Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Harlock posted:

Will they retain the 3 seasons and done unless you're David Tennant informal clause?

Russel is writing Ncutt's third series now, he's just deciding on the title of the fifth episode apparently. It starts filming in October next year.

My guess is we get at least four series out of Ncutti at this rate, especially seeing as the plan seems to be to film two series close together and then have a gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A lot of the serials that work in Seven's era sort of work accidentally IMO. The Happiness Patrol is another one that falls into this weird mixture of very 80s dystopian, overtly political commentary (with vague fairytale elements), delivered via the JNT Flourescent Fun Show with money they got from a bake sale. I think some of it is that it's less noticeable that a few things may have gotten lost in the translation. Not that I didn't enjoy season 26, but because it takes itself a bit more seriously and tries to create a vague direction for both the story and art direction, you can tell how much better those stories could have been if they'd been given the time and resources to reach their full potential. They suffer a lot more when there are cuts, production interference, or a disconnect between the writing and the direction. Survival is the best example, probably, just because if they'd gone with Rona Munro's approach instead of making muppet masks, it would have been a very different feel.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

PriorMarcus posted:

Russel is writing Ncutt's third series now, he's just deciding on the title of the fifth episode apparently. It starts filming in October next year.

My guess is we get at least four series out of Ncutti at this rate, especially seeing as the plan seems to be to film two series close together and then have a gap.
With how far in advance they're banging these future seasons out, hope there's no leaks of who the next Doctor is when they're filming Season 4 and Season 2 is barely airing

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harlock posted:

With how far in advance they're banging these future seasons out, hope there's no leaks of who the next Doctor is when they're filming Season 4 and Season 2 is barely airing

It's infinitely preferable to filming like two episodes every five years or whatever they've been doing since that split-season happened, at least.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

It's infinitely preferable to filming like two episodes every five years or whatever they've been doing since that split-season happened, at least.

I think we'll get a full series every year for the foreseeable future now. Even when Davies steps back down as show runner the series will be produced by Wolf Studios and overseen by his team.

I think production will slow down a little soon too when the spin-offs get up and running.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Let's not kid ourselves here; if Gillian Anderson said she was interested in playing The Rani for an episode or two, RTD would cast her so fast they'd start filming before the ink on the contracts was dry.
I think you're right, but I think also a conversation will probably happen about whether the title is appropriative, and - perhaps more fundamentally - whether "the Rani" as a concept is necessary once you establish that the Master can be a woman sometimes. What does "the Rani" bring to the table as a storytelling concept that "the Master" doesn't? Weird, eldritch experiments? Master's been doing those since Terror of the Autons and The Mind of Evil. Female character played with camp cranked up to 11? Missy paved the way for the Master to do that too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Warthur posted:

I think you're right, but I think also a conversation will probably happen about whether the title is appropriative, and - perhaps more fundamentally - whether "the Rani" as a concept is necessary once you establish that the Master can be a woman sometimes. What does "the Rani" bring to the table as a storytelling concept that "the Master" doesn't? Weird, eldritch experiments? Master's been doing those since Terror of the Autons and The Mind of Evil. Female character played with camp cranked up to 11? Missy paved the way for the Master to do that too.

The Rani's always been about unethical science for the sake of it, the Master is always focused on dominating the universe/disgusting the Doctor. There's room in there for both with the right story.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Gatwa is a handful of months younger than me (he's 31! That's 5 years older than Smith was!) so while I really wouldn't call him young-young, it's the first time there's been one who was younger than me. But the next one might well be older, I've not crossed the threshold in that sense yet.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Warthur posted:

Just as the Master is the Doctor if he was an insane murdering psychopath, the Rani is the Doctor if he was completely devoid of ethical scientific practices, or empathy for his fellow beings.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

The Rani's always been about unethical science for the sake of it, the Master is always focused on dominating the universe/disgusting the Doctor. There's room in there for both with the right story.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just as the Master is the Doctor if he was an insane murdering psychopath, the Rani is the Doctor if he was completely devoid of ethical scientific practices, or empathy for his fellow beings.

