Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I can never get pipes aligned nicely and it always looks like poo poo because I just give up. You guys always impress me with the pipework!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Collateral Damage posted:

No mods. The internet just has people fumbling in the dark. Some suggest a hardware issue, but I feel like I would have issues in other games as well if it was.

I'd definitely consider other stuff first.

OTOH Satisfactory is a pretty intense game in terms of combined CPU+GPU use, so it would not be 100% crazy for it to be revealing a hardware problem that some other games did not.

Man with Hat posted:

I think for the first time ever I made a factory I really like the design of so I'm gonna make you look at it.

This is my new power plant:

Verry naice!

Man with Hat posted:

I'm happy to take suggestions on how I should set the light

In addition to the overhead lights on the top roof, try using some wall mounted flood lights set to throw light sorta crosswise? I'm thinking either mounted underneath that central walkway or possibly on the edge of the middle decks pointed across at the opposite side.

That will let you turn the intensity down, which IMO makes lights look a lot better.

Man with Hat posted:

Ten pipes with 600 each and the two middle ones with 200 each.

(and I also see that a pipe is probably disconnected somewhere here).

I'm also not seeing much evidence of valves, which makes me concerned about potential pipe slosh. Using 100% flow rate from a pipe is tricky in the best of conditions. Big manifolds of generators are very vulnerable to this.

If you have problems, a fix would be to upgrade the 2 mk1 pipes to mk2 and re-engineer things such that they split the flow & no single pipe is maxed out. 6400 / 12 is 533, which would be plenty of margin.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

I'd definitely consider other stuff first.

OTOH Satisfactory is a pretty intense game in terms of combined CPU+GPU use, so it would not be 100% crazy for it to be revealing a hardware problem that some other games did not.

Verry naice!

In addition to the overhead lights on the top roof, try using some wall mounted flood lights set to throw light sorta crosswise? I'm thinking either mounted underneath that central walkway or possibly on the edge of the middle decks pointed across at the opposite side.

That will let you turn the intensity down, which IMO makes lights look a lot better.

I'm also not seeing much evidence of valves, which makes me concerned about potential pipe slosh. Using 100% flow rate from a pipe is tricky in the best of conditions. Big manifolds of generators are very vulnerable to this.

If you have problems, a fix would be to upgrade the 2 mk1 pipes to mk2 and re-engineer things such that they split the flow & no single pipe is maxed out. 6400 / 12 is 533, which would be plenty of margin.

Thanks for the advice! I checked the power and I now have a surplus of about 50 000 MW from what I'm using so hopefully the inefficiencies won't be a problem if they appear and I don't want to redesign this haha. But I'll keep it in mind next time! I like that a pipe of 600 fits 20 reactors at 250% perfectly in theory more than I care about it actually working in practice in this case lol but it does bother me a little so it is nice to know why they don't work as they should.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

you can also just underclock a few generators if it an unstable power graph bothers you. Probably the easiest fix.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just learned the hard time consuming way that blueprints do not connect rails despite visually looking like they do. Also if you have two tails too close the signals mix, they need some QoL on all this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

socialsecurity posted:

Just learned the hard time consuming way that blueprints do not connect rails despite visually looking like they do.

Yup. Pipes and belts don't connect across blueprints either.

This is unfortunately not really plausible to fix. One of those things that seems easy when you look at the basic case and gets extremely difficult very quickly. They could forbid rails from being used in the BP box entirely, but there are some useful ways to use rails in BPs even when they don't auto-connect.

socialsecurity posted:

Also if you have two tails too close the signals mix

This is on purpose: if you have 2 rails close enough together that the signals interfere, the rails are close enough that trains can collide. So the game merges the signals to prevent trains from derailing.

Or at least that's how it's supposed to work -- people have found edge cases where signals get mixed despite trains being able to pass each other. There's some extra margin, which would make sense if the collision detection is run at lower resolution for out-of-physics-range trains.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish the pipeline junction didn't count as a building. I had to do some janky poo poo in my coal power setup because while pipelines and pipeline supports can clip building bounding boxes just fine, apparently junctions can't.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Klyith posted:

Or at least that's how it's supposed to work -- people have found edge cases where signals get mixed despite trains being able to pass each other. There's some extra margin, which would make sense if the collision detection is run at lower resolution for out-of-physics-range trains.

In my first game I hit that snag a few times and it was infuriating. Always check your colors.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

They could forbid rails from being used in the BP box entirely, but there are some useful ways to use rails in BPs even when they don't auto-connect.

