Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

XboxPants posted:

If we don't demand anything better from the right, as if we have accepted that this is just who they are and they'll never change, then what's even the point of class struggle?

To Inglourious Basterds them and then build a better world. It's not called class debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

The MLB steroid hearings were absolutely theater. It was just entertaining theater.

They resulted in major changes to policy for the Olympic teams, new policies for professional sports, and Roger Clemons being indicted for criminal charges. Those all qualify as some of kind of major impact as a result of the hearing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Theater and historically significant events are not mutually exclusive

just ask abraham lincoln

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fed meeting just ended with major news.

They are signaling significant changes in plans for monetary policy and predicting three rate cuts in 2024 with the belief that inflation is largely on track to be beaten without a recession or mass unemployment. Previously, they had not indicated plans for any rate cuts in 2024.

They predict that inflation won't fall to 2% until early 2026, but that inflation will be below 3% for most of 2024 and all of 2025. They expect PCE inflation to average 2.4% next year.

Unemployment is predicted to rise slightly, but peak at 4.1%.

GDP growth was 5x higher than the initial estimates from 2022.

The stock market is currently surging and nearing an all-time high.

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1735011832983679331

quote:

How much have forecasts shifted this year? A year ago, Fed officials expected gross domestic product, adjusted for inflation, to grow just 0.5 percent this year. Now as the year wraps up, they think G.D.P. grew 2.6 percent — faster than in 2022.

quote:

The Fed left interest rates unchanged, as expected, at their December meeting. This was the final decision of 2023, and the third straight meeting at which the central bank has left borrowing costs steady.

quote:

Fed officials projected that they will cut interest rates three times in 2024. The estimate was part of the central bank’s Summary of Economic Projections, which it releases once per quarter.

quote:

Mere weeks ago, the dominant discussion in economic circles was whether the Fed was done raising rates. Now they’re penciling in three cuts next year. It’s a remarkable shift.

quote:

Fed policymakers also released fresh forecasts for inflation and unemployment. They see inflation reaching their 2 percent goal in 2026, and they expect unemployment to rise to 4.1 percent next year and then hover there.

quote:

The call for lower rates was widespread: Not a single Fed official expected interest rates to be higher at the end of next year, and one outlier even expected them to fall below 4 percent. That comes from the “dot plot,” an array of anonymized individual interest rate projections the Fed releases once per quarter. The forecasts are shown as blue dots arrayed on a white background, hence the name.

quote:

The S&P 500 rose sharply on the release of the Fed’s economic projections and forecast for rate cuts. The index rose to a gain of 0.5 percent for the day, closing in on its all-time high.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/12/13/business/fed-meeting-interest-rates

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 13, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Randalor posted:

Cool, let's ask Mr Jordan what the penalty for contempt of congress is for defying a subpoena. How does he expect anyone to take this seriously?

No one is. Hunter is getting hosed on tax stuff as he probably should and that takes alot of the wind out of their sails, espcially when none of it ties to Joe himself. Gone are the Kenny starr days of 5 ring circus. its just morons trying to make some kinda grand gently caress you impeachment but they can't find anything interesting or personally damning.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 13, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

karthun posted:

Then don't respond in good faith, answer the question that you want to be asked instead. You don't need to waffle on what the definition of genocide is.

Yeah this is 100% what they should have done. Don't even answer their questions at all, just start talking about the things you want to talk about. It's very sad that a bunch of dipshits like us are better equipped to deal with this sort of thing than university presidents.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think one thing that helps perceptions is the fact that now that the lunatics have gotten control of the asylum, they really do just sound like the dumbest loving people, because they are. Just complete loving smooth brains all around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

Cool, let's ask Mr Jordan what the penalty for contempt of congress is for defying a subpoena. How does he expect anyone to take this seriously?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

No one is. Hunter is getting hosed on tax stuff as he probably should and that takes alot of the wind out of their sails, espcially when none of it ties to Joe himself. Gone are the Kenny starr days of 5 ring circus. its just morons trying to make some kinda grand gently caress you impeachment but they can't find anything interesting or personally damning.

