Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Elon Musk's mom is just mad his dad divorced her for her daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Also Starlink has possibly the worst customer support in the industry, which is incredible since that includes Comcast.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Elon's dream to make Total Recall a reality came true.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

drilldo squirt posted:

It's actually very festive to have a family wreath instead of a family tree. Fighting the woke war on Christmas.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

CitizenKain posted:

Also Starlink has possibly the worst customer support in the industry, which is incredible since that includes Comcast.

It's being run exactly like other Musk companies are. Customer support is a useless money sink to him, so it's just a bot generating poop emojis when you ask anything. Both DoD and Putin have a direct line to Musk to get poo poo done, however, anyone else needs to hope and pray to get an answer to any issues or concerns, hopefully within 6 months.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Elon is apparently joining Bari Weiss in starting his own sham university in Austin

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-12-13/musk-planning-new-university-in-austin-with-100-million-gift

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

making the world better by dumping oodles of money into dumb vanity projects and poorly thought out space excursions

I am beginning to think that elon is actually a hindrance on space exploration. He got spacex started and made it a big deal, but his midlife crisis has undermined him so badly, it might start impacting his non-tesla business

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Krispy Wafer posted:

America's biggest welfare queen upset that he's not getting another $900 million.

My guess, since Starlink satellites have to be replaced often the government realized SpaceX was going to use that leverage to create a permanent subsidy. Laying fiber to rural areas is expensive, but it's mostly an one time cost.

No, actually they didn't even get to that part, Starlink is struggling to average 50Mbps with declining performance because the system doesn't scale, the FCC contract require a base speed of 100mbps. SpaceX did the typical Musk thing and was like, yes, but ACTUALLY this is just proof of concept and don't worry, we have improvements coming that are just amazing. The FCC was like, we actually had serious concerns that what you were promising was even technically possible and we went ahead and gave you a chance to prove us wrong and you failed.

This whole "No one has ever been required to prove this so far in the future before!" is just the FCC saying this is an incredibly novel technology that we have major concerns about the technical limitations of, we gave you a chance to show us you could deliver and you can't, even before we get to scaling issues. We are not giving you almost a billion dollars when you are just saying, without any evidence, that in the future this technology will meet our contract requirements, especially when other companies are offering solutions based on proven technology that we know for a fact is capable of delivering on the contract because it is already widely deployed and operating at said speeds.

FCC posted:

When it established procedures for Auction 904, the Commission considered
categorically excluding low earth orbit (LEO) satellite providers from applying to bid to offer low-latency
services, noting that it was unaware of any real-world examples of LEOs providing the low-latency
service that RDOF’s low-latency service tier required.22 Ultimately, the Commission allowed LEO
providers to apply to bid to provide low-latency service, but noted its concerns as to whether LEO
providers would even be able to meet the short-form application requirements for bidding in the low
latency tier.

In fact, the Commission specifically noted its concerns with “applicants that propose to use
technologies that have not been widely deployed to offer services at high speeds or low latency, or have
not been deployed at all on a commercial basis to retail consumers.”

Despite the fact that it had only just recently started offering mass-market service using a
nascent LEO satellite technology in the early stages of deployment, SpaceX, Starlink’s parent company,
bid in the first round of the auction for $15,999,984,230 of 10-year support to deploy 100/20 Mbps lowlatency service to 2,590,563 locations in 49 states.29 At the conclusion of the auction, SpaceX was the
winning bidder for $885,509,638.40 in 10-year support to deploy 100/20 Mbps low-latency service to
642,925 locations in 35 states.

Finally, on June 3, 2022, the
Bureau sent a formal letter to Starlink (June 3rd Letter) that described the Starlink application’s
deficiencies and provided Starlink a final opportunity to demonstrate its qualifications for support.
Among other things, the Bureau asked Starlink to explain why its network performance was below the
required minimum speeds of 100/20 Mbps

After reviewing all of the information submitted by Starlink, the Bureau ultimately
concluded that Starlink had not shown that it was reasonably capable of fulfilling RDOF’s requirements
to deploy a network of the scope, scale, and size required to serve the 642,925 model locations in 35
states for which it was the winning bidder.

Technical Capability. Starlink argues that the Bureau erroneously concluded that
Starlink was not reasonably capable of offering the required service in the areas where it won support
because of Starlink’s technical limitations,53 and that the Bureau should not have relied on Ookla speedtests

The rest won't copy and paste, probably because of the redactions but basically it is SpaceX whining that the FCC should just trust them that the system is going to be so amazing in the future and how Starship is going to change everything with the Starlink second generation satellites and the FCC, honest to god says we are not going to guess what is going to happen with Starship and Starlink second generation satellites because you haven't even successful launched Starship and actual the times you have tried the thing has blown up.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-23-105A1.pdf

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 13, 2023

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Send that $900m to Hamas lol shake things up over there a little bit

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Well this is just begging for a community note.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm eager for Starlink to die because we already have enough garbage in orbit and as far as I know the Starlink satellites are still loving up astrophotography. Elon is ironically, but unsurprisingly, moving us closer to Kessler syndrome and keeping us trapped on Earth forever

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Coffee Jones posted:

This bro just confidently techsplaining like he knows what he’s talking about
Just leaving behind a trail of bored dates just checking their phones as he drones on

There's a funny bit at the start that's missing from this version, they spend a while sitting at an intersection waiting for the car to move, in its most aggressive setting. They even fast forward the footage for a while before finally giving in and manually driving it across. Smash cut to the start here, confidently explaining how the lack of mapping information and additional sensors is actually a good thing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol things are going well

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

can't get hacked if nothing works

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
lmfao.gif

!!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kazil posted:

lol things are going well

Lmao. Try clicking on a link in one of the embedded tweets on the last page, this is legit

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

No, actually they didn't even get to that part, Starlink is struggling to average 50Mbps with declining performance because the system doesn't scale, the FCC contract require a base speed of 100mbps. SpaceX did the typical Musk thing and was like, yes, but ACTUALLY this is just proof of concept and don't worry, we have improvements coming that are just amazing. The FCC was like, we actually had serious concerns that what you were promising was even technically possible and we went ahead and gave you a chance to prove us wrong and you failed.

