Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I Miss Snausages posted:

So you will feel more relaxed (possibly more than you ever have before), sleepy, and not really care about what is going on around you. It can hit pretty fast when you take it. You will more than likely be sleepy the whole day at that dose. Do not drive after taking this. To me, it's not a "high" but then again, I take it for anxiety when needed (2-3 times a year).

I never have seen anyone who spills the tea when on these meds from a prescribed dose, so I wouldn't be to worried about that. I was a pharm tech in a hospital before I so I do have first hand experience of seeing people on many types of medications. Don't do something like take half of the dose, because the effects of this are being used to make you not feel mentally uncomfortable during surgery. You will be getting pain meds during surgery too, and it is quite possible that even though you are "awake" you will have a very hazy memory of what was or is going on. This is by design, and a good thing.

Perfect, thanks. That sounds like the ideal situation.

I 100% am being driven to and from the appointment, and I don't have any reason to drive anywhere for the next few days. I plan to take the dose an hour before the surgery is scheduled to begin so I'll be nice and relaxed before they start poking.

e. why do I keep sniping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

El Jeffe posted:

This lady explains it well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UuvwY6CdLo

TLDW it observes the exact movement the cursor makes as well as your internet activity.

the history-tracking thing is the much bigger part of it though
if you visit sites that use recaptcha in an incognito window with third-party tracking etc blocked you will have to do the pick-the-squares thing constantly

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Poldarn posted:

Drugs give you super powers.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

wash bucket posted:

Is there a safer alternative to candles to give a room that same sort of cozy lighting? You know, lots of low very warm light. I know they make little decorative led candles but all the ones I've seen are cheap junk.

A string of warm white Christmas lights along your headboard.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Everett False posted:

If a human had a baculum, is that something that you'd even really notice? I can't tell if that's something that would look indistinguishable from a boneless dick from the outside, or if you'd immediately be like, "woah, what's up with your dick?" I know other primates have boney boners, but I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to monkey dicks in my life.

I'm pretty sure animals with baculums also have retractable penises, at least all the one's I'm aware of do. Humans don't have that and you'd definitely notice if someone did. At least you would if they were naked.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Is there a safer alternative to candles to give a room that same sort of cozy lighting? You know, lots of low very warm light. I know they make little decorative led candles but all the ones I've seen are cheap junk.

Smart bulbs can provide less/more/warm lights. They can be expensive per-bulb but they're a lot safer than candles. I'm a big weirdo about light levels and I replaced all my bulbs with smart bulbs (phillips ones) and I have been loving life ever since. You can manage it on your phone or use an alexa or whatever.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

alnilam posted:

I was taking the bus when I got a camera stuck down my throat and that was considered a perfectly acceptable answer

Well yeah, you weren't even at the hospital yet!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

sorry/not sorry for the huge multi-reply

Earwicker posted:

does the idea of "mechs" as portrayed in e.g. battletech have any kind of realistic basis for being a military technology we will see in future phases of human development?

or is it just pure fantasy concocted because they look cool and have a somewhat humanoid form and thus battles between mechs even in some far future setting recreate on some subconscious level the glorious battles between individual human warriors in days of old? but there's no reason to like actually, make them?
There are defense-funded exoskeleton projects, but above human scale, you might as well just make it remote.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also it's really fuckin hard to make something walk on two legs over uneven terrain without immediately falling over. The human body does a million tiny self balancing things to stay upright.
I apologize in advance, but think about your breathing and see how long it takes until you start doing it reflexively. Now stand up and think about your knees. I apologize in advance.

greazeball posted:

On the topic of flavours, here's a stupid question. Why are there so many peach flavoured things (tea, gummy candies, etc.) and almost no nectarine flavoured things?
Artificial peach is gamma-Deltalactone, and you can add a sugar alcohol like ethyl-methylphenylglycidate or artificial sweetener. The taste of gamma-Deltalactone is the flavor you get when you get "peach bits" in your instant oatmeal or eat a peach Jelly Belly, and it's as instantly recognizable since it's a single chemical you're tasting.