I mean, you say this, but there's two Rani stories in the TV canon, and in one of them (Time and the Rani) she is definitely working a universal domination plan.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Warthur posted:

I mean, you say this, but there's two Rani stories in the TV canon, and in one of them (Time and the Rani) she is definitely working a universal domination plan.

Her scheme in Time and the Rani wasn't about universal domination, it was about changing the course of history so she could control how various species evolved over time. It was one of her usual unethical science experiments, just on a much grander scale.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I think we'll get a full series every year for the foreseeable future now. Even when Davies steps back down as show runner the series will be produced by Wolf Studios and overseen by his team.

I think production will slow down a little soon too when the spin-offs get up and running.

Looking at episodes per series over time and it's a fairly steady decline save for a technical bump up from Jodie's last 6 episode series to the 8 EP next two series.

I'm not asking for 42 episodes, or even 26, but dang at least 13 please.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If only the we got two more episodes of the flux it would all make sense

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

If only the we got two more episodes of the flux it would all make sense

Nick Briggs: Have you considered two hundred more episodes of the Flux, though? Classic Doctors, brand new stories.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Warthur posted:

Both a) what Sydney said and b) if you want to bring the Rani back THAT'S the distinction I'm saying you can make. I don't know that we need them back, just like I don't know if I ever want to see a Tereleptil, a Tractator or an Androgum again, but there's more of a case to make for the Rani than for a lot of stuff in the back catalogue I'd say.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

For anyone hoping Christopher Eccleston might be open to making an appearance in a multi-Doctor story for the new series; at a convention panel in Manchester, he recently revealed his terms and conditions for returning to the show:

quote:

Sack Russell T Davies. Sack Jane Tranter. Sack Phil Collinson. Sack Julie Gardner. And I’ll come back. So can you arrange that?

So yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to turn up any time soon. It also has me wondering just what exactly they did to piss him off that much.

But, there's good news for fans of the Big Finish Ninth Doctor audio adventures, who'd love to hear Nine and Rose team up again:

quote:

Depends on the money! I’ve got a mortgage. Billie’s got a mortgage. Big Finish, it’s up to you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

For anyone hoping Christopher Eccleston might be open to making an appearance in a multi-Doctor story for the new series; at a convention panel in Manchester, he recently revealed his terms and conditions for returning to the show:

So yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to turn up any time soon. It also has me wondering just what exactly they did to piss him off that much.

But, there's good news for fans of the Big Finish Ninth Doctor audio adventures, who'd love to hear Nine and Rose team up again:

I have a ton of respect for Eccleston and the fact he was so disappointed by the treatment of other people that he both tried to use his influence to fix it and then quit, but he had like a decade where none of those people were involved and didn't come back then either.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I have a ton of respect for Eccleston and the fact he was so disappointed by the treatment of other people that he both tried to use his influence to fix it and then quit, but he had like a decade where none of those people were involved and didn't come back then either.

He was asked back for the 50th, ultimately decided that the script wasn't right for the character of Nine, and declined. I don't believe he received any subsequent offers to return, and personally after what he apparently had to deal with working for RTD and co., I don't blame him for being reluctant to even be associated with the show. If he needed to take a route similar to Tom and disassociate himself from anything DW related for a good long while after his experience on the show to preserve his health (mental and physical), then that's what he needed to do. He doesn't owe us anything.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

From all accounts, he was ready to come back for the 50th and then that "You are erased from Doctor Who!" thing happened and, reading between the lines, he seems to have decided that it would be another toxic work environment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

He was asked back for the 50th, ultimately decided that the script wasn't right for the character of Nine, and declined. I don't believe he received any subsequent offers to return, and personally after what he apparently had to deal with working for RTD and co., I don't blame him for being reluctant to even be associated with the show. If he needed to take a route similar to Tom and disassociate himself from anything DW related for a good long while after his experience on the show to preserve his health (mental and physical), then that's what he needed to do. He doesn't owe us anything.

