Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm slowly regaining the ability to smell and taste. It has as least reminded me never to take that for granted. I smelled the sulfur from a boiled egg yesterday and was so happy just because I could perceive it. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

I'm slowly regaining the ability to smell and taste. It has as least reminded me never to take that for granted. I smelled the sulfur from a boiled egg yesterday and was so happy just because I could perceive it. :unsmith:

losing my senses to this is so terrifying, I hope it keeps improving for you. Are you doing any of that smell training stuff?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Soap Scum posted:

friend of mine in NYC who is very scared of covid but follows zero news on it has typically been a good bellwether re: covid getting super bad

she messaged me yesterday and said "wow everyone in my office has covid. is it bad now?" lol

for ref she's masks well and hasn't gotten covid yet so she's doing good but just kinda funny how she interfaces with it

(e: and before anyone says she's gotten covid and hasn't told me, she's the type who tells me every time she has a sniffle and gets all bent out of shape about it, i tell her to test, she does, it's negative, she feels better 12 hours later. so i legit think she's covid free)
i dipped into a holiday party at an employer last night. they've been on the "covid ain't real" boat for a while

maybe 1/4 of people were masked? I was really surprised. my anecdotal experience is that people only do that when "it" has been around

hospitalizations have been on a steady rise for a month. it's the only number i look at anymore

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I skipped my department's party last night. I'm impressed some people at yours were masking, like that's really nice! I would've assumed the pressure to be 'normal' and eat would've outweighed that.

My department's party was a potluck so I imagined there was a lot of "oh you have to try so-and-so's dish" and it's like yeah, I don't have the emotional bandwidth to constantly say no thanks while being cheerful and chit-chat about nothing that feels important. It was even after hours this year so it's not like I would've been on the clock/being paid to be there, so bonus excuse not to go.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i dipped into a holiday party at an employer last night. they've been on the "covid ain't real" boat for a while

maybe 1/4 of people were masked? I was really surprised. my anecdotal experience is that people only do that when "it" has been around

hospitalizations have been on a steady rise for a month. it's the only number i look at anymore

My cynicism says that 1/2 of the people at your company are sick, and half of those bothered to mask up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

maybe. i don't even think about it. i just mask and move on.

i was just there for a minute to say hi to some friends.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Disney's Urgent Care

ok cool, just checking that the world is still an actual nightmare on fire

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Indoor Dying posted:

Disney's Urgent Care

That's the way I like it cause I never get bored

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I'm seeing an increasing number of morning/evening commuters on Metra in n94s or better. Maybe it's just me, but I feel fewer looks now, like it's becoming accepted that a small percent of people are going to be masked in public forever.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's the way I like it cause I never get bored

hey now

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

some new maskers are definitely just sick lol but some new maskers just do it "when things get bad." i know someone who's kinda moderate re: masking most of the time but started masking indoors absolutely everywhere minus her house starting the day after thanksgiving because, as she more or less put it, it's covid season. yes yes it's covid season all the time but i think there is some truth that it's super extra covid season right now, and i think that explains some of the uptick we'll see probably from now til like february in lots of places.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Soap Scum posted:

some new maskers are definitely just sick lol but some new maskers just do it "when things get bad." i know someone who's kinda moderate re: masking most of the time but started masking indoors absolutely everywhere minus her house starting the day after thanksgiving because, as she more or less put it, it's covid season. yes yes it's covid season all the time but i think there is some truth that it's super extra covid season right now, and i think that explains some of the uptick we'll see probably from now til like february in lots of places.

better than never wearing a mask :smithicide:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

I'm Crap posted:

Doing great, thank you! :geert:

(wastewater data, mid-2020 to present)

Why didn't the Netherlands get the giant spike around Dec/Jan 2021 with Omicron I the way everybody (US only?) else did.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Why didn't the Netherlands get the giant spike around Dec/Jan 2021 with Omicron I the way everybody (US only?) else did.

Herd immunity.

But in all seriousness... they did and did it so well they chose to make it a recurring event :coronatoot:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I am unsure, but this feels like some kind of lockdown ending?

