Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

RIP Tychus, too cool for this game

Do Marine suits have a ventilation system or something? I have no idea how Tychus can see if his helmet is filled with cigar smoke

It probably just cycles the suit's entire atmosphere, cigar smoke and all, through a heavy-duty scrubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: the SCV's "under attack lines" tend to be overridden with the Announcer's "Your workers are under attack" line instead.

Also, I'm pretty sure none of the vehicles' Death Cries actually play, and are simply overridden by the vehicle simply blowing up.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

quote:

Y'know we got a saying where I come from: Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me... no, wait a minute. Shame on you... twice, for foolin' me on... Ah, screw it, let... let's just be friends.
This particular Vulture quote is a reference to a particularly infamous speech by George W. Bush.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do Marine suits have a ventilation system or something? I have no idea how Tychus can see if his helmet is filled with cigar smoke

Tychus keeps his visor open at all times.

Please enjoy these Tychus models in various stages of completion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

having a visible face and widely known name is proven to increase odds of battlefield survival by 7,000,000%

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Amusingly, Raynor never opens his visor in-game. All of his unit models have his helmet closed, presumably to show off his wicked cool skull face decal.

Unfortunately, Raynor's models have... other... issues...

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
incredibly minor nitpick: the Ghost's lines in SC1 are "You called down the thunder" and "Now reap the whirlwind". So the ones here are references, but not the same.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for doing the LP! WoL was when I stepped off the Blizzard ride; I didn't remember the ending and don't know anything aside from the very start of the next segment and the very end of the series, very excited to learn what I missed.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I do kind of like the idea that Mengsk actually views Raynor as such a non-issue that his mole’s orders never were to kill him.
For all the hate and posturing, Mengsk genuinely doesn’t see Raynor as a threat to his rule. He’s a small time rebel not even worth going out of the way to squash, and has his attention on bigger problems. After all, Kerrigan is a far bigger threat than Raynor ever could be, and they’d agree on that to boot.
So yeah, nudge things along so that Raynor helps assemble an ancient artifact that will either kill her dead or leave her extremely weak and open to getting killed dead, then let him join up on his son’s brazen attack and see if that lucky streak can carry the day once more.
The biggest known threat to humanity is dead in a ditch, humanity is safe, and Mengsk gets to parade around his genuine accomplishments to cool off rebellious tension while Raynor gets his old buddy back and goes back to being a small thorn in Mengsk’s side. And if Raynor is so insane as to think that she deserves another chance? Mengsk has someone on standby to shoot him down (proverbially or literally)

Unfortunately it’s kind of undermined by the PROPHECY saying that Kerrigan has to live or the entire universe dies a horrible death, meaning that what otherwise could be an interesting dilemma ends up becoming “Raynor is 100% right and Mengsk is 100% wrong”

I also actually do remember the dialogue at 10 seconds before the end of the last mission, but just assumed it was Raynor hearing things in his head.

Anyways, congrats on finishing the third of SC2 with generally alright writing and plot!

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Any serious analysis of StarCraft will quite obviously demonstrate that Mengsk is Stalin and Raynor is Trotsky.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

JohnKilltrane posted:

Any serious analysis of StarCraft will quite obviously demonstrate that Mengsk is Stalin and Raynor is Trotsky.

And Kerrigan is that horse who works harder until he gets sent to the glue factory, and then he comes back as a mutant superhorse and destroys Animal Farm.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Sanguinia posted:

And Kerrigan is that horse who works harder until he gets sent to the glue factory, and then he comes back as a mutant superhorse and destroys Animal Farm.

Tychus, of course, is the pig on two legs.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

JohnKilltrane posted:

Tychus, of course, is the pig on two legs.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

the Orb of Zot posted:

I do kind of like the idea that Mengsk actually views Raynor as such a non-issue that his mole’s orders never were to kill him.

Well, I mean, having a known rebel around is always useful for autocrats. There has to be someone around to take the blame, and to justify spending on weapons and armies and battlecruisers... though the last one justifies itself. Battlecruisers are awesome.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

Anyways, congrats on finishing the third of SC2 with generally alright writing and plot!

Hey now, LotV was decent so long as one ignores the epilogue portion!
...Yes I'm reaching by excluding it but at least personally the Protoss story was one I could stomach and even enjoyed in a few spots, not only the ones with Alarak.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

For as much as I love the sc2 campaign, I have never finished the epilogue.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Legacy of the Void is actually the worst of the stories, though to be fair, I only really remember one thing about it.

e: not counting the epilogue, of course

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

LotV has one of the greatest character in Starcraft so it earns points on that back alone.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I think it's kinda funny that every campaign has one Really Good Character.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Kith posted:

I think it's kinda funny that every campaign has one Really Good Character.

