Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

worm girl posted:

The chances of getting pinkeye are really low unless you are super sickly or are wearing contacts and have nictating membranes, especially because most characters wind up with eyewear on 24/7. It was added as a logical consequence of getting fermented dead people juice in your eyes and for life sim reasons, not really for gameplay balance. I am sure that many players will never notice pinkeye exists.

My overall aim is to make the game more immersive in little ways that don't amount to too much on their own, but add up to create a more personalized narrative experience, thus the farm stuff, molting, and pinkeye.

Future plans involve bile sometimes making your clothes filthy, which you'll be able to resist with waterproof outerwear, dodge skill, or luck (or just using ranged weapons to defeat boomers). I also want to add a mutation that makes you not care about filth, and for it to not bother characters as much on prosthetic body parts. But one thing at a time.

What about the idea of making the player nauseous if bile gets in their mouth, protected against by having some mouth protection? I don't generally like to wear anything that causes mouth encumbrance due to the stamina penalty, but the idea of weighing up the stamina penalty vs chance of vomiting sounds interesting.

e: I didn't realize being boomered already cause nausea.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Every way out of my current area is hemmed in by minefields on bridges (or mi-go towers.) I should go and see if I can detonate mines with rocks, as I got the throwing arm CBM installed and I can chuck stuff pretty far now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh hell yes we are stopping by

YES

https://i.imgur.com/uR7uVgw.mp4

WHEEEEEEEEEEEE

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
What tileset is that?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceRimmer posted:

What tileset is that?

Chibi_Ultica with Larwick Overmap for the map tileset. I appreciate the exaggerated character models, because they provide a good visual hint on whether I'm actually wielding a weapon when I'm getting myself into way too much trouble.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One step closer to working railways

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Synthbuttrange posted:

One step closer to working railways

There's a mod that adds railroads to the game. They don't gen properly yet, so it's currently stuffed into a mod so that people can work on it without disrupting normal mapgen. I think you can even build trains (possibly just by taking apart subways?) and choo choo around.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh hell yes we are stopping by

YES

https://i.imgur.com/uR7uVgw.mp4

WHEEEEEEEEEEEE

I appreciate when the game has touches of whimsy. :allears:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Imagine building your base there. You could go out and ride the little train any time you wanted.

Imagine riding it during a portal storm.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Loping off a zombie's head as I choo-choo by

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

If I'm not mistaken the train will also pulp zombies on the tracks, and you're pretty safe to really, really crank up the speed too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

geeko55 posted:

If I'm not mistaken the train will also pulp zombies on the tracks, and you're pretty safe to really, really crank up the speed too.

you can see a corpse being pulped in the animation :ssh:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

After dying over two dozen times on day one in the past few days of playing, I have determined that going directly into a city before you have any kind of armor is actually a bad idea.

I also learned that city roads have been dynamically spawning hordes of ten zombies at random spaces on mapgen. This probably isn't new, but drat, that changes how I play a little.

I finally bit the bullet and turned down monster spawns to 0.75. my current character has a scrap steel spear and a touring suit and is clearing a trailer park because it's much safer than an actual city.

For more interesting news, we have geography now!

The further north and west you go, the fewer cities and more forest you will find. The opposite is true for east and south.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/69912

Stay tuned for future updates where we get an actual ocean if you go far enough east.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/70070

I think this is really cool, even if it will never affect me because I am bad at this game.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 9, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I like to do most of my area clearing at night. Having the Night Vision trait helps immensely with this. It's a little reliant on the moon phase and weather, but you can get some ridiculous sight range even at night. Zombies can't see for poo poo at night, so it's easy to lure one or two away at a time, back up to outside of sound range of your melee weapon, (ideally into a bush or other movement-slowing terrain feature,) then dispatch the zombies safely. You can clear out even busy towns this way if you do it methodically.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Inglonias posted:

I also learned that city roads have been dynamically spawning hordes of ten zombies at random spaces on mapgen. This probably isn't new, but drat, that changes how I play a little.

Do you have hordes turned on? Someone just brought back static horde spawns, which had been removed for some obscure reason. Hordes now exist whether you're making noise or not, which will increase the overall number of enemies wandering around. If it's too spicy, turning down spawn rates may be bringing it back to what you're used to.

