Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Some posters ITT have never seen a woman so beautiful they turn into a wolf and their heart turns into a cuckoo clock and it shows

its just gauche to hit yourself on the head with a mallet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

its just gauche to hit yourself on the head with a mallet though

self care

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Same, gently caress that art style and the era that spawned it. No thanks

haha yeah man, if you think about it, cuphead is a racist game

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I watched a lot of weird lovely old cartoons because my parents would get videos from the library instead of renting them. It's an art style where the wrong parts are flexible and the wrong movements are over animated and it gives it a real unintentional creepy look. I love it, but it might be Stockholm syndrome.

Fortunately for the haters it's a really labor intensive way to animate which isn't helped by any modern tools, so the people trying to copy Cuphead's style gave up pretty fast.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

haha yeah man, if you think about it, cuphead is a racist game

These loving cupheads taking over are country.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Cuphead perfectly captures 1930s animation. But if you don’t like the look of 1930s animation then yeah it’s going to fall flat no matter how high quality it is. Personally though it was a wonderful treat.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

galagazombie posted:

Cuphead perfectly captures 1930s animation. But if you don’t like the look of 1930s animation then yeah it’s going to fall flat no matter how high quality it is. Personally though it was a wonderful treat.

I really like that style, but also I liked that they just went for a unique -for games at least- style. Far to many games go for the most boring generic styles possible. Oh god I was sick of the glut of 2010's dull coloured FPS. Just the most boring poo poo. I don't care this year you have slightly better shadows, and texture detail your game still looks boring as hell and like dozens of stuff on the market.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Nice Van My Man posted:

I watched a lot of weird lovely old cartoons because my parents would get videos from the library instead of renting them. It's an art style where the wrong parts are flexible and the wrong movements are over animated and it gives it a real unintentional creepy look. I love it, but it might be Stockholm syndrome.

Fortunately for the haters it's a really labor intensive way to animate which isn't helped by any modern tools, so the people trying to copy Cuphead's style gave up pretty fast.

Somebody gave it the ol' college try but the final result unsurprisingly looks like poo poo

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2444350/Enchanted_Portals/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I absolutely hate playing games where my units die. It pains me to see my lil guys get mulched the gently caress up. I tell myself that when my little mans in Total War: Warhammer 3 are gored by a 20-foot tall minotaur and explode into a fine red mist they're actually just injured and just need to convalesce

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jokes posted:

I absolutely hate playing games where my units die. It pains me to see my lil guys get mulched the gently caress up. I tell myself that when my little mans in Total War: Warhammer 3 are gored by a 20-foot tall minotaur and explode into a fine red mist they're actually just injured and just need to convalesce

they drank too much strawberry juice and need a little lie-down

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

just think of it as a show. When your dudes are done getting gored by a minotaur they head off to craft services for bagels and soda until it's time for their next scene

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But not Pikmin. They're dead forever and their souls damned to the Cavern of Chaos for eternity.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
After a few months of not playing, I’ve resumed The Last Of Us 2 on my ancient PS4. Holy poo poo, I had temporary forgotten how loving amazing this game looks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jokes posted:

Got Deanna Troi in the motherfucking house here

Barudak posted:

But not Pikmin. They're dead forever and their souls damned to the Cavern of Chaos for eternity.
:haibrow:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tango alpha delta posted:

After a few months of not playing, I’ve resumed The Last Of Us 2 on my ancient PS4. Holy poo poo, I had temporary forgotten how loving amazing this game looks.

Its stark how much of a cut above it is. It looks so great, and there's so little reuse of textures, and there are so many really nuanced character animations interacting with the environment. It's such a crazy labour of love.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i loved it how they named all the bad guys in TLoU2 so that you kill one of them and another is like "Oh god, not Steve!" Totally new advancements in video game violence. You can blow up a guy and then a minute later his foot will fall off the ceiling. Goddamn the combat in that game is so awesome, its just perfect.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

plot in video games is for dummies

just show me what I need to kill, I don't care why I need to kill it

I'm finally getting around to playing Strangers of Paradise, and reached a point where a NPC went "Well you see, my race is particular in that..." And immediately got interrupted by the protagonist with "I don't give a poo poo, just tell me where the McGuffin is."

A+, no comment. I am now fully on board.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Aramis posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing Strangers of Paradise, and reached a point where a NPC went "Well you see, my race is particular in that..." And immediately got interrupted by the protagonist with "I don't give a poo poo, just tell me where the McGuffin is."

A+, no comment. I am now fully on board.

Just added to my wishlist based on the post, you're doing the lord's work.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Just added to my wishlist based on the post, you're doing the lord's work.

Bizarrely enough, the narrative aspects of it reminds me a lot of Resonance of Fate, of all things.