Contempt of congress can carry up to a year in jail. That was what Steve Bannon was sentenced to 4 months in prison for.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Contempt of congress can carry up to a year in jail. That was what Steve Bannon was sentenced to 4 months in prison for.

I can't wait for more awful poo poo to leak out about gym jordan. gently caress that hypocritical little traitor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lmao at that trend line going almost completely vertical after the Fed announcement.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah, I'm unclear what hunter thinks he has as a defense here. Other than at least he showed up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lmao at that trend line going almost completely vertical after the Fed announcement.

What does that trend line represent?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

What does that trend line represent?

Stock market index prices. The Russell index rose 1.6% in under 30 seconds and almost went vertical from people trying to buy before the price went up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

What's the basis for a year?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

What's the basis for a year?

That's just the statutory cap they set in the law.

Minimum sentence per charge is one month and max is 12 months.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'm unclear what hunter thinks he has as a defense here. Other than at least he showed up.

I think his hope is to force them to actually do something because they have loving nothing on him(in the way they want) outside his stolen and leaked nudes and he didnt want to go into a closed room with a bunch of fucks who would just lie about what happened, he made the offer to do it public, they panicked and doubled down. now here we are.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think his hope is to force them to actually do something because they have loving nothing on him(in the way they want) outside his stolen and leaked nudes and he didnt want to go into a closed room with a bunch of fucks who would just lie about what happened, he made the offer to do it public, they panicked and doubled down. now here we are.

Right sure but "your honor, those motherfuckers are dishonest dipshits and I don't want to talk them" isn't a legal defense. Congress being deserving of contempt is not a defense to contempt of congress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Right sure but "your honor, those motherfuckers are dishonest dipshits and I don't want to talk them" isn't a legal defense. Congress being deserving of contempt is not a defense to contempt of congress.

true, I guess we will see. i wouldnt be shocked if its partly because he is just loving done with all this poo poo. Hunter is failson and probably an rear end but i can't really blame him for just telling them to go gently caress themselves. dudes already hosed anyway.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

There is a play here which is that the media actually starts asking Republican's hard question and create pressure to make a public hearing instead of stenography of the Republican talking points.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Biden should just pardon his son at the end of his term. Trump lowered the bar so low

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Absolutely

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Byzantine posted:

To Inglourious Basterds them and then build a better world. It's not called class debate.

Right. That's what I'm talking about when I say we need to hold the right accountable to the same standards we use for ourselves. But we're not Inglourious Basterd'ing Stefanik. She only gets brought up as a footnote. Only the people on the left are taking heat. The right wants to shift the focus off of themselves and make the left get caught up in infighting, and it works.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

There is a play here which is that the media actually starts asking Republican's hard question and create pressure to make a public hearing instead of stenography of the Republican talking points.

And then the moon starts to fall and the seas turn red.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

That's just the statutory cap they set in the law.

Minimum sentence per charge is one month and max is 12 months.

ohh, right, statutory; I always default to thinking of inherent.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Reporters have some small new details about the potential border/supplemental spending bill deal.

The hardline immigration concessions the White House has said they are willing to offer are:

- Raising the standard for someone claiming asylum due to a claim they will be persecuted if they return from "significant possibility" to "more likely than not."

- Implementing a pseudo-Title 42 provision that will allow the expulsion of people crossing the border without having to detain them or give them a chance to apply for asylum if there is no basis for the claim. This would only trigger if a surge of border crossings to a certain number (which was not specified) happened in a single day and would only last until daily crossings fall below that number.

- Increased authority to detain people already in the country who may be a flight risk that are currently fighting their deportation in court (the Biden admin has promised not to use this authority, but it would be ready and available for Trump or any future president).

House Republicans are signaling that even those concessions may not be enough to pass the House, even if Senate Republicans accept them.