When I made my railway network I made a blueprint without rails and one with rails and a signal and used 4 without, 1 with and then filled in the blanks and it was extremely helpful so I'm very glad rails are allowed in blueprints. It makes making straight railways easy and consistant which probably saved me hours of precise aiming.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I just tried using my hypertube loop accelerators and I just get stuck going in circles now with Update 8. Is there anything I can do to fix them?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ardlen posted:

I just tried using my hypertube loop accelerators and I just get stuck going in circles now with Update 8. Is there anything I can do to fix them?

Nobody was more bummed about this than me. I had them everywhere, did all my commuting by human cannon.

So far this is the best design I've seen anyone come up with. It works by pressing left/right to either keep looping or get shot out.

It's not perfect though. It works on the principle that the two possible exits -- keep going around or get shot out -- are equally spaced from the previous loop. So depending on some game physics that I haven't determined, one of the two is the "default" and it's not always the same. So sometimes you have to hold a key to keep looping, and sometimes you have to hold a key to get shot.

I slapped together a blueprint while testing it out. (Note: my BP has the extra entrance, so it accelerates *very* quickly.)

I still haven't spent a lot of time investigating the physics. While U8 was in experimental I took down most of my canons and kinda got adapted to taking the train.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kanonvandekempen posted:

For what it's worth, there's a youtuber I really like who is doing a beginner-friendly playthrough which is very step-by step. He is only updating it once a week atm, and isn't as far in the game as you are.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCmmkwcxcfMiZgRyuqxN2vqGkcqFWChXh

PS: I have not found tractors useful.

I picked this game up years ago, and sort of faffed around a bit, but gave up around oil. I installed the no-arachnids mod and gave it another try, and I've been following these videos but I gotta say... I hate them. They're awful for a new player. I think he's way too obsessed with aesthetics for a newbie player, and it's really difficult to follow his play through without doing exactly what he says (because he doesn't explain everything very well) but he doesn't give enough info to really copy his building designs exactly.

The information I've found useful is his production charts and where to site things, but beyond that it's dreck, in this newbie's opinion. And now I'm onto his video where he's going to build some insanely massive copper wire factory for no explained reason, and it's also literally impossible to build what he's building because it requires mk5 belts when we've only unlocked mk3 and... I guess I'm going it on my own at this point because these aren't useful anymore.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FISHMANPET posted:

The information I've found useful is his production charts and where to site things, but beyond that it's dreck, in this newbie's opinion. And now I'm onto his video where he's going to build some insanely massive copper wire factory for no explained reason, and it's also literally impossible to build what he's building because it requires mk5 belts when we've only unlocked mk3 and... I guess I'm going it on my own at this point because these aren't useful anymore.

If you can learn how to set up a manifold and how to use an online production planner you've mostly solved the game, everything past that is more a matter of how you want your factories to look aesthetically. I always use Satisfactory Tools but other ones work much the same, tell it the raw resource inputs and what you want to make and it will lay everything out for you. If you gave up at oil last time know that it's much the same as anything else, the only catch being that you have to dispose of waste products somehow. The standard rubber/plastic recipes will produce heavy oil residue as a byproduct and choke production if it builds up all the way, the easiest thing to do is pipe that into a separate line of refineries, convert it all to petroleum coke, then dump all that in a resource sink. The complexities of aluminum production later on can be dealt with in the same way, instead of trying to balance waste water throughout the system you can search out the Wet Concrete alternate recipe, pipe all the waste water into refineries along with some limestone, then dump the resulting concrete in the sink.

Knowing what to produce at any given time is usually straightforward enough. Either work towards whatever the milestones/space elevator are saying to make or automate whatever items you need for making large amounts of the production buildings you have unlocked. There are a few things like screws which don't really need to be automated if you use all the right alternate recipes but you generally can't go wrong just automating every new item as they become available. The biggest roadblock is probably Heavy Modular Frames which come relatively early, if you can figure those out you should be able to deal with anything else the game throws at you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I need a little more guidance than that unfortunately for whatever reason, as evidenced by the fact that I just keep bouncing around not having any idea what I should be working on.

And my entire coal power plant just shut down because water just no longer flows for some reason.

Honestly I can't tell if I love this game or I hate this game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just follow the quest line through ?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

If you are having a lot of issues, I am sure someone here would be willing to join you in-game and help you, and explain stuff.
I would, but don't have the game installed and haven't played for ages.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FISHMANPET posted:

I need a little more guidance than that unfortunately for whatever reason, as evidenced by the fact that I just keep bouncing around not having any idea what I should be working on.