There definitely is a plot, and a spectacularly convoluted one at that (as far as I can tell). But it sort of hits that threshold where the game is very aware that players will lose track and ignore it entirely or go out of their way to piece things together. So it plays to both crowds with the cutscenes being all to the point, with very little fluff.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 13, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't finished Dark Souls yet but I am pretty confident that there is nothing ahead of me that will be as unsatisfying and unfun as the Bed of Chaos "fight"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I haven't finished Dark Souls yet but I am pretty confident that there is nothing ahead of me that will be as unsatisfying and unfun as the Bed of Chaos "fight"

There's nothing else in the series that's as bad as the Bed of Chaos.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You would be correct

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Lost Izalith in general is probably one of the worst zones in the whole series. In games known for smart enemy placement and interesting level design the whole giant empty lava pit with a bunch of chaos demons strewn about just screams 'we had no idea what to do with this area'

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
agh christ i want a big fat rpg to play but i don't like dnd gameplay, so baldur's gate and most isometrics are out, anime rpgs are all the same kind of plain toast so they're out, and i think that's about all there is that i haven't played. i basically just want a game like the witcher games. it is the perfect balance of in-depth rpg exploration with strong lead characters and gameplay that doesn't bore me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i heard they made the asscreed series way worse by shoving rpg elements into it, maybe try those

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

roomtone posted:

agh christ i want a big fat rpg to play but i don't like dnd gameplay, so baldur's gate and most isometrics are out, anime rpgs are all the same kind of plain toast so they're out, and i think that's about all there is that i haven't played. i basically just want a game like the witcher games. it is the perfect balance of in-depth rpg exploration with strong lead characters and gameplay that doesn't bore me.

You should probably check out Dragon's Dogma if you haven't already.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

roomtone posted:

Rogue Trader is the best CRPG of 2023 and it's nothing at all like D&D also the writing is good and it's fun to explore in and the combat is extremely good. Also it's the first CRPG of all time where all the companions are cool

I thought Witcher 3 was terrible and BG3 was mid though so feel free to take this post with a grain of salt

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 13, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

roomtone posted:

what like yakuza

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

roomtone posted:

Play:

- Dragon's Dogma (2 is coming out next year, but it's old and good)
- FF14 (it's a big fat JRPG first (like 300 hours of content in the free part) and an MMO second, but you might not like MMO gameplay)
- Monster Hunter games
- Yakuza (any of the recent ones, read the thread)
- Assassin's Creed games (yuck)
- Forspoken
- Elden Ring
- FF16
- Dragon Age 1, Inquisition
- Mass Effect

Also understand you're asking for games that are basically going to be compared against one of the most well-regarded games ever, so chill on your expectations

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Aramis posted:

You should probably check out Dragon's Dogma if you haven't already.

This is the correct answer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rogue Trader looks like a fun strategy RPG on the surface but there's really only so much tedious "purge the unclean" and "oh some hosed up flesh horror going on, purge the unclean" I can take and reached that limit in the trailer. It's just such a one note IP if you're not onboard with it fully it has nothing else to offer.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That post is kind of funny because Rogue Trader is the first WH40k game ever made that explicitly doesn't do that unless you deliberately choose the Nazi alignment, and like half of everything that happens is about exploring things like labor relations and how hosed up exactly that kind of dogmatic slavering adherence to the Imperium is.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Like the whole point of it is that Rogue Traders are effectively the only Humans in the galaxy who are allowed to supersede the Imperium and you can actually be an Archetypical Good Guy who makes things better for people and talks poo poo about the emperor and gets away with it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

dsf posted:

Lost Izalith in general is probably one of the worst zones in the whole series. In games known for smart enemy placement and interesting level design the whole giant empty lava pit with a bunch of chaos demons strewn about just screams 'we had no idea what to do with this area'

Lost Izalith owns, it's absolutely half finished and full of copy paste enemies but its funny how that plays into the lore of it being the very bottom of the world and the creation of all the demons or whatever

bed of chaos sucks mechanically i suppose but if you look up the solution its easier than every other dark souls boss besides pinwheel

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Lost Izalith owns, it's absolutely half finished and full of copy paste enemies but its funny how that plays into the lore of it being the very bottom of the world and the creation of all the demons or whatever

bed of chaos sucks mechanically i suppose but if you look up the solution its easier than every other dark souls boss besides pinwheel

Why would you need to look up the solution? It literally has two giant glowing weak points that when bonked reveal the third giant glowing weak point. It’s basically a Mario boss.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

That post is kind of funny because Rogue Trader is the first WH40k game ever made that explicitly doesn't do that unless you deliberately choose the Nazi alignment, and like half of everything that happens is about exploring things like labor relations and how hosed up exactly that kind of dogmatic slavering adherence to the Imperium is.

Ah okay add in "whoa all the hosed up purging the unclean is hosed up" to the list.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Why would you need to look up the solution? It literally has two giant glowing weak points that when bonked reveal the third giant glowing weak point. It’s basically a Mario boss.

I caught on to the left and right ones easy enough but it took me quite awhile to realize where I needed to go after that and half a dozen deaths from getting whacked into the bottomless pits that are all over the fuckin place before I won so ehhh

Call it good or bad or whatever but it wasn't much fun

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Call it good or bad or whatever but it wasn't much fun

Essentially sums up the last couple hours of every single Dark Souls entry in a sentence for me, honestly.

Except for Elden Ring. Where that sentiment could stand in as my opinion of the game as a whole. I still have no idea why Elden Ring exists.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mudlark posted:

Essentially sums up the last couple hours of every single Dark Souls entry in a sentence for me, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Those games check every box for what I want in a game and I find playing them utterly joyless. It’s like King Crimson was a video game.