Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Bugblatter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDyQxtg0V2w

Huh, he really is going back to pulpier action rather than another cerebral sci-fi. Well, Dredd ruled so I'll give it a shot.

Change the title to America Has Fallen and put Gerard Butler in there and you could have fooled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Carpet posted:

I expect it to be some lib politics bullshit, but I'm here for that cast and director. I like that Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons keep finding projects to work on together :gerty:

Holy poo poo a Gerty emoji? I had no idea we had that!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

not trolled not crying posted:

Change the title to America Has Fallen and put Gerard Butler in there and you could have fooled me.

Imo, Democracy Has Fallen rings a bit better

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Really thought that was Tim Robbins as the President, but I guess my mental image of him is about 20 years out of date

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

lets all just rejoice that this isn't an aaron sorkin joint where the resolution would be a rousing Ron Swanson speech that cuts through both sides' blindfolds and immediately solves the issue. The Power of Monologue™ will prevail!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maybe Garland just doesn’t understand or feel like understanding American politics. Gotta cash in on an upcoming election.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

grobbo posted:

"We have Children of Men at home!"

Children of Men at home:
Men also featured children of men if you think about it..

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Martman posted:

God, Men was a loving abysmal film.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Just seems like if you wanted to depict a plausible situation of mass civil strife in the US you'd make something that looks a lot more like Northern Ireland than this kinda Turner Diaries fantasy of states being able to actually secede in the 21st century.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Martman posted:

Lol

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o-reTATkBU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

what's so civil about war anyway?

....makes u think

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Just Chamber posted:

Shrug, just accept it's an alternate reality USA and not a direct commentary on the current state of America and enjoy a probably quite good movie?

No I have to judge everything by how well it maps onto my personal politics

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, why’s everyone trying to bring politics into this movie about violent political conflict?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Texas and California could absolutely team up. There have been stranger bedfellows in history. It would just take the right issue.

I mean, I can see them both using massive violence to turn away climate refugees pretty easily. I'm sure the Feds could pull some move that would piss 'em both off. At the end of the day, self-interest triumphs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This trailer is not nuanced enough for me to accept the politics that would lead to a Civil War I expect 2:30 of a detailed explanation before I determine I'm not going to see it in theaters. It's like they're showcasing the action and trying to get people to watch it and save the political science for some other time?

cmon guys

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Maybe the film has other, more fundamental political things on its mind than trying to figure out the exact specifics of a potential civil war in the real world

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think its going to be bad, but not because texas and california teams up. i can imagine that, my brain works very good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Maybe the film has other, more fundamental political things on its mind than trying to figure out the exact specifics of a potential civil war in the real world

I wonder if there's also some other really big spoilery twist we aren't seeing. I mean it's Alex Garland. This trailer just seems too straight forward and feels like a mild red herring.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Asking about politics doesn’t seem crazy for a movie about a civil war, an event based on political differences. It not an alien attack movie where we just want to see cool ships explode. The whole intent of a modern civil war movie is prey on our political beliefs. So asking questions seems kind of like the expected result.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

Huh, he really is going back to pulpier action rather than another cerebral sci-fi. Well, Dredd ruled so I'll give it a shot.

loving awesome

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

checkplease posted:

Asking about politics doesn’t seem crazy for a movie about a civil war, an event based on political differences. It not an alien attack movie where we just want to see cool ships explode. The whole intent of a modern civil war movie is prey on our political beliefs. So asking questions seems kind of like the expected result.

you think alien invasion films aren't political? one of the most famous being named "Independence Day"? very interesting

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well, you don't ask "political questions" about alien invasion movies, because they show up, want Earth's poo poo, and are willing to kill for it. They can be political and jingoistic movies but the political motives of the aggressor are pretty easy to suss out.

Whereas a movie about an American Civil War encourages the question "how did it get to this point? What factors contributed to this?" Nobody is asking that about the Zargons from Planet Alpha or w/e.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, you don't ask "political questions" about alien invasion movies, because they show up, want Earth's poo poo, and are willing to kill for it. They can be political and jingoistic movies but the political motives of the aggressor are pretty easy to suss out.

Whereas a movie about an American Civil War encourages the question "how did it get to this point? What factors contributed to this?" Nobody is asking that about the Zargons from Planet Alpha or w/e.

