Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah the sandpaper gumminess is the killer. you'll have to change pads more often than you think and it's just a loving mess. just shave it off w a big knife :chef:

e:

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Yeah I've had much better luck getting finish off with an edge tool vs sandpaper. Card scraper, Stanley #80 cabinet scraper or a handplane do a nice job where sandpaper gets gummy.

I'd also start with a small corner or something first, are you sure that it's solid? It looks like it has perimeter edging which means it may be a veneered sheet good.

agreed im not convinced by the appearance it's solid wood but its only 2 pics and i don't know for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Hmm yeah. It definitely has 1/4 inch edge banding

I suppose it could be ply and veneered on both sides

Here's the unstained side:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If the banding is solid wood you're good to sand or plane, we are talking about more like the iron/glue on paper thin edge banding style stuff commonly used on plywood but that looks more like some sort of mitered, boring molding? someone else confirm im no expert. those pics make me lean more towards solid wood now

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm thinking of making a record cabinet out of this old tabletop.

I think it's cherry, but it has this horrific gel stain on it:

My plan is to sand it all off before I cut it up into pieces for the project. I'm gonna start with 80 grit in the orbital. Does that sound like the right approach?
Fairly certain this is a veneered. You can use a chemical stripper to remove the finish and only have to sand lightly, but trying to remove the finish mechanically (and a scraper is a waaaaay better option than trying to sand the finish off) will very likely lead to you sanding/planing through the face veneer and that’s a real hard fuckup to fix so it looks nice…unless you cover it with horrifically dark gel stain that might as well be paint, which is where you are now.

E: oops didn’t see the new page. Yes that is absolutely cherry veneered plywood. The finish is some real crazed lacquer or poly or possibly conversion varnish, none of which are particularly pleasant to strip. If it’s plain old nitrocellulose lacquer, it won’t be too bad to strip chemically but poly or CV are a pain and will have to be stripped mechanically which leads us back to my original reply.

Basically stripping this thing is going to be a fuckton of fairly miserable work to salvage a (damaged) $150 sheet of plywood. But maybe you think that sounds like a cool adventure or it’s sentimental or somethin! If so, get some lacquer thinner and pour a little on the table top and let it sit for a minute. If it softens the lacquer (or better yet, let’s you scrape it off) it shouldn’t be too bad to strip either with just straight lacquer thinner (smelly, kinda dangerous, slow, do it outside for sure) or with a stripper made for lacquer. I used to use Kutzit or stripeeze from savogran but they had to take the good stuff out of non-industrial stripper a few years ago and I haven’t tried them since, and and thankfully I don’t do refinishing anymore anyway. IF it’s lacquer and you can strip it chemically, that’s your best chance of not sanding through the face veneers, and there’s a good chance a lot of the color will come off too. If it’s colored with a dye (probably at least partly is) instead of a pigment, bleach or oxalic acid will usually remove that. BUT now you’re spending $75 in stripper, sandpaper, gloves, goggles, etc to save a $150 sheet of plywood.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 9, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Hah, not that married to this! Given it's not solid wood I'll just use it for scrap in projects. Maybe I can use a chunk of the unstained part for something. I'm glad I asked!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Me again, with a different wood-related project:

Making a rain barrel for my MiL as a Christmas gift, she hates plastic stuff so bought a used spirits barrel on Marketplace to convert. My plan is pond liner on the inside, add a spigot on the bottom (and an overflow valve up top), plus a mesh screen to keep mozzies out.

Since it's going to be outside I want to try and weatherproof the exterior wood as best I can, can anyone recommend a stain/sealant (and roughly how much I should look to buy)? It already seems to be a bit weathered, so techniques/products to help bring it back a bit would also be great to have some recommendations on!

Was thinking from the Tool Library I'd want to grab an orbital sander for the wood and maybe a Dremel for polishing up the metal hoops.

I do have some leftover urethane sealant, would that work on the metal?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

so the way a traditional oak barrel is built is the wood is assembled slightly loose and the hoops are driven on, and when you fill it with liquid the wood swells a bit to tighten up and seal. There's no glue or anything holding the staves together. So you're right to get a liner, but I dunno how you'll protect the bit of wood under the hoops unless you remove the hoops, and if you do that you're rapidly going to have a pile of barrel staves.

IMO just install it like it is and accept the natural weathering.

If you really wanna, though, marine spar varnish is the best for preserving wood subject to lots of UV and wet. Second after that is I guess deck sealant, fence sealant, the stuff they sell in a gallon bucket at the home center for slapping all over your wood deck or fence. Since it's a lot of wood I would go that way rather than spending a ton on the amount of epifanes you'll need.

If you sand it first that's fine but again I don't think you can sand beneath where the hoops are.