Could give you some guidance if you say which milestone you're on, there's always a choice of which one to work towards and some are more pressing than others. Some are basic QOL things like bladerunners giving added run speed and should be prioritized, unlocking new production buildings is always necessary to progress, things like the zipline tend to be more situational and are more of an optional thing.

quote:

And my entire coal power plant just shut down because water just no longer flows for some reason.

You said you've unlocked Mk.3 belts already, if you want an easy, no-fuss design to copy I posted mine a while back:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The coal generator islands must be clean and perfectly efficient.

Each group of 18 coal generators will use up a full belt of 270 coal. The belt runs along the ground and wraps around in a manifold, the positioning of water extractors at both ends and in the middle allows everything to be supplied using a single continuous mk.1 pipe without ever going over the 300 limit. Without looking at your setup, whatever issues you're having are probably from trying to force too much water through the pipes or your generators are too high above the water source and you need to add some pumps for headlift. I generally build mine at or close to the water line so I don't have to worry about pumps, the extractors themselves already provide enough innate headlift for everything to work.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got coal power working again, I was just exceptionally frustrated at my attempt at building the design from that video series. It relied on one water extractor feeding 3 coal generators when they're underclocked to 88%. Except it was doing it in this 3 story monstrosity with an overly complicated water manifold that required more pipe capacity than was available with Mk1 pipes and more head lift capacity than Mk1 pumps could give. I rushed to Mk2 pipes and started upgrading to Mk2 pipes and pumps, and somewhere along the line the water just stopped flowing all together. The extractors were still running sometimes, and the pumps said they had head lift capacity left, but the water just stopped flowing.

I rebuilt it using the same ratios but just flat on the ground, and it works much better now, and I'm generating 2200 MW of power which should be plenty for a while.

The one thing that I found valuable from the videos was the very high level factory plans he gave that included ratios and a location. Once I realized that the videos were 90% aesthetics I just skipped them and went to the supplementary materials he links to. So now I've got my hub making rotors and reinforced plates, a copper node making wire, cable, and sheet, an outpost just for modular frames (plus a few extra plates and screws), and an outpost for making steel pipe, steel beams, and encased industrial beams. I've managed to hand craft or manually load machines to get all of Tier 5 unlocked, and I can make all the parts for the next phase. I just have no idea where I should be making them or what ratios are "reasonable" to try and create, and that's where I'm kind of stuck.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I've managed to hand craft or manually load machines to get all of Tier 5 unlocked, and I can make all the parts for the next phase. I just have no idea where I should be making them or what ratios are "reasonable" to try and create, and that's where I'm kind of stuck.

That's a harder question to answer and kind of depends on how long you want to wait for items to accumulate, I'll go back to heavy modular frames as an example. Your first HMF factory is going to be producing relatively small amounts of them, probably in the low single digits. When you're just trying to complete milestones and use them in early construction that's fine, you can wait a while for them to build up in storage and grab them as necessary. My general strategy is to look at all the raw resources necessary, find a place on the map with one of each node nearby and build the factory somewhere equidistant between the nodes. I'll pull as many resources from those nodes as possible and generate a production chart to maximize output, which would look something like this:

That's assuming you want to start from scratch though, and that chart uses alternate recipes to cut out copper which isn't strictly necessary and screws which can be annoying to deal with. A lot of the chart is dedicated to making the modular frames which serve as the main subcomponent for HMFs, if you already have those being produced somewhere else it might be easier to just build the remainder of the factory on top of that production line, or belt/truck the modular frames to another location for final assembly into the HMFs. There's no real wrong way to do it, some people have factories dotted around the map making various subcomponents as necessary, others have one massive factory making everything at once with all the raw resources being brought there. I've done both and don't think there's an easy answer for which method is "better," it's more a matter of personal style and how much your power grid can handle at any given moment. As you advance in the game those HMFs will become subcomponents for other things, or you'll want more of them to build larger amounts of manufacturers and fuel generators and be compelled to expand production further. Those considerations tend to be obvious as shortages arise but the one-of-each-node rule is generally enough to give you as much of an item as you need at any given moment in the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 14, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

The one thing that I found valuable from the videos was the very high level factory plans he gave that included ratios and a location. Once I realized that the videos were 90% aesthetics I just skipped them and went to the supplementary materials he links to. So now I've got my hub making rotors and reinforced plates, a copper node making wire, cable, and sheet, an outpost just for modular frames (plus a few extra plates and screws), and an outpost for making steel pipe, steel beams, and encased industrial beams. I've managed to hand craft or manually load machines to get all of Tier 5 unlocked, and I can make all the parts for the next phase. I just have no idea where I should be making them or what ratios are "reasonable" to try and create, and that's where I'm kind of stuck.

