Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, how do you farm plasteel? Just... play normally, watching out for crates and lootables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
quickplay damnation, ideally. just sweep the area when you can, and diff 5 in particular because you roughly get double or even triple the usual plasteel amount from diff 4 for not that much jump in practical difficulty

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Plasteel is absolutely a bottleneck until you run Damnation on the regular, expect between 600-800 on a run before the quick play bonus ( sometimes you aren't in the mood for a high intensity shock troop run ).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I will also note that you should at least semi-farm diamantine, like maybe don't run far out of your way to grab it, but if it's reasonable to do so pick it up. One day there will be a use for it.

On a related note, the mod Found Ya is great for seeing loot at longer distances which helps with the farming of plasteel and what not.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat i didnt realize headhunter autos have a surprising amount of stagger. tempted to switch out headhunter for no respite thanks to this

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

New mission just dropped, the Orthus Offensive Zola special assignment. I was leveling up my psyker and I wasn't sure if it would still be available if I switched to my level 30 zealot or vet, so I just went for it.

Good lord, that was a rough fight.

Lot of fun, tho.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 13, 2023

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

toasterwarrior posted:

drat i didnt realize headhunter autos have a surprising amount of stagger. tempted to switch out headhunter for no respite thanks to this
I tried this with the headhunter IX (which has the highest stagger) and it was mediocre at best. I think this is because headhunters do the majority of their damage with their high weakspot multiplier and staggering enemies makes them jerk around a lot which means you get less weakspot hits. Though on the other hand the IX is mediocre in general so maybe the others are better at it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Exodee posted:

I tried this with the headhunter IX (which has the highest stagger) and it was mediocre at best. I think this is because headhunters do the majority of their damage with their high weakspot multiplier and staggering enemies makes them jerk around a lot which means you get less weakspot hits. Though on the other hand the IX is mediocre in general so maybe the others are better at it?

funny you mentioned that because i just built an mk9 to replace my mk3, and i feel like the faster two-tap is better for pacing. what's so mediocre about it; if anything it seems to do more damage per shot?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It may just be bad luck or my imagination, but I have had a lot more 'surprise, multiple trappers spawned directly behind you' incidents than I remember ever having before. I think units that can immobilize like that should have clear callouts at least a few seconds before they spawn, and should not spawn 2 or 3 on top of each other (feels bad dodging one net just to be immediately hit by net 2 or 3).

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

toasterwarrior posted:

funny you mentioned that because i just built an mk9 to replace my mk3, and i feel like the faster two-tap is better for pacing. what's so mediocre about it; if anything it seems to do more damage per shot?
To be fair I mostly have experience with the Mk7 which is really good because it can one-shot almost all specials and elites in one critical weakspot hit, though it's overshadowed by the revolver at the moment which does the same thing better.
I have seen Veterans do insane damage to bosses with the Mk3 (as in, killing them within 10 seconds insane), but they've since nerfed that a little bit I believe.
Meanwhile with the Mk9 I feel like because of its high stagger there's a good chance your second shot will fly off target because of them jerking around on hit, and it doesn't do great body damage to compensate (it's like less than half compared to the weakspot hit)
That's why I tried it with No Respite but it still feels mediocre time-to-kill wise. I feel like it's really close to being good though, like if Fatshark were to increase its base damage while lowering its weakspot multiplier it could become an amazing all-rounder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCJc5cVK810

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Turn on closed captioning for a great description of the music and sound.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
There's a new track in the game, at least I noticed on one of the new levels, that has big Nine Inch Nails vibes and I'm here for it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay so for the record, you need to take out BOTH of the twins shields first in order to damage either of them. So you can't just focus one the entire time you need to get them both downed THEN focus one.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

