Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sokani posted:

Dramaturgy is back, now I can finally expose myself and lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Excellent, time to return to my favorite build of activating dramaturgy as often as possible and handing out items to everyone who wants them, especially the killer

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Excellent, time to return to my favorite build of activating dramaturgy as often as possible and handing out items to everyone who wants them, especially the killer

Get a group of 4 with Dramaturgy and Calm Spirit and fill the basement with gifts around the tree once Bone Chill starts.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

Get a group of 4 with Dramaturgy and Calm Spirit and fill the basement with gifts around the tree once Bone Chill starts.

Ooooh if I can round up enough nerds I will absolutely do this.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Stack 4 Vigils as well, for optimum gift generation.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trickster feels so much better now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Looks like my prediction of "no more gen regression when there's one left" is coming in hot.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Medullah posted:

Looks like my prediction of "no more gen regression when there's one left" is coming in hot.

Isn't it the Survivor fault if there is a 3-gen?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Surely you are not implying the survivors should exercise a minimum level of restraint instead of just doing all the gens on one corner of the map and then complaining that the rest of the gens are on the other corner of the map. We can't put that kind of pressure on them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

quote:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is 3-Gen Real Hahahaha Bb Survivor Just Do The Other Gens Haha

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Survivors can't make mistakes, if a survivor loses its because the killer needs to be nerfed or the game is broken

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

L.U.I.G.I posted:

To some extent, but if a killer decides they want to set up a 3 gen there is very little the survivors can do about it, especially if it's a high mobility killer or Knight.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I genuinely do not understand how 3-Gen is something that needs a solution. Part of the entire strategy aspect of the game for survivors is making sure you don’t 3-Gen yourself. Like sure certain Killers like Smerchant can force a 3-Gen, but imo that’s a completely niche situation that also forces the Killer to play in a particular way to even make it happen. In that particular case it’s a feast or famine strategy for the Killer that still doesn’t ensure a win.

Why the gently caress does that need a “fix” that’ll likely be detrimental to every Killer?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I genuinely do not understand how 3-Gen is something that needs a solution. Part of the entire strategy aspect of the game for survivors is making sure you don’t 3-Gen yourself. Like sure certain Killers like Smerchant can force a 3-Gen, but imo that’s a completely niche situation that also forces the Killer to play in a particular way to even make it happen. In that particular case it’s a feast or famine strategy for the Killer that still doesn’t ensure a win.

Why the gently caress does that need a “fix” that’ll likely be detrimental to every Killer?

I can tell you as a killer main there have been times where I'm clearly losing halfway through the match so I just choose a 3 gen and defend it. It's not as uncommon or as difficult as you think.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because survivors bitch about it so it's getting changed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Medullah posted:

I can tell you as a killer main there have been times where I'm clearly losing halfway through the match so I just choose a 3 gen and defend it. It's not as uncommon or as difficult as you think.

Sure but in those situations it’s also on the Survivors for not spreading out their progress and leaving that 3-gen open for you to exploit.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I just wish they'd do something with the 'killer comes out, is fun and awesome, gets nerfed to the point you never see them in matches a few months later' pipeline

E: I asked about a music jukebox, I hope they at least see the suggestion

E2: They saw it, no plans :smith:

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 13, 2023

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Behavior watching Otz declare Chucky the best non-Nurse non-Blight killer and smashing the nerf button so hard he exploded

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I really can't stand how much power Otz has. He's so top notch he's not representative of the vast majority of players but his word becomes God.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think Otz has as much power as people think he does given how much he's begged them to fix or nerf or buff things and it never happens.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure but in those situations it’s also on the Survivors for not spreading out their progress and leaving that 3-gen open for you to exploit.

Nope! If I am feeling extra lovely, when a match starts if I have an obvious three gen, I just camp it. There is literally nothing survivors can do.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Dedicating my life to becoming a big time streamer specifically to get BHVR to give Myers an update/rework.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I really can't stand how much power Otz has. He's so top notch he's not representative of the vast majority of players but his word becomes God.

I'd argue Otz knows more about this loving game than the developers and it's not like they loving listen to him or any of the other fog whisperers anyways. He's right that Chucky is easily one of the best killers they've ever released but Otz was never asking for a nerf to him lmao, he's said that Wesker and Chucky should be where killers should be balanced around with them as the top end.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

If each of the Survivors, individually, scours the entire map to find all of the generators, and then (without communication) agree 100% on the order they should be done, there's nothing the killer can do to stop them.

/s

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think Otz has as much power as people think he does given how much he's begged them to fix or nerf or buff things and it never happens.

