Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Hi thread, Godzilla '54 is one of my favorite movies, but then I watched Raids Again (ugh) and King of the Monsters '56 (ew) and lost steam. My secret shame is that I haven't seen any other 'zillas.

My 2024 resolution is to watch all the movies, starting obviously with the Showa stuff. I watched Mothra vs. Godzilla today and it kicked rear end. Gonna share my thoughts as I work through it all.

See Minus One. It's maybe the closest to the original since the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Raids Again has an interesting idea I'd really like to see a new movie revisit; a monster fight where you aren't rooting for either monster. Where the fight is just a disaster and you don't want one to win you just want it to end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gripweed posted:

Raids Again has an interesting idea I'd really like to see a new movie revisit; a monster fight where you aren't rooting for either monster. Where the fight is just a disaster and you don't want one to win you just want it to end.

Isn't that basically just most of the Heisei and Millennium era films though?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda? Godzilla’s definitely more of an antihero toward the end of the Heisei movies. In Millennium he’s usually a straight-up rear end in a top hat, but you often do root for the opposing monster(s) to kick his rear end. That’s at least true for GMK, Against, and Tokyo SOS. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Final Wars, but iirc he’s at least back to antihero status?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kinda? Godzilla’s definitely more of an antihero toward the end of the Heisei movies. In Millennium he’s usually a straight-up rear end in a top hat, but you often do root for the opposing monster(s) to kick his rear end. That’s at least true for GMK, Against, and Tokyo SOS. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Final Wars, but iirc he’s at least back to antihero status?

In Final Wars he's actively working against the aliens trying to conquer the earth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Godzilla vs Megaguirus he's not really a hero either. Megaguirus is like a cosmic bug horror for most of the movie while Godzilla is just being an rear end in a top hat. Then when the two finally face off the movie ditches horror trappings and gets a lot funnier.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again though; I don’t think this is really an actual trend. G Minus One is strictly a “subtext is for cowards” remake of not Godzilla 1954 but Godzilla Raids Again, where the protagonists are ex-military (now working as commercial pilots in the fishing industry) who get pulled into fighting a Godzilla without the benefit of an Oxygen Destroyer. There’s an overriding (if, frankly, boring) focus on maintaining a ‘normal life’ in the aftermath of the previous film - which includes the protagonists courting women and going on dates and such.

Okay, sure, that’s early in the franchise. But it’s still not at all unusual for Godzilla movies to be about romantic relationships, even if they’re largely about tragic romances or dysfunctional relationships (because those are simply more interesting, and obviously tie into the monstrosity of the literal monsters). Like, Terror Of Mechagodzilla is doing a Forbidden Planet riff where the overwhelming focus is on the father character’s incestuous overprotectiveness towards his daughter and jealousy against the random dude attracted to her - moreso than the awkward, fraught romance itself. But Terror Of Mechagodzilla is still primarily about this psychosexual melodrama.

In the broad scope of the entire franchise, yeah there's romance, frequently quite dramatic and tragic romance. It features in Raids Again pretty prominently in a way that's not dissimilar to Minus One. But it hasn't been prominent since, I dunno, the Kiryu movies? It's been like 20 years, that's long enough for me to count it as at least a recent trend.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Muscle Tracer posted:

Spoiler for anyone who doesn't know any film monsters named Jean Jacket:

Is NOPE a Kaiju film? I think it's gotta be.