Right, agree with this. Yes we can talk about the political ideology of most films, but politics is front and center for civil wars. That’s its main thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

looks lovely, but still better than the Brian Wood comic it's ripping off

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bugblatter posted:

I hated Men and this looks like garbage too. It's a shame because Dredd, Ex Machina and Annihilation kick rear end, and I don't remember much of Devs but I do remember enjoying it. Garland is a land of contrasts, I guess.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

not trolled not crying posted:

Not even those movies would have the line "the western forces will reach the white house on july 4th" as jets fly overhead doing stunts in formation.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk2OJZHutBM

Very excited for what appears to be a cheesy, dated academic-affair stinker where shots of Jenna Ortega in centre frame walking slowly towards the camera take up 30 minutes of running time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bugblatter posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Texas California alliance? Might as well add aliens and time travel that’d be more realistic.

Yeah, honestly this was my take away as well. The film and premise seem neat, but the whole "California and Texas are on the same side" is such a minor thing but completely breaks any suspension of disbelief.

How unfortunate. :negative:

I think the main reason the Texas/California alliance is so baffling is because America is so Us vs Them politically and Texas and California have generally always been on opposite sides so one side would have "our guy" in power. I literally cannot fathom a governmental situation that would make Texas and California team up. Especially since this film doesn't seem like it's set in the distant future or past or anything like that. It's a very "near modern" setting. It just breaks any immersion I could possible have from the beginning.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 13, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

grobbo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk2OJZHutBM

Very excited for what appears to be a cheesy, dated academic-affair stinker where shots of Jenna Ortega in centre frame walking slowly towards the camera take up 30 minutes of running time.

drat Martin Freeman's accent is great. So easy for anyone let alone a non-American to overdo the southern accent but his is on point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/netflix/status/1734928753468260569?s=20

Incoming tomorrow.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't even care about the Texas/California thing, so it's an alternate universe, whatever. California has a long tradition of Republican governors. Who knows what happened, it doesn't really matter per se.
What matters is that it doesn't really look that appealing and as someone mentioned earlier the politics and "message" are likely to be cringe at best.
I'll still watch it tho, of course, I mean, I watched Men. :shrug: I didn't actually think that was terrible, the choice to have that one guy play all the men was pretty fun and it certainly gets memorably crazy. Not a good movie per se but eh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugblatter posted:

Zero politics at all in this movie lol

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
A lot of people forget that California was like THE Republican stronghold in the US until 1992. California is the state that Reagan and Nixon came out of. Hell, even in 2020, there were 6 million Trump voters in CA and "only" 5.8 million in Texas.

In any case, I don't know that Garland's Civil War movie will even bother trying to explain the specifics of why the United States fractured and how such alliances formed. The trailer made the movie's message out to be about war journalists and how we should heed them.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah the CA central valley is pretty Texas-aligned. It's probably not difficult to come up with an alternative history where it drives state politics rather than the coast

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

acksplode posted:

Yeah the CA central valley is pretty Texas-aligned. It's probably not difficult to come up with an alternative history where it drives state politics rather than the coast

I mean, the last "close" presidential election in California was in 2004 - aka two decades ago. It has only been more split since there.

2000 - 5.9m (Dem) vs. 4.6m (GOP)
2004 - 6.7m (Dem) vs. 5.5m (GOP)
2008 - 8.2m (Dem) vs. 5m (GOP)
2012 - 7.8m (Dem) vs. 4.8m (GOP)
2016 - 8.7m (Dem) vs. 4.4m (GOP)
2020 - 11.1m (Dem) vs. 6m (GOP)

The last time a Republican presidential candidate took California was in 1988 - 35 years ago and that was just by a sliver - 5.1m v. 4.7m

Sure, the CA central valley is red as hell, but there is no reality in which in the present or very near future that they overtake California politics.

Honestly, it would be more likely that Texas goes blue and aligns with California over California turning red and aligning with Texas.

For comparative numbers, this was the last two decades in Texas:

2000 - 3.8m (GOP) vs. 2.4m (Dem)
2004 - 4.5m (GOP) vs. 2.8m (Dem)
2008 - 4.5m (GOP) vs. 3.5m (Dem)
2012 - 4.6m (GOP) vs. 3.3m (Dem)
2016 - 4.7m (GOP) vs. 3.9m (Dem)
2020 - 5.9m (GOP) vs. 5.3m (Dem)

The gap is widening in California while it narrows in Texas.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
We just need more purge movies instead.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like the idea of a war movie set in america thats as politically informed and plausible as the war movies we set in every other country

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AngryBooch posted:

The trailer made the movie's message out to be about war journalists and how we should heed them.

So far the message seems to be "how could we let This happen." Kind of a companion piece with Don't Look Up. You have Dunst talking about how her work abroad should have been a warning, the store clerk at the beginning saying she prefers to tune out and live her life, and the little newscaster tidbit of President Swanson being on his Constitution-breaking 3rd term which could have been the result of war rather than one of the causea but I get the sense it's the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah it all seems really on-the-nose which is concerning... but Plemons and Durst are instant watches soooo.