Yeah I should have been more specific, power in the community. His complaints become thousands of complaints.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah if you watch Otz for any length of time you can see he is exasperated right now about them not taking ANY of his suggestions.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I'd argue Otz knows more about this loving game than the developers and it's not like they loving listen to him or any of the other fog whisperers anyways. He's right that Chucky is easily one of the best killers they've ever released but Otz was never asking for a nerf to him lmao, he's said that Wesker and Chucky should be where killers should be balanced around with them as the top end.

Yeah, it's a tough one though...I'm not saying you're wrong, but the problem with software is there's always poo poo you don't know, and the company has better metrics than we do. It's where the "nerf pig" meme comes from, everyone is screaming for her to get buffed but DBD metrics show she has a higher than expected kill rate.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I genuinely do not understand how 3-Gen is something that needs a solution.

I don't either. I understand that getting three genned is not fun. I understand it's something survivors want to avoid. I understand that some killers are very good at protecting three gens. That's probably not terribly fun for survivors either!

However! Usually getting three-genned IS the survviors' own fault, or more accurately the result of decisions they made earlier, ie. doing gens at the edges of the map that are harder for the killer to patrol effectively. I can 100% guarantee that Behaviour won't be doing jack poo poo to balance the game around the elimination of getting three-genned, which will mean that playing killer once again becomes more stressful and more of a chore. Not a great move in a game where you have to have a killer in every game. And even when we're talking about killers that are very good at protecting three-gens, those killers are usually dog poo poo at other aspects of the game. Again, I loving guaran-drat-tee that BHVR will not be buffing those killers while they implement this no doubt amazingly well considered fix, so sucks to be you if you enjoy one of those killers.

This just feels like a bad idea. Survivors having to intelligently plan out which gens to do is a good addition and source of friction in the game. "Fixing" it will make them happy in the short term but will be a real bad move for the game's health long-term.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

BHVR on any more changes to the UI to help aid solo survivors from today's AMA

"We always monitor the difference between survivor groups and our current stance is that lack of information is not the crux of the problem, but rather that friends work together by nature and solo survivors do not."

lmao these loving clowns.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

PlasticAutomaton posted:

"We always monitor the difference between survivor groups and our current stance is that lack of information is not the crux of the problem, but rather that friends work together by nature and solo survivors do not."

:cripes: that's

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BrewingTea posted:

If each of the Survivors, individually, scours the entire map to find all of the generators, and then (without communication) agree 100% on the order they should be done, there's nothing the killer can do to stop them.

/s

This might have been true pre-SWF but when half the playerbase is on comms it isn't really true.

Or really, if you're playing solo then just walking past the next closest gen to do the one behind it is a good move. Yes you can't stop people from trying to do every Gen in a single corner if the killer isn't standing there but it can help.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I mean the response is badly worded but at the same time there isn't a lot more the UI could do to bring parity with SWF outside of just putting in a COD Warzone style ping system or just cutting the knot and making voice/text chat in matches native to the game. No amount of UI can compensate for people triangulating the killer at every second.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 13, 2023

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

This might have been true pre-SWF but when half the playerbase is on comms it isn't really true.

They've said that the majority of Survivors play solo.

But even if that's not true, my original point was that without comms, it isn't even remotely Survivors' faults if a 3-gen happens.

I wasn't commenting on whether fixing 3-gens is a good idea...

CuddleCryptid posted:

there isn't a lot more the UI could do to bring parity with SWF outside of just putting in a COD Warzone style ping system or just cutting the knot and making voice/text chat in matches native to the game. No amount of UI can compensate for people triangulating the killer at every second.

Having more than just 2 emotes
Icons (similar to the gen progress ones) that show who is hearing the TR at any given point (maybe a little heart?)
Icons that show who is actively looking at the killer (regardless of TR)
Some way to share generator locations
Shared perk info (when someone has Distortion, everyone should know the killer just saw your aura)
Progress indicator on exit gates
Basekit Kindred
Showing perks/offerings in the pre-match lobby

A ping system could fix a number of these, and you're right, it will never be as efficient as Discord, but it seems like there's A LOT MORE they could do to bridge the information gap without a single reason not to.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 13, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't either. I understand that getting three genned is not fun. I understand it's something survivors want to avoid. I understand that some killers are very good at protecting three gens. That's probably not terribly fun for survivors either!

However! Usually getting three-genned IS the survviors' own fault, or more accurately the result of decisions they made earlier, ie. doing gens at the edges of the map that are harder for the killer to patrol effectively. I can 100% guarantee that Behaviour won't be doing jack poo poo to balance the game around the elimination of getting three-genned, which will mean that playing killer once again becomes more stressful and more of a chore. Not a great move in a game where you have to have a killer in every game. And even when we're talking about killers that are very good at protecting three-gens, those killers are usually dog poo poo at other aspects of the game. Again, I loving guaran-drat-tee that BHVR will not be buffing those killers while they implement this no doubt amazingly well considered fix, so sucks to be you if you enjoy one of those killers.