For all of Blizzards many writing sins, they've always been capable of hitting at least one character with enough good characterisation to see it through to the end of the game.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

FrenchBen posted:

Hey now, LotV was decent so long as one ignores the epilogue portion!

Epilogue mission 1 is genuinely my favourite mission in all of SC2, with Outbreak being a close second. Outbreak would probably win if it had more vespene geysers. There's a bunch of infested ones on the map, why can't they be an actual geyser when destroyed?

JackSplater fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 14, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Opening

Cinematic: Swarm

One down, three more to go.

As a whole, Wings of Liberty was okay. It had some high notes like the cutscene between Jim and Matt after Media Blitz, but also had some low, low notes like Haven or the orb.

But here?

Heart of the Swarm is the absolute nadir of Starcraft 2.

But before we can get into any of that, we have another trailer-bait cinematic to go through, set on scenic Korhal.

A group of Vikings swoop in.

The Swarm has come calling.

The Marines try their best to fight back.

They don't last long.

A Siege Tank has an identity crisis, mistakes itself for a Diamondback, and fires on the move.

Unfortunately, this is Cutscene Land, where Ultralisks are loving kaiju.

Two Banshees pass overhead.

Completely ignoring this group and leaving it to a single Viking.

I think the Marines did more to help, honestly.

Everything rests on this defensive line.

For a moment, it looks like they might hold.

But then everything falls apart.

Private Wilhelm, no!

This cinematic really does sell just how unstoppable the Swarm is when focused on a target. It wouldn't surprise me if things like this helped inspire the creation of the Real Scale series of mods.

Alright false alarm, it was all just a dream, making this actual trailer bait. At least The Deal set up Tychus being a mole.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

hell yeah here we go

as fun as HotS can be to play this is one of the most insanely gigantic jumps off a cliff in terms of storytelling I've ever loving seen, and it's not like we were particularly high up in WoL to begin with!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, there you have it: the absolute high point of HotS.

It's all downhill from here, and it hasn't even actually started yet.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
What a great thread title.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The story of Heart of the Swarm is very, very bad, and it's easily the weakest of the main three campaigns from a gameplay perspective too. The best thing I can say about it is that it has a real cool character in it and it's of course still fun.

LotV is a lot better on both fronts, thankfully.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, when exactly does that acid flashback take place?

Kerrigan wasn't in full Queen of Blades form and planetary invasions until the very end of Brood War, so this intro cinematic really doesn't fit in that game. In the five years since, Kerrigan's kept to her own sources. Then her offensive against Mengsk starts, but she mostly is content to randomly rampage along while spending most of her effort trying to dig up artifacts.

So (unless she's hallucinating in detail a memory of something which hasn't happened/hasn't happened yet) we're limited to her being somewhere on the offensive and leveling most of a city against hardened defenses, which we only really have of her during the.. Tutorial missions of the first game.

Sooo there isn't any real other opportunities for it beyond that slash of time around MIssion 2/3 of the last game she could have been on the offensive, showed up in person to rampage (maybe during when they showed that creepy flash of her when TItus was hacking the HYperion's security records)?

Or am I giving it too much thought?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

wedgekree posted:

So, when exactly does that acid flashback take place?

Kerrigan wasn't in full Queen of Blades form and planetary invasions until the very end of Brood War, so this intro cinematic really doesn't fit in that game. In the five years since, Kerrigan's kept to her own sources. Then her offensive against Mengsk starts, but she mostly is content to randomly rampage along while spending most of her effort trying to dig up artifacts.

So (unless she's hallucinating in detail a memory of something which hasn't happened/hasn't happened yet) we're limited to her being somewhere on the offensive and leveling most of a city against hardened defenses, which we only really have of her during the.. Tutorial missions of the first game.

Sooo there isn't any real other opportunities for it beyond that slash of time around MIssion 2/3 of the last game she could have been on the offensive, showed up in person to rampage (maybe during when they showed that creepy flash of her when TItus was hacking the HYperion's security records)?

Or am I giving it too much thought?

its just a dream of something she wants/wanted to do

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The new thread title :discourse:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Have to admit "cutscene Ultralisks" are incredibly awesome in SC 2. It's a good trailer!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

And so it begins...