I don't disagree, he can absolutely do whatever he wants or needs to do. Saying they'd have to fire the entire senior production team to get him to return just seems needlessly surly. I guess it'll probably get people to stop asking which was probably the goal.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also this. It's a job. He'll come back to it if the conditions and the pay are right for him. I don't begrudge him doing a bit of the convention circuit and being honest in the meantime.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I skimmed thru a couple of other articles that covered some more of Eccleston's remarks at the convention:

-he apparently felt RTD, et al, were far too willing to kiss rear end and take whatever poo poo the BBC threw at them, just so they could get to make the show (which sounds par for the course, given what we've learned about the D+ deal)

-was mad at the BBC, saying that they wanted absolutely nothing to do with NuWho, until it was a success, then the BBC started claiming all the credit for its success

-basically more allusions to how RTD and co. were perfectly willing to ignore/tolerate/enable toxic behaviors on the set

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Nick Briggs: Have you considered two hundred more episodes of the Flux, though? Classic Doctors, brand new stories.

I had been wondering what the Concorde pilots from Timeflight were doing during the Flux!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This shouldn't bother me and doesn't matter, but I'm miffed they never explained why The Doctor's clothes changed when she regenerated into 14 in-universe.

I thought that'd be part of the mystery. But there was no mystery, really. Even 14 didn't seem too interested in why he had 10's face again.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LividLiquid posted:

This shouldn't bother me and doesn't matter, but I'm miffed they never explained why The Doctor's clothes changed when she regenerated into 14 in-universe.

I thought that'd be part of the mystery. But there was no mystery, really. Even 14 didn't seem too interested in why he had 10's face again.

Not this first time it happened; One's clothes changed when he regenerated into Two

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Eccleston is a seriously right on dude and it is for that reason he's my favourite doctor of all and it is for that reason also that I fully understand and respect that he won't be the doctor on screen again until and unless the production is also right on

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Even 14 didn't seem too interested in why he had 10's face again.

The way Davies's writing works, I think if a character you're supposed to trust says "Do you know what I think?" and Murray Gold's music gets a little sentimental, you can take that as the explanation. What Donna says about him regressing to process trauma or whatever is why, as far as the show is concerned. It definitely feels like RTD processing some stuff through the show he manages, but I actually think that's part of his charm.

What I could do without, and where I think he hasn't grown, is punctuating any bizarre but enjoyable polarity reversal like that with his weird parentheses. There's always a five minute wind-up of whoever is explaining the twist getting more and more excited and saying "Oh, hold on! Just you wait!" and then afterwards, someone always says something like "Oh, that is textbook enigmatic!" or "Absolutely bonkers!" or whatever. It feels self-conscious and, oddly, it worked a little better with his old writing on the show than with his new writing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

The way Davies's writing works, I think if a character you're supposed to trust says "Do you know what I think?" and Murray Gold's music gets a little sentimental, you can take that as the explanation.
I wasn't talking about getting an explanation. We did. But Fourteen didn't seem to be trying to figure it out even slightly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It'd be nice if they upped the episodes per season count if they're so far ahead now.

8 episodes a season is a bit naff

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

That goblin in the music video is a) called Janis Goblin, which is amazing, and b) has red nail polish. I'm just saying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I wasn't talking about getting an explanation. We did. But Fourteen didn't seem to be trying to figure it out even slightly.

Ah, yeah, gotcha. Fourteen was definitely more reactive than curious for whatever reason. One thing that I sort of don't love about the Timeless Child thing is that I always kind of figured most Time Lords can actually just pick how they regenerate, like Romana does when she decides she wants to look like a previous cast member, (and the Master implies when he regenerates) and the Doctor just never got interested in it/doesn't understand it, so instead he's stuck looking like some guy he doesn't even remember from Pompei, asking "Who frowned me this face?" or subconsciously reverting to his glory years upon hearing Murray Gold.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want Janis Goblin to give 15 a coat, but have it be a goblin sized 10th Doc coat - to keep continuity on point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wolfechu posted:

That goblin in the music video is a) called Janis Goblin

Holy poo poo :vince:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Here's the video of him stating this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdjVLqnv_k&t=910s

42:45 for him talking about Big Finish

Would absolutely adore to see him on screen again as 9, but you gotta respect the dude for sticking to his convictions - particularly with everything that's come out over the years about that season.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 13, 2023

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wolfechu posted:

That goblin in the music video is a) called Janis Goblin, which is amazing, and b) has red nail polish. I'm just saying.

