Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Warmachine posted:

...so you're saying it is POSSIBLE to get to 96 round bursts in this game?

Where can I learn this power?

The Mezoa pattern bolt pistol (chapter 1?) Has ROF 4 and magazine size 4. So anything that buffs mag size shuts it down, including the talent that gives the soldier limit break +mag size until end of combat. I did report that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Sharkopath posted:

I think you're overplaying how fiddly bounty hunter is, you mostly just press the hit things really hard button if they're a big guy, and then press your free shot button afterwards, marking the target with hunt if you're pretty sure the shots will kill them.

The prey can also give out a ton of passive bonuses to the rest of the team (especially with Trailing) so you have to consider what prey you want to hit, or let others hit.

Nessus posted:

I'm mostly just picking stuff that looks good and I'll probably look up a minmax guide at some point. I'm glad to know the Emperor provides (me with a free respec method, presumably at will if I can get at the ship)

It's not free - the first 3-4 are free, then it goes to 1 Profit Factor (and I assume it keeps ramping up in this fashion).

Xun posted:

Anyone got some good pasqal builds? I love the guy (romance when) but ironically his versatility is making it difficult for me to decide on what to build.

I think you have to decide whether you're going to build a melee or ranged Pasqal - both should work but between his class talents and Mechanicus ones (they're all REALLY good !) I reckon you can't afford to spread yourself too much. I gave him the Operator talent that builds up exploits even out of LoS and the ability that lets the whole team use exploits but other than that right now I'm sticking with Plasma poo poo - adding INT to BS and dmg, regaining AP on shots and so on. Not sure what advanced AT I'm going to pick. Since I use him more as a passive support and skill monkey than DPS I'll probably go Tactician this time to focus even more on skills and Mecha talents - Tactician abilities are pretty self-sufficient, hands-off and mostly don't rely on attributes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Warmachine posted:

...so you're saying it is POSSIBLE to get to 96 round bursts in this game?

Where can I learn this power?

It's possible with either really low RoF guns that have burst, or conversely with the Improved Heavy Bolter. Which only has 60 bullets, so it's much more achievable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The first three or four respecs per person or at all

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The first 3-4 total, and the Profit Factor cost ramps up by 1 for each respec after that. You can respec for free with the Toybox mod though, as well as respec companions from level 0.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Well I think my save is toast. I got to the end of Act 3 and things started to go haywire. I had a couple of side quests break but that was basically fine since I think they just skipped forward or were kind of whatever.

I had a companion interaction bug out, then the Act 4 starting cutscene planet side stopped abruptly and I teleported to my bridge. After that, everything was kind of a mess. I now can't even enter the colony management screen (it just goes kind of opaque).

Oh well, another 30 hours through the Beta :unsmith:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Hiring mercs also costs 1 PF and there doesn't seem to be a way to dismiss them, so now I'm stuck with a permanent -3 PF after going hog wild early on. It's not a huge deal but I'm guessing Toybox can help with that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What's a PF? I haven't talked to that one NPC since I first got to my bridge

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
along with faction reputation it determines what stuff you can yoink from the various factions, since you mostly deal in bulk the items are "free" but require a certain reputation level and a certain amount of profit factor. you get more through various events and planet stuff. it also gives you a reason to loot everything since everything can be cargo-ized and "sold" for reputation gains. you'll turn into a weapon and armor dealer since you tend to get tons of trash weapons and trash armors that you end up vendoring for rep

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Profit Factor.

The shops in this game are gated by reputation and the PF#, you can freely take everything unlocked.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sab669 posted:

Profit Factor, essentially how insanely wealthy you are. Buying most things doesn't actually cost any resources, it just requires a certain level of profit facyot. It also plays in to things like colony upgrade requirements etc.

You can spend/lose it in events or by respecing/creating mercs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh right

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Lore question / intro Why do we need a Navigator to leave the warp? If you want to get somewhere specific you need a Navigator to, well, navigate, but if the only direction you're interested in going is 'out' then that's an engineering challenge not a cartographic one.

(Voidships can enter and leave the warp just fine with no Navigator, Chartist captains do it all the time. It's just that without someone capable of seeing where you're going you might end up anywhere)

Exiting the warp near a populated planet can do all sorts of nasty things to the people and the planet. You can also end up inside of a sun or stranded in empty space with nothing nearby to use your normal engines to get to.

I don't have a specific part of the fluff in mind when I say this but I also believe that attempting to translate into or out of the warp without a navigator can just flat out do nothing or blow your ship up.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Seems like if you're going caster Psyker your only viable option is Officer. Operative is finicky. It does allows for some good single target damage, but doesn't transition you into a class that can give you more value. Different problem with Soldier, while run and gun has its uses, the ultimate abilities will just not work for you if you've got a staff, which you should as a caster.

