Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RDR2's world interactions are definitely something you have to get used to because its easy to make mistakes and everyones super aggro and packing - the controls favoring realism over playability only compounds this, then you add Hitman-style action menu prompts for every single object in the damned world and yeah youre gonna make a lot of fatal or semi-fatal oopsies

the corollary is that after playing a bunch of RDR2 i hopped into Witcher 3 and baby youve never seen a better behaved Geralt, i was giving every townsperson the kinda space buffer you reserve for highway traffic just in case someone called the eternal fire cops on me for stumbling into them or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
HOWDY

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
one thing RDR2 did very well that more games should have is a basic "say what's up" or "say gently caress you" system for interacting with random npcs.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
also 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand's cursing system, which should be a dedicated system in every game

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

one thing RDR2 did very well that more games should have is a basic "say what's up" or "say gently caress you" system for interacting with random npcs.

hitting people with the old 'greet' 'greet' 'taunt' combo never gets old

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

loquacius posted:

I think this is what actually turned me off of RDR2 -- I got on the wrong horse because I was facing in slightly the wrong direction, and some rear end in a top hat immediately ran off to tell the sheriff I did a grand theft horsey and then next thing I knew there was a bounty on my head for sitting on the incorrect animal for about half a second and I had to go to the post office to pay it off

that said though it's at least a little subjective because I have also found myself aggroing whole towns in BG3 because I accidentally hit the Interact button right when the on-screen prompt switched from "speak to NPC" to "steal worthless trinket" and I'm on playthrough #3 of that game

You either like the vibes or you don't. BG3 is at least more conducive to savescumming.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It ain't free

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

loquacius posted:

I think this is what actually turned me off of RDR2 -- I got on the wrong horse because I was facing in slightly the wrong direction, and some rear end in a top hat immediately ran off to tell the sheriff I did a grand theft horsey and then next thing I knew there was a bounty on my head for sitting on the incorrect animal for about half a second and I had to go to the post office to pay it off

that said though it's at least a little subjective because I have also found myself aggroing whole towns in BG3 because I accidentally hit the Interact button right when the on-screen prompt switched from "speak to NPC" to "steal worthless trinket" and I'm on playthrough #3 of that game

You end up getting a feeling for things. I had lots of issues early on with running into people while on horseback, but stopped making that mistake a while into the game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the warhammer game is fun. a lot more combat focused than bg3 obviously but once you figure out how to build a team its ezpz unless your psyker summons an actual demon by accident

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Al! posted:

the warhammer game is fun. a lot more combat focused than bg3 obviously but once you figure out how to build a team its ezpz unless your psyker summons an actual demon by accident

is buffing an issue because what burned me out on the 2 pathfinder games was how combat was either insanely hard beacuse i stumbled into it unbuffed or fairly easy

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

ive solved multiple puzzles in rogue trader and i dont think that ive understood any of them

owlcat's still got it

fond memories of those puzzles in WoTR for nenio's quest that i'm pretty sure literally no one solved legitimately

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jose posted:

is buffing an issue because what burned me out on the 2 pathfinder games was how combat was either insanely hard beacuse i stumbled into it unbuffed or fairly easy

buffing/debuffing is critical but it's actively worked into the combat, you don't have to prebuff or anything

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Epic High Five posted:

I don't mind a lot of pain, the main reason it's got me so down on the game is because my favorite part of these games is exploring every little inch of the world. The rewards for doing so are good I admit but man every choice they made was something that made doing so more unpleasant. I already know what's in this or that room - 3+ enemies with an archer who is literally inaccessible.

I just need a greathammer with some sweeps and I'm sure it'll settle out. Overhead chops are exceptionally finnicky in this game, and with the previously mentioned enemy spam it's a recipe for a lot of weapons being just bad that should be fantastic. The bastard sword has been great but even that keeps knocking enemies back juuuuuust far enough that the killing followup misses.

Don't forget to use the lifegems, DS2 is set up for a lot of chip damage from the enormous number of enemies, and lifegems are how you're supposed to mitigate it.