I imagine it'd take a million years to polish those hoops with a dremel. I'd chuck a wire wheel into a drill and see how that goes.

e. I am also interested in how you will get the liner inside. Are you planning to cut the barrel in half?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Does it need a liner? It’s purpose in life was to store liquid.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I don't think the liner was to protect the wood, but rather the collected rainwater from the wood.

I bought a barrel that was used to store olives and converted it, and the water definitely smelled like olives for a long time. Still does a bit.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
If it's a white oak barrel I can't imagine it needs any protection on the outside either, isn't it basically imputrescible?

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I dunno, barrels can be a basis for fun projects. I've turned one into a nightstand, and another into a decorative waterfall/fountain thing for a friend, for example. Going off of those experiences, here's what I've got:

1) Maybe don't plan on using it for drinking? There is no universe in which the collected water won't taste weird, no matter what you do. Also potential for some fun exotic diseases.

2) It'll probably hold water just fine as-is, provided you seal up the bung hole (heh). It also might not, and a pond liner is going to be the most economical choice to keep it from leaking.

3) The efficient masochist knows to skip the Dremel, toss on some nipple clamps, and hit the hoops with a wire wheel and drill. Or just rub them with some wet-to-dry sandpaper if there's not a lot of schmutz.

4) If you pop a couple of hoops off, you can pry out the lid. Only remove half of the hoops at a time, and all on one side, or it will disintegrate. No, you will never get it back together right. Yes, even if you mark the staves in some kind of order. No, I don't know how coopers do it, either.

5) Once it's all back together and otherwise completely done, slap a bunch of spar urethane all over the outside, hoops and all. Untreated wooden barrels don't do great sitting outside in an uncontrolled environment, and it'll start looking pretty gross after the first rainy season.

Post progress pictures! It might not be a bespoke cabinet with impossible marquetry, but it's still a cool project.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 10, 2023

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

A neighbor/friend of mine just finished remodeling her kitchen and wanted a new dining table to go in it. She's not done much woodworking, but is a DIY type, so she asked if we could build one together. We just finished assembling it and got it into place this morning.

It was fun teaching & getting to know each other better. We split the work about in half, I'd show her the technique, then let her work until her confidence waned or she wanted a break, and take over for a bit. She picked up on everything real quick, so it was a smooth & enjoyable project. I didn't think to take many pictures, but I put a few below. Pretty straightforward build: prep each board and glue them on one-by-one. Then cut the breadboard tenons and prep the mortise boards. Three dowels up through the bottom to hold it together.

6/4 red oak, breadboard ends. Four coats of shellac with a layer of clear paste wax on top. The base is metal and was purchased from Etsy (please don't judge; I've never done a pedestal or trestle table base, and she wanted it done before the heat death of the universe).

Wood selection at the lumber yard:

Complete and awaiting finish:

All done:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nice work! That's a good table.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's a nice & solid table. The base might be ehhh, but the lovely thing of these items is that you can always put a different one underneath at a later date.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Just Winging It posted:

That's a nice & solid table. The base might be ehhh, but the lovely thing of these items is that you can always put a different one underneath at a later date.

And work up some drawings, get the lumber and make it, get to know her even better....

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Just wanted to show off a thing my dad made for us, based on a picture I took in Iceland

He gave me a legend of the wood types (it’s a lot) but I don’t know where it is atm

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dupersaurus posted:

Just wanted to show off a thing my dad made for us, based on a picture I took in Iceland

He gave me a legend of the wood types (it’s a lot) but I don’t know where it is atm

Thats impressive as all hell.

What a nice gift

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

This is wild, what a cool gift.

Does anyone have experience with benchtop bandsaws? My dad has had a full size one that’s been broken for probably fifteen years, and he’s accepted that he’s never going to get it fixed. He’s interested in the benchtop ones so he can cut various shapes out of wood that will probably max out at 2 inches thick, and usually be about an inch (not using it for milling or anything).

Are they kinda like drill presses where they seem to all be the same machine from the same factory with maybe some tolerance differences? I’m thinking of getting him the Wen from Home Depot but want to hear if that’s a bad idea versus waiting for something to pop up on marketplace.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Schiavona posted:

Does anyone have experience with benchtop bandsaws? My dad has had a full size one that’s been broken for probably fifteen years, and he’s accepted that he’s never going to get it fixed. He’s interested in the benchtop ones so he can cut various shapes out of wood that will probably max out at 2 inches thick, and usually be about an inch (not using it for milling or anything).

Are they kinda like drill presses where they seem to all be the same machine from the same factory with maybe some tolerance differences? I’m thinking of getting him the Wen from Home Depot but want to hear if that’s a bad idea versus waiting for something to pop up on marketplace.