Building a pretty/interesting thing is generally better money than just raw technical explanation, so that's where videos will gravitate to. Back when I was trying to figure everything out I'd search for short runtimes that looked like they were building example sandbox environments to show mechanics instead of Watch Me Play The Game. Seeing some guy's 200-hour factory producing phase 4 elevator parts is impressive but not terribly instructive.

Unlocking phases is adhoc as they typically require X of Y parts and you're not mass producing Y parts yet. As linked above Satisfactory Tools will tell you the ratios/machines you need to produce a given amount of a product. Aside from parts that only fuel the space elevator progression everything you build is just a question of how much you want. If you need 20000 screws per minute for what you want then you source the resources and build the factory to make those then build the logistics to get them to where you need them. It sounds like you've already grasped that side of it so just... build more.

The only secret sauce things are building manifolds, how liquids work, and trains. The latter two are only really complicated because of glitchy/fiddly mechanics and you're probably better off posting a screenshot and asking a question here than trying to go through a comprehensive guide.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah back to the initial comment that it was a good beginner's series, I just want to point out that it is not in fact a good beginner's series. Such a series may not even exist, but this is surely is not it.

But ugh, the analysis paralysis, I'm so stuck. But that's very much a "me" problem. I can play the hell out of some Factorio, but this game just totally breaks my brain.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The thing that kills the game for me isn’t the figuring out, it’s the hiking back and forth to schlep resources around. I’ve never managed to figure out a good way that works for me to avoid this but it’s mostly due to poor planning on my part :haw:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm trying to buckle down and make some computers because I'm blocked all over the place by lack of computer production. Ok, let me throw that into a calculator to run, let's say... 2 manufacturers. I need... 65 iron a minute and 245 copper a minute? What the hell kind of numbers are those? And I've gotta schlep oil or plastic from halfway across the map?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm trying to buckle down and make some computers because I'm blocked all over the place by lack of computer production. Ok, let me throw that into a calculator to run, let's say... 2 manufacturers. I need... 65 iron a minute and 245 copper a minute? What the hell kind of numbers are those? And I've gotta schlep oil or plastic from halfway across the map?

What was your starting location? There are a few spots on the map where oil/copper/iron are all right next to each other, though trucking some plastic from far away is a perfectly viable option as well. Eventually you'll have to deal with long distance logistics and truck routes are relatively easy to set up. Don't worry about trying to supply exactly 65 iron and 245 copper, just send a full mk.2 belt of 120 iron and a mk.3 belt of 270 copper and ignore the excess. Factorio resources are limited, Satisfactory nodes are infinite and iron/copper are prevalent enough that you don't really need to be considerate about them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trucks will help you out also

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I always end up returning to the second starting location because it has all the basic and optional resources within a stone’s throw of each other. Only need to move out once you get to oil.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

And I've gotta schlep oil or plastic from halfway across the map?

Plastic hauling is a thing you'll eventually need, but for oil/nitrogen you'll want to build on location and siphon in resources like iron and copper locally. Trucks can help with early game hauling across medium distances when you just need coal or whatever.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

priznat posted:

The thing that kills the game for me isn’t the figuring out, it’s the hiking back and forth to schlep resources around. I’ve never managed to figure out a good way that works for me to avoid this but it’s mostly due to poor planning on my part :haw:

When I built my giant power plant recently I just added all the buildings to my todo list and then hyper cannoned my way back and forth from my base to where I wanted it and put down a bunch of containers to hold all the stuff. Then I did like 20 reactors on the todo list, filled up from my local stash, rinse and repeat. It was definitely the best way I've ever done resource moving for a build. I used to run back and forth from the base and pick up stuff as I ran out and always forgot one thing so I had to go twice.

RE Plastic across large distances, trucks are pretty much perfect for that since you can make plastic, rubber and packaged fuel for the trucks all in the same node. Just make sure to do something with the leftovers so production doesn't stop. You can unlock smart splitters in the MAM under the caterium tree if you haven't got those already and you can buy AI limiters from the AWESOME shop if you don't have that automated yet, very useful for sending overflow into an AWESOME Sink.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 14, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I unlocked the Truck and tried to drive it from my base in green fields to where I'm extracting oil in the blue crater. I've got nobelisk explosives so I've opened up that low road to the crater on the edge of the map, and tried to drive my truck through there. Because of janky physics it hit a stick and fell off the edge. Thankfully it landed below where I could use foundations and ladders to grab it (I'd stuck all my materials for my refineries in the truck as well so that would have been a big loss) but that just caused me to temporarily rage quit again.

