Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

with all the players that can be acquired at the deadline for just money??

lovely teams dump contracts at the deadline all the time.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Poque posted:

Money can be exchanged for Goodens and Servaises.

someone keep this on hand for the next thread title

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Craptacular! posted:

Seiya Suzuki signing with the Cubs is specifically cited as a time where the Bay Area was perceived as being less safe (than Chicago???)

The following cities with MLB teams have a higher violent crime rate than Chicago:
  1. San Francisco (#4)
  2. St. Louis (#5)
  3. Oakland (#6)
  4. Seattle (#14)
  5. Cincinnati (#16)
  6. Baltimore (#17)
  7. Cleveland (#18)
  8. Atlanta (#20)
  9. Minneapolis (#21)
  10. Kansas City (#22)
  11. Detroit (#23)
  12. Washington DC (#29)
  13. Houston (#30)
  14. Miami (#33)
  15. Milwaukee (#43)
  16. Phoenix (#47)
  17. Denver (#48)
  18. Chicago (#55)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

lovely teams dump contracts at the deadline all the time.....
the time to use money to improve a roster is right now, not July

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also why do the Dodgers want Manuel Margot, a guy with nearly 3000 PA of sub-.700 OPS?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Also why do the Dodgers want Manuel Margot, a guy with nearly 3000 PA of sub-.700 OPS?

The Dodgers magical machine that will make him good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The following cities with MLB teams have a higher violent crime rate than Chicago:
  1. San Francisco (#4)
  2. St. Louis (#5)
  3. Oakland (#6)
  4. Seattle (#14)
  5. Cincinnati (#16)
  6. Baltimore (#17)
  7. Cleveland (#18)
  8. Atlanta (#20)
  9. Minneapolis (#21)
  10. Kansas City (#22)
  11. Detroit (#23)
  12. Washington DC (#29)
  13. Houston (#30)
  14. Miami (#33)
  15. Milwaukee (#43)
  16. Phoenix (#47)
  17. Denver (#48)
  18. Chicago (#55)

yeah but what's the Minneapolis rate if you don't count the police

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

much like "never trade with the Rays" this is overstated

see: Syndergaard, Noah

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

1. San Francisco (#4)
  2. St. Louis (#5)
  3. Oakland (#6)
  4. Seattle (#14)
  5. Cincinnati (#16)
  6. Baltimore (#17)
  7. Cleveland (#18)
  8. Atlanta (#20)
  9. Minneapolis (#21)
  10. Kansas City (#22)
  11. Detroit (#23)
  12. Washington DC (#29)
  13. Houston (#30)
  14. Miami (#33)
  15. Milwaukee (#43)
  16. Phoenix (#47)
  17. Denver (#48)
  18. Chicago (#55)

I'm just gonna keep a screenshot of this to show my dumbass relatives when they get pissy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

R.D. Mangles posted:

In the regular season.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I think his Trop/non-Trop splits are pretty significant, causing some to speculate he may have trouble seeing the ball there a la Willy Adames.

Also hello thread long time no see. Here to aid Dodger posters in their posting efforts 🫡

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah but what's the Minneapolis rate if you don't count the police

Removing the police impact will not help Minneapolis against Chicago, heh.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

rickiep00h posted:

I'm just gonna keep a screenshot of this to show my dumbass relatives when they get pissy.

Here's another good one. Violent crime is as low as its been here since the early 70's, but who needs facts, right?
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-r...lent-crime_02c/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vernacular posted:

I think his Trop/non-Trop splits are pretty significant, causing some to speculate he may have trouble seeing the ball there a la Willy Adames.

Also hello thread long time no see. Here to aid Dodger posters in their posting efforts 🫡
Ok but he was also bad in 1500 PA as a Padres so not sure I buy that

Welcome! Would you like some Ohtani to go with your posting?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

those are cool except the last one looks like it has a piss aura

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bawfuls posted:

MODS?!?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does anyone want a copy of MVP Baseball 2005 for Xbox for free?
It's a useless disk to me because I don't own an OG Xbox but maybe someone in this thread does and would like to have their own copy of the greatest baseball game ever made?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bregor posted:

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/1725663781768810508?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Kinda wild, Senzel was supposed to be The Guy in Cincy and just can’t stay healthy

He's still a minor celebrity in Knoxville and everybody here thinks he's the nicest guy.
I'm sure there are plenty of teams lined up to offer him a AAA contract with an NRI. He's certainly worth keeping around as a break glass guy.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Thanks! Will consider for the future but gonna stick with avatar-less posting for now.

I very much hope we get Tyler Glasnow but the price does seem a little steep, assuming there are more pieces in play.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

It's a useless disk to me because I don't own an OG Xbox but maybe someone in this thread does and would like to have their own copy of the greatest baseball game ever made?