Good news for you and dad if you're in the US

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Last night's project. Can't find our usual advent candle holder (a pretty cool looking porcelain one) so I threw this together from a piece of wood I had. Basically just planing/jointing, cutting and ripping. Then drilling and finally some handplaning before finishing with oil & wax. I tried to keep al the edges as sharp as I could. I bet that's not gonna last. Quick project though, less than an hour.

Advent candles is a scandinavian tradition anyway starting the 4th sunday before christmas. Every sunday you light one more candle.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Schiavona posted:

I think the general thread consensus (also my opinion) is that 3-wheel benchtop bandsaws are bad. Any idea what's ailing his old one?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last night's project. Can't find our usual advent candle holder (a pretty cool looking porcelain one) so I threw this together from a piece of wood I had. Basically just planing/jointing, cutting and ripping. Then drilling and finally some handplaning before finishing with oil & wax. I tried to keep al the edges as sharp as I could. I bet that's not gonna last. Quick project though, less than an hour.

Advent candles is a scandinavian tradition anyway starting the 4th sunday before christmas. Every sunday you light one more candle.

That's really nice wood. Looks like teak to me.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think the general thread consensus (also my opinion) is that 3-wheel benchtop bandsaws are bad. Any idea what's ailing his old one.

Three wheeled for sure, never heard anything about them that wasn't negative. There's plenty of two wheeled bench top bandsaws though that are probably ok for thinner stock but I can't spell much to them. For the price you'd pay for a decent bench top you can probably get an old 14" used if you keep your eyes peeled. To give you an idea I got a really nice Rikon 14" for $500 I want to say, and ran across a lot of listings for older ones cheaper than that. Unless space is a concern obviously.

Definitely do wonder what's wrong with the old one though. If it's a generic stand up bandsaws there's not much to go wrong with them that can't be fixed.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I got a 10" Rikon for free, so for the price of a new blade and a new belt, it's great.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

benchtop bandsaws tend to be bad because 1. the pulley system etc. take a fixed amount of space under the work area to do the job of a bandsaw, shrinking them way down and moving them up to the top of a table sacrifices a ton of performance for mostly just the illusion of space savings and 2. at a certain level of cheapness manufacturers start making actually important parts out of plastic, which will break in 3-4 years and you will have a hell of a time repairing or replacing. Jobsite table saws, say, have similar issues but at least the end result is portable enough that you can toss it in a truck and take it to a jobsite, I have never seen someone do this with a bandsaw. Three-wheels compound all the same problems by being overcomplicated to boot, and sometimes shrinking the pulleys past the point where they're shortening blade life.

bandsaws tend to have a degree of parts commonality (mostly not down at the gimmick end ime, but half the 14" saws out there cribbed their consumables off the Delta-Rockwell 14") but they're not as standardized as drill presses, I wouldn't count on being able to find parts for an uncommon make. On the plus side most of the stuff on a bandsaw is low-impact enough that a decently handy person with a well-stocked shop could fabricate them

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 13, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
milwaukee makes one that slays rear end. ive cut so much conduit and uchannel with this and its great

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just watched a video yesterday where a dude cut through like 6 inches of pecan with a benchtop rikon.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My Spirit Otter posted:

milwaukee makes one that slays rear end. ive cut so much conduit and uchannel with this and its great

those handheld ones do whip for metals

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Some more progress on the darkbox:

In hindsight I should have rotated the vertical pieces at the back 90 degrees so I wasn't using L-brackets for all the joins in the middle (I did this with the one I built previously but didn't think to do it this time), but it seems solid enough for my purposes. Had the thought several times that I really need to take some proper classes. I am hoping time and budget allow for a few next year when I get in-state residency.

Too late now, but would dowels have been a good way to join this together or no?

Going to Lowes later today and have a question about hinges: what do I want for one that goes a bit more than 180 degrees? It doesn't need to be much more, but due to the curvature of the hatch and height requirements of the silver tank, I'm having to use just a single piece of plywood for the lid sloping down at an angle.

Suntan Boy posted:

I dunno, barrels can be a basis for fun projects. I've turned one into a nightstand, and another into a decorative waterfall/fountain thing for a friend, for example. Going off of those experiences, here's what I've got:

1) Maybe don't plan on using it for drinking? There is no universe in which the collected water won't taste weird, no matter what you do. Also potential for some fun exotic diseases.

2) It'll probably hold water just fine as-is, provided you seal up the bung hole (heh). It also might not, and a pond liner is going to be the most economical choice to keep it from leaking.

3) The efficient masochist knows to skip the Dremel, toss on some nipple clamps, and hit the hoops with a wire wheel and drill. Or just rub them with some wet-to-dry sandpaper if there's not a lot of schmutz.

4) If you pop a couple of hoops off, you can pry out the lid. Only remove half of the hoops at a time, and all on one side, or it will disintegrate. No, you will never get it back together right. Yes, even if you mark the staves in some kind of order. No, I don't know how coopers do it, either.