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizers-2024-revenue-forecast-below-wall-street-estimate-2023-12-13/ posted:

Pfizer shares sink after it resets 2024 COVID expectations

Pfizer (PFE.N) on Wednesday forecast 2024 sales that could be as much as $5 billion below Wall Street expectations, a move top executives said provided a more reliable view of its COVID-19 business than it had this year, driving shares down to a 10-year low.

Revenue from Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine and treatment, which peaked at $57 billion in 2022, are now expected to be $8 billion in 2024, a further drop from the $13 billion analysts' forecast and Pfizer's own lowered view of $12.5 billion for this year.
(..)
Pfizer used some of its COVID windfall to acquire companies, including a $43 billion deal for cancer drugmaker Seagen it expects to close this week, and launched a new RSV vaccine. But the recent RSV launch has been disappointing, trailing a rival's shot, and shares have fallen 44% so far this year.

In addition, COVID vaccination in the U.S. have dropped sharply with just about 17% of the eligible population getting the most recent updated boosters due in part to declining concern about the virus, as well as vaccine fatigue.
(..)
The COVID-19 vaccine and antiviral treatment Paxlovid helped Pfizer bring in over $100 billion in revenue in 2022. Pfizer had originally forecast sales of $21.5 million [ed. billion] in COVID sales for 2023, but later cut that forecast by more than 40%.

The COVID-19 sales targets "likely represent a floor for 2024 sales," said J.P. Morgan analyst Chris Schott.

The precipitous drop in COVID product sales had also forced Pfizer to launch a program to cut jobs and expenses, which is now expected to save at least $4 billion a year by the end of 2024.
(..)

"likely represent a floor for 2024 sales" :ok:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

I'm Crap posted:

Doing great, thank you! :geert:

(wastewater data, mid-2020 to present)

As a big admirer of number going up, this seems very good.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Population level study in Sweden, concerning the increased risk of arrhythmias post infection. It is important to remember that the 30 day cutoff is essentially arbitrary, so note the right hand side of the Graphical Abstract.
"Risk of arrhythmias following COVID-19: nationwide self-controlled case series and matched cohort study"

https://academic.oup.com/ehjopen/article/3/6/oead120/7439882?login=false posted:

Abstract
Aims
COVID-19 increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, especially thrombotic complications. There is less knowledge on the risk of arrhythmias after COVID-19. In this study, we aimed to quantify the risk of arrhythmias following COVID-19.

Methods and results
This study was based on national register data on all individuals in Sweden who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 between 1 February 2020 and 25 May 2021. The outcome was incident cardiac arrhythmias, defined as international classification of diseases (10th revision) codes in the registers as follows: atrial arrhythmias; paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias; bradyarrhythmias; and ventricular arrhythmias. A self-controlled case series study and a matched cohort study, using conditional Poisson regression, were performed to determine the incidence rate ratio and risk ratio, respectively, for an arrhythmia event following COVID-19.A total of 1 057 174 exposed (COVID-19) individuals were included in the study as well as 4 074 844 matched unexposed individuals. The incidence rate ratio of atrial tachycardias, paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias, and bradyarrhythmias was significantly increased up to 60, 180, and 14 days after COVID-19, respectively. In the matched cohort study, the risk ratio during Days 1–30 following COVID-19/index date was 12.28 (10.79–13.96), 5.26 (3.74–7.42), and 3.36 (2.42–4.68), respectively, for the three outcomes. The risks were generally higher in older individuals, in unvaccinated individuals, and in individuals with more severe COVID-19. The risk of ventricular arrhythmias was not increased.

Conclusion
There is an increased risk of cardiac arrhythmias following COVID-19, and particularly increased in elderly vulnerable individuals, as well as in individuals with severe COVID-19.

Graphical Abstract

As an aside, while hospitalizations increase the likelihood substantially, 2/3 in the cohort was not hospitalized. Similarly but not to the same extent, 1/3 were <60 years old. The time frame (and that this is Swedish data) means that relatively few were vaccinated, but it also means that they might have been vaccinated with the AZ shot; particularly the elderly as I recall.