Also not that long ago, Anoobindisguise buffed the armored leather vest and armored leather jacket items. These can be made pretty easily out of leather jackets you can find anywhere, and they're quite good for the early game. IMO it's a solid meta to rush that as it doesn't take nearly as much hassle as handcrafted armor.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
Speaking of early game armors, is it worth it to go for gambesons anymore? The batting feels like it takes a ton of resources, and I usually bypass them for leather or chitin armor instead.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

worm girl posted:

Do you have hordes turned on? Someone just brought back static horde spawns, which had been removed for some obscure reason. Hordes now exist whether you're making noise or not, which will increase the overall number of enemies wandering around. If it's too spicy, turning down spawn rates may be bringing it back to what you're used to.

Also not that long ago, Anoobindisguise buffed the armored leather vest and armored leather jacket items. These can be made pretty easily out of leather jackets you can find anywhere, and they're quite good for the early game. IMO it's a solid meta to rush that as it doesn't take nearly as much hassle as handcrafted armor.

I don't have hordes turned on, no, which is why it surprised me to see hordes on the sidebar overmap in cities. And as I said, I did turn down the spawn rate to compensate.

EDIT: Looks like this is a relatively recent change. That's surprising. I feel that it is now more important for graphical overmap tilesets to render these things. Right now, the one I use (ASCII_Overmap) does not.

EDIT 2: default tilesets have been fixed and will be merged with the next routine tilesets update, which should be tomorrow

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 9, 2023

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
had a weird inexplicable death end an otherwise really solid run, the character was uninjured and healthy, sitting down to craft something in a secure shelter, all needs met. about 30 minutes in to crafting they just...died. like they had a massive stroke or something? first notice I got that something was wrong was when they stopped crafting because they couldn't see (because they had died).

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
First real question, did you disable the Distraction Managers for anything, like pain, hostiles, injury? If not, then this is definitely a stumper, but even if so, there's some more questions.

Was there damage on your sheet when you died, and if so, where? It's possible you were too cold/hot.

Similarly, I think you can starve, so if you were too underweight and didn't have enough calories, that might've killed you.

Were you recently too close to Fungaloids or otherwise got spored?

Are you running any mods where in theory someone could've wandered in and hit you with spells or psychic powers? Or for that matter, No Hope having a bunch of bandits who might've just wandered in and shot you with something bad?

Last thing I can think of is if you had too much sedatives/stimulants/depressants in your system. Even drinking too much caffeine can be a giant problem. I know I've had a few deaths from my character's heart stopping because of too much painkillers or something.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Mountain Lightning posted:

First real question, did you disable the Distraction Managers for anything, like pain, hostiles, injury? If not, then this is definitely a stumper, but even if so, there's some more questions.

Was there damage on your sheet when you died, and if so, where? It's possible you were too cold/hot.

Similarly, I think you can starve, so if you were too underweight and didn't have enough calories, that might've killed you.

Were you recently too close to Fungaloids or otherwise got spored?

Are you running any mods where in theory someone could've wandered in and hit you with spells or psychic powers? Or for that matter, No Hope having a bunch of bandits who might've just wandered in and shot you with something bad?

Last thing I can think of is if you had too much sedatives/stimulants/depressants in your system. Even drinking too much caffeine can be a giant problem. I know I've had a few deaths from my character's heart stopping because of too much painkillers or something.

ah! it's almost certainly the last one, I'd been chugging caffeine pills and chocolate coated coffee beans for some reason. Panera claims another victim.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

watching the zombies wipe out on boomer puke is fun

wanna jar the puke and use it as a slip-n-slide grenade

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thatbastardken posted:

ah! it's almost certainly the last one, I'd been chugging caffeine pills and chocolate coated coffee beans for some reason. Panera claims another victim.

Lol

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

watching the zombies wipe out on boomer puke is fun

wanna jar the puke and use it as a slip-n-slide grenade

I might need to turn its effectiveness down but on the other hand it's way funnier if I don't.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

worm girl posted:

I might need to turn its effectiveness down but on the other hand it's way funnier if I don't.