The size of that Battlecruiser is INSANE. I bet that Viking pilot thought he was the coolest, biggest hero ever with that Robotech poo poo. RIP Bozo. How did not ONE of those Seige Tank shells his that Ultralisk? They hit every molecule of Zerg around the Ultralisk but missed the Ultralisk!

Anyway, there's not much going on in this cinematic in terms of theming compared to Tychus' suit-up. We just get to see the Zerg say It's Zergin' Time and Zerg all over those guys. I do remember already being bothered by the amount of collateral damage on display. The Zerg Campaign was always a villain campaign before, but WoL went far out of its way to establish that the Zerg were not the true threat, and indeed would be NEEDED to stop the true threat. Hell, they were victims of that threat to some degree thanks to the Overmind retcon and the bit at the end of Zeratul's final mission where they were wiped out by the Hybrids. Why show the swarm raining death upon a city of millions of innocents after all that set-up, even if it is a dream? Why show Kerrigan reveling in revenge when one of the most important themes for the last game's protagonist was letting go of a need for revenge?

I do, in retrospect, appreciate the shot of Kerrigan lying on that operating table. Right after seeing the mighty Queen of Blades standing tall over the charred remains of her enemies, her body armored with chitin, her wings at the ready to rip and tear, the camera zooms out to a wide angle as she wakens. She is small now, soft, vulnerable. The shot from above is oppressive, especially as she looks around with room with obvious nervousness. Most of all, she is framed on every side by those mechanical arms, an allusion to the medical experimentation she was subjected to as part of the Ghost program. You can literally hear the barely contained fear in her breathing as the logo fades in.

They're planting a crucial seed in those final moments and I completely missed it the first time I played this, so I have to give credit where credit is due. There won't be a ton of credit to go around on the road we're walking.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

As a bug fan, that trailer/cinematic got me super excited for the campaign. Then I lost that hype after the first few missions, but more because of all the story crap that will on display in short order

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well yeah, you can't make the Zerg not cool. They certainly tried their hardest with HotS, but in the end, you're still playing as a swarm of bugs that infest the very ground they walk on, kicking down the walls of any nerd who thinks big guns or fancy space magic will protect them.

That's the lesson I choose to take away.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Creep became less impressive to me when I realized that Earth is a creep planet. What is this world, what is it made out of? Not dirt, this is a rock planet. It's covered in an organic substrate composed of a swarming multitude of different kinds of viruses, bacteria, worms, insects, and other biological processes and enables and is in turn replenished by all the life that lives on top of it. Life can stray off it for a while but not really live there. Anywhere life does live for long enough gets covered in it.

Creep is just dirt. Alien dirt, but still.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
and... you don't think that's cool?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's the astronomy problem for me. On the one hand stars are incredible things that are millions of degrees and are so massive as to make the human mind boggle and can turn into a huge variety of even weirder and wilder things like black holes and magnetars and we can look back in time using telescopes to see what they were like billions of years ago and we know that everything is made out of starstuff, and that's awesome! But also everything is made out of star stuff which makes it the most ordinary and mundane thing imaginable and stars are so common that if we could resolve them all the entire night sky would be completely white because they're so numerous.

And so it's like, yeah, creep/dirt falls into the same category of being at once so impossibly miraculous that if we routinely comprehended it we'd all have been eaten by sabretooths thousands of years ago because we're gobsmacked by the wonder of the world, but also it's the most mundane thing imaginable. It's literally a saying, dull as dirt.

Anyway sorry to derail the LP, I am blissfully unaware of HoTS' writing having given up after WoL, and I am excited to see this whether it turns out to be beautiful or beautifully awful.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
HOTS trailer and LotV trailer are absolutely awesome.

HOTS itself is incredibly stupid when it comes to story, but my favourite part of SC2 when it comes to gameplay and campaign missions. Much better than LotV and its campaign where almost every mission is "There are (number) (things) scattered around the map that need to be destroyed. Each is guarded by a progressively stronger force of enemies" as Grant has hilariously pointed out in his no death challenge.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm sorry you feel that way. I personally think that miracles being so ubiquitous that we consider themselves to be mundane is a beautiful thing in itself, and I'm not sure how one consciously squares that contradiction. It's insanely badass to me that life is a natural terraformer.

Plus the Zerg took a process that organically takes millenia and found a way to do it in minutes, that's cool also.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well yeah, you can't make the Zerg not cool.

just you wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the opening cutscene is a prophetic flash-forward that will be recontextualised by the end of the campaign. it's the final missions, presented without context to misdirect you