Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
What the hell factors into Lae'zel passing the check against Voss? Is it influence based? I successfully persuaded her but she failed anyways and the Githyanki attacked me, which was nearly disastrous since that's a tough fight and I'm on honour mode. I survived but it took a second to swing that back my way.

I swear on my previous run I persuaded her and it was fine, so is there some hidden dice roll check she makes with Voss as well or is it just based on how much she likes you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ginette Reno posted:

What the hell factors into Lae'zel passing the check against Voss? Is it influence based? I successfully persuaded her but she failed anyways and the Githyanki attacked me, which was nearly disastrous since that's a tough fight and I'm on honour mode. I survived but it took a second to swing that back my way.

I swear on my previous run I persuaded her and it was fine, so is there some hidden dice roll check she makes with Voss as well or is it just based on how much she likes you?

There's a sneaky automatic deception check that Lae'zal has to pass for Voss to believe you, even after passing the persuade check. Use her gith ability to get charisma proficiency beforehand.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Still blown away by all the people fighting the owlbear.

Just leave, she'll get killed by goblins a bit later and you get all her stuff anyway.

You can’t believe people want to play the game and have fun?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

endgame qustion: is there a situation where you need to use more than 4 characters?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can’t believe people want to play the game and have fun?

It's a dickhead thing to do with no mechanical benefit, that people are apparently doing even on honour mode where it's legit dangerous. So yeah, I don't understand.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

There's a sneaky automatic deception check that Lae'zal has to pass for Voss to believe you, even after passing the persuade check. Use her gith ability to get charisma proficiency beforehand.

That makes sense. Well killing them ended up being worth it anyways since that greatsword is pretty nice for Lae'zel. I figured there must be some hidden check going on there.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Still blown away by all the people fighting the owlbear.

Just leave, she'll get killed by goblins a bit later and you get all her stuff anyway.

not the xp

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

It's a dickhead thing to do with no mechanical benefit, that people are apparently doing even on honour mode where it's legit dangerous. So yeah, I don't understand.

Gotta get that sweet EXP! Same reason why you diplomance everyone before you stab them in the back as they turn to leave peacefully.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Baron Porkface posted:

endgame qustion: is there a situation where you need to use more than 4 characters?

There's no point at which you'll be using more than 4 party members at once without mods, if that's what you're wondering.

You have to bring Shadowheart to the point of no return in act 2 if you don't want her to leave your party, and you have to bring Jaheira in act 3 if you want to save Minsc. Other than that, you can use whatever party you see fit; characters may want to be brought along to specific quests, and may be able to give you specific benefits if you bring them, but you won't be locked out of anything for not bringing them.

isndl posted:

Gotta get that sweet EXP! Same reason why you diplomance everyone before you stab them in the back as they turn to leave peacefully.

This mostly doesn't work in BG3: characters you talk out of fighting you are normally set to not give any XP if you later kill them. Things like the owlbear that you can avoid dealing with entirely are an exception, of course, but it's not like there's a shortage of XP in the game.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 13, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thats weird, Gale won't take the dagger +1 i found. I wonder if its tagged as essental or something.

Also i never noticed there are descriptions of everyone's undies.

Did they change the Gnoll encounter? I remember being able to go into the cave and convince the leader via tadpole that I was their boss and they helped me fight the group. Sweet Tempus, they one shot my party with arrows.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 13, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Just bring them along for their personal quests and a couple of specific spots for ~plot and character development~, but otherwise anyone you don't like can just chill at camp.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

There's no point at which you'll be using more than 4 party members at once without mods, if that's what you're wondering.

You have to bring Shadowheart to the point of no return in act 2 if you don't want her to leave your party, and you have to bring Jaheira in act 3 if you want to save Minsc. Other than that, you can use whatever party you see fit; characters may want to be brought along to specific quests, and may be able to give you specific benefits if you bring them, but you won't be locked out of anything for not bringing them.

This mostly doesn't work in BG3: characters you talk out of fighting you are normally set to not give any XP if you later kill them. Things like the owlbear that you can avoid dealing with entirely are an exception, of course, but it's not like there's a shortage of XP in the game.

You should also bring Wyll into the final confrontation in act 2, so you can do Mizora's quest and get a cool sword!

isndl
May 2, 2012

Thuryl posted:

Was this changed in a later patch, because it was definitely working when I was rolling through things on release. I think my party was nearly level 11 just entering Act 3, but then again I was also farming all the portals that keep spawning more chaff until they despawned because that was also a hefty chunk of experience overall.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

grack posted:

Wait, I'm doing the Creche on Honour Mode attempt 2... does the warfare trainer kick one of the students to death?

yes, although you can intervene to stop it if you want.

On Casters, while you can of course put them in armor if you have the proficiency, from racial bonuses or multiclassing or whatever, it’s not really worth doing because none of those light or medium armors have caster oriented bonuses. In the case of a warlock, you’d be missing out on the best warlock item in the game, the robe that lets you add charisma bonus to cantrip damage; as a wizard or sorcerer, you’re missing out on Robe of the weave, which gives +2 AC anyway and also gives you +1 to spell DC and spell attack.

