Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, this was too expensive, eight hour long episodes? That's basically a two season order right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Yes someone please make a Blue Eye Samurai thread, both because I still haven’t finished it and to annoy that person who disliked when this thread was mostly people saying they enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Takes Off

I'll do an OP up in a little bit if anyone isn't working on one already.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I dunno, the next season won't come out for a few more years, isn't that what this thread is for, discussing shows that generate some discussion every so often but aren't long running and frequently released?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The thread for Invincible had a long quiet spell but was good to have when the new season dropped

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Either way, we now have a Blue Eye Samurai thread of our own, so take all further discussion of the show there, I guess :shrug:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Speaking of, the next season of Arcane is supposed to get released...in Nov 2024 :smith:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

le sigh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Speaking of, the next season of Arcane is supposed to get released...in Nov 2024 :smith:

Eh, not like you can rush that kind of quality. Spider-Verse 2 took five years.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, not like you can rush that kind of quality. Spider-Verse 2 took five years.

They shouldn't have rushed it. :colbert:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Blue Eye Samurai is a series that transcends its medium a bit, so it definitely deserves to have its own thread, as a standout TV series.

I feel kind of similar about Scavengers Reign, but I'm waiting for a wider distribution of that before I feel like it warrants a thread.

Really I thought this thread was mainly for talking about the sitcom type stuff like Simpsons et al. But there's so many great animated series of all types these days.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I accidently binged a 6 episode series called Captain Laserhawk on Netflix and I haven't seen it mentioned. Its set in a world where a Universal Basic Income is instituted. I don't remember exactly how but I'm pretty sure the government turned over the contract to a private company, that then issued its own currency called UBI to everyone, eventually the corporation became the government, and now controls everything. This includes mandating watching a particular show or face a fine.

Its basically an animated 16 bit video game. It switches between a bunch of animation styles like various16-bit video games, normal anime, dating sim,1990s FMV cutscene, and even mixtures of them. Hell, Laserhawk is a combination of Mega Man and Bionic Commando. There was also some kind of portal that briefly brought in real life video game characters so Ray-Man is the main media personality and Sam Fisher shows up for a bit. There's also human/animal hybrids that were designed for a specific purpose and used as slaves. The frog from Chrono Trigger is an Assassin's Creed protagonist.

Here's a video of Laserhawk fighting the Power Rangers that kind of gets the point across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rEgfUfeGuo

I'm pretty sure they only show gay romances and sex too.

poo poo's weird and quite dense for 6 30 minute episodes.

I thought it was entertaining but nothing incredible. It does end in a way where a Season 2 has to be already ordered.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc it’s a Blood Dragon sequel and more or less every Ubisoft character they own shows up in some capacity.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Laserhawk was intensely weird. Whenever you start to think you have figured out where the show is going, it grabs the wheel and forces the car offroad through a pile of flaming barrels and then ramps over a pit filled with radioactive waste.

Ultimately, the course changed so wildly I was unsure what connection the first episodes had with the last couple.

E: Also there's no blood dragons and Rex Colt is nowhere to be seen! Ptuh!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rayman is a washed up drunk, it's kinda fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I read that apparently it shits all over the Beyond Good and Evil characters in a weirdly mean-spirited way so I'm good ignoring it exists.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I read that apparently it shits all over the Beyond Good and Evil characters in a weirdly mean-spirited way so I'm good ignoring it exists.

Also watching it is kind of, just like continuing to buy the games it's collectively based on, continuing to reward Ubisoft for its evil behavior as a company that it's never actually bothered to try and remedy after it was exposed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm a few months late I think but I'm finally watching PLUTO and it's excellent.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Warbird posted:

Iirc it’s a Blood Dragon sequel and more or less every Ubisoft character they own shows up in some capacity.

Also Cody Rhodes and Kenny Omega for some reason

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

Like the production for the second game?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tgacon posted:

Also Cody Rhodes and Kenny Omega for some reason

...wait, WHAT?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Gaz-L posted:

...wait, WHAT?