Everything just feels like it's one degree of difficulty too much at any given time. I think I also really just don't like the terrain in this game. It's a challenge, but never a fun challenge. I can never figure out what I'm "supposed" to be doing with it. Foundations not having any physics means I could just pave over the entire map and not worry about anything, but if the terrain can be so easily overcome, what's the point of it? Then again, a game like this that requires you to hand build every individual component rather than stamping down factories and logistics like Factorio tells me that the devs and players find the drudgery... fun? Am I have fun? I have no idea.

Thanks all for sticking with me as this game gives me an existential crisis.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a sandbox game where you make your own fun

The devs have kind of given up on it. I doubt we see a 1.0 at this rate. If it’s not fun for you move on

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
They're still doing updates but its mostly terrain/engine stuff and QOL fixes.

It just kinda sucks that actual content is on an extremely slow drip

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

euphronius posted:

The devs have kind of given up on it.

That's an insane thing to say about a game that just did an major engine change.

e:

Deki posted:

It just kinda sucks that actual content is on an extremely slow drip

Yeah the content / main game is pretty much done. There's still gonna be the storyline stuff for 1.0, but it's not going to a big thing compared to what's already in the game.

The game is *very* slow so that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 14, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"all alternate recipes unlocked" is such a good option to have available

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Klyith posted:

Yeah the content / main game is pretty much done. There's still gonna be the storyline stuff for 1.0, but it's not going to a big thing compared to what's already in the game.

I'm not so sure about that - between the SAM ore and the repeated teasing of quantum computer items there's got to be at least a couple of new production lines for the 1.0 release.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I just want something to do with the cool S and the other alien artifacts!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

I'm not so sure about that - between the SAM ore and the repeated teasing of quantum computer items there's got to be at least a couple of new production lines for the 1.0 release.

One of the recent dev Q&A videos mentioned at least one more production building still in the works and there's a Quantum Encoder which was datamined a long time ago. Good chance that's what will be used for the quantum computers/crystals, the Particle Accelerator was mined before release as well and came out looking basically the same. They're always vague about future plans but it seems like they're relatively close to a 1.0 release at this point with a lot of assets completed behind the scenes, now that the engine update is out of the way they can focus more on implementing the final stages.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Foundations not having any physics means I could just pave over the entire map and not worry about anything, but if the terrain can be so easily overcome, what's the point of it? Then again, a game like this that requires you to hand build every individual component rather than stamping down factories and logistics like Factorio tells me that the devs and players find the drudgery... fun? Am I have fun? I have no idea.

No, you've got it pretty much right. Purely as a factory builder it's slow and the devs have explicitly stated that placing everything individually by hand is the goal. Instead of chasing ultimate production you're supposed to go out and hunt for slugs and alternate recipes while everything slowly builds. Most of building pretty things is knowing how to glitch stuff around into shapes other than the large block-aligned stuff the game uses normally.

The only reason I got a second big game in is that I could turn off wildlife attacking, turn off item requirements for building, unlock all alternate recipes, turn on flying so I could place things in a sane manner, and skip the intro. Even then I burned out after phase 3 because of the sheer manual placement requirements you have to scale up to.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder if they’re going to enable Nanite on the factory assets. The LOD pop is still somewhat considerable. Animation probably shouldn’t be the problem, since belt items are already Nanite.

Too bad that Nanite Spline Meshes are on the next UE release. For the belts.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder if they’re going to enable Nanite on the factory assets. The LOD pop is still somewhat considerable. Animation probably shouldn’t be the problem, since belt items are already Nanite.

Dunno if they can, they said a while back that they were limited in how much Nanite-ing they could do based on some tech limitations. Nanite can't do "vertex colors", is that what does the paintable colors on buildings? A bit of google shows people saying nanite isn't great for dynamic colors. (Their #1 "we wish we could nanite this" thing was foliage, but IIRC that was too much labor cost to do.)

Also, if you're talking about the LOD pop on machine animation, I think that's actually a different problem. The factory machine animations are fully controlled by game code, which is why they sync with machine cycles and change speed based on OC and a bunch of other stuff. And the reason they get frame-y isn't a LOD from the model itself, it's because they limit the update rate on that code for performance.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad that Nanite Spline Meshes are on the next UE release. For the belts.

No, for the rails! Rails are the place where LOD pop annoys me the most. On small segments of max-curve rail it's huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I found some blueprints for roads, built a road from my plastic factory in the blue crater to my computer factory in the green meadows, built the computer factory, used the computers to unlock trains, started building trains, now I'm having fun again.