Edit: The numbers I mention are from the supplementary data.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Dec 13, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Speaking of AstraZeneca’s vaccine, I don’t know if we ever noted it in the thread, but they finally declined to seek U.S. approval in November of 2022.

Took ’em long enough.

Platystemon posted:

Biden should use back channels to strongly suggest that AstraZeneca withdraw application for emergency use.

Platystemon posted:

There’s just no way to win here.

The FDA is under intense pressure, explicit or otherwise, not to deny authorization and summon the wrath of QCS feed antivaccine sentiment abroad, but the U.S. doesn’t need the doses. Within the U.S., approval can only taint the three vaccines already in use by association, and especially taint future vaccines like Novavax. People will ask, not entirely baselessly, if it was a strictly medical judgement or if political concerns put a thumb on the scale.

AstraZeneca’s voluntary withdrawal would create ripples of its own, but it’s the least bad option at this point.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Inhaled SARS-CoV-2 vaccine for single-dose dry powder aerosol immunization"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06809-8 posted:

Abstract
The COVID-19 pandemic has fostered major advances in vaccination technologies; however, there are urgent needs for vaccines that induce mucosal immune responses and for single-dose, non-invasive administration. Here we develop an inhalable, single-dose, dry powder aerosol SARS-CoV-2 vaccine that induces potent systemic and mucosal immune responses. The vaccine encapsulates assembled nanoparticles comprising proteinaceous cholera toxin B subunits displaying the SARS-CoV-2 RBD antigen within microcapsules of optimal aerodynamic size, and this unique nano–micro coupled structure supports efficient alveoli delivery, sustained antigen release and antigen-presenting cell uptake, which are favourable features for the induction of immune responses. Moreover, this vaccine induces strong production of IgG and IgA, as well as a local T cell response, collectively conferring effective protection against SARS-CoV-2 in mice, hamsters and nonhuman primates. Finally, we also demonstrate a mosaic iteration of the vaccine that co-displays ancestral and Omicron antigens, extending the breadth of antibody response against co-circulating strains and transmission of the Omicron variant. These findings support the use of this inhaled vaccine as a promising multivalent platform for fighting COVID-19 and other respiratory infectious diseases.

Guess we will see (probably won't tbh).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol that it’s a bivalent

Also, they used the s‐word*. Someone never got the memo. :nsa:

*“strain”

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yeah, please do. I bought one on Black Friday that is still in the box, so if I need to return it it’s nbd.

I got the same canned response as that reddit post did, so that's legit at least.

I followed up with:

quote:

As the following sentence from your email is in the past tense, can you verify that Levoit is currently making Levoit Core 400S 3-Stage Replacement Filters to HEPA standards? And if "yes" then please verify what HEPA standard(s) are being used to currently manufacture the filters in question.

"The Levoit filters were tested as manufactured to meet HEPA standard, IEST RP CC001.6 Class H, tested per IEST RP CC007.3."

Their response was to repeat the canned response and then add:

quote:

At the moment, I don't have any further information about these changes. If your product is still within the return window, I will provide you with instructions for returning it and you will receive a full refund.
So they either won't confirm or the customer service reps don't have the info/ability to confirm/deny.

Mostly for curiosities sake I'm now going to see if they'll take my 2 units as returns since they are within the 2 years Levoit warranty and then I'll buy some other brand of actual HEPA filter units.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend:	Total:
Dec 03            -        -        -    + 2,347     ↓2.9%      2,347
Nov 26            -        -    2,284      + 134    ↑19.8%      2,418
Nov 19            -    1,870      113       + 36     ↑2.9%      2,019
Nov 12        1,827      114       13        + 9     ↓1.9%      1,963
Nov 05          116        6       16        + 3     ↓2.4%      2,001
Rest of '23      54        2       11        + 3              127,636
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Dec 03            -        -        -      + 825     ↓7.6%        825
Nov 26            -        -      820       + 73    ↑18.1%        893
Nov 19            -      715       41          -    ↑12.5%        756
Nov 12          656       16        -          -     ↓6.9%        672
Nov 05          115        -        1          -     ↓3.9%        722
Rest of '23     -10       15        -          -               42,066