If the answer is yes, does that mean Jaws is a kaiju film as well?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

garycoleisgod posted:

You tell me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmbQmQ17X3E

In more words, Jaws is absolutely a kaiju film. You've got a scientist who explains the nature of the monster, a leading man urging people of the danger, a bureaucratic authority figure who is willing to compromise safety for profit and a wacky side character who acts as both comic relief and an examination of the human psyche in desperate situations. You have multiple run ins with the monster where the characters react, plan and eventually coordinate to take it down in a big finale.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 13, 2023

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

garycoleisgod posted:

Yes, and Godzilla Minus One is a Jaws movie. Genre an intricate tapestry.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

garycoleisgod posted:

It's just a regular shark isn't it? That's Man vs Nature not Man vs Monster

gently caress it, I'm posting my chart again:

Mantis42 posted:

This discussion inspired me to make a chart:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

garycoleisgod posted:

I'd say no if mostly because the shark from Jaws is a fairly mundane animal aside from being unusually aggressive, Kaiju need to be more blatantly unnatural than that to qualify

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

holefoods posted:

Raids Again is very bad and I frequently forget it exists.

the monster wrasslin is awesome and the methed out dub narration is a gift

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Arc Hammer posted:

Godzilla vs Megaguirus he's not really a hero either. Megaguirus is like a cosmic bug horror for most of the movie while Godzilla is just being an rear end in a top hat. Then when the two finally face off the movie ditches horror trappings and gets a lot funnier.

sadly godzilla vs megaguirus is also just not very good, probably bottom 3 for me

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
if we're counting american godzillas, my bottom three:

vs spacegodzilla
vs megaguirus
kotm 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Muscle Tracer posted:

Spoiler for anyone who doesn't know any film monsters named Jean Jacket:

Is NOPE a Kaiju film? I think it's gotta be.

garycoleisgod posted:

Seeing it mentioned on the internet I notice Tokuzô Tanaka's The Whale God is considered a kaiju film so I would say absolutely 100% yes to both.

Speaking of which, I have a few issues with that flick but holy poo poo does it have some visuals and is worth watching for folks who post in this thread. What an incredibly bleak film imo even if life is pretty normal for everyone in it outside of like a few main characters' fixation on the titular whale for various reasons. Their bullshit casts a pall over the entire village, almost apocalyptic tone at times and when there is action it has some real momentum.

Also has the rare instance of Shintarô Katsu playing an absolute shitbag instead of Zatoichi.

Anyway, what a flick

If you seek it out, it wasofficially released in English for the first time a few months ago under the title The Whale God, but I think IMDB and some other sites still call it "Killer Whale" which isn't really accurate.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 13, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

my youtube algorithm just has videos of any reviewers that have more than 1000 subs gushing over the movie
and i'm just as entertained watching them all repeat how great the movie is.

all the lines of "i can't believe I actually care about the human characters this much in this movie'

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

is Gulliver a kaiju to the people of Lilliput

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GateOfD posted:

is Gulliver a kaiju to the people of Lilliput

Nah he's just a giant, not a giant monster.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

sadly godzilla vs megaguirus is also just not very good, probably bottom 3 for me

Despite being objectively kinda bad I still have a soft spot for Vs Megaguirus, in that it's basically the Millennium era equivalent of Vs Megalon. The fights are cool even if the CG is terrible in parts, and I dig the "action science" bits, reminds me of the Science Patrol guys from Ultraman.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

a monster fight where you aren't rooting for either monster. Where the fight is just a disaster and you don't want one to win you just want it to end.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Neo Rasa posted:

Seeing it mentioned on the internet I notice Tokuzô Tanaka's The Whale God is considered a kaiju film so I would say absolutely 100% yes to both.

Speaking of which, I have a few issues with that flick but holy poo poo does it have some visuals and is worth watching for folks who post in this thread. What an incredibly bleak film imo even if life is pretty normal for everyone in it outside of like a few main characters' fixation on the titular whale for various reasons. Their bullshit casts a pall over the entire village, almost apocalyptic tone at times and when there is action it has some real momentum.

Also has the rare instance of Shintarô Katsu playing an absolute shitbag instead of Zatoichi.

Anyway, what a flick

If you seek it out, it wasofficially released in English for the first time a few months ago under the title The Whale God, but I think IMDB and some other sites still call it "Killer Whale" which isn't really accurate.

So instead of being a Quaker, Ahab is a samurai?