New map is pretty good. Nice mash-up/variation of existing maps. Kind of a progression of Chaos occupation I guess. Overall pretty solid.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
New map is a big waste of time outside of the boss fight itself imo, but I understand that they need to introduce the boss mechanics to people that weren't around for the twins showing up on every map.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The leadup to the boss fight arena was a bit sparsely populated after getting used to high intensity numbers.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Very cool boss fight. Just beat it on Damnation with my gunner Ogryn. Got the protip that despite shields being ranged weapon resistant, high rate of fire weapons like the Achlys stubber chews them up. Also chainweapons will eat their shields well too with the special attack.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have not verified this info but this is apparently how you turn on the secret hard mode for the twin boss fight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2995700310

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I can't get a single damnation group for this that doesn't have some woefully underequipped rando who dies 5 times and is literally the difference between success and failure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I find I get more consistent teammates in Auric Damnation, but my last few sessions it seems like some of the bads are making their way there. If I'm not on my game and just want to chill, I'll sometimes play normal Damnation, and it is, or maybe used to be, much more of a crapshoot. Easier to carry bad players through it, though. There's a limit, obviously.

[edit: I guess that I'm trying to say is try Auric Damnation.]

vvv my bad! vvv

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 13, 2023

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I find I get more consistent teammates in Auric Damnation, but my last few sessions it seems like some of the bads are making their way there. If I'm not on my game and just want to chill, I'll sometimes play normal Damnation, and it is, or maybe used to be, much more of a crapshoot. Easier to carry bad players through it, though. There's a limit, obviously.

[edit: I guess that I'm trying to say is try Auric Damnation.]

I meant for the Special Assignment.

*but!*

Just cleared it with two randos and a bot, lol.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Special Assignment rips. The level is gorgeous, it's really cool to see the aftermath of Magistrati Oubliette after we've wrecked it before, and the raid mechanics on the boss fight are really cool. Still wish I could do a solo strike team just so I can do the bell puzzle without having to wrangle friends or inconvenience pickup teams.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/uYWU7hO.mp4

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Has anyone tried the new Eviscerator with Brutal Momentum? Must have Blessing, skip, or just so-so?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Internet Explorer posted:

Has anyone tried the new Eviscerator with Brutal Momentum? Must have Blessing, skip, or just so-so?

It doesn't get Brutal Momentum?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well then, I guess I can safely skip it then! :sweatdrop:

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Rampage + Savage Sweep/Wrath would probably be overkill for hordes since it feels like it's already got plenty of cleave with light attack spam. I'd probably do Rampage + Shred so you can get back your ability in seconds during a horde.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

combat knife fuckin rules in this game lol. "what if we gave the single target weapon some cleave too" supreme balancing. thank you fatshark.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Tried those twins in damnation hard mode and apparently if you die during the boss fight you get put behind bars lmao

Knife zealot with chorus is quite clutch in that fight indeed though! Also the chainaxe is amazing at ripping apart their shields with just light attack spam. And finally you really need some people to clear out those mines because if the whole field is littered with them you basically end up ping-ponging all over the place while suffering a ton of corruption.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

there's a lot of problems to deal with in in the Hard Mode fight, and a lot of the is sheer amount of elites and specials that spawn. Thankfully the only thing that doesn't spawn in are gunners and reapers, otherwise I think that fight might be too hard lol. It was nice to have confirmation that there was some cracked out versions of the twins that could spawn in when they were random boss fights though, they had the same halo as the ones in the hard mode fight.

It is a genuinely difficult fight that requires both the right team comp and near-perfect execution.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

"IMA GIVE YOU SUCH A'KICKING OHHHH GET OVER HERE YOU WASCALLY WABBIT"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

They are utter scrubs for the knife. I only took damage because I helped a teammate out of the gas.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, easy damnation to farm if you want dockets or weapons. 20 minutes-ish mission. Boring though

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

It is a genuinely difficult fight that requires both the right team comp and near-perfect execution.