Officer allows you to transition into the best specialty: Master Tactician. The cadence becomes buff buff buff BIG ATTACK, buff buff buff.

The amount of pitfalls in character creation and evolution is both insane and punishing. Respecs penalize profit whatever and if you've chosen any other class besides Officer, god help your Psyker MC and your eyes seeing so many buttons that you just wont push.

Melee Psykers are also an option and then you wouldn't have to be an officer, but not for me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Melee Psyker Officer (especially diviner or biomancy) seems strong, it's what I've been doing now that I restarted. You can throw out tons of buffs then just toss yourself into melee to remain useful - my gun-wielding officer on my first save never ended up using their gun because all my AP went to buffs and officer abilities, but melee can still soak damage or get attacks of opportunity with no AP.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 13, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I finally beat that encounter in Odaenathus with the constantly reinforcing Drukhari frigates. Their short range shredder cannons are awful to deal with, and the last one came down to me needing to set a torpedo trap--launch torpedoes, burn in a straight line, then smack the pursuer with the torpedo.

edit: And the reward for the compass rumor

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 13, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Warmachine posted:

I finally beat that encounter in Odaenathus with the constantly reinforcing Drukhari frigates. Their short range shredder cannons are awful to deal with, and the last one came down to me needing to set a torpedo trap--launch torpedoes, burn in a straight line, then smack the pursuer with the torpedo.

edit: And the reward for the compass rumor

weirdly if you beat all the initial frigates in the first round you straight-up win. I got lucky and one-shot one with torpedoes while my cannons and the buddy frigate took care of the other two

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Exiting the warp near a populated planet can do all sorts of nasty things to the people and the planet. You can also end up inside of a sun or stranded in empty space with nothing nearby to use your normal engines to get to.

I don't have a specific part of the fluff in mind when I say this but I also believe that attempting to translate into or out of the warp without a navigator can just flat out do nothing or blow your ship up.

You're trying to thread a needle where bumping the sides can do anything from destroying you utterly to getting you lost in the warp with no way out. Its what you do when you are utterly out of options and the alternative is worth than death.

Chartist vessels travel extremely slowly through the warp on extremely well defined and traveled routes that can take years or decades to complete. It's like flying a plane through thick clouds without a gps, unless you know exactly when to do what you're going to plow into a mountain at best.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If I create a telepathy psyker, is there an option to Jedi Mind Trick every NPC dialogue option

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Outside of the prologue I have noticed almost no reactivity to the Rogue Trader being a psyker, but I’m only most of the way through chapter 2.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Huh. They put an entire "wait in line at the DMV" segment in the game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't really "get" how I should be navigating the giant star map. I just keep force traveling as far as I can getting caught up in random encounters. Is that the "intent"? Nurgling outbreak on the Bridge :supaburn: I can't believe all this is happening on my playthrough where every time I was presented with a Heresey option I took it :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

One of the quirks of the setting in an RPG sense is the absolute monopoly Tech-Priests have on all of the Tech skills, can't think of any other character archetype to fill that role without getting into xenos or chaos options.

Voidborn and Hive World origins can mitigate this but yeah a party with no toasterfucker is a huge pain.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I don't really "get" how I should be navigating the giant star map. I just keep force traveling as far as I can getting caught up in random encounters. Is that the "intent"? Nurgling outbreak on the Bridge :supaburn: I can't believe all this is happening on my playthrough where every time I was presented with a Heresey option I took it :v:

Yes, warp travel is supposed to be difficult and dangerous. Very wooden ships and iron men 17th century exploration inspiration. In that time period it was pretty normal for ships to disappear for a year and show up without warning full of half dead sailors or a bunch of Malay pirates who signed on when the captain was desperate and may not be very controllable. So that's your historical inspiration for a great deal of space nonsense.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sab669 posted:

in the setting sometimes when ships enter the warp they don't exit it until like a thousand years have passed in non-warp time. Sometimes they exit the warp before they've left it. some weird poo poo happens in the warp

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pattonesque posted:

in the setting sometimes when ships enter the warp they don't exit it until like a thousand years have passed in non-warp time. Sometimes they exit the warp before they've left it. some weird poo poo happens in the warp

My favorite is when an Ork warboss ended up popping out of the warp right on top of... his own ship that was about to go on that trip. Naturally he killed his past self so he could get two of his favorite gun and managed to almost double the size of his Waaaagh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I used to play 40K like 15 years ago (:negative:) and am loosely familiar with most of the lore on a vague high level, I just wasn't sure if there was like a smarter/safer way to do this in-game. It just feels very hamfisty

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

You earn roughly enough Navigator Points from scanning for new warp routes to never have to travel down "dangerous" unforced pathways, you can always reduce them to Unsafe (yellow), and traveling on Unsafe provides lots of text events but only occasional random encounters that you have to load in and deal with.