AC on casters really isn’t an issue - draconic sorcs start at 13; which doesn’t stack with armor, wizards can get the 13 from mage armor; you’ve got the bracers in Act 1 that give you 2 AC - there’s really nobody else to give them to since a monk would want gloves that add elemental damage to punches; and there aren’t a whole lot of useful caster gloves before Act 3.

Then you have the shield spell - even using a level 1 slot shield basically makes your caster untouchable, and you never use up all your level 1 slots anyway.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 13, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

twistedmentat posted:

Thats weird, Gale won't take the dagger +1 i found. I wonder if its tagged as essental or something.

Items that Gale can absorb will be described as such. Generic +1 weapons don't work.

twistedmentat posted:

Did they change the Gnoll encounter? I remember being able to go into the cave and convince the leader via tadpole that I was their boss and they helped me fight the group. Sweet Tempus, they one shot my party with arrows.

I found sneaking up to the leader before the other gnolls notice you works the best.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I didn't really consider the roleplay reasons for avoiding the fight, but I always imagine my guy is just curious about the cave and triggers the fight accidentally even if I'm playing a good guy because I like the combat.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

grack posted:

Items that Gale can absorb will be described as such. Generic +1 weapons don't work.

I found sneaking up to the leader before the other gnolls notice you works the best.

I think they have to be named items, not generic, but act 1 is loaded with useless green flavour items

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It gives XP doesn’t it? Besides, the owlbear had it coming, she ate big brother.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I thought you only got the cub if you killed the mom yourself?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Party In My Diapee posted:

I thought you only got the cub if you killed the mom yourself?

Nope.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Is there certain triggers to getting Alfira to show up in camp for Durge, or is it random? It used to happen pretty much right away, but I've done like, 5 long rests in a row and haven't had her show up yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lord Bude posted:

I think they have to be named items, not generic, but act 1 is loaded with useless green flavour items

Yea, I fed him that pendant that lets you cast dancing lights. I don't need that at all.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I feel like you should be locked out from getting the cub if you kill the mama. Or, you should get the cub but there should be long dialogue sequences where he talks about how much he loved her and share fond memories with you ignorant of the fact that you murdered her you monster.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

unattended spaghetti posted:

I feel like you should be locked out from getting the cub if you kill the mama. Or, you should get the cub but there should be long dialogue sequences where he talks about how much he loved her and share fond memories with you ignorant of the fact that you murdered her you monster.

The cub explicitly didn't like her that much. The cub had a brother at one point that that the mom ate cause she was really hungry, and two mouths were easier to feed than three.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Well I think that if you kill the mother and tame the cub, you should be able to ride your owlbear into battle during Act III

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Sindai posted:

Is there really no way to switch from the pike of returning to your regular weapon without wasting your main action? It seems extremely stupid that you can pull out and throw anything 3 times per round while holding a two hander but swapping weapons? That's a paddlin'

Closest you can come is originally equipping a two hander. They choose throw and you can use anything you want. This is great when you have Nyrula and the Dwarf Hammer and you want to switch between throws with splash damage and throws without splash damage.

Also: it never occurred to me to rush the portal on the final fight? I only go through after I’ve killed everyone else and then the team saunters in together

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Everything cool about him is because hes a walking stomach with feathers.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I brought Sazza into the goblin camp and knocked out Minthara during the grove assault but Minthara appears to be dead in Act 2.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is throw-barian a top tier build?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I threw Kethrics dead dog at him

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

At balanced difficulty levels are monsters balanced to resemble their 5e statblock?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

How could he be ignorant? I did it right in front of him and made him watch!

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I brought Sazza into the goblin camp and knocked out Minthara during the grove assault but Minthara appears to be dead in Act 2.

Yeah you can't betray her or use the "I'm gonna murder you" dialogue option. She has to have the "tempoarily hostile" tag when you fight her.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Is throw-barian a top tier build?

Throwing builds are very good in general, Barbarian is a good base early on but Fighters are probably better overall once they get their third attack. You can just respec to switch classes at that point of course.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I dunno that throw barb attack that prones has proven super handy in Honour mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Frenzy Barbs make the best throwers because their bonus action can knock enemies prone, which is just too clutch for many situations. 3 points in Thief will also get you an extra bonus action so you can use it on turn 1.

isndl
May 2, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

I dunno that throw barb attack that prones has proven super handy in Honour mode.

Sure, but when you Action Surge for an extra three throws on the first turn you can outright kill things instead, which is the better form of crowd control. Use that bonus action jumping to reposition and get high ground advantage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I swear that Duergar boat fight is always one of the most dangerous in the game for me. Almost wiped because the Duergar had higher initiative and kicked two of my party members to their deaths before I could even go. Took a lot of finagling to get out of that one.

Luckily Eldritch Blast is equally adept at knocking those assholes to their doom so I quickly evened the odds.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That fight is why I always carry a couple of knockback arrows even in a party with no archers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Throwing builds are still very good even after their damage was nerfed/fixed this last big patch.

Being able to double-dip a stat for both attack and damage (Tavern Brawler) is really awesome combined with several solid returning weapons and +throwing damage items available. And the prone throw that barbs get is awesome, yeah.