This whole "No one has ever been required to prove this so far in the future before!" is just the FCC saying this is an incredibly novel technology that we have major concerns about the technical limitations of, we gave you a chance to show us you could deliver and you can't, even before we get to scaling issues. We are not giving you almost a billion dollars when you are just saying, without any evidence, that in the future this technology will meet our contract requirements, especially when other companies are offering solutions based on proven technology that we know for a fact is capable of delivering on the contract because it is already widely deployed and operating at said speeds.

The rest won't copy and paste, probably because of the redactions but basically it is SpaceX whining that the FCC should just trust them that the system is going to be so amazing in the future and how Starship is going to change everything with the Starlink second generation satellites and the FCC, honest to god says we are not going to guess what is going to happen with Starship and Starlink second generation satellites because you haven't even successful launched Starship and actual the times you have tried the thing has blown up.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-23-105A1.pdf

I've wondered how well launching thousands of satellites scales to something other than a war zone and I guess the answer is not at all.

LTE and 5G are probably the best and cheapest ways to bring broadband to remote areas. Sounds like a job for the Muskfone that he promised so long ago along with those leather goddesses of Phobos.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Linda keep up lol

Your webpage is broken

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

i dont understand this person does he truly think linda is... capable?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Kit Walker posted:

I'm eager for Starlink to die because we already have enough garbage in orbit and as far as I know the Starlink satellites are still loving up astrophotography. Elon is ironically, but unsurprisingly, moving us closer to Kessler syndrome and keeping us trapped on Earth forever

Not just photography. I saw a line of them in the sky just the other night. It freaked my partner out because she had no idea about Musk's efforts to gently caress up the night sky

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The satellites are already failing in droves because they are cheap piles of poo poo. Musk is literally ruining space for everybody.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
at least they're low enough to deorbit eventually. a few years after elon finishes his lowtax speedrun, they won't be a problem anymore

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

this gave me some lols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ll2_BDZpI4

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elon Musk likes rockets PHWOOOSH, trucks VROOOOOOM, and fast cars NEEERRRRRR. He also likes big machines that dig CHCHCHCHCHCH.

These are Elon Musk's businesses, not building a satellite network or going to mars. It's just "launching rockets" to him, and making dumb 420 jokes. It's not sustainable electric car markets or effective car designs, it's just "fast cars" and "trucks that look cool (to him)". He also likes money, and is more than willing to hold back and ruin things so that he can make money (like killing alternatives to cars).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Looking in to this

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

2 minute video of Tesla fanboy bragging about his Model 3's self driving, while the Model 3 tries to violently kill him and his passenger

https://twitter.com/elaifresh/status/1727889381309239731?t=xOHOkLSql0ym0K0ayVnZ4g&s=19

Even when this thing isn't trying to kill you, it's driving like someone with dementia. If someone drove me around like this, I'd ask to be let out.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

ElGroucho posted:

Even when this thing isn't trying to kill you, it's driving like someone with dementia. If someone drove me around like this, I'd ask to be let out.

Wow, ableist much? You sit there and you let senile KITT drive you directly into the side of that tanker, or the woke mind virus wins

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Elon Musk likes rockets PHWOOOSH, trucks VROOOOOOM, and fast cars NEEERRRRRR. He also likes big machines that dig CHCHCHCHCHCH.

These are Elon Musk's businesses, not building a satellite network or going to mars. It's just "launching rockets" to him, and making dumb 420 jokes. It's not sustainable electric car markets or effective car designs, it's just "fast cars" and "trucks that look cool (to him)". He also likes money, and is more than willing to hold back and ruin things so that he can make money (like killing alternatives to cars).

Elon has a lot in common with my little cousin when he was 9, then

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

rotinaj posted:

Elon also prefers his mother to fight his battles

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

Your cousin probably had way less temper tantrums

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Lol, big Tesla recall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67693935.amp

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Looking in to this

:argh: jjjjjeeeeeeewwwwwsssss!!!! :argh:

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
ronaldo saying media matters did this.gif

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haha it's for every Tesla sold that has the autopilot feature

Isn't that literally almost every Tesla from the past few years?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've wondered how well launching thousands of satellites scales to something other than a war zone and I guess the answer is not at all.

LTE and 5G are probably the best and cheapest ways to bring broadband to remote areas. Sounds like a job for the Muskfone that he promised so long ago along with those leather goddesses of Phobos.

I'm not convinced 5G is a great solution in remote areas, compared to previous technology you've got to be really close to the tower for it to work so in sparsely populated areas you need a shitload of towers per unit of population which drives the cost per user way up.

I don't mind Starlink. It's no substitute for fibre optics but it's decent, and it's managed to get more or less global coverage for less cost than Australia's NBN program. I don't know how sustainable it is long term but for now it seems better than the alternatives available where I am.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't know how sustainable it is long term but for now it seems better than the alternatives available where I am.

It's not at all, by Elon's own admission. But don't worry, everything will be fine once he finishes Starlink V2 and Starship.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

drilldo squirt posted:

His dad divorced her and married another lady, then divorced that lady and married her daughter

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

more like Starstink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Aesop Poprock posted:

Haha it's for every Tesla sold that has the autopilot feature

Isn't that literally almost every Tesla from the past few years?

Yeah for real I think they all ship with it, you just have to spend $15,000 to unlock the DLC lol