I don't think Bad News Baseball ever came out on anything outside the original NES

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/adbert29/status/1734933264098529773?s=20

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Joe Kelly taking #99 is the kinda informed trolling I can support

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

matti posted:

That's the color from the anime still, I tried blue but it didn't really pop, white looks good if you forum in darkmode

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:hmmyes:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

bawfuls posted:

white looks good if you forum in darkmode

Who doesn’t forum in darkmode? lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Bregor posted:

:)/

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

bawfuls posted:

his splits V lefties are reasonably competent (.281/.341/.420 career) and he plays a competent enough OF to do some platooning with Outman/Heyward. Honestly probably more "the Rays want out of his contract and will accept less prospects for glasnow" than it is that they desperately want Margot though

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
He only has 1/10 left on his contract, are the Rays really that che- oh right

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tadashi posted:

Is that the one that has Tessie on it, because if so I am forced to dispute your claim

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

matti posted:

that is correct Ohtani does have a piss aura now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bregor posted:

Darkmode actually makes my eyes hurt more than lightmode for some reason lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Apparently the Brewers knew everything Cubs pitchers were going to throw in 2018 because they didn't trust Contreras to call games, and so were obviously and sloppily calling pitches from the dugout whenever he was catching, and the Brewers caught on.

V: lol, and dare I say it, lmao.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bawfuls posted:

They love collecting bad contracts?

Intruder posted:

He only has 1/10 left on his contract, are the Rays really that che- oh right

No, it’s fine, he’ll get his contract renewed in Carousel

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tadashi posted:

He's still a minor celebrity in Knoxville and everybody here thinks he's the nicest guy.
I'm sure there are plenty of teams lined up to offer him a AAA contract with an NRI. He's certainly worth keeping around as a break glass guy.

He's already signed with the Nats

Bregor
May 31, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Darkmode actually makes my eyes hurt more than lightmode for some reason lol

Goondolences

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

He's already signed with the Nats

Stenzel Washington

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

N: Apparently the Brewers knew everything Cubs pitchers were going to throw in 2018 because they didn't trust Contreras to call games, and so were obviously and sloppily calling pitches from the dugout whenever he was catching, and the Brewers caught on.

V: lol, and dare I say it, lmao.

I was at that 163 and it went from the joyous elation of a Rizzo bomb to people leaving early very quickly.

But mostly I won't stand for this shameful assassination of Willson Contreras. Dude just can't catch (heh) a break. Either he's genuinely so bad at his position that teams just won't leave him be, or he gives off that impression (or, I guess, he accepts their criticism regardless of his actual ability), and I don't know what's worse. Like, I don't think you get to the MLB level by being so bad you have your primary responsibility taken away from you. How much of his reputation is based on the Cubs telegraphing pitch calls?

Yikes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crime stats are completely fake

Like less real than horoscopes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rickiep00h posted:

I was at that 163 and it went from the joyous elation of a Rizzo bomb to people leaving early very quickly.

But mostly I won't stand for this shameful assassination of Willson Contreras. Dude just can't catch (heh) a break. Either he's genuinely so bad at his position that teams just won't leave him be, or he gives off that impression (or, I guess, he accepts their criticism regardless of his actual ability), and I don't know what's worse. Like, I don't think you get to the MLB level by being so bad you have your primary responsibility taken away from you. How much of his reputation is based on the Cubs telegraphing pitch calls?

Yikes.

I mean it's not really said if the Cubs were calling pitches for Contreras the whole time he was with the Cubs, or it was just a 2018 thing. 2018 was the first full season Contreras was taking over primary catching duty and it saw their two major FA starters eat total poo poo, with Contreras specifically being criticized for his weird pitch calling with Darvish and Carrots eventually taking over as Yu's primary catcher once he returned from injury the following year. Maybe they decided he just didn't look ready and somebody else should be calling pitches? The whole thing is really weird.

And look I love me some Contreras, gently caress those cowards for dangling him in trade talks forever then letting him walk to the birds as they publicly trashed him on the way out, but it's not like the Cardinals didn't also have a bunch of hiccups with Contreras behind the plate and we've now got stories out of two orgs that Contreras was asked to do certain things behind the scenes in terms of game prep, game calling, staff management, etc and he just blew it off to do things his own preferred way. Contreras is a great hitter and a really fun player to watch, but he just does not seem to have the mentality teams are looking for in a franchise catcher. :shrug:

Bregor posted:

Dark mode on desktop / light mode in the awful app is the perfect balance imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I don't want to fight over this, but your list only aligns with the data if you sort by property crime. If you sort by violent crime totals, San Francisco is 37, Los Angeles is 32, and Chicago is 17.

In far more offensive takes:

Sydin posted:

light mode in the awful app

Eeesh. What'd that poor battery do to you. Especially if your model is OLED.