This just feels like a bad idea. Survivors having to intelligently plan out which gens to do is a good addition and source of friction in the game. "Fixing" it will make them happy in the short term but will be a real bad move for the game's health long-term.

Except you're wrong. You can, as a killer, just choose three gens to sit on from the start of the game. With the right perks and what not, this is a not only terribly unfun, but actually fair effective as a killer. It kinda defeats the point of the game, instead of finding and killing survivors, you just find and identify a strong three gen from the start.

A coordinated team could maybe over come it, but solo queue? Absolutely not. Its a miserable experience and an exceptionally lovely way to play (and I do it sometimes)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kwolok posted:

Except you're wrong. You can, as a killer, just choose three gens to sit on from the start of the game. With the right perks and what not, this is a not only terribly unfun, but actually fair effective as a killer. It kinda defeats the point of the game, instead of finding and killing survivors, you just find and identify a strong three gen from the start.

A coordinated team could maybe over come it, but solo queue? Absolutely not. Its a miserable experience and an exceptionally lovely way to play (and I do it sometimes)

It's a valid strategy because ultimately, it's frustrating as hell as a killer to have two chases and four gens pop, or 1 and 3.

Playing defensively, 3 genning, should be a valid strategy to slow the game down. If you're going to nerf 3 genning, you're dramatically nerfing killer power, and accordingly, should dramatically increase the time needed to do gens.

That won't happen because gens are the most boring part of the loving game.

e: people talking about nerfs to chucky? not seeing anything on the AMA or the patch notes?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

tithin posted:

That won't happen because gens are the most boring part of the loving game.

No, the most boring part of the game is having a killer refuse to leave 10% of the map and just go back and forth kicking the same 3 gens for an hour while never engaging with looping or chasing.

Edit: That being said, I haven't seen this much since the Skull Merchant changes. I've only seen a killer blatantly do it from start of game twice in the last month, and both of those were in RPD when two gens spawned in the lobby and a third was in that upstairs office right off the top of the lobby. Killer can literally see all three gens without moving, and once it was a knight so they could even kick without moving. Sucked so bad.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 13, 2023

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which is the fault of the lovely maps, not the killer. If I recognize a survivor keeps running to the Garden of Joy infinite house and have like, any other option besides chasing them, I will take the other option

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

rydiafan posted:

No, the most boring part of the game is having a killer refuse to leave 10% of the map and just go back and forth kicking the same 3 gens for an hour while never engaging with looping or chasing.

Edit: That being said, I haven't seen this much since the Skull Merchant changes. I've only seen a killer blatantly do it from start of game twice in the last month, and both of those were in RPD when two gens spawned in the lobby and a third was in that upstairs office right off the top of the lobby. Killer can literally see all three gens without moving, and once it was a knight so they could even kick without moving. Sucked so bad.

I disagree, but only by degrees.

Deliberate 3 genning from the start due to killer kit encouraging it (Knight, SM)? boring. forces survivor foresight, forces survivors to focus on breaking a 3 gen from the start and giving up pressure elsewhere.

3 genning midgame due to survivor pressure? smart, strategic, encourages efficient chases, encourages smart survivor play.

3 gens aren't impossible to break, just means you need to change your strategy and scout when you realize you're against a knight or a SM - but that's more a killer kit problem, rather than a "3 gens are inherently problematic" problem.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I think it's important to note that killer forcing 3 gens are, in my opinion, pretty rare due to the fact that you disregard every other aspect of the game, which you have to go out of your way to do and isn't assured to bring you victory. I mean, if you only have 2 survivors left, it's going to be hard for the killer to find the survivors if they just alternate between the generators.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well, not a lot of information from the AMA as to be expected. One thing that is a constant argument is using Crosshairs with Trickster/Slinger/Huntress/etc, with a lot of people calling foul and calling it a cheat. Officially sanctioned now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

Well, not a lot of information from the AMA as to be expected. One thing that is a constant argument is using Crosshairs with Trickster/Slinger/Huntress/etc, with a lot of people calling foul and calling it a cheat. Officially sanctioned now.

That seems incredibly dumb to me. Either support it or don't, but don't go "We won't do this but you can get around it trivially."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That seems incredibly dumb to me. Either support it or don't, but don't go "We won't do this but you can get around it trivially."

It's not exactly a secret that crosshair overlays exist, and I kinda like that the game doesn't have one by default. Appeals to me more that way.