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1734983990673633519

The spending in the supplemental bill includes roughly $100 billion for:

quote:

- Humanitarian and military aid for Ukraine.
- Humanitarian aid for both Gaza and Israel and military aid for Israel.
- Money for more immigration judges to process asylum requests faster.
- Disaster relief aid and flood insurance reimbursements for Hawaii, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York.
- Approval of sales of U.S. planes to Taiwan.
- Funding for additional inspection technology on the Mexico and Canadian borders to more quickly process vehicles passing through.
- More money for FEMA to fill disaster relief coffers so they aren't required to pass new funding for relief and allow FEMA to act more quickly to disburse money.
- Money to implement a permanent pay reform for national park firefighters that stops them from having their salary cut by 40% if congress doesn't vote to approve every year.
- Money for schools, highways, and rural areas to repair and modify their buildings to be more resistant to natural disasters.
- Additional funding for LIHEAP to provide free and subsidized heating oil this winter.
- Extending the 2021 stimulus bill's provision that subsidized up to $8,000 in child care costs that is set to expire at the end of the year.
- Money to extend a program to provide free internet to low income Americans.
- Reforms and money to encourage the development of enriched uranium and nuclear power to replace sources that previously came from Russia and encourage green energy.
- Money for grants to expand rehab and opioid treatment centers.
- Permanently expand the budget of the "Food for Peace" program that provides international food aid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jesus III posted:

Biden should just pardon his son at the end of his term. Trump lowered the bar so low

I wouldn't fault him for it but no, he should not. It would ratify their behavior.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jesus III posted:

If the House does actually go forward with charging him with contempt of congress and he gets convicted, then he probably would be in and out of jail before the end of Biden's term. There could be a pretty reasonable argument for a pardon there, but it probably won't happen because it would be resolved before the end of his first term and long before the potential end of a second term.

The original gun and tax charges are almost certainly not going to stick, but the newer tax charges (if true) shouldn't get a pardon. It's kind of sad that he was an addict who was hiding his income from the IRS because he spent it all on drugs and wanted to use his tax money to pay for drugs, but tax evasion and filing a false tax return aren't things you should pardon in general, and definitely not your son, imho.

Trump set the bar incredibly low, but that doesn't mean everyone else should get cover from crimes for being related to the President.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 13, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Fed meeting just ended with major news.

They are signaling significant changes in plans for monetary policy and predicting three rate cuts in 2024 with the belief that inflation is largely on track to be beaten without a recession or mass unemployment. Previously, they had not indicated plans for any rate cuts in 2024.

They predict that inflation won't fall to 2% until early 2026, but that inflation will be below 3% for most of 2024 and all of 2025. They expect PCE inflation to average 2.4% next year.

Unemployment is predicted to rise slightly, but peak at 4.1%.

GDP growth was 5x higher than the initial estimates from 2022.

The stock market is currently surging and nearing an all-time high.

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1735011832983679331

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/12/13/business/fed-meeting-interest-rates

:toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6XNpmxqst4

i know it's too early to actually declare full victory over the inflation crisis, and definitely too early for policy analysis, but it's seems highly significant that the dems finally managed to pass meaningful infrastructure spending packages, and then the next year the country managed to do some kind of ninja backflip that completely avoided the recession analysts felt was 100% going to happen due to rate hikes, while the rest of the globe has struggled. i placed a friendly wager that sp500 would be at 4,500 at the end of the year in a bit of contrarian pique, it's wild to me that apparently i was not bullish enough

the ira and chips act as a combo package feel like they have been a huge win for america so far, it would be a tragedy if it was both the first and last gasp of a more left of center democratic party

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Reporters have some small new details about the potential border/supplemental spending bill deal.

The hardline immigration concessions the White House has said they are willing to offer are:

- Raising the standard for someone claiming asylum due to a claim they will be persecuted if they return from "significant possibility" to "more likely than not."

- Implementing a pseudo-Title 42 provision that will allow the expulsion of people crossing the border without having to detain them or give them a chance to apply for asylum if there is no basis for the claim. This would only trigger if a surge of border crossings to a certain number (which was not specified) happened in a single day and would only last until daily crossings fall below that number.

- Increased authority to detain people already in the country who may be a flight risk that are currently fighting their deportation in court (the Biden admin has promised not to use this authority, but it would be ready and available for Trump or any future president).

House Republicans are signaling that even those concessions may not be enough to pass the House, even if Senate Republicans accept them.

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1734983990673633519

The spending in the supplemental bill includes roughly $100 billion for:

whats funny is this will pass the senate as a deal and then die in the house when the chuds have a temper tantrum that its not Tarantula turrents on the border or whatever.

