Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm doing well. Going to see how bad the Grymforge feller is soon

I did Grym last night and thought it was pretty easy. The new Legendary ability is only relevant if you're attacking it directly so I just used the hammer x3 and killed the mephits that appear and it was straightforward.

Honestly the biggest risk on Honour mode is misclicking and having someone run into the lava. Party members love to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So am i right in thinking this games a T-posing stuttery mess for everyone else as well? (A good entertaining mess)

Can i hope it’ll be polished as the updates happen?

Nope, I've never seen a single t-pose, nor had any stuttering. Only issue has been some quest tag wonkyness and some graphics glitches but otherwise it's been a totally smooth experience.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I will say on the note of being a loot goblin, it would be really nice if you could check a box to filter out stuff you sold to the vendors. With my proclivities it was kind of a nightmare at endgame to look through their inventories to find like, alchemy ingredients and stuff.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Nope, I've never seen a single t-pose, nor had any stuttering. Only issue has been some quest tag wonkyness and some graphics glitches but otherwise it's been a totally smooth experience.

Same. I have never seen a t pose and all the stuttering I saw went away when I boosted my monitors refresh rate.

There are some slowly loading textures and a few characters with a patch of skin extending into the infinite as of patch 5 tho.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
The only T-posing I've seen has randomly been by the statue I purchased, and every time it rolls that stance I crack up. 5k gold for permanent Bless on one character + my MC doing their impression of Cristo Redentor every few camp rests has made it one of my best purchases

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've always had pretty blah performance with BG3 but my pc is like 5 years old now so that might be more my pc than BG3. It does make Act 3 a bit annoying when I load up for the first time because it takes like two-three minutes for my game to load all the textures. And I never get especially great fps in this either no matter what settings I roll with. It's playable though.

I have also had a weird issue since I started playing again where a lot of the time when I load my save for the first time I crash to desk top and it asks me to verify files. The second time I load the game up and try to play it usually loads the save fine. I verified once and that didn't fix it. Maybe I need to again I guess.

And I have had that thing that I've seen some people mention where if I leave an area where I killed some monsters and then go back into it when they load onto my screen they do their death animations again

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pellisworth posted:

I did Grym last night and thought it was pretty easy. The new Legendary ability is only relevant if you're attacking it directly so I just used the hammer x3 and killed the mephits that appear and it was straightforward.

Honestly the biggest risk on Honour mode is misclicking and having someone run into the lava. Party members love to do that.

My rule of thumb with permadeath games is its ok to crash the program if you make an interface error that leads to a character doing something a sane person wouldn't

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
OTOH misclicks in BG3 can lead to some funny outcomes, not unlike poor decisions in actual tabletop games

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wish Durge mode was harder, it's actually kind of offputting how chill your party is about your little episodes. When you take the option of turning yourself in for Alfira's death I was expecting it to have some consequences but everyone's just like "eh, maybe it was the tadpole's fault? guess we better be careful." And it is just plain goofy how the huge bloodstain just persists through longrests and is there even if you hide the body before dawn, and no one comments on it. I was hoping that if you hide the body there'd be some tense dialogue where everyone is like "hey, where did Alfira go?" and you have to avoid raising suspicion. I think that kind of story mode could be a lot more interesting if it didn't clash so much with the indulgent game design that basically allows you to keep people around no matter what you do if you really want to. At least from what I've seen so far, I'm still in act 1.

Also looking back on the thread I now find it hilarious that there were multi-page debates about "would Astarion be problematic / innappropriate / boundry-crossing as a PC at a tabletop game?" when Durge is right there lmao.

Speaking of problematic, I finally realised who Gortash reminds me of with his messy haircut and his whole unshaven, open-collar look:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Entropic posted:

I wish Durge mode was harder, it's actually kind of offputting how chill your party is about your little episodes. When you take the option of turning yourself in for Alfira's death I was expecting it to have some consequences but everyone's just like "eh, maybe it was the tadpole's fault? guess we better be careful." And it is just plain goofy how the huge bloodstain just persists through longrests and is there even if you hide the body before dawn, and no one comments on it. I was hoping that if you hide the body there'd be some tense dialogue where everyone is like "hey, where did Alfira go?" and you have to avoid raising suspicion. I think that kind of story mode could be a lot more interesting if it didn't clash so much with the indulgent game design that basically allows you to keep people around no matter what you do if you really want to. At least from what I've seen so far, I'm still in act 1.

Also looking back on the thread I now find it hilarious that there were multi-page debates about "would Astarion be problematic / innappropriate / boundry-crossing as a PC at a tabletop game?" when Durge is right there lmao.