Yeah, I went in completely blind and unprepared on heresy with a pubbie team of 2 psykers, 1 ogryn, and 1 vet, and it was a hell of a fight. I finished with 2 health as a very squishy mid-20s psyker. Bubble shield always pays to have. Def should have gone in packing a chain sword.

Which made it kind of nice to finally get some respect from mission control, especially after winning that fight.

Zola respects you enough to send your team for a mission that can't fail, and Rannick considers you enough of an asset that he tries to have you rescued when the mission is cancelled, and then admits he's impressed when you have to go through with it and win anyway.

I'm glad we're finally advancing the plot somewhat, between the earlier carnival maps and now this.

Also, the whiplash between Rannick's paraphrased "Grendyl won't forgive this, you're done for!" when dismissing Zola, and the immediate turn to "Well, some excess zeal is to be expected, so all is forgiven (but we'll keep an eye on her)"

I think Grendyl's dead and there's some weird Weekend at Bernie's charade going on, but who knows.

Still hoping for good payoff on the second hive city.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Exodee posted:

Tried those twins in damnation hard mode and apparently if you die during the boss fight you get put behind bars lmao

Knife zealot with chorus is quite clutch in that fight indeed though! Also the chainaxe is amazing at ripping apart their shields with just light attack spam. And finally you really need some people to clear out those mines because if the whole field is littered with them you basically end up ping-ponging all over the place while suffering a ton of corruption.
What do you mean about clearing out the mines? Like how does one do that optimally?

Evil Kit posted:

there's a lot of problems to deal with in in the Hard Mode fight, and a lot of the is sheer amount of elites and specials that spawn. Thankfully the only thing that doesn't spawn in are gunners and reapers, otherwise I think that fight might be too hard lol. It was nice to have confirmation that there was some cracked out versions of the twins that could spawn in when they were random boss fights though, they had the same halo as the ones in the hard mode fight.

I'm wondering now if this is what really kicked me+randoms asses the other night now.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, I went in completely blind and unprepared on heresy with a pubbie team of 2 psykers, 1 ogryn, and 1 vet, and it was a hell of a fight. I finished with 2 health as a very squishy mid-20s psyker. Bubble shield always pays to have. Def should have gone in packing a chain sword.

Which made it kind of nice to finally get some respect from mission control, especially after winning that fight.

Zola respects you enough to send your team for a mission that can't fail, and Rannick considers you enough of an asset that he tries to have you rescued when the mission is cancelled, and then admits he's impressed when you have to go through with it and win anyway.

I'm glad we're finally advancing the plot somewhat, between the earlier carnival maps and now this.

Also, the whiplash between Rannick's paraphrased "Grendyl won't forgive this, you're done for!" when dismissing Zola, and the immediate turn to "Well, some excess zeal is to be expected, so all is forgiven (but we'll keep an eye on her)"

I think Grendyl's dead and there's some weird Weekend at Bernie's charade going on, but who knows.

Still hoping for good payoff on the second hive city.

Huh? Oh no the regular version of the fight requires some coordination but is not nearly on the level of "actually hard" imo. There's a secret hard mode on Damnation you can activate by slapping some bells around the level and it's gonna clap your cheeks and is def for coordinated pre-made groups only.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

tangy yet delightful posted:

What do you mean about clearing out the mines? Like how does one do that optimally?
You just briefly step in the red circle and then immediately back out. It takes a second or so for them to trigger and they have a pretty obvious sound effect when you activate them.

edit: Alternatively if you're fast enough you can even just sprint across and activate a whole bunch of them that way. Probably best done by a Zealot with some speed boosts though.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 14, 2023

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

Huh? Oh no the regular version of the fight requires some coordination but is not nearly on the level of "actually hard" imo. There's a secret hard mode on Damnation you can activate by slapping some bells around the level and it's gonna clap your cheeks and is def for coordinated pre-made groups only.

lol it was a hell of a fight because none of us knew about the ventilation fans until we'd burned through most of our health in the first gas attack phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Wait there's ventilation fans? poo poo