Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of video game trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0

This looks like a very accurate recreation of Florida (and it's all in-engine).

To the point that every single bit that doesn't involve the main characters is a reference to an actual Florida related event/viral post:

https://kotaku.com/grand-theft-auto-6-gta-florida-man-real-life-references-1851077498

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Qp5pL3ovA

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A third trailer for a movie I am excited about, clearly I should avoid it because it'll spoil too much!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

On one hand yes, on the other - how else could I discover that particular hooks in a Dune trailer can literally bring me to tears?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm shaking. Goddamn.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Third trailers are always plot-heavy.

Listen if you can avoid watching this then maybe you'd keep your hand in the box. I'm an animal apparently. I'm going frame by frame

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

ozmunkeh posted:

That's quite the understatement. The books are basically unfilmable though.

Much like Under the Skin, another weird unfilmable sci fi novel, it was better off being its own thing. The other books were never going to get adapted anyway and it still preserves the atmosphere and eeriness of the book while not being a slave to the source material. I love them all.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Between this and Furiosa, it's going to be a good year for running in the dust. And for good reason, it makes movement way cooler like cigarette smoke used to do.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fall Guy too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

kiimo posted:

Fall Guy too

I'm so glad Fall Guy got pushed to May. It has such "summer movie" vibes and releasing it in March was a baffling choice.

Also, it would have gotten its lunch eaten by Dune just like MI7 had happen from Oppenheimer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dune owns March now and Fall Guy's new date is so good we're worried some other film might still move into the slot and push us out

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

Dune owns March now and Fall Guy's new date is so good we're worried some other film might still move into the slot and push us out

Is there anything in the periphery that would even want to move then?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

kiimo posted:

I hope not. May is such a great time for it.

Quiet Place is in June and I don't see that moving.
Another Bad Boys film is supposedly coming in June and that's another I don't see moving.

Furiosa and the new Planet of the Apes are both releasing at the end of May, so those two will be fighting each other, but at least it gives Fall Guy a three week uncontested run.

But yeah, at this point, I don't see anything moving up anymore.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there anything in the periphery that would even want to move then?

I dunno it's the wild wild west with release dates right now because of the strikes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The wiki wiki wild wild Wild West?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sir Kodiak posted:

And, sure, there's nothing wrong with a show ignoring actual science to make something more fun. Star Wars would not be improved by realistic spaceships. But then Star Wars isn't a ponderous exploration of the philosophy of the physics of spaceship engines.

The shallowness of Star Wars' sci-fi is a big part of why it's hard to write compelling stories for.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remember in the 90s seeing online that an actual religion was being formed based on Star Wars and I always wondered about the turbo nerds who joined that and then watched Phantom Menace when their religion was blown to poo poo by midichlorians

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

kiimo posted:

I remember in the 90s seeing online that an actual religion was being formed based on Star Wars and I always wondered about the turbo nerds who joined that and then watched Phantom Menace when their religion was blown to poo poo by midichlorians

Wasn't that just people putting 'Jedi' as their religion on the census as a joke and it ending up the sixth biggest religion in the UK?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CeeJee posted:

Wasn't that just people putting 'Jedi' as their religion on the census as a joke and it ending up the sixth biggest religion in the UK?

It happened here in Australia as well

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No this wasn't that. It was newsgroups announcing a big new religion.

Kind of like Goon Island it was destined to be a hilarious failure. Like I'm pretty sure it was the Special Editions that took the wind out of the sails. 95 was a wild time on the internet.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lmao at the Sardukar that sees all the sandworms and just points his sword at them like "bring it, bitches!"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The music :allears:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDyQxtg0V2w

Huh, he really is going back to pulpier action rather than another cerebral sci-fi. Well, Dredd ruled so I'll give it a shot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Texas California alliance? Might as well add aliens and time travel that’d be more realistic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDyQxtg0V2w

Huh, he really is going back to pulpier action rather than another cerebral sci-fi. Well, Dredd ruled so I'll give it a shot.

Prequel to Garland's Dredd.

Interesting to see the odd couple pairing of California and Texas being the rebel states.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That looks kinda abhorrent?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Prequel to Garland's Dredd.

Interesting to see the odd couple pairing of California and Texas being the rebel states.

You can see a map at 0:41 showing the divided states. You have CA/TX, Minnesota and the rest of the northern west states, and Florida with the southern states up to (but not) Texas.

Just ridiculous. The Great Lakes alliance would bail first chance they get.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Texas California alliance? Might as well add aliens and time travel that’d be more realistic.

Yeah, came here to post something similar. That said, it looks like Ron Swanson finally figured out a way to take down the government.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The politics of this are going to be cringeworthy at best, aren't they?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I guess Texas has had a lot of people moving from California in recent years. Still an absurd pairing.

That map seems pretty clueless about US regional cultures and politics in general.

But eh, I’m gonna give him a chance.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GrandpaPants posted:

The politics of this are going to be cringeworthy at best, aren't they?

There's good guys and bad guys on both sides. The real enemy is when we let ourselves loose decorum. Etc.

It'll probably end with Offerman's President being publicly executed and everyone being sad because they made a difference but in a bad way.

Now sit back down and accept your lot in life even as things get worse and worse every day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm no American, but it doesn't seem all that unrealistic for California and Texas to team up. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right? If they both have big beef with the feds, and the feds are clearly the bad guys in this film, then why not?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It's Garland so I'll at least give him a chance that there's probably an actual reason for it. Either way I guess I didn't expect it to be so straight forward civil war. Will still watch.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
"We have Children of Men at home!"

Children of Men at home:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Shrug, just accept it's an alternate reality USA and not a direct commentary on the current state of America and enjoy a probably quite good movie?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Jesse Plemons being the star coming out of Friday Night Lights is the biggest mindfuck.

He's incredible.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
those are just the two states that people bring up when they talk about what states could possibly secede, yea

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lobok posted:

I'm no American, but it doesn't seem all that unrealistic for California and Texas to team up. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right? If they both have big beef with the feds, and the feds are clearly the bad guys in this film, then why not?

No, it’s an unimaginable alliance.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Just Chamber posted:

Shrug, just accept it's an alternate reality USA and not a direct commentary on the current state of America and enjoy a probably quite good movie?

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I expect it to be some lib politics bullshit, but I'm here for that cast and director. I like that Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons keep finding projects to work on together :gerty:

edit: I didn't recognise Nick Offerman, thought it was Shea Whigham. And why does that highway at the beginning with the abandoned cars remind me of Zombieland?

Carpet fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 13, 2023