actionjackson posted:

i have a mystery stain (ew) on my (cotton) bathmat.
Stain removal process (in case of failure at any step, just throw it out):
1: Identify exactly what caused the stain and what material is stained.
2a: If the stain is pigmented, determine whether you're trying to remove the pigment or the base/binder.
2b: Search 'remove [cause] stain from [material].' in your case, 'remove [brand of makeup] from cotton.'
3: If step 2 fails, look up MSDS for what caused the stain and try again
4a: Resort to try-and-let-dry with water, then hydrogen peroxide, then vinegar, then acetone, then bleach. IMPORTANT: ensure it's actually dry before moving on to a different solvent and do not think you're above rinsing with cold water between attempts.
4b: Having positively identified what's stained and what it's been stained by, decide whether to post here, the SAL chemistry thread, or the SAL Dangerous Chemistry thread.
5: Give up and buy a new bathmat.

Earwicker posted:

swords might have outlived their usefulness on the battlefield but they are still useful if you are challenging someone to a 1 on 1 duel and the weapon of choice is swords. perhaps this is the role the mechs will play in the future. rock em sock em robots more than battletech.

also there is sword fighting in the olympics and i think giant robot combat could be a fun spectator sport as well
Agree on swords being useful for duels since my gigantic rear end self passed on HS football and basketball for four years of fencing.

Speaking of mechs with swords, there's really no excuse for the fact that there isn't at least a port of Virtual On that uses a pair of L/R handed T1600 joysticks or a full VR version. I must have fed that machine 3 SoBe bottles of quarters at the local arcade when I wasn't playing Skee Ball :corsair:

artsy fartsy posted:

I have my Switch and my PC connected to the same monitor and use the physical buttons on the monitor to change the aspect ratio depending on what I'm using. Is there a way to do this from the keyboard instead?

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there such a thing as a functional USB splitter or switch? I've been editing photos on my laptop at my desktop lately, because it's a newer computer that can run a better version of DxO Photolab than my desktop. So I connect it to my large 4K monitor and do exposure correction and stuff there. I've been unplugging my desktop's keyboard to connect it to the laptop so I'm not actually awkwardly sitting there using this tiny-rear end keyboard when I have a full one and a trackball. Is there something I can get so that I'm not constantly unplugging my desktop keyboard and plugging it back in?
Easy answer to both of these, check Monoprice for new stuff if you're only switching one signal, and eBay for used pro-grade switchers. I'm running Extron USB and HDMI switchers and splitters to my TV and inputs, you can do it all automatically based on input, with button presses and devices chained together, or from the comfort of your couch with remote contact closure. Shoot me a message if you have something in mind and want to see if whatever you're about to bid on/buy will work and how to wire it, once I finish moving I could even do a basic "How to Extron" post with photos and talk about contact closure, serial, and IR control can make home theater easier.

Earwicker posted:

massive copyright infringement is extremely common all over the place in all kinds of contexts that have little to do with AI. when i worked at Disney i was in an office in Times Sq and i could simply walk downstairs and 10 feet in front of our building to see people dressed up in completely unlicensed Mickey Mouse and Spiderman costumes harassing tourists on the street. which is definitely not something Disney approves of
Now I'm thinking about the very real possibility that the guy who wrote the theme song for Welcome To Night Vale walked out of his office one day and saw me get groped by Elmo in broad daylight, only for it to be mentioned years later on the Internet. If I put it more concisely, that might sound like something Cecil would say.

wash bucket posted:

Put a LED strip inside a piece of white wiremold. If you're handy with electronics, the circuit that generates the flicker for LED candles is almost always QC rejects or extra production runs from musical greeting cards with the output driving a PWM circuit rather than a speaker (if you don't believe me, tear apart a pack of LED candles and a pair of lovely headphones from a dollar store and hear for yourself).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

GWBBQ posted:

Put a LED strip inside a piece of white wiremold.

I know of decorative LED strips entirely, and I do meam entirely, from the preview pictures of stories about 'Perfect gifts for tweens and young teenagers 11 to 14!' on places like The Guardian or Wired.

Until now. And to be honest your idea made me want them.

I wonder if there's a way to hide them behind white-washed wood that would make them look nice.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Poldarn posted:

Perfect, thanks. That sounds like the ideal situation.

I 100% am being driven to and from the appointment, and I don't have any reason to drive anywhere for the next few days. I plan to take the dose an hour before the surgery is scheduled to begin so I'll be nice and relaxed before they start poking.