Speaking of problematic, I finally realised who Gortash reminds me of with his messy haircut and his whole unshaven, open-collar look:

I actually really liked that stuff in Durge, because it felt a lot like the extremely online subculture of misappropriating psych terms, like "intrusive thoughts"

"Hey Gale, I'm not sure what's going on but I have a constant list for blood, I literally fantasized about tearing your hand off when you were stuck in that portal"

Gale: "ah buddy don't worry, everyone gets intrusive thoughts. One time this guy bought a book I wanted to buy and I thought, 'boy I could kill that guy!' " *chuckles*

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Entropic posted:

A number of your companions are pretty morally suspect to begin with, with the notable exceptions of Karlach (and later Jaheira). A little murder every now and then probably won't bother them too much.

All the good Durge story beats are in Act III, anyways.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Professor Beetus posted:

I actually really liked that stuff in Durge, because it felt a lot like the extremely online subculture of misappropriating psych terms, like "intrusive thoughts"

"Hey Gale, I'm not sure what's going on but I have a constant list for blood, I literally fantasized about tearing your hand off when you were stuck in that portal"

Gale: "ah buddy don't worry, everyone gets intrusive thoughts. One time this guy bought a book I wanted to buy and I thought, 'boy I could kill that guy!' " *chuckles*

Yeah, it works when it's just you confiding to party members about your dark urges, but it's a bit ridiculous when you're standing there in a pile of gore that used to be the friendly bard from the grove and saying "yes, I did this, it was me." and they still maange to brush it off.

e: I do kind of love Astarion's initial reaction though.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
astarion is also more than a little horny over daddy's jimjams

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And finished the game as Tav. Legit had a smile on my face through the entire epilogue. 10/10, this might have been my favourite game ever.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Moon Slayer posted:

Lucky bugger,i’m playing at a snails pace not only because i’m enjoying it but because the game keeps standing still (characters,animations,entire area not loading) constantly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You're not playing on a platter drive, are you? I imagine this game would destroy conventional HDDs.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Entropic posted:

I have similar thoughts re durge:

Besides the unbelievable amount of naivete shown by the companions towards a literal cold blooded murderer
It also absolutely suffers from not enough forced checks or having a counter if you have been fully resisting. Multiple party members openly advise you to actually occasionally indulge the durge on your enemies but that dosen't actually matter. Like the durge romance scene might have been one of the most emotional and tense moments in the game because I successfully passed all the checks with my LI. The total lack/bugged reactions to things is extremely noticeable in the otherwise awesome final act of resistance. Totally ruined the moment for sh to go "drat that's crazy I would have been wormfood without you" and I was genuinely offended. At an absolute minimum I was expecting at least a couple of soft sobs or the narrator piping in about the party getting emotional while cutting away from them.
Anyways what im trying to say is that a top priority to make the plot/character development flow better and make more sense for a hypothetical DE is one platonic scene for everyone, a few small social scenes in act 3, one larger group scene after you acquire a netherstone and then taking an editing pen to the durge storyline to clean it up.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 14, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I guess I never had a big issue with people not freaking out over Alfira's death. Everyone in the party has major issues to deal with so it's not like most of them can sit on their high horse about that. Shadowheart follows a god who wants to cover the world in endless darkness. Astarion is a vampire. Gale saw a guy who almost ended the world and thought yeah let me grab a piece of his magic ooops now I'm a walking tactical nuke. Lae'zel is from a civilization that will kill anyone for any reason if they get in their way so what does she care? Karlach has been fighting in the Blood War for years so she's probably seen crazier poo poo. Wyll is pretty good I guess but he's also promised his soul to a devil so he can only high horse it so much as well.

I dunno like who should have a major issue with you killing Alfira? I can see certain characters voicing displeasure but they've all got huge issues of their own that are pretty much as bad or worse as murdering some poor lady. And they're all well aware despite your murderous impulses of the awful situation you're in and that they kinda need you.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

You're not playing on a platter drive, are you? I imagine this game would destroy conventional HDDs.

Got an external hdd,that’s the way to go right?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

you should have the game on an ssd if at all possible

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Good to know a few classes get new armor feats later on.

Also, with Minthy, can I just bonk her and leave her sleeping while i murder everyone else in the goblin camp and she'll be recruitable in chapter 2?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Good to know a few classes get new armor feats later on.

Also, with Minthy, can I just bonk her and leave her sleeping while i murder everyone else in the goblin camp and she'll be recruitable in chapter 2?

You specifically have to make Minthara "Temporarily Hostile" for it to work. The easiest way to do this is to steal one of the scrolls on the desk in front of her, and go into combat from the pop-up dialogue.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Just attack her without talking to her and it'll be temporary hostile unless you let a goblin hit a drum or the magic eye sounds the alarm before you kill it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Disappointing endgame rant:

If you use Gale Force 9-11 in Act 2 the narrator bitches at you and remarks that mind flayers will run invade the sword coast, but those mind flayers would lose their elder brain so they would be weak and degenerate like what we see if you use Galenuke in act 3 (where Gale had a bullshit group teleport taht he doesn't use in act 2 for some reason). Moreover, those mind flayers would be outside the city walls and not causing havoc inside and would not have nautilloids available to them. Tons of people die from Orin and Gortash's actions in act 3, which would be prevented by an act 2 detonation. Act 2 detonation is the most ethical and moral option fite me.