Aha! A reference to the female Gremlin in Gremlins 2: The New Batch!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Aha! A reference to the female Gremlin in Gremlins 2: The New Batch!
That gremlin is a trans icon! You show Greta some respect and say her name!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Rani has a lot of interesting character points that are very different from the Master, if played right. There was always the worry that bringing back the Rani they would write her as "The Master, but a woman." Now that we've had a female Master, they really have to go in a different direction, and there's a LOT of story to mine. The Rani is not redeemable, like the Master was. The Doctor has no chance of reforming her like he tried with Missy, because she's so cold and amoral. She would be best played as cold and logical, not passionate and emotional like the Master. She isn't going to spend decades wearing a disguise to get off on a reveal, or set something up as a joke, gloat, snap, get angry. That's a whole different Time Lord.

Her experiments too could cause interesting moral dilemmas. What if she is doing a horrible thing but the results save people. How does the Doctor deal with that? Because her amorality would mean she would do good, in the sense that if she helped people as a side result of doing science it would be fine, but she would derive no satisfaction from being "good."

Infinitum posted:

Here's the video of him stating this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwdjVLqnv_k&t=910s

42:45 for him talking about Big Finish

Would absolutely adore to see him on screen again as 9, but you gotta respect the dude for sticking to his convictions - particularly with everything that's come out over the years about that season.

I also love the fact that he is so hardcore against the TV show but loves Big Finish (and the fans). He could have said "gently caress it all" and never revisited the character or franchise and reasonable people would absolutely not blame him. Instead he's found a part of it he can embrace.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

The Rani has a lot of interesting character points that are very different from the Master, if played right. There was always the worry that bringing back the Rani they would write her as "The Master, but a woman." Now that we've had a female Master, they really have to go in a different direction, and there's a LOT of story to mine. The Rani is not redeemable, like the Master was. The Doctor has no chance of reforming her like he tried with Missy, because she's so cold and amoral. She would be best played as cold and logical, not passionate and emotional like the Master. She isn't going to spend decades wearing a disguise to get off on a reveal, or set something up as a joke, gloat, snap, get angry. That's a whole different Time Lord.

Her experiments too could cause interesting moral dilemmas. What if she is doing a horrible thing but the results save people. How does the Doctor deal with that? Because her amorality would mean she would do good, in the sense that if she helped people as a side result of doing science it would be fine, but she would derive no satisfaction from being "good.

Yeah, this is something one of her BF plays digs into and it's fairly good. It gives her a favourite planet, like Earth is to the Doctor, and uses it to talk about her relationship with colonialism, paternalism (including literal motherhood) and her own understanding of scientific and interventionist ethics. It also provides a decent solve for her name -- her title's implied to be a loan word from the planet she's colonised -- and the Doctor mostly just refers to her by her given name and not her title.

It's an interesting play, since it effectively suggests some ways in which the Rani is more ethical than the Doctor. She'll gently caress around in the course of a planet's history, just like the Doctor, but at least she'll stick around and try to establish new governments, lines of succession, improve the lives of her people and when things break she'll spend decades trying to fix them.

Her version of better is fairly hosed though, since she's a dictator the script models on the British Raj, but that's not something she really understands.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Astroman posted:

I also love the fact that he is so hardcore against the TV show but loves Big Finish (and the fans). He could have said "gently caress it all" and never revisited the character or franchise and reasonable people would absolutely not blame him. Instead he's found a part of it he can embrace.

Big Finish is famous for its extremely healthy work environment. There's criticism of their writing and some of their staffing and hiring practices with regards new writers but I've never heard a bad word said about recording or post-production conditions at Big Finish Productions. So between that, flexible scheduling that doesn't require the production to be insured against Eccleston's history of hospitalization, and the steady pay I'm not surprised at all that Eccleston is having a very positive time there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorWhat posted:

Big Finish is famous for its extremely healthy work environment.

And lunches!