Just FYI when I was on lorazepam I was warned I wasn't allowed to drive for 3 days, even after it wears off and you feel normal it can mess with your reflexes and stuff I guess.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

I'm pretty sure animals with baculums also have retractable penises, at least all the one's I'm aware of do. Humans don't have that and you'd definitely notice if someone did. At least you would if they were naked.

They're a grower, not a show-er. :colbert:

(But this is good to know, thank you.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

wash bucket posted:

I don't think this is quite the answer you're looking for but it's worth noting that a dimmer switch and some warm bulbs can get a nice low warm light in a room with little effort. Installing a dimmer switch is pretty much the easiest DIY electrical project there is. But it will be overhead light, not quite the same as a room full of candles.

There are also candlelight bulbs that are warmer than even the warmest regular bulbs, and very dim, that you could stick in a few table lamps. It would be better than the junky LED candles.

Carillon posted:

Well yeah, you weren't even at the hospital yet!

lol

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Taeke posted:

Just FYI when I was on lorazepam I was warned I wasn't allowed to drive for 3 days, even after it wears off and you feel normal it can mess with your reflexes and stuff I guess.

Sounds like something they would do in Europe. I would disagree with 3 days, half life for Lorazepam is 12-18 hours. Valium has an insanely long half life that is 48+ hours. If you were given a large dose of Valium I could understand the 3 day no driving. People misunderstand the half life meaning that your body is actively using what is in your bloodstream in the same way when you took the initial dose. There is some activity, but it matters more when you continue to take the medication like valium within the time of its half life, not just take a one time dose for things. That is why Valium is not really used as much as it used to be. I am not a pharmacist but that is how it was explained to me at one time. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I mean you'll almost certainly be fine to drive the next day unless they gently caress you up real good with something pretty strong, but giving someone a 3 day warning has no downside for the hospital and means that they won't get blamed for it if the patient goes against their advice and something happens.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yes you will be absolutely fine to drive and do whatever else the next day

i do wait several days before having alcohol though as it stays in your system for quite a while

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
If I buy seasons of Bob’s Burgers on YouTube is there a way in the app to play random episodes?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why is it so hard to get a card with Bank of America even with excellent credit?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If I buy seasons of Bob’s Burgers on YouTube is there a way in the app to play random episodes?

Not that I have found, but you can do what I've done through many many years of :filez: and use random.org or a die or close your eyes and click.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Thirteen Orphans posted:

download them with yt-dlp and then use the shuffle button on your offline video player's playlist

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This is more of a rant than a question. Sorry about that

I was somehow enrolled as a driver for Uber. I never applied, and never clicked on any buttons accepting any terms or conditions. But I'm told I could have searched for an FAQ on Google while logged in on that browser and been taken to the Driver FAQ which may have flagged my account as a Driver. This means I get texts and emails from them I can't opt out of, and my profile picture has been deleted and I can't add one without going to a depot with ID. Customer support apologizes but says there's no way to become a Rider again without deleting my account and making a new one, which should take 30 days.

Well 30 days later it's still active. So they try on their end. 30 days later still active. Once again, 30 days later still active. (More than 30 actually we gave it time.) Now it appears if your account is a Driver account it takes 7 years to delete. And still the only thing they can do is suggest is waiting for 7 year deletion process.

I could just block each address as it emails me next time, and number as I receive an SMS from them. On the extreme I could buy a cheap SIM to switch the number and switch the email to a throwaway. They would still have my data to use for marketing and other purposes. (Not saying they would 100% delete what they are required to by law as they haven't in the past but it's also the principle.)

They won't escalate since they say there is nothing else that can be done. I tried the Data Protection Officer's office but that redirects messages to customer service. Any ideas? Is there anyway to have a support ticket flagged for escalation using keywords in the complaint or something like that?

Thank you.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bright Bart posted:

This is more of a rant than a question. Sorry about that

I was somehow enrolled as a driver for Uber. I never applied, and never clicked on any buttons accepting any terms or conditions. But I'm told I could have searched for an FAQ on Google while logged in on that browser and been taken to the Driver FAQ which may have flagged my account as a Driver. This means I get texts and emails from them I can't opt out of, and my profile picture has been deleted and I can't add one without going to a depot with ID. Customer support apologizes but says there's no way to become a Rider again without deleting my account and making a new one, which should take 30 days.