If you really let players make bile jars, it would need to be toned down, yeah. As an incidental bonus when a boomer spawns, though, it's fine.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I need to look into it's possible to make spilled cooking oil do the same slippery effect because that's something I've wanted in the game since I started playing it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make Superlube be a high-level crafting item from a lab journal.(A)pply it to yourself for a temporary bonus to escaping grabs, or use a jarful as a grenade.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
covering yourself in lube to make yourself ungrabbable, forgetting to wear gloves with grip so you drop every weapon you try to use and your thrown items go in random directions.

does slippery stuff take into account the surface beneath the slip? seems like having worn asphalt not be a slip n slide and linoleum/polished stone/whatever be a super slide would fit with the game nicely

rich areas of town having nicer, more slippery asphalt vs the liquor store parking lot being paved with grip tape

one of these days I'll get my nut up about contributing

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Currently slipping is only possible on what the game considers flat ground (ie dirt, grass, roads, but not water or uneven obstacles where the bile wouldn't evenly coat the ground) but it's much easier to slip if your tile has the ROAD flag, which includes wood floors, cement, asphalt, anything you can easily drag a shopping cart over. There's no granularity beyond that when it comes to terrain.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I added seasonal allergies, SAD, and made it so wolf and bear mutants shed in the summertime, which almost makes them playable. Shedding happens automatically but it can take a few days. You can prevent or treat allergies and SAD with antihistamines and antidepressants, respectively.

Plant and elf mutants photosynthesize again. It's not enough to live off of, but if you're fully a evolved plant it comes close. I also improved the game's logic when it came to figuring out if you had exposed skin as a troglobite or albino, which may make life easier or harder depending on whether you were cheesing it or not.

It all just got merged. I tested this stuff pretty thoroughly, but there's a lot of moving parts, so please let me know if you notice any of it breaking.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Becoming a weird and powerful cyborg wizard mutant is definitely the most fun way of playing for me, so I really appreciate these tweaks and additions and changes to make all mutation paths interesting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Look, it might be the apocalypse, but we're not going to eat like some kind of feral beast

(Rigid Table Manners is a hilarious trait and I'm going to make every single character I run in this game have it from now on)

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5ygmuel9A

Just something I've been cooking up that I thought the thread might enjoy. Check out the description if you have questions.

edit: Huh. It won't preview. Anyway if you click it you'll see some gameplay of a glide ability I've coded.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That looks rad, I really appreciate your dedication to making weird mutated poo poo more useful / interesting

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

worm girl posted:

Just something I've been cooking up that I thought the thread might enjoy. Check out the description if you have questions.

edit: Huh. It won't preview. Anyway if you click it you'll see some gameplay of a glide ability I've coded.

Aren't you also the one who wrote the recent vehicle storage PR? If so, you've been busy and I envy your skills with this codebase, because looking at it myself gives me a drat headache.

If this is a case of mistaken identity, ignore my ramblings.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I am. I had no code experience before I started poking at this game but now I'm starting to get it.

I have several projects sitting around. The new lab is like 75% done but making maps is sooo hard.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 23, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

worm girl posted:

Awesome. One thought I have is that it looks like you don't really have any control over it and it just goes, which would be fine for almost all cases but would that make flying off a windmill a crapshoot? I wonder if it'd be possible to make it work like vehicles at high speed, where the game occasionally pauses to let you adjust the direction a bit.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The only way to do it would be via a popup menu which would be annoying. You can turn up the number of Z levels you can see in your debug options, or just not basejump off of gigantic things :V

Bats will get a trait to stick to vertical surfaces they fly into, since they're good climbers. I will probably also make it so that anyone with wings will treat falls as if they're one z level less, meaning that a one z level fall will be harmless. Should avert most of the issues.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Tomato plays a heavily-modded sky island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FayOTIJCnis

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Anyone know why my debug menu just has one option - Info ?

I'm about to die and I really don't want to lose this character.

Also I've assigned debug to a key (`) but there's no real options there. Just DF_*insert thing*

Faithless fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Faithless posted:

Anyone know why my debug menu just has one option - Info ?

I'm about to die and I really don't want to lose this character.

Also I've assigned debug to a key (`) but there's no real options there. Just DF_*insert thing*

I believe this happens because you haven't set a key bind to the debug menu. If you do that, the other options should appear.