If the House does actually go forward with charging him with contempt of congress and he gets convicted, then he probably would be in and out of jail before the end of Biden's term. There could be a pretty reasonable argument for a pardon there, but it probably won't happen.

The original gun and tax charges are almost certainly not going to stick, but the newer tax charges (if true) shouldn't get a pardon. It's kind of sad that he was an addict who was hiding his income from the IRS because he spent it all on drugs and wanted to use his tax money to pay for drugs, but tax evasion and filing a false tax return aren't things you should pardon in general, and definitely not your son, imho.

Trump set the bar incredibly low, but that doesn't mean you everyone else should get cover from crimes for being related to the President.

I dont think Biden pardons hunter. he doesnt seem like the type to do that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If Hunter is railroaded by an unfair process into serious and lasting undeserved consequences, well, that's exactly what the pardon power was intended for. Even if he is the son of the pardoner

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

haveblue posted:

If Hunter is railroaded by an unfair process into serious and lasting undeserved consequences, well, that's exactly what the pardon power was intended for. Even if he is the son of the pardoner

i think he would maybe pardon/exconerate him over the contempt stuff maybe BUT not the tax stuff.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus III posted:

If we're talking about establishing precedent it would be best if Hunter Biden got the book thrown at him and it stuck (as long as it was for stuff he actually did, even if that stuff wouldn't have been exposed without a witch hunt).

Republican crimes will always be forgiven by Republicans. What would be best to avoid would be people in the middle (who do exist) going "Hmm, yes, Democrats seems to agree that laws don't matter, so it's fine and not outrageous when Republicans are corrupt."

It feels bad when all that centrist 'outrage' ends up being just impotent hand wringing, but it'd be even worse if there wasn't even that and everyone just shrugged their shoulders at all this bullshit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

The original charges almost certainly aren't going stick and I could see an argument for a pardon for a contempt of congress charge, but his newer tax charges, if true and he is found guilty, shouldn't get a pardon.

Most people who commit tax evasion don't have a special counsel from the DOJ investigating all of your finances and statements for 4 years to determine if you did it or not, so there is a good chance he would have never gotten caught if they hadn't done the original baseless investigation. But, "I wouldn't have gotten caught for the potentially real crimes if you never started the bullshit investigation for the not real crimes" is not really a morally or legally compelling reason for clemency.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are the Republicans trying to force a situation where Biden pardons Hunter and then uses it against Biden to try to impeach and convict him over it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Star Man posted:

Are the Republicans trying to force a situation where Biden pardons Hunter and then uses it against Biden to try to impeach and convict him over it?

Extremely unlikely they thought that far ahead. If Hunter does get jail time for contempt of congress, it would likely be a few months. Biden would never pardon him of a crime right before the election when the sentence is 2 or 3 months.

It's so they can claim that since Hunter Biden was charged and/or convicted of a crime, then Joe Biden must have been involved and any claim about Trump or his kids being corrupt is just mudslinging to deflect.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I was thinking his end of term being 5 years from now
Hunter would be well and truly convicted and probably out of jail.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Star Man posted:

No, this is to keep Hunter's name in the news for this news cycle. Hunter won't be behind bars before election day in any scenario. If Biden loses no one is going to care if he pardons his son and if he wins Republicans won't have the juice to make much hay out of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone in the press gallery is asking the same questions as the thread.

Press secretary says Hunter Biden won't get a pardon under any circumstances, even for contempt of congress.

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1735030031800213556

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Specifically for the contempt of Congress bit, is there any reasonable defense that would protect Hunter since Jim Jordan wasn't prosecuted? Selective prosecution, or something along those lines? IANAL, just wondering if that's relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

Specifically for the contempt of Congress bit, is there any reasonable defense that would protect Hunter since Jim Jordan wasn't prosecuted? Selective prosecution, or something along those lines? IANAL, just wondering if that's relevant.

Jim Jordan was never charged with contempt of congress. He was referred to the ethics committee and then Republicans dropped the issue when they took the House.

Congress has to actually pursue the contempt of congress charges to enforce them. They pursued them against Steve Bannon and a few others, but never actually pursued charges against Jordan.