Well 30 days later it's still active. So they try on their end. 30 days later still active. Once again, 30 days later still active. (More than 30 actually we gave it time.) Now it appears if your account is a Driver account it takes 7 years to delete. And still the only thing they can do is suggest is waiting for 7 year deletion process.

I could just block each address as it emails me next time, and number as I receive an SMS from them. On the extreme I could buy a cheap SIM to switch the number and switch the email to a throwaway. They would still have my data to use for marketing and other purposes. (Not saying they would 100% delete what they are required to by law as they haven't in the past but it's also the principle.)

They won't escalate since they say there is nothing else that can be done. I tried the Data Protection Officer's office but that redirects messages to customer service. Any ideas? Is there anyway to have a support ticket flagged for escalation using keywords in the complaint or something like that?

Thank you.

I am not a lawyer etc etc: p sure that if you've asked them to stop contacting you they have to honor that request or else it is considered harassment; i would look into the laws around that wherever you're at and see if it might be worth finding a legal professional willing to take up the issue (i have seen success in situations like this reaching out to the most-local university with a law school for a recommendation, if such a thing exists where you're at)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If you're in the EU, say GDPR and ask them to delete your data

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Grassy Knowles posted:

I am not a lawyer etc etc: p sure that if you've asked them to stop contacting you they have to honor that request or else it is considered harassment; i would look into the laws around that wherever you're at and see if it might be worth finding a legal professional willing to take up the issue (i have seen success in situations like this reaching out to the most-local university with a law school for a recommendation, if such a thing exists where you're at)

Most often (always?) law students running clinics for tenants or consumers can only give you factual information, rarely can they give you advice, and almost never represent you even if it's by drafting a letter you yourself rather than them sign & send. But I do have a buddy who informally trades his services with me for what my profession offers, sometimes with some small amounts involved afterward as a thank-you.

I'm still not sure how far them simply being in the wrong according to the law would go. They probably know they're not following the law. Having a law office send them a letter spelling that out to them is going to matter? A lawyer could probably help me get in touch with a regulator which Uber might want to stay on the good side of, but that might be a back-and-forth more complicated than what I could ask my friend to do.

BonHair posted:

If you're in the EU, say GDPR and ask them to delete your data

I am! And oh I did. I should have mentioned that. They're agreeing to the deletion of my data. They're just not deleting it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bright Bart posted:

Most often (always?) law students running clinics for tenants or consumers can only give you factual information, rarely can they give you advice, and almost never represent you even if it's by drafting a letter you yourself rather than them sign & send. But I do have a buddy who informally trades his services with me for what my profession offers, sometimes with some small amounts involved afterward as a thank-you.

I’ve not seen anyone suggesting students in my or my friends’ experience but rather we have received guidance as to the type of local resource to look into

Bright Bart posted:

I'm still not sure how far them simply being in the wrong according to the law would go. They probably know they're not following the law. Having a law office send them a letter spelling that out to them is going to matter? A lawyer could probably help me get in touch with a regulator which Uber might want to stay on the good side of, but that might be a back-and-forth more complicated than what I could ask my friend to do.

I am! And oh I did. I should have mentioned that. They're agreeing to the deletion of my data. They're just not deleting it.

A lot of the time folks know they’re not following the law but they don’t know that you know. But yes a lot of it is a question of ‘how much effort are you willing to expend to stop this vs how much effort is it to deal with for the next 7+ years’ (i have strong doubts that your info is getting deleted in 7 years if they’re actively engaging with the account as an active driver).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

Go to your country's GDPR regulator and file a complaint about them there. Add as much evidence as you can, conversation and mail history, all that.
Generally they have long, very long waiting times, and they'll ask you if you tried everything possible with the company yet, but just push through and they'll handle it eventually. It might take several years but at least you will have justice in the end.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Your government will have a "Data Protection Authority" of some sort that you can report gdpr violations to. Results may vary but some of them are actually p good.