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Dec 03            -        -        -      + 309    ↑20.2%        309
Nov 26            -        -      244       + 13    ↑15.8%        257
Nov 19            -      223        1        - 2    ↓13.6%        222
Nov 12          240       17        -          -     ↑2.4%        257
Nov 05          -21       10        -          -     ↑1.6%        251
Rest of '23      -1       73        -          -               12,256
Total occupied inpatient beds (excludes ICU beds) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Dec 03            -        -        -    + 1,624    ↑14.3%      1,624
Nov 26            -        -    1,414        + 7     ↑6.3%      1,421
Nov 19            -    1,337        -          -     ↓7.7%      1,337
Nov 12        1,449        -        -          -     ↓5.5%      1,449
Nov 05            7        -        -          -     ↓2.2%      1,533
Rest of '23       -        -        -          -               81,536
Total occupied ICU beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ICU in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Dec 03            -        -        -      + 147    ↑10.5%        147
Nov 26            -        -      133          -    ↓20.8%        133
Nov 19            -      168        -          -    ↓11.1%        168
Nov 12          189        -        -          -    ↑35.0%        189
Nov 05           -7        -        -          -     ↓4.8%        140
Rest of '23       -        -        -          -                9,338
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Dec 03            -        -        -          -        -           -
Nov 26            -        -        -       + 31    ↑63.2%         31
Nov 19            -        -       17        + 2    ↓34.5%         19
Nov 12            -       21        6        + 2    ↑31.8%         29
Nov 05           20        -        2          -    ↓31.3%         22
Rest of '23       6        -        1        + 2                1,337
Notes on Data and Limitations:
  • In this post I provide alternative visualizations for the overall weekly disease activity and reporting on weekly confirmed case positives, emergency department (ED) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients/occupied hospital beds, and confirmed deaths. Additionally I provide changes in COVID-19 activity due to backfill.
  • Trends are calculated based on the % change in the totals for the most recent week of data compared to the second most recent. This differs from the state's trend % as they are doing a % change of a % of ED visits and hospitalizations, respectively.
  • Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previously published weekly reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report.
  • These graphs were put together by using a multitude of resources spanning from the Washington State Department of Health all the way to the CDC and HHS. All of these state and federal reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday 7-day definition.
  • Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.
  • All numbers except for cases and deaths are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Totals are extrapolated by applying the state's weekly hospitalizations or ED visit % to the HHS' reporting of hospitalizations and ED visits due to all causes. Beds occupied by COVID-19 is the weekly average multiplied by 7 days, and beds occupied by influenza is from HHS reports.
  • A COVID-19, Influenza, or RSV death is only counted by the state if data is complete (cause of death is attributed to the disease and there is an associated laboratory positive test with no period of complete recovery between illness and death). The only exception is that RSV does not need a test, only that it is indicated as cause on the death certificate.
---
Sources:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Indoor Dying posted:

Disney's Urgent Care

Years ago we got trundled off to universal's urgent care, it's kinda crazy how big and well hidden it is. Don't think that was even the only one they have, because they got us there pretty quickly. poo poo apparently goes south all the goddamn time in a theme park.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

The Canadian government has released some new Long Covid statistics: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/75-006-x/2023001/article/00015-eng.htm

It's great, filled with fun little quotes like this one:

The percentage of adults experiencing long-term symptoms increased with the number of COVID-19 infections reported

The potential impact of re-infections on the risk of developing or exacerbating pre-existing long-term symptoms is important considering the endemic nature of COVID-19. However, studies providing evidence of increased risk are limited in number and generalizability. As seen in Chart 2, Canadians reporting two known or suspected COVID-19 infections (25.4%) were 1.7 times more likely to report prolonged symptoms than those reporting only one known or suspected infection (14.6%), and those with 3 or more infections (37.9%) 2.6 times more likely.

[...]