This looks sick af

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GateOfD posted:

my youtube algorithm just has videos of any reviewers that have more than 1000 subs gushing over the movie
and i'm just as entertained watching them all repeat how great the movie is.

all the lines of "i can't believe I actually care about the human characters this much in this movie'

Im not gonna pretend every godzilla movie has good human drama but at the very least Singular Point and Shin Godzilla are in recent memory and they should watch them imo

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Missingnoleader posted:

Someone (Red Menace) made a version where the subtitle text (for people and vehicles) was just English but its the same sorta typeset as the original japanese one.

Do you have a link to this? I can't find a current one. I have PMs if that helps.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Neo Rasa posted:

Anyway, what a flick

still waiting on my Blu-ray

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

still waiting on my Blu-ray

I think SRS is sending them out in the next fortnight. I've had it on preorder for moooooonths

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

if we're counting american godzillas, my bottom three:

vs spacegodzilla
vs megaguirus
kotm 2019

I actually really liked KOTM as a fun mindless piece of entertainment.

Like, it had awesome multi-monster brawls, and that's always fun.

Also, is Jaws a Strand Game Film? :thunk:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

I, Butthole posted:

I think SRS is sending them out in the next fortnight. I've had it on preorder for moooooonths

lol yeah, they're saying late December. excited

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

drrockso20 posted:

No and Yes.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
ET is a Kaiju.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ET is gross. A weird little turd on legs. I hated him as a child and I hate him now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mantis42 posted:

ET is gross. A weird little turd on legs. I hated him as a child and I hate him now.

Yeah, there's something about ETs design that I find physically repulsive.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say no if mostly because the shark from Jaws is a fairly mundane animal aside from being unusually aggressive, Kaiju need to be more blatantly unnatural than that to qualify

So maybe Deep Blue Sea?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Minus one is quite good but I made the mistake or watching the '54 Godzilla, Shin Godzilla, and Godzilla vs Mothra in the days before going to see it which lessened its impact since all of those are slightly better.

I was surprised at how American the film is in a very Oo-Rah! support are troops Micheal Bay sorta way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is this game any good? Just saw an ad popup with Ultraman DLC. Also has Godzilla stuff from last year with Gigan, Destroyah, Kiryu and Godzilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4O5YFFD_bE

2022:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWMpfRJF5H4

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea it's alright. Fun little party game.

Funny enough you see Gigabash at all the malls here in China. The little places inbetween shops where you can park your kids and let them play a game while you go get stuff always have several TVs with Gigabash. So they must be doing pretty well. Ultraman is one of the biggest kid friendly franchises here, too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was surprised at how American the film is in a very Oo-Rah! support are troops Micheal Bay sorta way.

Huh. I didn't get that at all, just the opposite in fact.

Pretty much the only references to America were negative - their bombing created Godzilla, and they refused to help clean up the problem they created.

Even the Japanese military is basically a non-entity beyond the beginning of the film and the discussion of the Kamikaze stuff. The movie is much more concerned with the culture of WW2 Japan demanding the citizens sacrifice themselves to defend the nation.

Yeah, a lot of the people involved in combating Godzilla were veterans, but they were specifically acting as civilians with no military support, not even shipboard guns.

The military was portrayed as basically useless the whole film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Annath posted:

Yeah, a lot of the people involved in combating Godzilla were veterans, but they were specifically acting as civilians with no military support, not even shipboard guns.

The military was portrayed as basically useless the whole film.

That's what feels so American about it. It's the brave mistreated soldiers taking care of the problem that the cowardly government bureaucrats can't solve by forming an anti-kaiju freikorps.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Someone on r/Godzilla noticed that some of the buildings smashed in Minus One are the same as 54. :o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bip Roberts posted:

ET is a Kaiju.

No he's a Seijin, not a Kaiju.

Also Godzilla is a Dai Kaiju, whereas something like Pigmon from Ultraman would be a Kaiju (it's all about the size).

A werewolf would be a Kaijin.