Raphael In act 1 and 2 contacts you and boasts about when you are at your most desperate you will come to him on your knees and submit to his deal. The soundtrack has this cool fight song where he sings like a Disney villain and I was really exited for this fight. He then disappears for act 3, and I went through the end sequence waiting for Raphael to pop out and reveal that he was behind everything all along and start this really cool boss fight were he sings his own theme song. Nope. I looked at a guide after and found out he's just some side quest in a bar. Doing that side quest puts you in the same position you would be if you were smart and worked with Balduraan. Crushing disappointment.

Khornate Harley Quinn is a bland villain and the Bhaal temple is overhyped. The main menu has the temple like it's a big deal and the main theme is a bhaalite chant, but Bhaal isn't as important as the game makes you think he is.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

So am i right in thinking this games a T-posing stuttery mess for everyone else as well? (A good entertaining mess)

Can i hope it’ll be polished as the updates happen?

What part of the game are you in and what platform are you playing on?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

An external HDD??? :stonk:

That would be your problem, yeah. This game pretty much requires you put it on an internal SSD.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wait is he serious? I just assumed he was joking. Who has a platter drive in 2023?

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

The Lord Bude posted:

Wait is he serious? I just assumed he was joking. Who has a platter drive in 2023?

Have a 4tb platter for photos and research stuff I've downloaded, along with two external platters via USB-A. But playing a game off it? No.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm having a weird issue. Every time I load up BG3 for the first time in hours/days/whatever and go to load my save, it crashes at 33% and tells me there's a data mismatch. But if I then launch the game again and load my save, it loads fine.

I've tried verifying file integrity and I've looked in the data folder to see if there's a patch.pak but the only one I see in there is patch 5 which iirc is the current patch? So I have no idea what's causing this. I don't have any mods installed. It's not a show stopper because I can eventually get my save loaded but it's kinda annoying crashing the first time I load up bg for the day.

Anyone had this issue?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

CodFishBalls posted:

Have a 4tb platter for photos and research stuff I've downloaded, along with two external platters via USB-A. But playing a game off it? No.

I haven’t owned a platter drive since 2011

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nothing wrong here, Shadowheart says while looking at me like this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Nothing wrong here, Shadowheart says while looking at me like this.

She just has to look down her nose at you, doesn't she? I left Shart in camp in my current run and she ran off after I did the Gauntlet without her. 10/10, would do again

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
drat having another issue tonight. I did the Adamantite Forge but I can't seem to use it twice. I made one armor, but the mithril ore chamber is no longer clickable no matter what I do. Tried leaving the area/coming back, doesn't matter. Can't reload that bit to try again either because it's honour mode.

I can use the mold chamber and was able to eject the mould, but I still can't add more ore to the chamber to make another suit of armor :/.

Johnny Cleanslice
Apr 25, 2022

Ginette Reno posted:

drat having another issue tonight. I did the Adamantite Forge but I can't seem to use it twice. I made one armor, but the mithril ore chamber is no longer clickable no matter what I do. Tried leaving the area/coming back, doesn't matter. Can't reload that bit to try again either because it's honour mode.

I can use the mold chamber and was able to eject the mould, but I still can't add more ore to the chamber to make another suit of armor :/.

Been a minute but I'm pretty sure I had the same issue on my most recent current patch playthrough. I raised the platform back up and fhen it worked. YMMV. If that makes sense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Johnny Cleanslice posted:

Been a minute but I'm pretty sure I had the same issue on my most recent current patch playthrough. I raised the platform back up and fhen it worked. YMMV. If that makes sense.

Yeah I've tried raising it up/down and loading the mold in/out of the mold chamber but nothing seems to work sadly. It remains unclickable

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Please don’t put it in the papers that i got ssd and hdd’s mixed up,it would ruin my cool guy cred down at the cool guy club.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lost my Honour save at last light, Isobel ran off first turn and triggered multiple free hits on her. The ensuing battle I was winning but Jaheira tripped me with an ice storm.

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
I agree that Durge kind of flip-flops in quality and ultimately ends up being kind of unsatisfying. It works very well as a personal journey, but apart from Astarion's, most of the companion reactions are too lukewarm to fit with the edgy batshit horror that is Durge's backstory.

I wonder if that's because the writers expected Durge to be people's evil playthrough, and so they expected people to kill most of the companions.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

From what I’ve seen on Youtube Durge does has some good stuff with Jaheira as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

I will say on the note of being a loot goblin, it would be really nice if you could check a box to filter out stuff you sold to the vendors. With my proclivities it was kind of a nightmare at endgame to look through their inventories to find like, alchemy ingredients and stuff.

Is there a platform that doesn’t have buttons at the top of the trade screen to filter for alchemy ingredients?