Almost half of Canadians who reported that they continue to experience long-term symptoms also reported no improvement over time

Many Canadians with long-term symptoms experience a protracted symptom duration. As of June 2023, 58.2% of infected Canadians who ever reported long-term symptoms continue to experience them. Among Canadian adults who continued to experience long-term symptoms, 79.3% had been experiencing symptoms for 6 months or more, including 42.2% with symptoms for one year or more (Figure 1).

hmm sounds bad, maybe we shouldn't be letting ourselves get infected over and over.

hell yeah love 2023 baby can't wait to see 2024 and 2025 and

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

where are the deaths?

this sucks

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
lol at flu ramping up in er visits in Washington. One of my son's friends has covid rn; kiddo asked for a test (all clear so far) and one of his other friends asked my son to bring an extra mask for him, which honestly rules. :unsmith: it's the little things

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

even tho the pandemic is over … covid 19 isn’t

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
That's the thing about most pathogens.

They don't care that you don't care.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Veteran's Affairs study concerning the utilization of the post-COVID classification code, almost entirely during Omicron.

The discrepancy between different Veterans Integrated Service Networks (VISN below) and different facilities, indicates that the main result is either a massive under count and/or testing just didn't happen some places. The average is 5.28% at 12 months, but check out the Texas VISN clocking in at 24.9%.
"Rates of ICD-10 Code U09.9 Documentation and Clinical Characteristics of VA Patients With Post–COVID-19 Condition"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2812721 posted:

Key Points
Question What are the rates, risk factors, clinical settings, and symptoms associated with documentation of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision, code U09.9 for post–COVID-19 condition?

Findings In this cohort study of 388 980 US veterans with positive test results for SARS-CoV-2 during the Omicron era (October 1, 2021, to January 31, 2023), 5% had U09.9 documentation by 12 months after infection. Patterns varied by geographic location and clinical setting; risk factors included older age, female sex, Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, hospitalization within 30 days of the first positive SARS-CoV-2 test result, receipt of mechanical ventilation, lack of vaccination, and a higher number of symptoms at presentation.

Meaning Accurate and consistent documentation of U09.9 is needed to maximize its utility in tracking patients for clinical care and research.

Abstract
Importance A significant proportion of SARS-CoV-2 infected individuals experience post–COVID-19 condition months after initial infection.

Objective To determine the rates, clinical setting, risk factors, and symptoms associated with the documentation of International Statistical Classification of Diseases Tenth Revision (ICD-10), code U09.9 for post–COVID-19 condition after acute infection.

Design, Setting, and Participants This retrospective cohort study was performed within the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care system. Veterans with a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result between October 1, 2021, the date ICD-10 code U09.9 was introduced, and January 31, 2023 (n = 388 980), and a randomly selected subsample of patients with the U09.9 code (n = 350) whose symptom prevalence was assessed by systematic medical record review, were included in the analysis.

Exposure Positive SARS-CoV-2 test result.

Main Outcomes and Measures Rates, clinical setting, risk factors, and symptoms associated with ICD-10 code U09.9 in the medical record.

Results Among the 388 980 persons with a positive SARS-CoV-2 test, the mean (SD) age was 61.4 (16.1) years; 87.3% were men. In terms of race and ethnicity, 0.8% were American Indian or Alaska Native, 1.4% were Asian, 20.7% were Black, 9.3% were Hispanic or Latino, 1.0% were Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander; and 67.8% were White. Cumulative incidence of U09.9 documentation was 4.79% (95% CI, 4.73%-4.87%) at 6 months and 5.28% (95% CI, 5.21%-5.36%) at 12 months after infection. Factors independently associated with U09.9 documentation included older age, female sex, Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, comorbidity burden, and severe acute infection manifesting by symptoms, hospitalization, or ventilation. Primary vaccination (adjusted hazard ratio [AHR], 0.80 [95% CI, 0.78-0.83]) and booster vaccination (AHR, 0.66 [95% CI, 0.64-0.69]) were associated with a lower likelihood of U09.9 documentation. Marked differences by geographic region and facility in U09.9 code documentation may reflect local screening and care practices. Among the 350 patients undergoing systematic medical record review, the most common symptoms documented in the medical records among patients with the U09.9 code were shortness of breath (130 [37.1%]), fatigue or exhaustion (78 [22.3%]), cough (63 [18.0%]), reduced cognitive function or brain fog (22 [6.3%]), and change in smell and/or taste (20 [5.7%]).

