Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
julia louis dreyfus is gonna get crazy in the thunderbolts movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I think they shouldn't do World War Hulk because every time Marvel tries to include some big real world element (a pandemic, a conflict with Russia, perhaps a world war) it ends up happening in the real world and they have to chop up the plot of the thing post facto in a way that makes the final product worse. We're close enough to WW3 right now that we don't need them spinning up the lathe of heaven.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

site posted:

julia louis dreyfus is gonna get crazy in the thunderbolts movie

Was this written by Warren Ellis because if it wasn't, someone's stolen his voice

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jackson Lanzing and Colin Kelly. They just wrapped up their way too short run on Captain America and now they're writing a Thunderbolts book about Bucky putting together a team to finally put the Red Skull down for good. They're also writing a really fun Guadians of the Galaxy book at the moment too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I actually don't care much for Guardians but their Cap run ruled and Thunderbolts picks right up from it and also rules.

They're also writing Outsiders at DC which is just Planetary so you're probably not wrong about Ellis being an influence.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Making Sharon the new Destroyer was a great move and she's awesome with that power set/identity.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
By "the gods of the 20th century" she's talking about that group of weirdos in the last Cap run that masterminded every major upheaval in the world in the 1900's, right?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I actually don't care much for Guardians but their Cap run ruled and Thunderbolts picks right up from it and also rules.

They're also writing Outsiders at DC which is just Planetary so you're probably not wrong about Ellis being an influence.

Amazon blurb posted:

And just wait until you meet the Third Man

Good lord, you really weren't kidding.

Also when I thought I had this month's comic purchases locked in, you do this... my poor wallet...

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is kind of interesting look back at the history of Punisher (2004). I have a soft spot in my heart for this movie and for Thomas Jane, a guy I always liked, but never seemed to reach his full potential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtGQGG0DQk

Of note, missing out on a Walter Hill directed sequel seems like a super missed opportunity. Also, Having the budget slashed nearly in half did the end product no favors.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CzarChasm posted:

This is kind of interesting look back at the history of Punisher (2004). I have a soft spot in my heart for this movie and for Thomas Jane, a guy I always liked, but never seemed to reach his full potential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtGQGG0DQk

Of note, missing out on a Walter Hill directed sequel seems like a super missed opportunity. Also, Having the budget slashed nearly in half did the end product no favors.

That game was great. Its was extremely brutal especially for the time.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

Same. I still have really enjoy the movie and the way it was. I liked Jane's more methodical revenge than straight up killing people*

I hated Punisher: War Zone. Thought it was just so bad

*Netflix Punisher ruled hard

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punisher War Zone is the best marvel movie

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Except for the whole thing where one of the actors was a sex creep (Doug Hutchison married a 16 year old girl when he was 51.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah bad people made it but it’s still my favorite. I don’t even like Lexi Alexander much because she’s such a loving nut on twitter. But I can’t not love watching Ray Stevenson destroying peoples faces. Or every scene with dominic west as jigsaw. A+ cinema

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

War Zone whips rear end and I don't know who this Doug guy is and also very nearly every celebrity is a shrieking grotesque with evil opinions and behaviors

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know if "actually it's fine because other people are just as bad" is a particularly novel or good take

like you could have just said you liked the movie anyway without the weird justification

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm sure the person is loving gross and terrible, but I have no idea who they are, and I really don't keep a running tally of every supporting cast member I've ever seen who should be in jail because it's just too many people is all I'm trying to get at. It just feels very tiresome to respond to people who are like "I enjoyed this old movie" with "oh well I didn't and did you know you shouldn't because there's a bad person in it somewhere :smuggo:"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know if "actually it's fine because other people are just as bad" is a particularly novel or good take

like you could have just said you liked the movie anyway without the weird justification

TBH

“movie rocks”
“Movie has bad people in it, checkmate”

loving sucks and is annoying. Trying to guilt trip me out of my enjoyment lmao 😂

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
He also married that kid years after he was barely in War Zone so they might not have known he was a creep at the time.

That being said Punisher War Zone loving sucked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah! You should feel bad for liking it for numerous reasons, that's just an extra one.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i thought i stepped in poo poo the other day but it was aquaman 2 tickets

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

^burtle posted:

i thought i stepped in poo poo the other day but it was aquaman 2 tickets

https://twitter.com/DavyBirth/status/1734438766515810326

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We saw the trailer for it before The Marvels and my wife was like "Why would they put a shirt on him? That's the only reason anyone would want to see this."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lol already a meme

https://twitter.com/eliethesecond/status/1734610777456435586

E: https://twitter.com/zilladraw/status/1734636466611925385

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah! You should feel bad for liking it for numerous reasons, that's just an extra one.

You should feel bad for not liking the best comic book film ever made.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder what Stephen King thinks about Aquaman 2

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jason Momoa will jump off the screen and punch you in 3D, unlike Ezra Miller who will show up to your screening and punch you in real life.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

You should feel bad for not liking the best comic book film ever made.

We weren't talking about Josie and the Pussycats.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I wonder what Stephen King thinks about Aquaman 2

Has Stephen King ever done anything superhero related? Creepshow was definitely inspired by old horror comics but I can't think of King doing anything cape related.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

MH Knights posted:

Has Stephen King ever done anything superhero related? Creepshow was definitely inspired by old horror comics but I can't think of King doing anything cape related.

John Coffey was a superhero

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

MH Knights posted:

Nope. Not that I’m aware of and I read almost all of his output for years. The closest he’s come is adaptations of his prose works in comics format.

He has spoken about liking superhero comics; Im pretty sure he called out Spider-man, Batman, and The Hulk as favorites.

Edit: apparently he scripted part of a charity issue of the X-men in the 80’s for aid to Ethiopia?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 13, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Roland's ka-tet literally fights Doombots
:goonsay:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

MH Knights posted:

Dr. Sleep is pretty close. Super-powered man fighting vampires.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I think everyone is forgetting that King wrote and directed a film with the Green Goblin in it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Edit: apparently he scripted part of a charity issue of the X-men in the 80’s for aid to Ethiopia?

George R. R. Martin wrote a page or two for that as well, along with Stan Lee, Alan Moore, Harlan Ellison, and a dozen other names.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Soul Glo posted:

Dr. Sleep is pretty close. Super-powered man fighting vampires.

The Dead Zone too.

Man spends years in a coma, wakes up with the ability to see the future, and uses it to fight an evil Senator due to become an evil President.

The SyFy adapation leant even more into the superhero genre too from what I remember.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah I almost said TDZ but Johnny doesn’t actually do much superheroing. He just has the one guy he wants to stop. Danny actually has multiple baddies he has to dispatch.

It’s been so long since I’ve read either. I remember I was depressed about Trump in 2016 so I threw myself into a few books to escape and picked TDZ and wouldn’t you know it that the bad guy in TDZ is Basically Trump.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Insomnia is 100% a superhero story

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah I almost said TDZ but Johnny doesn’t actually do much superheroing. He just has the one guy he wants to stop. Danny actually has multiple baddies he has to dispatch.

It’s been so long since I’ve read either. I remember I was depressed about Trump in 2016 so I threw myself into a few books to escape and picked TDZ and wouldn’t you know it that the bad guy in TDZ is Basically Trump.

I think it was the Onion, but one of the parody news sites did a great ongoing 'story' about how the ending of TDZ would play out in our modern political landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reminds me of that Onion article that was just recounting the ending of The Fugitive