What I ended up doing is cheating in a bunch of Navigator Points with Toybox so that I could force warp routes and set them all to Unsafe, which feels like the most appropriate warp traveling difficulty lore-wise - poo poo is always going wrong thematically but it only becomes catastrophic occasionally. The cheating in Nav Points thing is mostly because traveling around the starmap gets very tedious when you have to constantly move one system at a time and do a lot of backtracking.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Sab669 posted:

You might have skipped tutorial for it.

TLDR:
At each star system you can press button under the star to 'chart routes'.
You get Routes to nearby stars, that are lines coded red, orange, yellow and green based on how dangerous the route is.
Each time you chart routes, you get 1 point that can be used to permanently lower the danger level of one route.
You can also fly to any system you see like you did, but difficulty of that route starts always red.
These become new permanent routes, that can be made easier with points.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

On top of how the warp shifts around a lot, and realspace varies with time, every navigator sees differently. They can share charts to an extent, but Cassia's charts are Cassia's charts. She literally paints an emotional landscape to find ways around.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

One of the quirks of the setting in an RPG sense is the absolute monopoly Tech-Priests have on all of the Tech skills, can't think of any other character archetype to fill that role without getting into xenos or chaos options.

I adore the admech. One part the worst tech support call you've ever had, one part trade union so powerful It made a living God and dictator of humanity put up with its bullshit, one part Eastern Orthodox style religion that's possibly worshiping a ctan. It's one of the many little things that separate 40K from other science fiction settings.

In my homebrew chapter the techmarine battlecry is the binary for "Read the loving manual"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
For disciplining unruly Machine Spirits, first you must try the cycle of Negation, followed by waiting ten mini-cycles in prayer to the Omnimessiah, and then energize the Machine Spirit with the Cycle of Activation. For all other issues, as the most holy manual states, "Readus Technicalus Scriptures as your first activity."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I hope all their helpdesk tickets are printed on giant scrolls as big as the trade warrant in this game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Further Reading posted:

Ranged pyro psyker is deffo possible, I'm watching a build video atm going over it although it seems it might take a while to get online.

In terms of the "when x get y" combo, one little thing that helped me cement a great party was realising that my arch militant talent to add flat damage to enemies with lowered deflection can be triggered reliably by a bounty hunter ability. It's cool finding little synergies like that. One funny narrative is that my Eldar is giving the debuff for Argenta to take advantage of, so I have a sister of battle begrudgingly synergising with a filthy xenos.

If she ever complains, just point out to her that even the highly looked up to Celestine is entirely fine working alongside them depending on the circumstances - and in fact possibly is doing so at the exact same time as this adventure is taking place (depending on just where we are timeframe-wise in relation to the survivors of Cadia retreating).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Really surprised there hasn't even been a minor bugfix pushed yet. Maybe Owlcat is taking their time to do a big 1.1 update to fix as much stuff as they can in one go.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pentyne posted:

Really surprised there hasn't even been a minor bugfix pushed yet. Maybe Owlcat is taking their time to do a big 1.1 update to fix as much stuff as they can in one go.

When is it coming out, does anyone know?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Someone in this thread said it was going to be later this week, Thursday specifically. I didn't look into it at all though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

If she ever complains, just point out to her that even the highly looked up to Celestine is entirely fine working alongside them depending on the circumstances - and in fact possibly is doing so at the exact same time as this adventure is taking place (depending on just where we are timeframe-wise in relation to the survivors of Cadia retreating).

proposal to have this game end with Guilliman punching through the warp rift to review the Rogue Trader's actions point by point like Jean Vicquemare does to Harry at the end of Disco Elysium

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Eifert Posting posted:

There's also the rather salient detail that at that specific point in the story, the Warp is very definitely *inside the ship*. Normally Imperial ships navigate inside a bubble of safe, normal space generated inside the warp by a special thingamajig called the Geller Field generator, which lets them operate and get in and out of the warp safe-ish.
But when every gizmo inside the ship is going fucky because of Chaos gremlins, however... ya better have Ye Olde Unsavoury Mutant onboard to do all the things the cogs can't anymore.

SirFozzie posted:

For disciplining unruly Machine Spirits, first you must try the cycle of Negation, followed by waiting ten mini-cycles in prayer to the Omnimessiah, and then energize the Machine Spirit with the Cycle of Activation. For all other issues, as the most holy manual states, "Readus Technicalus Scriptures as your first activity."

If all else should fail, recite the Canticle of Reprobative Yet Hopeful Admonition then endeavour the Ritual of Percussive Maintenance.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

CommissarMega posted:

When is it coming out, does anyone know?

Their Steam thread says their plan is "14-15 december"