E: CO2 was a little faster on the trigger :v:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Go to your country's GDPR regulator and file a complaint about them there. Add as much evidence as you can, conversation and mail history, all that.
Generally they have long, very long waiting times, and they'll ask you if you tried everything possible with the company yet, but just push through and they'll handle it eventually. It might take several years but at least you will have justice in the end.

This is true, and with luck you actually manage to inconvenience Uber in a slight but meaningful way, which is a good thing.

Edit: these cases are actually pretty clear, legally speaking (you have a right to be forgotten, they're not forgetting you). Since you have the evidence, it's a matter of the agency opening the case, looking at it for five minutes and then sending a fine. It'll still take ages, but GDPR is some serious good poo poo as a citizen.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 13, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bright Bart posted:

Got through your country's complaint process. Either the one for spam calls/messages or the one for GPDR.
It did the first one a few times when someone annoyed me too much, and it always stopped the messages after a few days. It was just filling out a form on their webpage.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I want to cast from my laptop to a dumb TV. Is there any HDMI dongle I could use? Other dongle I could use to get it on the local wifi? Set top box I could cast to that outputs to the TV?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

NotNut posted:

I want to cast from my laptop to a dumb TV. Is there any HDMI dongle I could use? Other dongle I could use to get it on the local wifi? Set top box I could cast to that outputs to the TV?

Chromecast, I think Fire sticks do this too.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

El Jeffe posted:

Chromecast, I think Fire sticks do this too.

That seems to be exactly what I need, thank you.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Do you know if it specifically allows you to use the TV as a second monitor, as opposed to just mirroring your screen?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

NotNut posted:

Do you know if it specifically allows you to use the TV as a second monitor, as opposed to just mirroring your screen?

Since you're using the cast-to-device function it'll only duplicate what's on your screen (or browser window). The OS is not able to treat it as an additional monitor. There are also other limitations and inconveniences (such as a small delay that will desynchronise sound and video if you're not casting both to the TV for whatever reason). IMO it's better and easier to buy a HDMI cable and plug the laptop into the TV directly if at all possible.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What about a Roku Express? I've successfully used a Roku TV as an extension to my laptop monitor before, so if the Express has all of a built-in TV's capabilities that should work

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Does anyone know of some way to search YouTube for videos longer than a certain hour count? Their built in search filter maxes out at "20+ minutes", but I wanna find videos that are like, 10 hours as opposed to 1 hour.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Brut posted:

Does anyone know of some way to search YouTube for videos longer than a certain hour count? Their built in search filter maxes out at "20+ minutes", but I wanna find videos that are like, 10 hours as opposed to 1 hour.

I don't believe you can. I would use it often if I could and I've tried to find a solution in the past. Youtube has horrible filtering options and they just rely on The Algorithm.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Certain apps on my iPhone (Etsy, eBay, Uber etc) have been showing me ads for stuff within the app using banner notifications. Each of these apps needs to have notifications enabled so that I can get alerts when I'm actually using the service, but these ads are incredibly obnoxious and definitely not necessary. Is it possible to prevent these?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah will have to do that. I found a direct email to Uber's Data Protection Office rather than the form that redirects to customer service. I just received a reply to go like

'Thank you for reaching out to us. You have requested deletion of your data. We have investigated and found to that your data has already been deleted, 3 times recently, and is currently being deleted again. To streamline communications we are closing this ticket and ensuring that any reply or further communication from this email address will be forwarded to customer service. We hope that we have resolved your issue and/or concern'

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 14, 2023

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah will have to do that. I found a direct email to Uber's Data Protection Office rather than the form that redirects to customer service. I just received a reply to go like

'Thank you for reaching out to us. You have requested deletion of your data. We have investigated and found to that your data has already been deleted, 3 times recently, and is currently being deleted again. To streamline communications we are closing this ticket and ensuring that any reply or further communication from this email address will be forwarded to customer service. We hope that we have resolved your issue and/or concern'

They need a better delete command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

LOL! I just tested out to see if they actually were forwarding my messages to Uber Support now or were bluffing. It's worse. They're not even being forwarded.

I just get an automated reply saying that my data protection issue has been resolved and I should contact Uber Support from now on or look at the FAQ for any Privacy Policy questions. And that my message has not reached or been read by a member of the Data Protection Office.

In effect, Uber's privacy complaints department has blocked me lol.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 14, 2023