Coey Rhodes does appear for a bit as his wrestling persona.

Like I said, poo poo is wierd and really dense with references and characters.

sensenmann420
Jun 24, 2023
Finishing up Scavengers Reign

Would you guys rather wake up tomorrow on that planet or live in mad max fury world universe earth?

I honestly think I would kill myself

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sensenmann420 posted:

Finishing up Scavengers Reign

Would you guys rather wake up tomorrow on that planet or live in mad max fury world universe earth?

I honestly think I would kill myself

I'd definitely take the alien planet, each area has inverse ratios of Flora/ Fauna vs. other people who are trying to kill you and I'd rather take my chances with the Flora and Fauna.

Edit: really great show though.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Based on the ending it looks like if you can manage to avoid getting parasitized, it's not a bad place to live. The Hollow fusing with Kamen seems to be a one off thing (I'd avoid those fuckers like the plague though), and you have Levi there who seems to know a lot more about the planet through their connection with it, which I'm sure helps avoid stuff like "if you touch that plant it'll eat you", since Levi is gardening and warns people when it's not safe to eat stuff.

Idk if I'd have let Kamen live though, while he clearly wasn't in control he's still responsible for multiple deaths and wrecking one of the few ways off the planet. But if you're low on survivors I guess you have to make do with who you've got.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Tough choice, but I'd go with the alien planet. At least I'll get to enjoy some nice scenery before I die, and whatever happens, I'll have a flower on my grave.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Don't forget the random crystal hellblade storms that sweep through every once and a while.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't drive, so I assume in Mad Max setting I'd have a negative lifespan.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Don't forget the random crystal hellblade storms that sweep through every once and a while.

I'll just hop in an egg sack and fight off a giant bug, nbd.

Honestly not much different from having to shelter from a tornado, just the tornado is made from knives that cut you and turn you into more knives.

Look I'm not saying it'll be easy or idyllic but at least they have plenty of food and water. Mad Max's setting looks like humanity is going to run out of everything relatively quickly and then that's it for the biosphere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah Vesta is hideously dangerous but something like Cretaceous Earth wouldn’t be much different. Mad Max is an earth running on empty

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
In the Scavenger Reign universe you may die terribly but you may also get assimilated into a weird alien being, so ups and downs

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I dunno it's like, do you wanna die of something you understand like murder or thirst or do you wanna die by something you absolutely don't like Vesta. Vesta is way, way scarier.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I Am Fowl posted:

I dunno it's like, do you wanna die of something you understand like murder or thirst or do you wanna die by something you absolutely don't like Vesta. Vesta is way, way scarier.

I'd take the Mad Max environment and associated risk of death by starvation/dehydration, radiation, exposure, nihilistic berserker gang attack, etc over Vesta and the risk of being absorbed, dissolved, exsanguinated, turned into some sort of parasitic thrall, etc any day of the week.

The devil you know and all that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Do we get a free Levi?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It really depends on which escape pod you're in. Levi pod? Hell yeah. Kamen pod? RIP, should've got fitted for that spiked leather outfit.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1731720075164402074?s=20

Carol and the End of the World premiers tomorrow on Netflix. I've had my eye on this one

mystes
May 31, 2006

that's a very a24-esque trailer

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

looks good. wish it was out right now so i could watch it.

i think it's a good trailer. it shows what the movie is like in an intriguing way that hints at what happens but it's disjointed and doesn't explain everything so you want to know more.

edit: actually i'm just assuming and hoping it's a movie.

edit: it is not. 10 episodes...

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 14, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I have no idea how long it's been up there for, but if you're in Canada you can now watch Scavenger's Reign on Global TV's on demand service.

https://watch.globaltv.com/series/09210d56-7751-11ee-8809-0242ac110003

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Animelancholia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Martha Kelly show looks sick yeah. Will definitely be starting it when I have the time.