD and snow tires vs AWD and all seasons? Edge to snow tires.

Realistically I’ll take both thank you very much, having power to all four wheels absolutely helps and is worthwhile in many places despite some folks feeling like they need it when they don’t.