Conclusions and Relevance In this cohort study of 388 980 veterans, documentation of ICD-10 code U09.9 had marked regional and facility-level variability. Strong risk factors for U09.9 documentation were identified, while vaccination appeared to be protective. Accurate and consistent documentation of U09.9 is needed to maximize its utility in tracking patients for clinical care and research. Future studies should examine the long-term trajectory of individuals with U09.9 documentation.
(..)
Variation in U09.9 Documentation by VISN and Facility
There was great variability across VISNs in U09.9 documentation. In VISN 8 (the Sunshine Healthcare Network in Florida), there was a 12-month incidence of U09.9 documentation of 3.39% (95% CI, 3.20%-3.58%), compared with 24.90% (95% CI, 24.26%-25.53%) in VISN 17 (Heart of Texas). Compared with VISN 8, many VISNs had significantly higher likelihood of U09.9 documentation, including VISN 20 (Pacific Northwest; AHR, 2.22 [95% CI, 2.03-2.42]) and VISN 17 (AHR, 7.60 [95% CI, 7.14-8.10]). There was even greater variability by facility (medical center) ranging from less than 3% to 58.86%. (Figure). Greater U09.9 code documentation was observed in VA facilities and VISNs that had established dedicated PCC clinics and escalated even further by PCC telephone-administered screening efforts that took place at some VA facilities (captured as telephone case management visits in Table 3), for example, the 2 outlier facilities in the Figure with U09.9 documentation rates of 46.14% (San Antonio, Texas) and 58.86% (Harlingen, Texas) (both in VISN 17). Associations of race and ethnicity with U09.9 documentation are shown for the region with a dedicated screening program (VISN 17) and the rest of the VA in eTable 3 in Supplement 1.
(..)
Figure. Caterpillar Plot of Documentation of Code U09.9 for Post–COVID-19 Condition (PCC) by Veterans Affairs Facility

Data are expressed as proportion of patients with positive test results for SARS-CoV-2 and documented International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, Tenth Revision, code U09.9. Veterans Affairs facilities are stratified by those in Veterans Integrated Service Networks that have established dedicated clinics for the follow-up of patients with PCC and those that do not.
(..)

That it is likelier to be documented when there are established PCC clinics, points to an under count being present, though the extent is very unclear.

News article on the matter:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20231212/US-veterans-study-reveals-key-insights-into-Long-COVID-and-protective-role-of-vaccination.aspx posted:

U.S. veterans' study reveals key insights into Long COVID and protective role of vaccination
(..)

(..)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Wastewater :denmark:

That first peak is the initial Omicron, the dotted line is when SSI (the Danish CDC) took over the monitoring.

Source data: https://www.ssi.dk/sygdomme-beredskab-og-forskning/sygdomsovervaagning/c/covid-19---spildevandsovervaagning

Get the gently caress out of here and come back when you have real number

Guess one in ten people who got invited to the company party called in sick, so based on that we might actually have the first Omicron peak beat.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY caught up on COVID thread

:sad:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

gently caress COREY PERRY caught up on COVID thread

:sad:

nine billion names of god, but with covid thread posts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
friend who got Covid for the first time this summer recovered with paxlovid. then 3 months ago got an incessant cough that’s still here.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

Get the gently caress out of here and come back when you have real number
(..)

But... the initial Omicron wave isn't on your graph :smith:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pingui posted:

But... the initial Omicron wave isn't on your graph :smith:

why would you have ancient history on a graph?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RandomBlue posted:

why would you have ancient history on a graph?

You're right, it should have been a pie chart.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

nine billion names of god, but with covid thread posts

:pray:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

covid so over that qcs posters no longer dogpile

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

oh no i said dog someone break out the bricks

:regd09:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now they have Israel and Palestine to talk about.