5) Once it's all back together and otherwise completely done, slap a bunch of spar urethane all over the outside, hoops and all. Untreated wooden barrels don't do great sitting outside in an uncontrolled environment, and it'll start looking pretty gross after the first rainy season.

Post progress pictures! It might not be a bespoke cabinet with impossible marquetry, but it's still a cool project.

Will do on the project pics! Picked up a few odds and ends I needed at the Tool Library on Tuesday (wire wheel, chisel, crowbar, ratchet strap for keeping it together just in case) and going to start on it in the next few days.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm working on a dog pen rn. I can't remember if I posted about it before, but I'm in late stages now. The design is that it's going to be four frames, which attach or disassemble at the corners with half laps and carriage bolts (with home-made wooden knobs), and then the fence part is going to be metal cage panels which go into grooves in those frames with the same mechanism as a sliding panel door on a cabinet - a shallow groove at the bottom, deeper groove at the top, slide up, in, and down. Pretty much everything is built. I have a couple more grooves to do, but so far things fit nicely, and I'll probably start cutting the half laps and gluing things up this weekend.

Anyway I've encountered a stupid, tiny problem in a later phase: I've found that the cage panels are a tiny bit more flexible than I'd like and doggy might just be able to headbutt them out if she's really persistent (she's big and goofy). I can probably mitigate this if I just have some kind of removable tab that I can set to keep the panel from popping out of place if the panel gets bent. If I really need to, I can do this with screws and aluminium tabs, or some other kind of hardware. The spaces between the cage bars are 1", and the grooves are 1/4 inch wide, and 3/8 deep at the bottom: I just need something to cover that gap, something which isn't too expensive or too much of a hassle to install a bunch of them. Given that I'm putting a lot of effort into making a nice wooden pen for my pretty doggy, I'd like these to be either wood, hard to notice, or nice to look at. I'd also like for them to be removed without tools.

Suggestions?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Suggestions?

Kind of hard to imagine exactly what you're describing without a picture or something, but can you not make the grooves deeper?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I think I get what he's saying.

I'd probably try something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Figure-Steel-Desk-Fastener/dp/B07QPT53W4.

e: I missed the part about removing without tools, but I'm not sure why you would ever remove them?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Just banged out David Picciuto's wine bottle topper for a work 'rob your neighbor' holiday party. Super simple and quick! Took about an afternoon from making the template to finishing the final product (including throwing the first one across the shop in anger after my flush trim bit took a big bite out of it).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I think I get what he's saying.

I'd probably try something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Figure-Steel-Desk-Fastener/dp/B07QPT53W4.

e: I missed the part about removing without tools, but I'm not sure why you would ever remove them?

Cleaning. Dogs can be gross. We learned this from the prototype.

I'll make a diagram.

Making the grooves deeper wouldn't solve the problem, I don't think.

e.

Please forgive my messy shop I'm ashamed but that's the picture I have handy. That's just the picture I took when test fitting.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 15, 2023

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A C shaped clip that pops over the whole rail?

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

It looks like the grooves are only on the top and bottom pieces allowing the mesh panel to potentially bow out. You could reinforce it with vertical wooden strips attached to the fence grid. If you leave a gap at the top it could be removed with the fencing and just stay part of that panel.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Darkbox is coming along! (front panel was unscrewed so I could prop some pieces of wood under the lid to screw the piano hinge in place).

Basically a toy box right now, lol. The one I made out of a big plastic gear case back in Australia used a gas strut for the lid which in hindsight was a mistake (put stress on the whole thing when closed and eventually broke the admittedly flimsy plastic latches, despite picking the smallest one), so I used these simple folding metal support things which seem like they're going to work a lot better.

We'll see if I've got the nerve to start the barrel this weekend.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 16, 2023

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh poo poo we have the same car in the same color. I dunno why I didn't realize that in other photos.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

nostrata posted:

It looks like the grooves are only on the top and bottom pieces allowing the mesh panel to potentially bow out. You could reinforce it with vertical wooden strips attached to the fence grid. If you leave a gap at the top it could be removed with the fencing and just stay part of that panel.

Could also handle it like an inset panel cabinet door and put grooves on both sides instead of just one so that the vertical member can slide out like the mesh, though in both cases that probably changes the dimensions of the whole project.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is there anything I can do to speed up offgassing from finished wood? I have a couple of small boxes that I put together today, which need to go into my luggage Monday evening. I've put one coat of urethane finish on, and will do another tomorrow morning, but my experience is that they'll still be pretty smelly by the time I have to pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It depends on the finish. If it's something oxygen hardening like linseed oil putting it in front of a fan to add "more" oxygen to it should speed it up. other ones cure faster w heat, UV light, etc. Or you could just use shellac when you need to stuff it in a suitcase. the world is your bug excrement

urethane would probably cure faster w increased airflow