Unfortunately, the base game is kind of a slog and it's only the DLCs that are incredible.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Them's fighting words mister.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Crossposting from the Deals thread cuz this is kind of nuts. Including evidence of the deal's existence since the link is broken https://twitter.com/RickMesta/status/1734996800023712216

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is the Series S on its way out w/r/t usability by now though

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Do not buy a series S you morons

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

will not be purchasing a failbox

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

xbone series slow

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Do not buy a series S you morons

apparently it's pretty easy to turn em into emulation machines with the XboxDev mode thing but you can say the same thing of an old PS4 and jailbreaking it

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

obviously not endorsing the series S as a primary console, jesus christ

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

apparently it's pretty easy to turn em into emulation machines with the XboxDev mode thing but you can say the same thing of an old PS4 and jailbreaking it

I've got a steam deck already, but, I will say that $150 is pretty cheap even for that considering that stuff like controllers etc will Just Work right out of the box

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Series S is my primary console and it rules. It's a series X that cant do 4k or physical media, but costs half as much, is WAY smaller, and is whisper quiet. Great GamePass machine

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just use a 25 foot HDMI cable to my TV with a Bluetooth controller

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
whoops

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

there is no greater catharsis than walking around being really rude. All games should have this. I think it originated in Bully which I should replay sometime.

I like to do the "horse whistle" in there too. So when people get real mad you just whistle loudly in their face.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"Howdy, partner."

Right-click to greet

My horse immediately steers into the stranger and flattens him.

Once, an NPC got mad at me for "following him" when we both went up the same long staircase. I tried to run away shouting "I don't want to fight you", but he caught up to me and started punching, so I killed him with a single headbutt. Interestingly, I didn't get charged with murder, because the witnesses saw that it was self-defense. Another time, I killed a bandit in self-defense but got accused of murder because a witness ran up after hearing the shot and saw me holding a smoking gun over the mugger's body.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chamale posted:

"Howdy, partner."

Right-click to greet

My horse immediately steers into the stranger and flattens him.

Once, an NPC got mad at me for "following him" when we both went up the same long staircase. I tried to run away shouting "I don't want to fight you", but he caught up to me and started punching, so I killed him with a single headbutt. Interestingly, I didn't get charged with murder, because the witnesses saw that it was self-defense. Another time, I killed a bandit in self-defense but got accused of murder because a witness ran up after hearing the shot and saw me holding a smoking gun over the mugger's body.

Thats the Wild West. There's a reason they didn't call it The Consistent Laws West

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Ytlaya posted:

Thats the Wild West. There's a reason they didn't call it The Consistent Laws West

International Rules-Based West

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Jose posted:

the only thing i've done out of combat is shoot/chainsword heretics

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I barely touch buffs which tbh thank God because I just couldn't be bothered with all that in Pathfinder. I'll give some buffs out now and then but a lot of them are psychic and then you have to worry about the Monster Meter filling up

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zokari posted:

fond memories of those puzzles in WoTR for nenio's quest that i'm pretty sure literally no one solved legitimately

the only reason why a first time 100% playthrough of wotr is under 300 hours long

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've brute forced my way through two puzzles in Rogue Trader so far (electro-church and a planet with some laser podiums). Got some badass loot thanks to both so I guess I gotta say puzzles ftw

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Goals

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Series S is my primary console and it rules. It's a series X that cant do 4k or physical media, but costs half as much, is WAY smaller, and is whisper quiet. Great GamePass machine

I also have an S that I got as a pure gamepass machine and I feel like I've gotten my money's worth from it.

Even with only a Gamepass PC sub, it lets me play the stuff that's cross platform on it as well with cloud saving, and you can download VLC for it and stream files over your network with better support than any other app or method I've used. There's some things I watch with weird subtitling, like multiple subs at different places on the screen sometimes or different fonts in the same file, and VLC supports them perfectly whereas no other streaming app I've used does.

I think I paid like $200 or $250 for mine or something back when I got it and I feel like it was decent value still even though I also have a PS5.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mam these fellars bothering you

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

looked at the clan choices for bloodlines 2 which I think are complete now. much smaller pool and seem p pigeonholed by archetype

Brujah (melee)
Tremere (ranged)
Banu Haqim aka Assamites (stealth)
Ventrue (crowd control I guess?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jose posted:

there are buffs but i think for the most part they are in combat. youre more going to be focused on working around debuffs. if damaged enough at once your character recieves one or more stacks "fresh injury." a medkit has a chance to remove a stack but it isnt 100%. if it cant be treated it turns into a permanent injury, which is a pretty massive debuff

Al! has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Dec 13, 2023