Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griz
May 21, 2001

KomradeX posted:

Besides drones, I'm sure it'll gently caress up a helicopter or an A-10 pretty well

the Italian thing can shoot down anti-ship missiles and now they have a guided shell with 40km range

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTO_Melara_76_mm?useskin=vector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Griz posted:

now they have a guided shell with 40km range

it keeps happening!!!!

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Danann posted:

Everyone around her attended the same classes and had the same employment experience and read the same writings. Shaking it off requires someone to be a complete weirdo who does something like read Marx instead of the blob of credentialed, expert neoliberals riding on the wave of the end of history.

if you do that you lose your place on the ladder

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

Everyone around her attended the same classes and had the same employment experience and read the same writings. Shaking it off requires someone to be a complete weirdo who does something like read Marx instead of the blob of credentialed, expert neoliberals riding on the wave of the end of history.

Nobody wants to be the first to stop feeding at the trough. Especially as it won't be refilled.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isn't she three quarters Yank or something?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what if, instead of going up against countries that would destroy it, america set its sights on conquering europe? I don't think the us would lose ww3 if ww3 were the us against britian and maybe portugal or france

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1734407974217560308

it will turn out that the tanks that still have active engine production can be counted on two hands and they're either russian or chinese tanks

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

THINGS ARE GREAT

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craighooper/2023/12/12/facing-a-navy-wide-sailor-shortage-uss-ford-sheds-500-600-crew/

In the face of a massive shortage of Navy sailors, America’s newest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), has downsized, cutting the crew aboard by hundreds of sailors.

The cuts appear to be deep and dramatic. Over the past six months to a year, some 500 to 600 sailors have left the USS Ford and not been replaced. In fact, the USS Ford has shed so many crew members that the ship’s company (core crew members that operate the vessel) is now below the Ford-class Carrier Program’s original Acquisition Program Baseline objective of 2,391 billets—a goal set back in 2004 that many observers considered unrealistic.

In an emailed statement attributed to the commanding officer of the USS Ford, Captain Rick Burgess, the carrier is now “home to approximately 4,070 sailors: 2,380 ship’s company, 1,550 assigned to Carrier Wing EIGHT, and 140 embarked with Carrier Strike Group TWELVE and Destroyer Squadron TWO staffs.”

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sailors love being on these undermanned ships btw, great conditions for peacetime readiness and fighting ww3

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Can anyone recommend any good military histories of the Iraq and/or Afghan wars? Besides Blowback I guess. It seems like most texts on the subject are some combination of written while the wars were still going on, written by neocons, or are simple histories of individual operations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

Sailors love being on these undermanned ships btw, great conditions for peacetime readiness and fighting ww3

IIRC intake into the PLA is fiercely competitive due to generous financial incentives

now think about the layers of ironies between the lands of contrasts

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

sum posted:

Can anyone recommend any good military histories of the Iraq and/or Afghan wars? Besides Blowback I guess. It seems like most texts on the subject are some combination of written while the wars were still going on, written by neocons, or are simple histories of individual operations.

there was no coherent strategy or political decision making except to win more battles, so just read all the histories of individual operations

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

there was the vague idea from the PNAC that if they conquered Iraq and then Iran then something something American Century! Take that China!

This is why they were always surly about having to bother with Afghanistan. It wasn’t part of the plan man

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

Most texts on the subject are some combination of written while the wars were still going on, written by neocons, or are simple histories of individual operations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

It's all fun and games until your navigator gets sick and there isn't a spare one to fly in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

there was the vague idea from the PNAC that if they conquered Iraq and then Iran then something something American Century! Take that China!

This is why they were always surly about having to bother with Afghanistan. It wasn’t part of the plan man

I wonder if there's a through-line from The Great Game and Heartland Theory to PNAC

Because once you've beaten Soviet Russia and taken Iraq and Iran (and Afghanistan), then that's a big chunk of the World Island

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1734407974217560308

it will turn out that the tanks that still have active engine production can be counted on two hands and they're either russian or chinese tanks

Western tanks are archeotech or lostech, take your pick.

No guarantee of quality implied.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
it isn't half bad. indeed, its 4% away from it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Take your best guess:

Manpower shortages
Airframe issues
Just not up to the skill level of previous decades
Box tick officers
etc

brokenwookie
Apr 13, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

it isn't half bad. indeed, its 4% away from it

I'm reading it as much worse; 2,500 sorties in 9 weeks (63 days.) Navy's goal of 4,800 in 30 days (~ 4 weeks.)
Half as many in twice the time?

THINGS ARE GREAT! Record breaking performance alright.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
does the F-35 still have that weird system where gigantic strike planning files have to be manually downloaded onto local computers/into airframes at like 1mb/s

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tatankatonk posted:

does the F-35 still have that weird system where gigantic strike planning files have to be manually downloaded onto local computers/into airframes at like 1mb/s

i don’t know

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tatankatonk posted:

1 mb/s isn't too bad but I speak from a long memory on terrible download speeds. Let's just say I treasure my current hardline of fibre optic while maintaining a backup wireless ready to go.

If file sizes are an issue I'd be smacking the planners around the head a bit and explaining what brevity means and how the current people on the kitchen roster would love some time off.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn't she three quarters Yank or something?

Literally from a line of southern slave-owning aristocracy iirc.

DancingShade posted:

Take your best guess:

Manpower shortages
Airframe issues
Just not up to the skill level of previous decades
Box tick officers
etc

These kinds of tests are easy, just colour in the "all of the above" option every single time.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 11:14 on Dec 13, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

These kinds of tests are easy, just colour in the "all of the above" option every single time.

I can see you've been through these a few times. Correct!

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

tatankatonk posted:

Eurofighter is a bit like this as well. It can take a fair while to load mission and map data - I spent countless hours shivering in a cold HAS on night shift hunched over a ruggedised Windows XP terminal getting the designated flyers ready for the next morning.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Cookie Cutter posted:

Eurofighter is a bit like this as well. It can take a fair while to load mission and map data - I spent countless hours shivering in a cold HAS on night shift hunched over a ruggedised Windows XP terminal getting the designated flyers ready for the next morning.

Wha.. what happens if they need to fly in 10 minutes?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Double posting tech on the finest of American hardware :patriot:

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Wha.. what happens if they need to fly in 10 minutes?

In the UK there is a dedicated Quick Reaction Force that is kept at constant readiness, it's a 7-day 24hr shift like being a firefighter, you rotate through that every now and again, it's quite fun cus you mostly just watch films, so they are always ready to fly.

The stuff I mentioned above is for flying that is scheduled in advance, it's the large packages like terrain data for the ground following radar and things that aren't usually changing daily. If you get deployed somewhere you would need to do that only once or twice on arrival, then the pilot will walk out with his own cassette which has the individualized mission-critical secret data for that sortie.

- then if you are in an actual warzone they will recreate the QRF setup in whatever airbase you have ended up flying out of, so they have one or two designated jets and ready to respond to urgent stuff with pilots and groundcrew on standby, and the rest of the jets operating to a known flight schedule that is under continual review. If there's a large data update required in that case, it will get rotated through one jet at a time, so you always have flyers available.

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 12:06 on Dec 13, 2023

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
hmmm

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1734560530700910954?t=G6gIU2QadllSYINVScB00Q&s=19

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

That's great and all but I still don't believe Bulgaria is a real place.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

DancingShade posted:

That's great and all but I still don't believe Bulgaria is a real place.

stopped being a real place when krum died

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bulgaria switched sides late in 1944, figures.

e: Though a monument to the Red Army would still be a monument to their own soldiers that liberated Greece and Yugoslavia from the Wehrmacht, no?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cookie Cutter posted:

In the UK there is a dedicated Quick Reaction Force that is kept at constant readiness, it's a 7-day 24hr shift like being a firefighter, you rotate through that every now and again, it's quite fun cus you mostly just watch films, so they are always ready to fly.

The stuff I mentioned above is for flying that is scheduled in advance, it's the large packages like terrain data for the ground following radar and things that aren't usually changing daily. If you get deployed somewhere you would need to do that only once or twice on arrival, then the pilot will walk out with his own cassette which has the individualized mission-critical secret data for that sortie.

- then if you are in an actual warzone they will recreate the QRF setup in whatever airbase you have ended up flying out of, so they have one or two designated jets and ready to respond to urgent stuff with pilots and groundcrew on standby, and the rest of the jets operating to a known flight schedule that is under continual review. If there's a large data update required in that case, it will get rotated through one jet at a time, so you always have flyers available.

so wait, it’s now impossible to scramble more than a jet or two at like 5 minutes notice?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so wait, it’s now impossible to scramble more than a jet or two at like 5 minutes notice?

Scrambling more jets has to go into the next sprint, sorry.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Frosted Flake posted:

e: Though a monument to the Red Army would still be a monument to their own soldiers that liberated Greece and Yugoslavia from the Wehrmacht, no?

A monument to the Red Army in Ukraine is also still a monument to the many millions of Ukrainian Soviet soldiers who fought in the war, but let's take a look what's going on over there!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Yugoslavia liberated itself.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's the UK: we don't HAVE more than a jet or two available anyway, so it doesn't make a deal of difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cookie Cutter posted:

you got to be loving joking me